PDA

View Full Version : Ibook G4 DC / Battery problems

Agincourt
Jun 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have an ibook G4 which is about five years old and randomly goes out with the screen going blank and all inputs ceasing to function. Closing the clamshell doesn't bring it to sleep mode. Hooking up an external display at that point yields no input from the computer. The hard drive and fans still run, yet when I shut it down (holding down the power button) it seems to work just fine. Then about an hour or less, the same thing happens. This has happened three times so far, but it could get worse.

Agincourt
Jun 10, 2010, 03:45 PM
I've recently found what I believe to be the problem, but don't know if I should attempt to repair the computer. The problem only happens when it's hooked up to the power adapter and while charging the battery. This would explain why it works fine after letting the computer sit for a few minutes. The ibook could work off the battery alone, and I can recharge the battery while the computer is in sleep mode. I can't have both sources of power at the same time while using it.

The problem I have is that I can't keep the computer from charging the battery while it's installed (And it constantly goes from green to amber, even when it's at 97%) And when the computer malfunctions, I can actually hear an electrical hum under the palmrest that only ceases when I've disconnected the AC adapter... and the battery takes over.

Anyone know which component is likely the cause of the problem? Thanks.

revbarabbas
Jun 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
I've recently found what I believe to be the problem, but don't know if I should attempt to repair the computer. The problem only happens when it's hooked up to the power adapter and while charging the battery. This would explain why it works fine after letting the computer sit for a few minutes. The ibook could work off the battery alone, and I can recharge the battery while the computer is in sleep mode. I can't have both sources of power at the same time while using it.

The problem I have is that I can't keep the computer from charging the battery while it's installed (And it constantly goes from green to amber, even when it's at 97%) And when the computer malfunctions, I can actually hear an electrical hum under the palmrest that only ceases when I've disconnected the AC adapter... and the battery takes over.

Anyone know which component is likely the cause of the problem? Thanks.

check this out:

https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp