PDA

View Full Version : Have Applecare lost my Powerbook?

tagy
Oct 14, 2004, 08:48 AM
allow me to share my story (I'm in the UK,Edinburgh):

Just over 3 weeks ago my powerbook screen backlight died so I phoned applecare, I could either have a courier pick it up or take it to a apple centre. I chose to take it to an apple centre. 5 days later they tell me it has to go back to apple, OK I say do that then.

So I am able to track it on apple's repair website. That day it said 'repair requested'. Now I was checking everyday, hoping it would say the powerbook had arrived. A week after this I phone apple, it hasn't arrived and should be there anytime now. Another week later, no change on the status website. I phone apple and they say no it has not arrived.

Now I phone the shop who sent it to apple, they say it arrived at apple 2 weeks ago. I explain I was just talking to them and it has not arrived. Someone is looking into it now and will call me back later...

Tom.

tagy
Oct 14, 2004, 12:58 PM
well I phoned the shop back and they were sure it had arrived at the apple repair centre. So I phone Apple and they were sure it had not arrived. :confused: :(

Both are looking into it and I have to phone Apple back in 2 days.

OnceUGoMac
Oct 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
It happenned to me when i sent an iBook in to be replaced. They lost the new iBook and I was w/o a machine for a month.

cr2sh
Oct 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
That is scary.

I called AppleCare this morning regarding a minor issue with my powerbook involving the headphone jack. There was no waiting on the phone, the guy was very helpful, managed to pull my account info without me havng the S/N in front of me, he was clear and intelligent. A box is suppossed to arrive tomorrow for me to mail my Powerbook in with.

I hope I don't have any of the issues you two have experienced.

I'm not doubting your story, but I would be shocked if an AppleCare person told me to "call back in two days - we don't know where your ibook is." I would be outraged, demanding to talk to a surpervisor... raising holy jesus. What did you say when he asked you to call back?

tagy
Oct 14, 2004, 03:10 PM
I just said OK. Right now I tend to believe Apple that they have not recieved my PowerBook.

The store thinks that Apple got it 2 weeks ago and that they have not updated there system. I said this to Apple and the did not think this could of happened. The guy at Apple said he was sending an email to someone to get a solution, they are going to contact the shop I think.

Either Applecare or the shop is lying, or it is lost.

Also the shop said it went off with another machine to Apple, and that one is back allready. :( So right now I have no idea where my powerbook is. I have waited 3 weeks and nothing has happened.

I will give them to monday to find it, or come up with a suitable plan, or I will ask for a replacement.

tagy
Oct 14, 2004, 03:11 PM
It happenned to me when i sent an iBook in to be replaced. They lost the new iBook and I was w/o a machine for a month.

I forgot to ask how was this resolved? did they just send you a replacement when they relised it was lost?

annk
Oct 15, 2004, 05:40 AM
Is your content backed up somewhere? :eek:

tagy
Oct 18, 2004, 02:24 PM
And so it contiues..

After a few more calls to Apple they deffinatley do not have my PowerBook, and they cannot help me since they never got it. Have to deal with the shop who sent it to them.

Phoned the store again today, 'it is with Apple' they said... sigh . the guy who deals with things was busy, they said he would call me back. He never did. Gonna phone again tommorow, and tell them to sort it out NOW!! :mad: starting to get pi**ed off.

XIII
Oct 18, 2004, 02:29 PM
Thats really bad man :( I feel sorry for you, and you have my sympathy, but thats no use here... :)

Brize
Oct 18, 2004, 02:47 PM
tagy: Sorry to hear of your experiences.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stop making phone calls and start putting everything in writing. Send your letters by mail and fax, and send all of your communications to both Apple and the reseller. Include the serial number of your PowerBook on all correspondence, and make firm demands, specifying deadlines where appropriate. Also make the point that it's not your responsibility to establish the whereabouts of your computer in such circumstances.

Good luck!

California
Oct 20, 2004, 10:36 PM
You need to ask Apple to research the number given on the OTHER computer that the store said that they sent your computer in with.

You need to get this order number or DISPATCH number from the Apple Storev -- or even track it back through Apple by asking what the last computer that went in from that store on your date.

You do have a receipt from the Apple Store for your computer?

The computer would not be in your name, it would be sent in by the name of the store.

A smaller variation of this mix up has happened to me before and the mix up seemed to be that the store sends it out with a dispatch number from them, not from you.

tagy
Oct 27, 2004, 11:28 AM
Guess what..?

No computer, and no sign of it.

last time i phoned Apple they said they were looking into it, I phone today I speak to someone else who has no idea what is going, tells me they dont have it phone the store.

I phone the store, at first they tell me to phone Apple :rolleyes: . I tell them I just have, they say they are looking into it and will phone me back tomorrow. They have said they will call me back before and not bothered.

The store say they have the courier slip to prove it arrived.

Upto now I have been calm and relaxed on the phone, if they do not phone me back tomorrow as promised, I dont think I will be anymore. Why should i have to make expensive calls to apple, to be on hold for 10 mins, so someone can say phone the shop!

I have:
case number
dispatch number
serial number
equipment number
job ref

and a letter the store sent me ages ago comfirming they will proceed with the repair.

Tom. :(

link92
Oct 27, 2004, 02:52 PM
Might have to take my PowerMac G5 to Edinburgh.... :(

California
Oct 28, 2004, 06:27 PM
Sounds like the store lost it. Time to sue 'em. Better yet, go down there in person and just STAND there until they deal with you. Back up all your paperwork with copies. Bring only the copies to the store. Apple cannot afford to be that careless. Ask the store to give you copies of the courier slip they say they have and ask them how they are going to replace your machine. GET MAD -- IT IS YOUR PROPERTY THEY LOST.

Mechcozmo
Oct 28, 2004, 06:51 PM
Sounds like the store lost it. Time to sue 'em. Better yet, go down there in person and just STAND there until they deal with you. Back up all your paperwork with copies. Bring only the copies to the store. Apple cannot afford to be that careless. Ask the store to give you copies of the courier slip they say they have and ask them how they are going to replace your machine. GET MAD -- IT IS YOUR PROPERTY THEY LOST.

Get ticked off, but don't get so angry you say something stupid and don't sue yet. If you sue and they get off because you worded something wrong, you don't get a second chance.

But I would be really PO'ed at this point...I use my PowerBook every single day.

tagy
Oct 29, 2004, 07:35 AM
well they did not phone me back yesterday. I just phoned them now, and they said they had spoken to apple to try and find out what was happening, but will phone them again now, and call me back after...

tagy
Nov 5, 2004, 09:45 AM
well they now admit it is lost. Apple are supposed to be dealing with getting a replacement. yesterday the shop said I could borrow there loan machine, which would be delivered to the shop today.

I went along and guess what? there was a mix-up and it was not delivered to the shop :rolleyes: Someone is gonna phone me later..

Enigma
Nov 5, 2004, 10:06 AM
Don't suppose by any chance this was Scotsys in Edinburgh was it?

I'm in Glasgow, about to send my new Powerbook off to be repaired due to a horrible bright patch on the screen. I've decided to deal with Apple directly rather than go through Scotsys, who have an Apple Centre in Glasgow, mainly because the guy there admitted they'd just send it to Apple, and I've heard folk say before that they were unhappy with service from Scotsys for this sort of thing, and in the future they'd just deal straight with Apple to remove one variable from the equation.

Good luck in getting a replacement, just hoped you backed up your data. I'm off to get another Hard Disk for my Linux box just now so I can dump a Disk Image onto it off the Powerbook, so that should they wipe the hard disk or, if worst comes to worse, lose it, I can restore my original system eventually.

tagy
Nov 5, 2004, 10:41 AM
yes it is scotsys. I know now I should of sent it to Apple myself. I thought it would be easier to take it to the shop, than wait for a courrier to pick it up.

California
Nov 6, 2004, 12:25 AM
Apple in US has been much more responsive than it seems in UK. I am sorry but happy that they will replace. You have all original invoices, serial numbers, I'm sure? When Apple realizes a mistake, they have been very good to me in the past. Keep us posted.