PDA

View Full Version : Which ASD version for Mac Pro 1.1 (2007)?

shaocaholica
Jun 6, 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm trying to service a family Mac Pro and I'm not close at all to an Apple Store. Also, the machine is not under warranty anymore. I think I have a faulty thermal sensor on the northbridge. Its giving 129C readings from a cold boot and I've already cleaned the heatshink and reapplied thermal compound. Running AHT throws an [4SNS/1/40000000: TNOH] error. Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM didn't do anything. I'm not sure if ASD can do any more but its worth a shot right? Does anyone know which version I should look for to use with this 2007 Mac Pro 1.1?

666sheep
Jun 6, 2010, 04:39 PM
AFAIR it will be 3S116. But AHT told you everything that you need to know: 4SNS indicates sensor, TNOH indicates which one: NOrthbridgeHeatsink. Look here: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7268348 This is exactly your problem - ultra fast fan speeds and abnormal Northbrigde Heatsink sensor readout.

shaocaholica
Jun 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
AFAIR it will be 3S116. But AHT told you everything that you need to know: 4SNS indicates sensor, TNOH indicates which one: NOrthbridgeHeatsink. Look here: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7268348 This is exactly your problem - ultra fast fan speeds and abnormal Northbrigde Heatsink sensor readout.

Thanks, I'll download that one. As for the thread you linked, they never really solved the problem. I've tried resetting the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC.

666sheep
Jun 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
Where is this sensor exactly placed? On HS or logic board? I asked about it (cause i didn't remove NHS im my MP yet) in this earlier thread you started, remember?
From what i know, no reset (or other trick) will fix this issue, only replacing sensor/or entire part where it is mounted/ will do. I wish you, that i'm wrong.

shaocaholica
Jun 6, 2010, 05:02 PM
Where is this sensor exactly placed? On HS or logic board? I asked about it (cause i didn't remove NHS im my MP yet) in this earlier thread you started, remember?
From what i know, no reset (or other trick) will fix this issue, only replacing sensor/entire part where it is mounted will do. I wish you, that i'm wrong.

There is a sensor attached to the Northbridge heatsink and I've tried disconnecting it but even with it disconnected, OSX still reads 129C. Although I just realized that high temp reading from a thermal probe is equivalent to an open circuit which means disconnecting it is essentially giving it a max reading! Hmm. I might have the fix!

666sheep
Jun 6, 2010, 05:15 PM
Although I just realized that high temp reading from a thermal probe is equivalent to an open circuit which means disconnecting it is essentially giving it a max reading! Hmm. I might have the fix!

This makes sense. You're on the right way, i think. Fix will be much cheaper than logic board replacing.

shaocaholica
Jun 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
This makes sense. You're on the right way, i think. Fix will be much cheaper than logic board replacing.

Well, I can either replace the sensor or put a dummy in its place (resistor). I can't seem to find the part by itself online. I could replace it with another type of sensor but there's no guarantee it would operate in the same output range. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement sensor without buying a new mother board, please tell.

Techhie
Jun 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
If anyone knows where I can get a replacement sensor without buying a new mother board, please tell.

Contacting Apple would likely get you the "new logic board" rundown, however the right genius might be able to lead you somewhere if you get him away from the group. Also, local repair shops that are Apple certified are not bound by their terms, so they might be more willing to give you a hand (mentally.) My guess is that the part is not available by itself, because standard procedure would be to replace the whole logic board for sensors on the northbridge.

shaocaholica
Jun 7, 2010, 01:22 AM
Contacting Apple would likely get you the "new logic board" rundown, however the right genius might be able to lead you somewhere if you get him away from the group. Also, local repair shops that are Apple certified are not bound by their terms, so they might be more willing to give you a hand (mentally.) My guess is that the part is not available by itself, because standard procedure would be to replace the whole logic board for sensors on the northbridge.

The sensor is actually removeable and attached to the northbridge heatsink. However, I couldn't even get a part number for the heatsink so apparently Apple's policy is that all those things are part of the main board even if they are trivially easy to replace independently. Anyway, the thermal probe is probably just a run of the mill 10k thermistor. Thats what I'll replace it with (~$2) and if that doesn't work I'll just replace it with a dumb resistor.

As it turns out, an open circuit on a thermistor is actually a really really low temperature but it could also mean the thermistor is absent or failed so the engineers actually accounted for that and instead of reporting -40C, it reports the MAX temp as a failsafe.

IMO, the probability of a failed thermistor is high enough that it doesn't make sense to assume the worst that the system is overheating.

666sheep
Jun 7, 2010, 04:44 AM
Maybe then finding dead 1.1 or 2.1 logic board will be your chance to get original spare sensor.
Try also contact Apple tech service (like Techhie did mention). If you'll be lucky, maybe some kind tech will help you get right part for replacement. Miracles sometimes could happen ;) Good luck and keep us posted.

Techhie
Jun 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
Maybe then finding dead 1.1 or 2.1 logic board will be your chance to get original spare sensor.

I've seen a few of them floating around on eBay, but most want ridiculous amounts for them (>$150)