PDA

View Full Version : Silence please? iMac 1.8 vs Power Mac DP 1.8

tiselday
Oct 14, 2004, 05:48 AM
Hi all!

I recently bought myself an iMac G5 1.8, an although is a nice machine in terms of processing power, it is less quiet than I had expected.

Don't get me wrong. The machine itself is not noisy at all, but, well, I like silence :) Working with my TiBook 667 DVI is a dream is this sense, the fans do rarely show up and the hard disk is barely audible.

So, I am spoiled :)

The problem with the iMac is, of course, where the noise is coming from: basically, 40cm away from your nose.

So I would like to ask you owners of a Power Mac 1.8DP about its noise levels. It is a big machine, it has more room for cooling, and well, I can put it under the table to block some of the noise coming from it!

I do not have an easy way to compare the machines myself, and going to a store to try to hear the differences is just hopeless...

I will really appreciate your answers!

T

5300cs
Oct 14, 2004, 05:57 AM
I have a 1.6Ghz G5 and it is REALLY quiet. I upgraded from a 1Ghz G4 MDD and it's MUCH MUCH better :)

Then there's the Xserve, but I won't get into that ;)

iMeowbot
Oct 14, 2004, 06:37 AM
Contact the dealer or Apple. There is a known noise problem with the new iMacs, and they are replacing power supplies.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 14, 2004, 07:43 AM
What is it with Apple and noisey computers at the moment? There was the mirror door drive G4s then the G5 fan problems and now the iMac G5 noise problems. And the G5s were supposed to be silent, whisper silent!

I guess I too have been spoiled by the silent operation of my 12" PB. (I recently turned processor speed from Highest back down to Automatic because I've decided that I'd rather have a silent computer than an absolutely silky smooth dock magnification animation).

tiselday
Oct 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
Contact the dealer or Apple. There is a known noise problem with the new iMacs, and they are replacing power supplies.

oh yes, I did that as well... my power supply is one of the noisy ones. Still waiting for the replacement, though. I called Tech support today and the guy told me that there are MANY with that problem and that he does not know when the replacement part could ship. :(

Anyway, this is not what bothers me most, but rather is the ramping up and down of the fans so close to my ears.

Could someone comment abouth the Power Mac 1.8 rev B noise, please? As I understand, the latest rev B models also use the 970FX chip (i.e. 90nm) as the iMac but in a bigger space...

T

Whigga Spitta
Oct 14, 2004, 10:48 AM
if theres not a resolvable issue, get some speakers and make iTunes your new best friend