Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
i have a PC running XP, a G4 running OSX, and a Blue and white G3 running OS 8.6 with internet access via dialup/AOL :)()....

is there any way i can share the G3's connection with the other two computers (it doesn't have to be both at the same time)?
how might I go about doing it if I was running jaguar on the G3?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Simple... get an Airport base station and set it to go online for you... You can then share the internet connection to all the computers via DHCP. Although why would you want to share a dial-up connection is beyond me.

I'm sure there are other routers that will do it also, but I know that the base station allows you to share an internet connection among several computers. I do it at home between my TiBook (running OS X 10.1.5) and my game pc (running win2k). I can go online (easily) with both systems any time I want.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
snooping around the manpages for ipfw i noticed that there are alot of similar options to things like ipchains and iptables for linux. i know that internet sharing is a feature in jaguar, and a much requested one at that, but does anyone know for sure if some mangling of your own on pre-shaguar systems can enable sharing??

linux freeks lemme hear ya.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
perhaps a simpler question would be: is there any way to cache some of the cddb's database manually and then give that data to a mp3 encoder app? i need want to make some MP3s on my PC but it has no dialup modem...but my G3 does...

is there any way i might do this with my linksys router?

Dr_Floyd

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
10.2 will do it, you will have to hook 'um up with a crossover cable and connect your X system to the internet

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
At home in NJ we have basically the same thing going with sharing dial-up. My father can use his PowerMac G3 or PowerBook G3 (he has no idea what he's missing :)) with the Airport using DHCP. Also, if I want to get online, I link directly from the same phone line the Airport uses. But we can't be online at once.

The main reason I can think of for why such a situation would be necessary would be money contraints.

[Now Alpha thinks to himself "You poor saps..." :rolleyes: :p]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.