Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timhowie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Since buying my MacBook Air (MBA) I have loved it except for the wifi which kept hanging as the system searches for new connections even when connected. The solution is to buy a bearextender n3 - - I suggest googling that and reading the reviews. Since buying one my wifi connection has been continuos, reliable and so much faster. It cost $50 plus shipping but is worth every cent for the extra usability it brings. Apparently it was designed to find connections one can't find without, but for I use it to get a much better connection to my home wifi. It's a shame to have to buy something to do what the MBA should do out of the box, but there you go.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Never had this problem, and even downloading files that are several hundred MB is usually pretty quick.

Are you sure it's the MBA, and not your service provider or modem/router?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I never have problems with Apple's own AirPort Extreme Base Station. However, I had problems all the time before I moved to the AEBS. Apple products work well together. Unfortunately, they don't work as well with non-Apple products.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Since buying my MacBook Air (MBA) I have loved it except for the wifi which kept hanging as the system searches for new connections even when connected. The solution is to buy a bearextender n3 - - I suggest googling that and reading the reviews. Since buying one my wifi connection has been continuos, reliable and so much faster. It cost $50 plus shipping but is worth every cent for the extra usability it brings. Apparently it was designed to find connections one can't find without, but for I use it to get a much better connection to my home wifi. It's a shame to have to buy something to do what the MBA should do out of the box, but there you go.

Uhm. This post is suspicious to say the least...

timhowie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Recommendation

Sorry if you found my recommendation suspicious. It is a genuine recommendation. I have been using the bear since May and have had no problems. If you don't have a problem with the macbook Air wifi, then I envy you, but in that case likely no need for this product.
Tim

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
My problem is that every time it wakes from sleep, about 30 seconds after connecting to the network the router freezes and stops responding to any of the laptops or iDevices on my network until I walk over and reset the thing.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
What I did to fix my issue was change the channel on my router. I changed it to number 4 and ever since then, my Wifi has been very fast. When I first got my Air two days ago, I kept getting frustrated with it randomly disconnecting me, so I read up on some information and changed the channel. Ever since then, it has been working GREAT!

califguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
My problem is that every time it wakes from sleep, about 30 seconds after connecting to the network the router freezes and stops responding to any of the laptops or iDevices on my network until I walk over and reset the thing.

Which model wireless router are you using ? Upload your kernel.log file someplace and post a link and maybe someone can take a look and help.

Also, post in the Apple Discussion groups. Chances of Apple folks noticing there is higher.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Interesting.

This is my third Air and I personally have never had an issue with the WiFi. I'm a computer consultant and probably average 3 different connections to different routers a week. In fact, I'm usually amazed how strong the signal usually is.

But, my buddy who is still on a RevA, 1.6GHz Air says he has WiFi problems all the time both at work and home. He also says his work routers will go a little crazy when he connects and will sometimes not let other users connect if he is connected.

Very strange, but thanks for the tip. I'll look into the device just to see what it can do. And, I'll pass this on to my buddy.

RanEnRui

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know what they put in the current-gen Time Capsules but my goodness are they fast. I thought my internet was capped at 6 MBps but actually it's 10! Plus, it'll work with your Macs perfectly. :) They have them for $220 refurb, which is probably a replaced PSU since that seemed to be what plagued them for a bit.

Signal strength is amazing all throughout the house too. I'd say its your router if that's the case. I had a pretty good one (Linksys WRT300N) but the TC takes the cake AND it offers NAS capabilities. Any issues with wireless have typically been related to channel, security, or network cards. The network cards in Macs seem to be very good. Using "unofficial" (like 14 in the US) or congested channels can also add to problems. I've seen some issues with routers properly implementing WPA, especially WPA2. If you can switch between TKIP/AES, see which works best for you though I'd try AES first.

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
Wifi Experience with Linksys WRT54G

I have a four year old Linksys Wrt54G supporting the concurrent operation of a iMac, Macbook Pro, and a Sharp LCD internet capable TV. Runs without interruption, my Comcast speedtest clocks around 12 MB. This old router is running with the original firmware. My experience is that if it works, don't change anything.

Martincito

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
I'm having WIFI issues with my brand new MacBook Air.
At the office is all the time connecting and disconnecting by itself but at home works fine.

Before I got the new Air I was bringing to work my MacBook Pro and I never had this problem.
Nobody else using MacBook pro is having WIFI Issues at the office. Nobody else has an Air, so I can't check if it is a product problem.

I don't know what to do. I bought the Air basically to bring it to the office, if I can't fix this I'm going to return it.

jahman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
UK
Just got my new MBA home and am trying to connect to my wi-fi router(DLink DIR 655) but it's not having it all. I get "There was an error joining the selected network. Check your Airport settings or try joining a different network."

Not terribly impressed as my iPhone and iMac have no trouble connecting! Any ideas? I am actually in the process of first power up and installation and it won't let me continue without a wireless connection!

Cheers,

jahman

jahman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
UK
Just got my new MBA home and am trying to connect to my wi-fi router(DLink DIR 655) but it's not having it all. I get "There was an error joining the selected network. Check your Airport settings or try joining a different network."

Not terribly impressed as my iPhone and iMac have no trouble connecting! Any ideas? I am actually in the process of first power up and installation and it won't let me continue without a wireless connection!

Cheers,

jahman

Relax! Problem solved. Helps if you're typing in the correct password;)! Apple is off the hook and I've shredded the old password! Jumping to conclusions after reading stuff about wi-fi issues. Loving my new machine already.

Cheers,

jahman

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Relax! Problem solved. Helps if you're typing in the correct password;)! Apple is off the hook and I've shredded the old password! Jumping to conclusions after reading stuff about wi-fi issues. Loving my new machine already.

Cheers,

jahman

If I only had a dime for every time I've done this. Rushing to setup the new toy and fat finger the PW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.