PDA

View Full Version : Loss of speed using MyWi?

ryanwarsaw
Jun 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
So I have only Edge available in my area and was wondering, if I use MyWi to tether is there much loss in the speed when it goes from one device to the next? Can anybody test the speed of their stand alone device and then test it with MyWi and post their result?

My speed is already slow enough that if I lose any speed in the transfer it would be painful.

This is unrelated but is there a hack for the iPad that allows it to make regular text messages? I am not in the USA so textplus isn't a solution. I need a texting solution that works like normal texting on any network.

dhlizard
Jun 4, 2010, 05:53 PM
So I have only Edge available in my area and was wondering, if I use MyWi to tether is there much loss in the speed when it goes from one device to the next? Can anybody test the speed of their stand alone device and then test it with MyWi and post their result?

My speed is already slow enough that if I lose any speed in the transfer it would be painful.

This is unrelated but is there a hack for the iPad that allows it to make regular text messages? I am not in the USA so textplus isn't a solution. I need a texting solution that works like normal texting on any network.

The speed of my MacBook tethered thru my 3GS using MyWi is about 1400 kps but it does work, better than no connection at all.

ryanwarsaw
Jun 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
How does that compare to your speed on your iPhone?

Applejuiced
Jun 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
Wow, tethering thru Edge? It will be slow but still doable.
Kinda like using a 56K modem.