Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A newly-posted YouTube video appears to show a Mac OS X version of Adobe Audition, the company's all-in-one application package dedicated to professional audio production, in action. Audition began life as Cool Edit Pro, but was acquired by Adobe in 2003, which rebranded it as Audition and continued development on the project.

Adobe Audition 3, the most recent version, was released in November 2007 and is available only on Windows. The tool-based Audition is considered to be a step up from its task-based Soundbooth CS5 targeting video professionals without a background in professional audio production. Soundbooth CS5 is already available for Mac either as a standalone purchase or as part of the Creative Suite 5 Production Premium or Master Collections.

Compared to the $199 price point of the standalone Soundbooth CS5, Adobe Audition 3 is priced at $349 for the full version and $99 for upgrades. Audition also competes with Apple's Logic platform in a number of areas, although the two applications obviously currently operate exclusively on different platforms.

Article Link: Adobe Audition Coming to Mac OS X?

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
...or is it just Parallels or VMWare's window-less thing, that makes windows apps look integrated into the OSX landscape?

edit: just watched it... the menus look legit - spotlight and all... hmmm

iWonderwhy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Great, hopefully it's coming to Mac, already using it on my PC, but to have it on a Mac would be even better.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
About time, the mac has been devoid of a good wave editor for an eternity, now if only Sony would release Sound Forge too, with a choice of those two I could nearly be completely shut of windows in my workflow.

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
About time, the mac has been devoid of a good wave editor for an eternity, now if only Sony would release Sound Forge too, with a choice of those two I could nearly be completely shut of windows in my workflow.

I'm finally digging into soundtrack, from logic studio, right now and it's pretty powerful for my needs. I cut my teeth using soundforge... miss that thing!

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
VmWare Fusion Unity Mode FAIL!

oD0l4c0968f85f6b3.png

FAKE!

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
The text:

"I found this video attached on a user forum and I had to put it on YouTube. Could Adobe be secretly working on Audition for the Mac? What do you think, is it real?"

Makes me think it's a fake. Just seems far to convenient.. found on a unnamed forum and asking "is it real?". User only has one video too. I wouldn't trust it personally.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Sweeet!!!

Now I'll finally be able to open and revisit all our bands old cooledit projects!

We always knew we could rebuild them all in Logic, but my god, thousands of hours of work already spent, to duplicate again... no way.

Cooledit was quick and easy and clean.

kmstrs

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007

Wrong. That icon just means that VMWare is installed on the computer, not that the app is actually using it. I have the same icon on my menu bar and I never run any programs under unity.

theaudioguy

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
It looks legit

I work on Adobe Audition 3.0 for Windows every day at work, and the Audition on the video has more features than any Adobe Audition out there. For example: at about 1:23 on the video, the wave form windows splits to show the normal view as well as the Spectral Frequency view. The PC versions CANNOT do this. And even the splash screen when it starts is not like any other Audition either. There is no way that the Adobe Audition in the video is a PC version.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I'm finally digging into soundtrack, from logic studio, right now and it's pretty powerful for my needs. I cut my teeth using soundforge... miss that thing!

Soundtrack has improved since version 1, especially since they fixed the easy to reproduce long standing bug that could blow your tweeters, or deafen you if you had headphones on.

But it's still flawed, the batch processing takes an age, as it has to auto update the waveform view in 'Shiny Shiny' realtime, and why oh why is there no option to (I forget its name in Pro Tools and Soundforge) playback from the selected cursor point without dropping markers. It's good for editing a few files, but it can't handle the task at having to playthrough and edit hundreds of files when there are deadlines looming.

Plus Sound Forge and Auto Trim/Crop = Win everytime.

Anyway, Audition on the PC is pretty nifty for batch processing too.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
The text:

"I found this video attached on a user forum and I had to put it on YouTube. Could Adobe be secretly working on Audition for the Mac? What do you think, is it real?"

Makes me think it's a fake. Just seems far to convenient.. found on a unnamed forum and asking "is it real?". User only has one video too. I wouldn't trust it personally.

Someone found an unreleased iPhone at a bar :p

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I'll stick with Pro Tools thanks. (Or Logic)

Two of my favorite tools (and toys), but I've always viewed them as multitrack DAWs/Sequencers, and neither of them have the same depth that a good stand alone wave editor has, likewise the more Multitrack elements some of the Wave editors add the more I ignore them, as I can't see them being as good, or as useful as either Pro Tools or Logic.

I've tried DSP quattro, wave editor, Peak and STP2, and none stand up to their Windows counter parts of Audition, or Sound Forge (8 being my fave).

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
I work on Adobe Audition 3.0 for Windows every day at work, and the Audition on the video has more features than any Adobe Audition out there. For example: at about 1:23 on the video, the wave form windows splits to show the normal view as well as the Spectral Frequency view. The PC versions CANNOT do this. And even the splash screen when it starts is not like any other Audition either. There is no way that the Adobe Audition in the video is a PC version.

The loading screen said it was a prerelease version. Maybe it's a PC prerelease version, run under VmWare?

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Does the OS X menu bar get populated with the application menu if run with VMWare Fusion Unity?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Look at the screenshot. The menu is a mac menu complete with mac shortcuts and the menu structure of a mac program. Mac programs have functionality to quit the program or set preferences in the "Program name" menu while load and save are in the "File" menu. Windows programs have no "Program Name" menu and shove both file operations and closing functions into the "file" menu.

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty

oD0l4c0968f85f6b3.png

FAKE!

That means absolutely nothing. I have a similar icon on my mac. Just means that vmware is installed. It most certainly doesn't mean that the app you're watching is running under vmware. The app itself certainly isn't showing any Windows GUI crap.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Dear god I hope they put audition on the mac. I loved it in CS3. Soundbooth on CS4 for mac is buggy on certian things. I know the guys that work on it (Adobe Seattle) and they are cool folks but I asked them what the heck was up and they try to change the topic lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.