PDA

View Full Version : No longer the Apple of my eye.

BEET
Oct 14, 2004, 07:45 AM
I can't believe it! I turned my powerbook on the other day and the screen just went dead. I could just about see the desktop, it was as if the brightness was turned down to minimum except it wasn't. I took it to my local Apple retailer, where it's been sat for a week and now they tell me it's been sent to Apple USA (all the way from Guernsey!) to have the graphics bit of the motherboard replaced.
I'm not really sure why I'm posting this message, just to moan really and maybe get a bit of reassurance. It's the most expensive thing I've ever bought and it's failing me already!

Anyone else had the same problem with there screens?? Is this likely to happen again? Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening in the future? moan moan moan.....

edesignuk
Oct 14, 2004, 07:53 AM
Sounds more like the backlight on the LCD has gone to me...

tagy
Oct 14, 2004, 08:55 AM
same thing happend on my 12" PB. I hope you have a better experience than I am of getting it fixed:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=92972

KingSleaze
Oct 14, 2004, 09:44 AM
My nine month old PB 15" had this sort of a problem two weeks ago. Woke it from sleep to not be able to see the display...... ? Worked fine just a little bit ago. I reset PRAM (command-option-P-R, listen for the chime) the display works fine again.

This a couple of weeks after the Superdrive apparently stopped working. One Apple Genious thought I would need to replace it, couple of days. I was away from home, so I didn't have it done there. Got back home, local Genious tries all same tests, decides to reset...... works fine.

Good step in repair attempts before taking in for costly or time consuming repairs.

kylos
Oct 14, 2004, 10:13 AM
If you can see a ghost image, it's likely the backlight which shines through the lcd to bring the screen image to light. The backlight wiring running through the hinge in my 2001 ibook is shorting out, so I'm ordering a pbook to replace it.

BEET
Oct 14, 2004, 10:15 AM
hmmmmm I'm not filled with confidence. I would have thought/hoped the Apple retailer who has sent my powerbook away would've at least tried the obvious resetting, knob twiddling options....who knows? I guess it's out of my hands.
I'm just a little peeved that this has happened in the first place.