PDA

View Full Version : Zagg Shield Ipad Installation Experience

magiclaffs
Jun 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to pass on my experience with the Zagg shield (front) for Ipad 3G Wifi, 32MB

I had previously gone through Zagg shield hell with attempting and failing to put one on my Iphone 3G. I must have attempted this 10 times and finally kissing off the 25 bucks or so. So...

I came here, read all the reviews I could find on various screen protectors ("Don't need one," "don't buy THAT one," etc). So I finally bought the Zaqg from Amazon ($16.00 there vs. 24 or 26 from Zagg directly). The long red and black tube package sat on my desk for a week, kind of glaring at me like one of the new Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. I finally opened it up and took out all the parts. (Not to mention that I watched install videos, re-read the directions several times, scrubbed surgically for 7.5 minutes). 15 minutes later it was installed.

I washed my hands, air-sprayed the Ipad, cleaned the screen with my Iphone microwipe thingie. Next, sprayed fingertips and protector (NOT THE IPAD). I started from the bottom up, matching the hole at the bottom of the Ipad to the screen protector. I spent some time moving a few bubbles around then let it sit for 24 hours. Then 48 hours later ...I have only 2 small tiny bubbles that are now cringing for their life, and they are close to the edges anyway.

Tactile eval: I do miss the smooth glide on the screen because the shield grabs a bit at the finger. Other than that no problems.

Pros: Screen protection, to be sure. Easy installation. Low cost at Amazon.

Cons: Should have included a box of patience pills. The spray that comes with the package, though packed in a baggie had leaked a little but no worries.

awmazz
Jun 7, 2010, 06:02 PM
*Note for Australian buyers.*

The bottle of spray included is much smaller than the US versions I've seen. Not enough for both the front and back if you get front+back package. After doing the back first I ran out of spray while doing the front, so I didn't have as much leeway in positioning the front film and removing the bubbles before it became too sticky. The back is nice and smooth and bubble free. I'm not happy with the front at all.

If you find you need to remove it and start over, forget it. There's only enough spray for one attempt max front and back.

To get the best application, especially for someone who's never done it before, you need to use the spray liberally. There simply isn't enough beyond using it sparingly.

maestrokev
Jun 7, 2010, 10:28 PM
It's just soapy water. You can mix yourself. One time my bottle arrived with the liquid almost evaporated - spilled out along the way - I just added water and it mixed fine (as per Zagg's instructions).

*Note for Australian buyers.*

The bottle of spray included is much smaller than the US versions I've seen. Not enough for both the front and back if you get front+back package. After doing the back first I ran out of spray while doing the front, so I didn't have as much leeway in positioning the front film and removing the bubbles before it became too sticky.

awmazz
Jun 8, 2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've just tried it and pulled it up to have another go. Now there are no bubbles, but I've got an accursed fine cat hair under there! I'll have to try again when I get more patience.

Not really a practical solution (excuse the pun) though when I ran short halfway through the initial application when I had the film in one hand. I would suggest people do the tricky re-filling of the mini-spritzer bottle (you need a pair of needle plyers to reach in to remove the neck as it's too small for fingers) after finishing the back and before starting on the front.

andothfc
Jun 8, 2010, 10:40 AM
I applied this to the front and back of my iPad and it went on great, not a single bubble (and I'm very sensitive to bubbles/dust/imperfections on these things).

I found that spraying the shield and the iPad itself is key to getting a good installation. That then allows you much greater freedom to get the shield well positioned and then squeeze out the liquid. No risk of damage to the device.

I don't know whether it made any difference but I installed mine under the extraction fan that's fitted above the kitchen oven. I thought maybe it would prevent stray bits of duct falling on the device in those seconds between the final wipe and getting the shield in place.

Ingram
Jun 8, 2010, 11:06 AM
I use Windex; the colorless one.

My InvisibleShield package also came with a very small spray bottle, with even little liquid. I actually damaged my invis shield some because the spray was not nearly enough even for the back shield only.

Also, the back shield is cut to cover the whole back, and if you don't get it to align precisely, it would pick up dust and residue and become dirty quick.

So I used the technique I got from installing BSE (best skin ever). I grabbed a big shallow dish, poured Windex some, dipped the adhesive side, shake off excess liquid,
put the shield on the back of the ipad, glided it into place (all these done in just a few minutes), applied some pressure to push out excess liquid to help it stick better and then worked on bubbles.

Then I did the same for the front, took just a few minutes also. Should have done this from the start.

Of course, I had to be careful not to shower my Ipad with the Windex, but I think I got my iPad wetter from trying to install with the spray method.
Just my experience, I won't recommend the way I did if you're not comfortable or have never installed IS or BSE this way before.

maestrokev
Jun 9, 2010, 01:06 AM
I hate getting dust under my shield, sometimes small specks don't show up until the shield is dry.

One tip I use (from film developing days) is to steam up the shower in my bathroom. Wait until the room is very hot and steamy :) Give it a few minutes, then turn on the bathroom fan. All the dust particles in the air should then drop to the ground, walls or get sucked out by the fan - now you have a dust-free environment to apply the shield.

gdeputy
Jun 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
I initially bought the front and back zagg however I took thte front off. It had a little bit of dust under it and it annoyed me to no end. I ended up with a ps anti glare but the back is still on and I love it.

maestrokev
Jun 9, 2010, 06:42 PM
I initially bought the front and back zagg however I took thte front off. It had a little bit of dust under it and it annoyed me to no end. I ended up with a ps anti glare but the back is still on and I love it.

How does the screen touch/slide feel under the invisible shield? I never liked it on my iPhone and prefer Power Support or another brand that's more slippery.

magiclaffs
Jun 21, 2010, 10:59 AM
The Zagg shield grips my fingers a bit. I've noticed also with the small stylus (Boxwave) that it takes a bit more pressure with the shield on.