Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I've got a large collection of DVDs ripped to the AppleTV preset of Handbrake? Does anyone know if these files will play properly on the new iPad or iPhone 4? Any insight would be appreciated!

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
This probably answers my own question... but here are the video specs for the new iPhone 4. It apparently should support the AppleTV setting video? Maybe there's something I'm missing though...

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Both the iPhone 4 and iPad can handle anything the Apple TV can handle. The problem is the Apple TV cannot do 720/30p which is pathetic and annoying.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
That's so freakin awesome... I was thinking about reencoding all of my videos so I could take them on the road with my iPhone... Ha! Awesome.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I was just about to come here and post this .... seems my entire library will work with the new iphone. All the more reason to get one....

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
That's so freakin awesome... I was thinking about reencoding all of my videos so I could take them on the road with my iPhone... Ha! Awesome.

I have low res versions of almost all my movies, scaled down to the iPhone's 480 lines. The main reason for this is memory space. The iPhone always could play ATV stuff if it was SD, but one SD DVD encoded for ATV takes up the same amount of space as 3 "low res" movies.

The new iPhone is at 960 lines, but until they bump the memory, I'm not going to be re-encoding my old low res files (but I might encode new ones to 960).

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
So if we do want to code the movies with the new resolution (960x640) in mind, what setting do we need to use in the Handbrake? Any custom settings as well?

And I'm using VirtualDobMod to burn in subtitles but then the movies end up being in a weird resolution, so it's like watching it on a 21:9 screen - what gives?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Both the iPhone 4 and iPad can handle anything the Apple TV can handle. The problem is the Apple TV cannot do 720/30p which is pathetic and annoying.

that is actually not true. when I convert a video to apple TV (with Quicktime 7 pro) it does not work on the iPhone or iPad. when I convert it in itunes it works. when I try to reconvert a quicktime 7 for apple TV movie itunes says it is already in apple TV format.

This drives me nuts.

There are so many different versions of videos and the iPad is quite picky about what to play. That is fine if apple would simply have one selection for iPad/iPhone/iPod that always works and has the optimal quality. But you either end up with low quality movies or they don't play. It can be quite frustrating.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
that is actually not true. when I convert a video to apple TV (with Quicktime 7 pro) it does not work on the iPhone or iPad.

This drives me nuts.

There are so many different versions of videos and the iPad is quite picky about what to play. That is fine if apple would simply have one selection for iPad/iPhone/iPod that always works and has the optimal quality. But you either end up with low quality movies or they don't play. It can be quite frustrating.

Use handbrake, select Apple TV or Universal Setting. It will work provided the iphone is a 3GS.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
So if we do want to code the movies with the new resolution (960x640) in mind, what setting do we need to use in the Handbrake? Any custom settings as well?

And I'm using VirtualDobMod to burn in subtitles but then the movies end up being in a weird resolution, so it's like watching it on a 21:9 screen - what gives?

I suspect, but haven't tried, that the resolution can be bumped by taking the iPhone preset, and then increasing the resolution under the picture settings. Not sure that anything else would be required.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If you're sourcing video off DVD, there's no point at all to increasing the resolution, since the source is limited to 480p anyway.

Apple Universal for the win.

Iphone4Mac

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Sorry, but can anyone confirm what are gonna be the best settings to use on Handbrake (custom or preset)

I want to start encoding all my movies for my 32 gig iphone 4 and what the best quality I can get. Thanks

PS im encoding avi's and mkv's

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
Sorry, but can anyone confirm what are gonna be the best settings to use on Handbrake (custom or preset)

I want to start encoding all my movies for my 32 gig iphone 4 and what the best quality I can get. Thanks

No such things as "best settings" or "best quality" for Handbrake I'm afraid.

Options I'd suggest are:

1. Spend a few hours reading the Handbrake forums; or

2. If you need compatibility with older Apple devices use the AppleTV preset and maybe bump the quality slider up a little (no higher than 19); or

3. If you really are just going to use it on iPhone 4 / iPad go with the High Profile or whatever its called.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

Your encodes are only going to be as good as your source material. AVIs and MKVs are likely going to yield suboptimal results compared to ripping from DVD or BluRay sources.

No settings in the world are going to change that.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
I just loaded onto my iPhone 4 a copy of the Dark Knight at 1280x720 (anamorphic 1723x720) that I encoded with Handbrake. It was encoded to max out the AppleTV's capabilities. It plays easily on the iPhone 4 and looks really good. Pixels are non-existant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.