PDA

View Full Version : imac G5 2.0 ALS - as a temporary machine

costabunny
Jun 5, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well looks like my tax return will take a while (thats my iMac 27 or MP fund).

So although I do love my G4 MDD (I won't part with it as it already has a space in the lounge when the new one arrives), I would like something a little oomphier for now.

I am looking at a G5 iMac 20" ALS 2GHz 512MB. I can drop 2GB in for about 69 so Id be investing about 400 all in for this. Now is it going to be a lot different in speed to my dual G4 1.25?

(dont worry I have considered a new mini, but when I am done I'd like my little sis to have the iMac and if I get a mini I would have to give her my lovely T240 screen also).

Now the iMac has no FW800 which would not be an issue in the interim as my externals all have FW400 as well. (tho I think I may miss the multiple ports as my little G4 has 2x400 and 1x800).

Any comments guys?

SuperJudge
Jun 5, 2010, 03:22 PM
It'll be punchier for sure.

My only misgiving would be the reliability on the iMac G5s. We've got one, but it's on its third power supply. Power supply and logic board issues abound with just about everything with a G5 processor in it.

That said, it's a perfectly serviceable machine.

zen.state
Jun 5, 2010, 11:22 PM
A single G5 2GHz and a dual G4 1.25GHz are not going to be very far off in speed with anything that can use 2 CPU. That includes OS X itself any many apps. For your average task thought the G5 would be a bit faster. Keeep in mind that although it has a G5 you would be downgrading from a pro product to a consumer one.

Personally I am not a fan of all in one systems. SuperJudge is right though about about G5 systems being more sketchy than most. The imac G5's are specifically known for blowing capacitors.

If it were me I would stick with the G4 tower.

Edit: If you really want a temp system to pass on then go for it. Missed the part about it being temp and donated later.

costabunny
Jun 7, 2010, 05:32 PM
Well it looks like plans change.....

My G4 is possibly going my little sister after all as I've just got a G5 11,1 DP 2.3GHz (with 4.5GB RAM) to 'keep me going'.

That will keep me happy until tax-return day arrives (knowing the malta tax office that will be anytime between now and about 2033!).

I got it for 300 so am feeling happy with that (as its inside my budget for a temp/future-backup) system and I think it will be happy on the Samsung T240 screen.

zmttoxics
Jun 8, 2010, 09:01 AM
Well it looks like plans change.....

My G4 is possibly going my little sister after all as I've just got a G5 11,1 DP 2.3GHz (with 4.5GB RAM) to 'keep me going'.

That will keep me happy until tax-return day arrives (knowing the malta tax office that will be anytime between now and about 2033!).

I got it for 300 so am feeling happy with that (as its inside my budget for a temp/future-backup) system and I think it will be happy on the Samsung T240 screen.
That is probably for the better anyways. The iMac G5 is not as reliable in the end (a lot of them dropped like flies with the bad caps). DP 2.3 is awesome fast anyways. My loaded iMac G5 2.0 with 2GB of ram can be very pathetic.

ClassicII
Jun 8, 2010, 09:34 AM
Nice, you will be happy with the 2.3.