Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
The USB cable included with my iPhone ~8 months ago is starting to crack at both the USB and Dock ends (the rubber cabling at the edge of the hard plastic moldings is broken). If I go into the Apple store will they give me a new one?

I have Applecare on the iPhone.

I'd rather not pay for a new one as a matter of principle. I take care of all my cables and I always tie them in the prescribed way to avoid exactly this type of situation. I have probably a dozen USB, Firewire, power, and headphone cables that I keep, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. The only other product where I've had this problem was my old original Xbox controllers, which all started to fray at exactly the same place (where the cable meets the controller) at the same time. Its not my fault that apple supplies brittle cables.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
My iPhone cable is barely a year old and cracking. I went to my local Apple store and they told me since I was outside the warranty that I was out of luck. They even asked me if I was rolling the cable up and if so then that was causing the cracking. Since when are we not supposed to roll up the cable? I have much older iPod cables that are not cracking. So I think the iPhone outer cable material is to soft and the reason for this issue.

Now I have black electrical tape wrapped on the ends and yes it looks crappy.

B Gallagher

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Provided that it's the cable which came with the iPhone, AppleCare should cover this. See here for full details:

Subject to these Terms and Conditions, your Plan (i) covers defects for the Apple- branded iPhone product listed in your Plan’s Certificate or Proof of Coverage document (“Plan Confirmation”), an Apple-branded iPhone Bluetooth headset if used with the covered iPhone and originally purchased by you within two (2) years from the purchase of the Plan and the hardware accessories that are contained in the covered iPhone’s original packaging (collectively the “Covered Equipment”)...​

This is what's covered, provided there is a "defect in materials or workmanship", which it sounds like there is in this case.

Best bet would be to give Apple a call.

Ehlun

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
If it's not covered, you can get a new one for $1.70 with free shipping from dealextreme.com.

Code:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24296

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
@ Gallagher

Thanks for the warranty link. Looks like I have a shot at an argument.

In case I have to end up buying a cable, are there different dock connect cables types that I should know about? For example, sometimes when I plug my iPhone 3GS into iPhone stereos it will display a message about 'not supporting charging'. Are there different types of USB dock connector cables to think about?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I have gotten cables replaced without even having to show them any devices.
I assume you are talking about the Apple store doing this for you. My local Apple store was just not as accommodating.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
If they don't think that it is user damage, they will replace it for free under AppleCare.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
Go to the store and explain your situation, or just get a new iPhone 4 it comes with new cable ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.