Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

First announced in April at a special event, Steve Jobs provided a demonstration and additional details about Apple's new in-app advertising service, iAds a today's WWDC keynote.

143144-iads_500.jpg

Noting a number of large companies already signed up for iAds, including Nissan, Chanel, GE, Target, Best Buy, and more, Jobs stated that advertisers have already committed to $60 million in iAds purchases for the second half of 2010.

iAds is built right into iOS 4, formerly known as iPhone OS 4. iAds will keep users who tap on ads within the app instead of taking them to a web page outside of the app.

iAds will be enabled July 1 and will offer a shared revenue model like the App Store, giving 60% of revenue to developers who use the service, with Apple keeping the remaining 40%.

Article Link: Apple's iAds Going Live on July 1

bwilfong

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Newburgh, IN
op out of ads

What if I don't WANT ads clutting up my cellphone at all? Does this mean in order to get into an app I've have to wait while a pretty little box spins or dances? Even if I don't have to wait it still takes up transmission bandwidth.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
60% doesn't seem so good
To a lot of developers it will seem like free money, since Apple has made it pretty easy for them to include ads in an app.

I just hope developers don't automatically take the deal and that they consider what we customers will think of the choice between a free app, paid app, a free app supported by ads, or a paid app that still has ads. :eek:

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Question

The iAds will use data correct?

Will ads be allowed to pop-up or will you have to select them?

McLyme

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
The iAds will use data correct?

Will ads be allowed to pop-up or will you have to select them?

so, if the ads are image intensive and just how BIG is that new screen in terms of MB? that could be a lot of data.

with the new data plans, one might consume a lot more data suddenly... == more revenue ;)

unless, like system text messages, add data is not charged to the end user.

could be an interesting issue in a bit.

MC

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
With the rates Apple are charging ($2 a click through, $1.20 to the developer) I'd imagine there will be a massive rush to get apps ready for the launch as there will be some serious bucks to be made over the first few weeks. Everyone will be clicking them at first to see what they're like before the novelty wears off.

DJ Ti-99

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
What about small, local businesses

Will they make it affordable for small, local businesses to use location specific advertising, or will the small, independent places be losing out to the big chains.

DJ Ti-99

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
What if I don't WANT ads clutting up my cellphone at all? Does this mean in order to get into an app I've have to wait while a pretty little box spins or dances? Even if I don't have to wait it still takes up transmission bandwidth.

If you don't want the ads, then don't get apps that are ad supported. At least as far as I can tell, it looks like that is the way it is going to work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

u6crash

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
DeKalb, IL
If you don't want the ads, then don't get apps that are ad supported. At least as far as I can tell, it looks like that is the way it is going to work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what I'm presuming as well. It doesn't seem all that bad or different from the way the world works now. Just because you pay for a newspaper or cable television, doesn't mean that you get them free of advertisements.

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
This is what I'm presuming as well. It doesn't seem all that bad or different from the way the world works now. Just because you pay for a newspaper or cable television, doesn't mean that you get them free of advertisements.

And devs will come up with $1.99 with ads and $10.99 WITHOUT ads. (under excuse they need to feed children and puppies and everyone will pity them and agree paying an extra $9).

Terminal.app

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
And devs will come up with $1.99 with ads and $10.99 WITHOUT ads. (under excuse they need to feed children and puppies and everyone will pity them and agree paying an extra $9).

I lol'd. And yes it's unfortunately true.

I'm shaking my head over this. Do not want.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Yet another reason why I'm moving to the Droid platform. OS 4 still pales compared to the Incredible with Sense. Thanks, but no thanks Stevie.

Becko

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
So let me get this right, iAds are Apple own flash version ? that would make sense why Steve Jobs decided to not support Adobe Flash anymore.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
I don't understand this at all. what's so great about iAds? I don't want motherfricken ads on my ipods, macs. They won't damn apply to me. I will be interested in something that I will be interested in.

Gosh almighty a cluttered world. never wished for it.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Just remember this: as with undesired TV channels, you don't have to click on them! Even if you do click on the iAd, you can also click on the X in the corner to exit the iAd and get back to the app in question. It helps out developers with absolutely NO cost to the user, except any time taken to look at the iAd.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
Just remember this: as with undesired TV channels, you don't have to click on them! Even if you do click on the iAd, you can also click on the X in the corner to exit the iAd and get back to the app in question. It helps out developers with absolutely NO cost to the user, except any time taken to look at the iAd.

That's the problem. Every website I go to and scroll over the ad by accident SCROLL OVER it, it'll take up the whole damn page. Even then, some ads take up the entire page automatically then decrease size after a couple of seconds and when you are about to click the page goes back to normal and you click the wrong thing. BING! The ad agency is full of ****. I'd like to go all obama on their ass. WHO'S ASS TO KICK PLZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.