Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I had a 40 GB iPod I bought at the beginning of the year, it was stolen in the spring, I got a new one in the meantime, and I want to sell it. But I talked to a Mac expert guy today and he told me that its only worth 100 because of the battery recall they had a year ago. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do? Maybe I can still send my iPod in even though the recall period ended? Maybe Apple will make an exception?

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
This is not correct

Not quite sure I understand your story but...

There (to my knowledge) was never a 'recall' on iPods due to batteries, you do have the option (and I still think this is true) of sending the iPod to Apple to have the battery replaced for a hefty fee.

A 40 GB 3rd generation is still worth $200-300 depending on battery and condition.

Thats my take at least :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Never was a recall on iPods - 15" PB batteries yes, iPod no - sounds like the guy was trying to scam you.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
The guy is most likely trying to scam you, and get a cheap iPod, or is trying to sell you a new one by making you think yours is defective, and using the 100 buck price as supporting evidence for his claim. if your looking to sell, look on ebay for comparable models and what they're running. if the price seems good to you, list your ipod on ebay.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
runplaysleeprun said:
The guy is most likely trying to scam you, and get a cheap iPod, or is trying to sell you a new one by making you think yours is defective, and using the 100 buck price as supporting evidence for his claim. if your looking to sell, look on ebay for comparable models and what they're running. if the price seems good to you, list your ipod on ebay.

Well said, newb. Whatever that "Mac Expert" says means nothing. eBay reveals the truth about all. It's a great guide in seeing what the exact something is selling for and just how much it's in demand. Good Luck.

But still...If you are willing to sell it for 100 dollars...I'll take it off your hands. :p

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't beleive that guy was lying about that. Good thing I wasn't dumb enough to sell it to him. He told me he would give me $100 up front for it. I thought he was joking, because at the time I thought it was worth at least $300. So are you sure there was no battery recall for iPods? The guy left me his phone number, so I dont want to look like an idiot calling him and accusing him of trying to rip me off. The number probably won't work anyways, given the circumstances.

So how much do you think the iPod is worth? Its completely scratch free (I have one of those clear plastic static cling covers on since I took it out of the box) and no physical defects at all. The only setbacks are that it was in the hands of a theif for a few months. Nothing happened to it during that time though.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
jet3004 said:
eBay reveals the truth about all. It's a great guide in seeing what the exact something is selling for and just how much it's in demand.

I believe eBay is full of a bunch of people that pay more for something than its worth, as well. I think a far better method to examine demand is to look at a non-auction style environment. Auctions can cause people to pay much more than what an item is really worth.

As for the battery recall, maybe the person was referring to the $99 battery repair program.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
I think if you're selling it with all the accesories that came with the 3G 40gb (dock, case, remote) you should not take less than 300, and you can probably get 350. The "new" 40gb is 399, without those extras.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
johnbro23 said:
I can't beleive that guy was lying about that. Good thing I wasn't dumb enough to sell it to him. He told me he would give me $100 up front for it. I thought he was joking, because at the time I thought it was worth at least $300. So are you sure there was no battery recall for iPods? The guy left me his phone number, so I dont want to look like an idiot calling him and accusing him of trying to rip me off. The number probably won't work anyways, given the circumstances.

So how much do you think the iPod is worth? Its completely scratch free (I have one of those clear plastic static cling covers on since I took it out of the box) and no physical defects at all. The only setbacks are that it was in the hands of a theif for a few months. Nothing happened to it during that time though.

The battery thing was that if your iPod was no longer holding it charge within the year that you got it, you could exchange it due to the 1 year warrenty. Some people had this problem but most didn't, so there was never, I repeat, NEVER a recall on iPods.

If it is under a year, generation 3 is it, and no bad marks or scratches, i would say $300-350, and if you have all the extra stuff and the box to go with, add some more to it.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I just called the guy that was supposedly trying to rip me off. I told him I posted a topic on MacRumors and that there was a unanimous decision that there was never a battery recall. He still insists that there was one. He told me "MacRumors is not a good site" and told me to try iPodLounge. I told him that I've always had my questions answered here on MR, but I said I'd try iPodLounge too. Is this guy full of **** or what? As far as I can see, he is.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
tomf87 said:
I believe eBay is full of a bunch of people that pay more for something than its worth, as well. I think a far better method to examine demand is to look at a non-auction style environment. Auctions can cause people to pay much more than what an item is really worth.

As for the battery recall, maybe the person was referring to the $99 battery repair program.

uh, if people will pay a certain price for it, then that is what i'd call it's (material) worth.

and frankly, even if people on ebay pay more than things are worth (which they don't), it doesn't matter in this situation, as this person is wanting to sell his iPod. don't you think he should try and get as much money as possible?

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
tomf87 said:

uh, if people will pay a certain price for it, then that is what i'd call it's (material) worth.

and frankly, even if people on ebay pay more than things are worth (which they don't), it doesn't matter in this situation, as this person is wanting to sell his iPod. don't you think he should try and get as much money as possible?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
johnbro23 said:
I just called the guy that was supposedly trying to rip me off. I told him I posted a topic on MacRumors and that there was a unanimous decision that there was never a battery recall. He still insists that there was one. He told me "MacRumors is not a good site" and told me to try iPodLounge. I told him that I've always had my questions answered here on MR, but I said I'd try iPodLounge too. Is this guy full of **** or what? As far as I can see, he is.

iPodLounge may be a good site for forums, but there is surely nothing wrong with the knowledge of the members on this site, and in fact, I tend to believe the 'knowledgeability average' on these forums is quite high.

Once again, from one more person, THERE WAS NO RECALL.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
johnbro23 said:

yeah, he most certainly is. and now, probably is getting nervous that you did some research and are able to disprove his "battery recall" story. the ipodlounge bit probably is just something to thow you off, because its often hard to find older articles, and they did at one point have a lot of stuff up about people complaining about short-winded batteries. your best bet- break contact with this dick, and if your looking to sell, ebay it. its not worth arguing with this guy, because he'll probably argue into a hole to avoid being proven wrong/caught lying. or, since you've expressed how macrumors has always helped you, maybe you'll list your ipod for sale in the forums first, and see if you can get a price thats reasonable for both parties involved.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
johnbro23 said:

He is.

I'm starting to question your judgement for continuing to listen to him.

-vga4life

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
vga4life said:
He is.

I'm starting to question your judgement for continuing to listen to him.

-vga4life

Yea, the only reason I'd beleive this guy is because of the circumstances. I was actually in science class when all this happened. He was installing something on my science teacher's eMac, and I guess they were talking about iPods, and my science teacher tells him the story of my iPod being turned in. The reason I'm so surprised he tried to rip me off is because my science teacher was right there, too. I'm definitely going to tell my science teacher about what this ******* tried to do. Hopefully he just lost a customer. He apparantly was registered by Apple or something. He has his own company. His name is Dave Sevick if anyone cares.

Do people post advertisements to sell iPods on Mac sites like this one? I don't really want to sell it on eBay. I'd rather sell it to a friend at school, ideally, or selling it to another MR or SM member would be good.

Also, I sold the headphones and I want to keep the dock. How much do you think it would be worth if that was the case?

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
johnbro23 said:
I'm definitely going to tell my science teacher about what this ******* tried to do. Hopefully he just lost a customer. He apparantly was registered by Apple or something. He has his own company. His name is Dave Sevick if anyone cares.

back off a little dude, maybe it was an honest mistake on his part. I don't think you should be so quick to get him fired...unless of course this is a pattern for him.

Is it possible he thought your iPod was not working properly for some reason? Then maybe it would be worth $100.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Manzana said:
back off a little dude, maybe it was an honest mistake on his part. I don't think you should be so quick to get him fired...unless of course this is a pattern for him.

Is it possible he thought your iPod was not working properly for some reason? Then maybe it would be worth $100.

I don't know, that may be. But he even told me this morning that he himself got his 3g battery replaced free of charge from that recall he was talking about from apple. If it was a mistake, how could that have happened?

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
So do people sell stuff on MR? If so how do I get the word out? I've already put a little announcement in my signature. Is there anything else I can do?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
jtgotsjets said:

I don't think I expressed my opinion clearly. Let me try again. Yes, if you could sell it for more money, then yes, go for it.

And people on eBay do sometimes pay more than what an item is worth. My friend sold his G4 1Ghz iMac 17" on eBay for $1500 just this month. He also sold his 1st Gen 10GB iPod for $150. Earlier this year, he sold his BMW Z3 at $2,000 above blue book value. Clearly, those items were sold for more than they are worth.

That said, I believe auctions tend to make people spend more an item because they are paying for a particular item that can't be had elsewhere easily. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying all eBayers are dumb for paying what they pay. I've seen people get some pretty good deals.

My apologies if I offended you or anyone else in any way.

johnbro23 said:
I had a 40 GB iPod I bought at the beginning of the year, it was stolen in the spring, I got a new one in the meantime, and I want to sell it. But I talked to a Mac expert guy today and he told me that its only worth 100 because of the battery recall they had a year ago. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do? Maybe I can still send my iPod in even though the recall period ended? Maybe Apple will make an exception?

Well my new iPod 20gig was stolen to... But I have more then one so it not a big deal, BUT YOU SOULD NEVER LEAVE IT IN YOUR CAR!!!... Just some good advice :cool: ...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
johnbro23 said:
So do people sell stuff on MR? If so how do I get the word out? I've already put a little announcement in my signature. Is there anything else I can do?
Marketplace and Classifieds. You can even put a link in you sig to the Marketplace post. Though you might want to use something like Paypal and tracking when you ship it so you don't get ripped off, and neither would the buyer if something happened. Though, be careful with Paypal as well, and always ship ONLY to verified addresses.

I'd say it's worth around $300 easy. Even if there was a battery problem (which was supposedly with some older models, whose batteries died at about 18 months), you can get it fixed any time within the first year of purchase under the warranty, which is fully transferrable to the new owner (whatever is left of the original warranty). If the battery dies, Apple has the $99 battery replacement offer mentioned above. Others will do it even cheaper. You can even buy a new battery from OWC that has a little more life than the original battery, but you have to do it yourself, or pay a technician.

There was no battery recall for iPods. The guy is either trying to scam you, or ill-informed. Screw 'im.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Can you say "Overreaction"?

So you didn't sell the iPod for "only" $100. In fact you got the stolen one back too. What is the problem?

The value of an iPod is not intrinsic to the iPod. The value of a thing is set by mutual agreement between the buyer and the seller. If two people agree to sell a rock for $4,000 then the rock has a "value" of $4,000.

If no one buys the rock, then it has no real value.

Your iPod has a value of whatever you can sell it for. Apple sells iPods for their prices and the people who buy them agree that the price is right. People do not think the price is correct end up with no iPod or find someone willing to sell one for a different, lower, price.

Welcome to the Free Market Economy. Just because it's not what you consider fair doesn't mean its illegal or immoral. Move on already!

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
solvs said:
Marketplace and Classifieds. You can even put a link in you sig to the Marketplace post. Though you might want to use something like Paypal and tracking when you ship it so you don't get ripped off, and neither would the buyer if something happened. Though, be careful with Paypal as well, and always ship ONLY to verified addresses.

I'd say it's worth around $300 easy. Even if there was a battery problem (which was supposedly with some older models, whose batteries died at about 18 months), you can get it fixed any time within the first year of purchase under the warranty, which is fully transferrable to the new owner (whatever is left of the original warranty). If the battery dies, Apple has the $99 battery replacement offer mentioned above. Others will do it even cheaper. You can even buy a new battery from OWC that has a little more life than the original battery, but you have to do it yourself, or pay a technician.

There was no battery recall for iPods. The guy is either trying to scam you, or ill-informed. Screw 'im.

Thanks a lot. That definitely helps. I never knew about the market place and classifieds thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.