Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greene23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I live in Seattle and Washington has a new law that requires us to drive hands free. I am very excited about this rule as someone who cannot stand it when people drive and talk on their phones. I will NOT wear a bluetooth anything on my ears, so I would love suggestions on what has worked for people as far as a hands free system. Or, if you could, point me to a previous thread that may be helpful.

Thanks

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I am very excited about this rule as someone who cannot stand it when people drive and talk on their phones.

You do know it's the conversation that is the distracting factor, right? Holding your hand to your head doesn't make you a worse driver.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
You do know it's the conversation that is the distracting factor, right? Holding your hand to your head doesn't make you a worse driver.
I totally agree! Which is why I don't talk on my phone while driving.

If you want to drive, then drive. If a phone call is so important that it has to be done while driving, then pull over.

Pilot's are trained to work the radio's and fly at the same time. But the average person can't park a car correctly, yet alone talk on the phone while driving.

Bibble

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Conversation is A distracting factor. But, working on that logic, radios and passengers should be banned, and all drivers should ensure they've had 8 hours sleep immediately before driving.

There are many factors that will influence the quality of your driving, and every trip is a compromise between safety and practicality. I would agree that taking phone calls while trying to navigate Cambridge's one-way system and adjust your stereo is going to result in a crash. But, on the other hand, if I'm driving down to the south of France, am sat in the slow lane of the motorway, and get a call from the parents just to find out where I am, the distraction is going to be negligible in the given circumstances, and would be prefereable to waiting until the next service station, and trying to get enough reception to return the call.

The main thing is to exercise caution and common sense. Also, one of the main reasons for banning handsets while driving is that, if you only have one hand available, your capacity to react to emergencies is severely limited.

With respect to the original poster, I am looking for a decent car kit. The Nokia CK series has served me well previously, but I am looking for a wired solution which, I think, does not exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.