PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER British Airways strike (5th June)

niuniu
Jun 5, 2010, 08:52 AM
I thought they'd just finished one recently, like a 5 day affair, and here they go again. We really need to have a look at the law behind Striking. It's a great right - but it shouldn't give employees to drag a company into the mud like this, especially when BA staff are pretty well paid with some tasty perks.

Definitely feel myself losing support for their cause. Whatever the issue is, it should be resolved in a tribunal of some sort, or through shareholder's meeting or what have you. But not like this - the loss of business benefits no-one in the end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10243729.stm

You see the Union leader as well - he's like a cheesy throwback from the coal mining era. Really can't stand listening to him on the news.

roadbloc
Jun 5, 2010, 09:00 AM
If you work for British Airways and are on strike this week, next time you see a soldier who's returned from Afghanistan make sure you tell him/her about your awful working conditions, poor uniform and low pay!!!!!
Thats all I have to say.

djellison
Jun 5, 2010, 02:44 PM
I vowed never to fly BA again after a return trip LHR-JFK where the in flight entertainment didn't work in either direction, the food was crap, and the plane in both directions no better than something Easyjet or Ryanair would use.

Virgin are an order of magnitude better, and even United ( who I use for trans-atlantic travel now ) are a good deal better, especially with the room offered in Economy Plus for $100 each way.

So - they lost me as a customer 3 years ago. I'm shedding no tears if they go under or collapse as a result of this.

mkjj
Jun 7, 2010, 08:21 AM
Had to cancel my 2 year in the planning 25th wedding anniversary to Vegas due to the strike and what do I see in the papers at the weekend?

That poor excuse for a Liverpudlian, Unite leader going on holiday in the middle of a strike! and using EasyJet!
He gets paid 122K a year, Range Rover Sport and has a 350K house in Cheshire. Says it all really.

If I ever see him around Liverpool I give him a punch on the nose (clean version) from everyone who has been affected!! :D

niuniu
Jun 7, 2010, 08:24 AM
That poor excuse for a Liverpudlian, Unite leader going on holiday in the middle of a strike! and using EasyJet!
He gets paid 122K a year, Range Rover Sport and has a 350K house in Cheshire.

No way!

I really had no idea. No wonder he's not worried about dragging the strike out, he's absolutely minted!

iBlue
Jun 7, 2010, 08:28 AM
Never flown with them and I don't think I ever will precisely because their incessant petty striking makes them unreliable jackasses.

Cram it, BA. http://upc.edesignuk.com/uploads/smilies/mofugger.gif

arkitect
Jun 7, 2010, 08:32 AM
Unite leader…
He gets paid 122K a year, Range Rover Sport and has a 350K house in Cheshire. Says it all really.
he's absolutely minted!

Cost of living in Cheshire must be low…
If he lived in London he'd be only marginally well off. ;)
350k doesn't buy you much real estate here.
And every second mum on "the school run" has a Range Rover or larger.
:p

niuniu
Jun 7, 2010, 08:58 AM
double post

niuniu
Jun 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
You're definitely right, the gf and I can get a mortgage over 350k but.. most of those mums don't have a 122k salary nor will many of their city husbands! If he wants he can on his own have a home over the 1.5mill mark, and that's not accounting for any other income this guy or his wife pulls in..

You can pick up a 'posh' RR Sport for 20k these days so appearances can be deceiving, especially living in London where a lot of people need to live a pretense of wealth, yet are crippled in debt (lived there in misery for 4 years).

mkjj
Jun 7, 2010, 09:44 AM
350k doesn't buy you much real estate here.

That's true! Watched Location, Location last night 300K for a flat in Ealing (or was it Chiswick?) Crazy!

I wouldn't mind a cheap RR though to replace my 9 year old Puma! :D

Dagless
Jun 8, 2010, 08:02 AM
The whole pricing thing here is insania. I live in a nice place along with Prof Brian Cox and Paul Scholes. The most expensive houses here fetch around 1 million but jeez louise if they were in London they'd be worth 10 million (grounds included). You pay to be nearer the action here, not for the nicer/bigger house.

Anyroad yea. That scouser bloke. What a twunt.

MagicWok
Jun 8, 2010, 09:08 AM
Never flown with them and I don't think I ever will precisely because their incessant petty striking makes them unreliable jackasses.
Cram it, BA. http://upc.edesignuk.com/uploads/smilies/mofugger.gif

While I agree almost entirely, it's not BA themselves that are striking. It's the BA Staff that are members of Unite that are striking. They're still jackasses lol.

I'm the same, never ever flying with BA for at least the short & medium term simply because there are constant strikes by these greedy ass-faces... Those staff get no sympathy from me what-so-ever...