PDA

View Full Version : Eric Koston: Apple Ad

arn
Aug 11, 2002, 10:16 PM
Vernon let us know that Slap Skateboard Magazine (http://www.slapmagazine.com/new_site/news/index.shtml) reporting that Eric Koston (Bio (http://expn.go.com/athletes/bios/KOSTON_ERIC.html)) will be in an Apple Commercial:

Eric Koston is going to be featured in an upcoming Apple computers commercial, and we hear he might be getting on the flow team at Apple. iPods, G4s, Titanium laptizzys, whatchou need?

Celebrity based Apple ads (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/06/20020619030946.shtml) have been rumored as the second part of Apple's switch campaign.

ponyboy
Aug 11, 2002, 10:33 PM
Kosten deserves it!

puffmarvin
Aug 11, 2002, 10:35 PM
um... who?

G4scott
Aug 11, 2002, 10:37 PM
I wonder what other famous people are going to be featured in these ads?

And what does it mean to be 'getting on the flow team'?

IndyGopher
Aug 11, 2002, 10:52 PM
This is the new highwater mark.. From this moment on, whenever I hear the term, "Slow News Day" I will remember this article. Even after reading the "bio" link, I still know nothing about this person.. and have exactly no urge to find out any more. If this is the sort of marketing Apple has planned... then I really hope the hardware can stand on its own.

iMac v. 0.4
Aug 11, 2002, 11:13 PM
If anyone is wondering Eric Koston is a skateboarder (if you didn't figure out from the link). Although he's not the most popular skater he's still well known by most people who watch skateboarding. I believe he was in the latest X Games commercial and I know he's been in the the video game Tony Hawk Pro Skater. So yeah for the people apple is targeting in this ad (teenagers) he is a good choice.

Shrek
Aug 11, 2002, 11:24 PM
I saw a rumor that Britney Spears will be featured in an Apple Switch Ad here (http://www.oliverwillis.com/archives/002432.php). :cool:

PyroTurtle
Aug 11, 2002, 11:48 PM
um, if you live in southern california and like skateboarding even a little, you know who this guy is
in the skateboarding realm he is huge...and he's the next gen guy for apple (opened the new store in LA actually)
all they need now is to get tony hawk to do an ad, sence all he has in his office is Mac's
this is actually a good idea for apple, because it's all those guys that are groupies that love skateboarding can now get the computer that their idle is using, and that's alot of kids, heck, my little brothers friend just found out cause he was over and is now begging his mom to get a mac. this is a good thing

seven5
Aug 12, 2002, 12:58 AM
this is a brilliant idea. I live in the city, and every kid out skating these days is filming it. I used to work in a skate/snow shop and kids love the vids... With the easy film editing macs provide, kids will eat this up.

And by the way, the "flow team" means, free stuff....

Flow, here, would be a verb, when sponsored riders get free stuff from sponsors or reps, they "get flowwed some product"

bousozoku
Aug 12, 2002, 01:03 AM
It seems to me I was reading one of the skating mags who had interviewed Tony Hawk about his business. He showed how he couldn't get through the day without his Macs, which was very kewl.

Yesterday, I saw Tony Hawk 4...for the PC. Did number 2 sell many copies on the Mac?

Rocketman
Aug 12, 2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
um, if you live in southern california and like skateboarding even a little, you know who this guy is
in the skateboarding realm he is huge...and he's the next gen guy for apple (opened the new store in LA actually)
all they need now is to get tony hawk to do an ad, sence all he has in his office is Mac's
this is actually a good idea for apple, because it's all those guys that are groupies that love skateboarding can now get the computer that their idle is using, and that's alot of kids, heck, my little brothers friend just found out cause he was over and is now begging his mom to get a mac. this is a good thing

Tony's best friend(s) are Mac heads too.

Some of my best friends are sponsored boarders :)

Rocketman

PyroTurtle
Aug 12, 2002, 01:56 AM
alot of the skate crowd has become mac oriented due to the coprorations using mac hardware to design all the clothing...this is what i get for being a mac guy and living in orange county. billabong, pac sun, stussy, voldom, she devil, hurley, vans, quicksilver, and es are just some of the companies that have design houses here.
no wonder los angelus and orange counties are considered the highest density of mac users in the world (not to mention all the other graphics firms, architectual firms, printing companies, magazine companies, etc)
however, back to the post topic, skateboarders in switch campaign ads...
as most of Generation X is into "extreem" sports stuff, having those guys do comercials and other stuff is a great way to spread the word. apple is really realizing this with the fact that kosten and two others were there the day the Los Angelus store was open, and there were quite a few people there just to see those guys, the apple store wasn't reallty a huge consideration, but at least one guy just baught an iPod just cause he was there and he had room on his credit card...
enough with the babble, if everyone couldn't tell, i'm really liking this campaign and hope that it kicks it in gear in a big way

mac15
Aug 12, 2002, 03:21 AM
koston rips it up, and I'm glad tony hawk didn't get it

Megaquad
Aug 12, 2002, 04:23 AM
You know,not only teenagers skate,there are many people which are about 20-25 years old,even older. Anyway, Eric Koston is nice,but Rodney Mullen is insane! I saw video from THPS3,i mean..he can skate on his hands and return to legs with flip :D (and i think he also uses mac)
I know tony is mac user,chad muska,steve caballero..the list goes on.
I forgot to mention that i am skater too,maybe they put me in commercial? ;)
BTW,I cant wait to show that commercial to some of my friends,I think it'll hit them in the spot.

mac15
Aug 12, 2002, 04:29 AM
yeah I own Tony Hawk 3 and the mullen section is insane, I have alot videos with him in it, PM me if you want some of them cause I like to share

theaz
Aug 12, 2002, 08:12 AM
I hope they pull more guys out like this :)

slaboda
Aug 12, 2002, 12:59 PM
David Carey is the publisher of the New Yorker, and he was featured in the second batch of Switch ads.

8thDegreeSavage
Aug 12, 2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
This is the new highwater mark.. From this moment on, whenever I hear the term, "Slow News Day" I will remember this article. Even after reading the "bio" link, I still know nothing about this person.. and have exactly no urge to find out any more. If this is the sort of marketing Apple has planned... then I really hope the hardware can stand on its own.

Your obviously a dinosaur or socially redundant.

Anyways, BOOOYAH!...great news and great things are coming from Apple, they are moving in the right direction, I have seen alot of skate videos with Apples in them.
Koston is probley one of the best street skaters in the world, he seriously kills *****.
My hat goes off to Apple, they need to have a more diversified marketing campain. This is a good start. People in the traditional scopes such as Graphic design and Film Etc already know Apples are the ****, using a underground culture to promote Apple is the right direction to go in, the Skate culture has always been on the edge(save Cali..thats the MEcca of Skating) and it apeals to a certain faction of youth culture, but everyone knows that skaters have always been cooler than jocks, and more up on what is "happening".

I urge you all to look for some Skate video material on Koston on the Web..the guy is AMAZING.

SPG
Aug 12, 2002, 02:41 PM
Koston is definitely a good choice. All the skate and snow guys have been very Mac for a long time now. Last summer the Burton team house at Mt Hood had literally a pile of G4 tiBooks on the living room table. Just about every pro rider had one, not a PC in sight. That should have been an Apple ad, all these guys who travel most of the year all decided that Macs were better.
My bet for the next serious celebrity ad would be Shaquile Oneil, he forced the entire Lakers team to buy iPods or he wouldn't let them back on the bus.

el_aarono
Aug 12, 2002, 02:49 PM
Eric Koston also has a trick named after him: the Crooked grind. It used to be called a K-grind (K for Koston of course). Who else has a trick named for them? Mike McGill has the McTwist and Steve Caballero has the cabalerial and Half-cab.

Erick Koston is an excellent choice for representing Apple because as a skater he is super technical and innovative but at the same time he has a super smooth style.

The Koston ad will be very effective. This move by apple is slicker than Joe Camel trying to get kids hooked on smoking. All the little skate rats copy everthing the pros do, even throwing a fit and breaking their boards when they can't pull a trick. It's pretty pathetic, but Apple is smart to capitalize on it.

Archer
Aug 12, 2002, 04:08 PM
Koston is a great choice. Living in LA and having some knowledge of skateboarding the name Koston earns much respect. If you want some history about Koston and Apple go back to the original iBook Apple ads (Print). Koston is on the screen, so Koston and Apple have worked together in the past. As recently as the grand opening of "The Grove" store in Hollywood Koston among other skaters from Girl, Element, and Black Label helped kick off the Apple store with a skate demo. Check out the Apple link under store for pics.

I like the move, and have much respect for Koston who captures the best of what LA, skateboarding and Apple is all about - class with some flash. Check out the Es video from Brazil for some great scenes with Koston and others. :p I don't think Koston's a switcher by the by, but rather a die hard loyal. Perhaps this line will follow when the Switch ads get a bit old.

springscansing
Oct 26, 2002, 05:09 AM
How about someone who doesn't use a board?!

Why not get Danny Elfman to do one. He's a big mac fan. Lots of people know him, or at least his work.

- Springs

PS - If you haven't heard Danny Elfman, you have't seen a movie in like 10 years. :-)

Nipsy
Oct 26, 2002, 06:08 AM
Bring on anyone you want, as long as its not Jeff Goldblum...

I think these ads are based on the mild celeb, outside of Hollywood for a reason...everyone sees Hollywood types as being on an unattainable plateau, whereas more localized celebs (SoCal, New York) are more effective role models/marketers.

Many have become jaded to the Hollywood and MLB/NFL types hawking everything from breakfast ceral to underpants, so I think Apple is looking for names which have recognition, but a lesser sense of previous product representation.

I believe these people use Macs every day, and that's why they do the ads. If it were Rob Reiner, Joe Montana, N'Sync, Barry Bonds, Danny Elfman, Tom Cruise, Wayne Gretzky, Micahel Jordan, Gweneth Paltrow, Tiger Woods, I'd think maybe these people use a Mac, maybe they don't, but I'd KNOW they were handsomely compensated for the ad.

Does anyone really believe Tiger drives a Buick?

skunk
Oct 26, 2002, 07:19 AM
"I spend my life balancing on bits of wood at high speed and wear my hat back-to-front, therefore I know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers" ??:confused: :confused:

Nipsy
Oct 26, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by skunk
"I spend my life balancing on bits of wood at high speed and wear my hat back-to-front, therefore I know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers" ??:confused: :confused:

Actually:

You convinced your parents to buy you $1200 worth of baggie shorts, t-shirts, skate shoes, and beanies. Now I want you to convince your parents to buy you a new $1200, approved by me, skateb...ummm...computer.

skunk
Oct 26, 2002, 08:56 AM
Well all right, I suppose there is some kind of twisted logic there...:rolleyes:

wdlove
Oct 26, 2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Shrek
I saw a rumor that Britney Spears will be featured in an Apple Switch Ad here (http://www.oliverwillis.com/archives/002432.php). :cool:

I hope not! :)

tjwett
Oct 26, 2002, 02:14 PM
if anyone deserves flow it's Koston.

skunk
Oct 26, 2002, 02:17 PM
Arn, you're going to have to publish a Glossary for all these technical terms...:rolleyes: