PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Creek, CA

Devilshark
Jun 7, 2010, 03:26 PM
Anyone planning to camp out, "meet up"?

vastoholic
Jun 11, 2010, 07:50 PM

I would love too but I won't get back from my national guard duty until the 25th.

DaBest86
Jun 16, 2010, 06:27 PM
What time were you looking to go out there? I'm trying to go

Devilshark
Jun 17, 2010, 12:43 AM
What time were you looking to go out there? I'm trying to go

Considering the way the sales went, prob the night before. I live in WC, just a short walk for me.

sandylp
Jun 17, 2010, 01:02 PM

I'd love to hear from anyone else going to the WC store. I'm not sure what time to go.

Devilshark
Jun 17, 2010, 11:40 PM
I'd love to hear from anyone else going to the WC store. I'm not sure what time to go.

I'm thinking I'll get in line abt 430 AM. I don't need to be first, just one of the first ;)

vladinecko
Jun 18, 2010, 11:31 PM
i'm thinking 6am. it's either going to be WC or SF, have yet to decide. i'll have to drive from oakland, park some place in WC and then drive back during rush hour so i'm still deciding. while that store might not get as many people, their stock will also be lower than the flagship store in SF. it's a tossup, really.

vladinecko
Jun 18, 2010, 11:34 PM

if you camp out, i'll give you a lollipop and a huge thanks if you save me a spot in line! ;)

MacKai
Jun 19, 2010, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking I'll get in line abt 430 AM. I don't need to be first, just one of the first ;)

I will be there about that time also. I pre-ordered online, but I am really hoping the have white on launch for my wife. I have that day off so what the hell. If they do not, I could just leave. Just would be cool to be there with fans and share the excitement.:D

drewsky08
Jun 19, 2010, 03:59 AM
I'll be at the WC store for sure. I have mine reserved, so I should be there around 6:30-7:00. I have work at 11 (At Best Buy, go figure) to activate everyone else's iPhone's after I get mine :)

Onur
Jun 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'll probably be camping out at the WC store so I can get in and out quickly. Gotta get my phone and head to Electric Daisy Carnival in LA!!

Gators Fan
Jun 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
May have to be in the area on the 24th, so I reserved an iPhone 4 in WC to be on the safe side. My plan is to stop by Christy's Donuts (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=donuts+danville,+ca&fb=1&gl=us&hq=donuts&hnear=Danville,+CA&cid=6324632529512049914) in Danville, grab a box of pastries and a mug of coffee, then head on up about two hours before the store opens. With a reservation confirmation in-hand, I expect that line to move quickly.

Devilshark
Jun 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
Call me paranoid, but the latest story on the front page has convinced me to camp out (plus, I've never done an overnight line-up). I'm buying the pizza!:D

My wife and I both have 16GB's reserved.

drewsky08
Jun 20, 2010, 01:45 AM
Call me paranoid, but the latest story on the front page has convinced me to camp out (plus, I've never done an overnight line-up). I'm buying the pizza!:D

My wife and I both have 16GB's reserved.

I keep checking the Apple Store app to see if I'm still reserved and I am, and luckily it hasn't changed. One of my friends works at the Apple Store in WC, so I might pay her a visit and see if I'm on the "mysterious reserved list".

But I'll keep a lookout for the guy with pizza!

jasonstweeting
Jun 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'd like to be there around 5 or 6am as I have two iPhone 4's on reserve. I used two email addresses, one is for me, one is for my gf but only I will be there to get both, will Apple be ok with that? Also, I was able to get one ordered but only to be shipped to me by July 2nd or whatever, so should I cancel that and just pick it up in the store or leave it and pick up only 1 iphone 4 in the store? Not sure what to do...

jasonstweeting
Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
Anyone plan on selling their iPhone after they get the 4? The prices on eBay are dropping like flies and I predict it will only get worse once everyone gets the 4 and want to get rid of their 1st gen/3G/3GS.

If you're selling yours, pls let me know!

dlamin517
Jun 22, 2010, 01:49 AM
Anyone plan on selling their iPhone after they get the 4? The prices on eBay are dropping like flies and I predict it will only get worse once everyone gets the 4 and want to get rid of their 1st gen/3G/3GS.

If you're selling yours, pls let me know!

im trying to get rid of my 32gb 3gs for about 320 if ur interested

jasonstweeting
Jun 22, 2010, 08:37 AM
im trying to get rid of my 32gb 3gs for about 320 if ur interested

Sorry too much for me. I've gotten 16GB 3GS unlocked for $100 & $150 depending on condition & accesories. It's crazy how low they've gotten considering that just a week ago they were going for $350+!

sandylp
Jun 23, 2010, 09:11 AM
Sorry too much for me. I've gotten 16GB 3GS unlocked for $100 & $150 depending on condition & accesories. It's crazy how low they've gotten considering that just a week ago they were going for $350+!

You can sell a perfect iPhone 3G for $127 or an imperfect one for $107 at
Gazelle.com.

jasonstweeting
Jun 23, 2010, 12:13 PM
Anyone spotted camping out yet?

malaclypse
Jun 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
i have a preorder, but i'm not sure what time i should show up tomorrow... i really wish i had chosen to have it delivered instead!

xxRONNIExx
Jun 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
Im planning on getting there around 6-7am...hope its not too bad.

jasonstweeting
Jun 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
Im planning on getting there around 6-7am...hope its not too bad.

12 hours b4 opening, regretfully it is already too bad. Line is wrapped around store. Yippee bring a lawn chair tomorrow ppl ur going to be standing up a long time

Veeksharma
Jun 23, 2010, 08:58 PM
Is it that bad? Are there two lines for preorder and walkins? I have one on preorder but need to grab a second for the wife!

vladinecko
Jun 23, 2010, 10:49 PM
12 hours b4 opening, regretfully it is already too bad. Line is wrapped around store. Yippee bring a lawn chair tomorrow ppl ur going to be standing up a long time

Are you serious? That is insane, I don't think even SF has that many people at the moment. Jesus, I may just suck it up and wait a few days before getting mine. This is insane. Not that I expected otherwise...

dieburnbot
Jun 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
I already got my phone delivered, but if I was waiting in line this is most likely the store I would be at. I'm not surprised the line is wrapping around already. That apple store always seems to be a zoo. I got my iPad from there and the store was packed to the gills.

dieburnbot
Jun 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
Please delete.

Veeksharma
Jun 23, 2010, 11:58 PM
Well I'm here now guys! It's cold! Say hey if u see me! Black fox hat right by barnes and nobles!

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 12:09 AM
Well I'm here now guys! It's cold! Say hey if u see me! Black fox hat right by barnes and nobles!

Nice. Is there a lot people there? I'm actually doing the opposite and getting there later in the afternoon. I have a reservation and hoping to miss most of the crowds. Don't give my phone away, Mr. Apple Store Employee!!!

SilverLurker
Jun 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
How many people camping out already have a reservation? My original plan was to head out around 4:30 am but if everyone is camping out AND they have a reservation I'll just wait until after work.

If I were not married and not working tomorrow I'd probably be out there with ya!

kaplanfx
Jun 24, 2010, 12:53 AM
I too would like to know if the "reservations" people are lined up already. I was thinking I'd get there at 6ish, but if the line is already bad, maybe I'll wait until the afternoon, since Apple claims they will hold my reservation all day.

-kap

TriHFH
Jun 24, 2010, 03:32 AM
Deleted.

kaisotto
Jun 24, 2010, 05:58 AM
Any updates so far? I have a reservation too and was wondering if I should come down now or later... what do you guys think? =]

kaplanfx
Jun 24, 2010, 06:10 AM
Any updates so far? I have a reservation too and was wondering if I should come down now or later... what do you guys think? =]

Haha me too, I got up but I have to go to work at some point (before 9) so if it's going to take more than 2 hrs it's probably not worth it to head down.

-kap

jasonstweeting
Jun 24, 2010, 06:43 AM
Are you serious? That is insane, I don't think even SF has that many people at the moment. Jesus, I may just suck it up and wait a few days before getting mine. This is insane. Not that I expected otherwise...

here right now and it's looped around the blocked all the way to century Theaters. At least 150-200 ppl in line. No joke. I'm near the end now but 10 more ppl just showed up. Sucks!!!! Gona take a longgggggggg time

bluenoise
Jun 24, 2010, 06:46 AM
I don't have a reservation, but was thinking of heading over around 6:00. It sounds like that would be a wasted trip. I wish I wasn't an insomniac.

kaisotto
Jun 24, 2010, 06:53 AM
here right now and it's looped around the blocked all the way to century Theaters. At least 150-200 ppl in line. No joke. I'm near the end now but 10 more ppl just showed up. Sucks!!!! Gona take a longgggggggg time

Oh my! Maybe I'll wait until the store is actually open, the lines should shorten up since they are splitting the lines in two right? I hope they get you in and out of the store quickly. ^_^

vladinecko
Jun 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
Got here shortly after 6. The line came full circle back to the apple store. After they condensed and separated pre-orders, it put me to B&N. I guesstimate around 1,000 people in line at the moment. Apple giving out hot chocolate and water. Not like they can't afford it...

mashoutposse
Jun 24, 2010, 11:56 AM
Here now in the walk-in line. I've been here for 30 minutes and the line moved once. Reserves moving marginally faster.

I asked an employee at the front if they'll have enough -- he said numbers are going to be handed out soon.

vladinecko
Jun 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
4.5 hours later and still waiting. Seems like the line came to a standstill. It has been moving about a foot every 45 minutes. I cant imagine what is going on in the store. Slow would at least be an indication of speed. We're literally not moving at all.

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
Bummer. Hopefully it will get moving soon...I wonder if there are activation issues going on causing it take longer. I'm planning on getting there around 2:00 so hopefully the line will have shortened or dissipated by then.

mashoutposse
Jun 24, 2010, 12:40 PM
Reserves just moved a lot in the last few minutes. Walk-ins still barely moving... I hope someone will come out and confirm enough stock for the current line.

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
Anyone still there? What does the reservation line look like?

kaplanfx
Jun 24, 2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone still there? What does the reservation line look like?

I'd like to know too, I'm going to shoot for right before 5 to beat the after work rush.

-kap

Mackblack
Jun 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
they have two lines.... obviously the walkin line is longer... probli till barnes and noble. maybe 20-30 people altogether. they say they are almost running out of walkin iphones... good luck huntin...!!

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 03:30 PM
they have two lines.... obviously the walkin line is longer... probli till barnes and noble. maybe 20-30 people altogether. they say they are almost running out of walkin iphones... good luck huntin...!!

Cool. Thanks, Mackblack. Think I'll head in soon.

kaplanfx
Jun 24, 2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for your report, looks like it'll be safe for me to pickup my phone soon!

-kap

Mackblack
Jun 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
glad to help fellas.. .. back at work now.. I would appreciate if anyone else can update with info on lines or anything at the WC apple store. Thanks.

Mackblack
Jun 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
THEY ARE SOLD OUT OF THE IPHONES FOR WALKIN CUSTOMERS... DANGGGIT>.. only possibility now is if the reserve iphones are not picked up. GL fanboys.

kaplanfx
Jun 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
THEY ARE SOLD OUT OF THE IPHONES FOR WALKIN CUSTOMERS... DANGGGIT>.. only possibility now is if the reserve iphones are not picked up. GL fanboys.

Thanks for the update again. This is actually good news for us reservists, the crowds should be considerably smaller!

-kap

mashoutposse
Jun 24, 2010, 04:41 PM
Still in the store as a walk-in. Buying a 32GB now. 16GBs sold out 15 minutes ago.

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
Just got here. Looks like they're not allowing any more walk-ins. Pre-order line is to Barnes Noble...moving fairly fast (people are saying about 20 min)

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 05:23 PM
Line's only to the Gap next door now.

vladinecko
Jun 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
i was finally let in the store at around 1pm. it was hard to accept i waited for over 7.5 hours. i initially thought i'd be out of there by 9am. boy was i wrong.

it was all but logical. the pre-order people got incredible preferential treatment. we in the walk-in line were seriously moving a foot per hour. not cool.

they did feed us KFC and gave us water so that made it a bit more enjoyable.

i am able to replicate the signal deterioration problem when i hold the phone in my left hand and/or cover the bottom/left edge of the phone. the problem is quite drastic, actually. sometimes the number of bars stays the same, but i immediately lose connection. other times, i see the bars slowly disappearing.

also, the white balance in the camera app when you manually turn the flash on is way off. it produces blue images as a result. bad, very bad. and there isn't anywhere to adjust it.

fender4645
Jun 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
it was all but logical. the pre-order people got incredible preferential treatment. we in the walk-in line were seriously moving a foot per hour. not cool.

I think that's kind of expected. That's like making a reservation at the French Laundry weeks in advance and the guy who just walks up gets in at the same time as you. It sucks though that folks had to wait so long. It would seem that they should know in advance how many walk-ins they'll be able to accomodate so people would at least know right away if they're going to get one or not.

And I haven't been able to repro the signal loss issue. Then again, the AT&T tower is about 200 feet away from my house so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

jasonstweeting
Jun 25, 2010, 09:23 AM
Got my 2 reserved 32GB by 745am yesterday. I got there at 430am so not too bad of a wait. Def not 1,000 ppl in line, at least 250 at one point but they really got the reservists in & out fast. The non reserves did wait a lot longer, but not a foot an hour. It seemed like a 3 to 1 ratio (let 3 reserves in then 1 non reserve).

Anyone know what happened at the end of the night? They completely run out? The reserved non pick ups going to be available today?

bholaladka
Jun 25, 2010, 04:11 PM
Got my 2 reserved 32GB by 745am yesterday. I got there at 430am so not too bad of a wait. Def not 1,000 ppl in line, at least 250 at one point but they really got the reservists in & out fast. The non reserves did wait a lot longer, but not a foot an hour. It seemed like a 3 to 1 ratio (let 3 reserves in then 1 non reserve).

Anyone know what happened at the end of the night? They completely run out? The reserved non pick ups going to be available today?

they are not picking up the phone at this store. Is it sold out? I am trying to get 16 G on walk in :D

jjsun
Jun 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
they are not picking up the phone at this store. Is it sold out? I am trying to get 16 G on walk in :D

Please let us know. I'm debating whether to run down there this evening to pick one up...or at least get on a priority list.

bholaladka
Jun 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Please let us know. I'm debating whether to run down there this evening to pick one up...or at least get on a priority list.

they ran out...

jjsun
Jun 26, 2010, 04:07 AM
they ran out...

yep, I walked in about 8pm and asked to be put on the Priority List. I'm sure the list is hundreds deep, but it saves a lot of time so I'm not constantly running back and forth to check if they have phones.

bluenoise
Jun 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
I stopped in this morning at opening. No phones today and the manager said they haven't started any kind of waiting list. Of course, she also said she'd never heard of any kind of antenna/reception issues with the new phone, so take that for what it's worth.

jjsun
Jun 26, 2010, 03:14 PM
I stopped in this morning at opening. No phones today and the manager said they haven't started any kind of waiting list. Of course, she also said she'd never heard of any kind of antenna/reception issues with the new phone, so take that for what it's worth.

They definitely have the Priority List going. I attached a pic of the email confirmation I received.

bluenoise
Jun 26, 2010, 03:34 PM
They definitely have the Priority List going. I attached a pic of the email confirmation I received.

Grrr....:mad:

That stupid girl. She had bad breath, too!

jjsun
Jun 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
Grrr....:mad:

That stupid girl. She had bad breath, too!

I recommend walking all the way to the back and checking near or at the Genius bar. They knowledge disparity between the front of the store and back of the store is remarkable. The guy I spoke with told me he turned away several people until another employee told him about the list. So, evidently they haven't been communicating much.

bluenoise
Jun 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
I recommend walking all the way to the back and checking near or at the Genius bar. They knowledge disparity between the front of the store and back of the store is remarkable. The guy I spoke with told me he turned away several people until another employee told him about the list. So, evidently they haven't been communicating much.

The bummer is this gal seemed to be some kind of supervisor. Before the store opened, she was holding a clipboard and giving some kind of talk to the staff while a small crowd waited outside for them to open the store. If I hadn't seen that, I would have done as you suggest. If I'm back in town, I'll do just that.

Mackblack
Jun 26, 2010, 04:37 PM
when did they promise to have your iphone ready?..

jjsun
Jun 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
when did they promise to have your iphone ready?..

No promises...Apple will never promise anything :D.

There are a few reasons that I put myself on the Priority List at the Apple Store:

1. I will likely get the phone faster than if I went thru the web store or AT&T
2. I'm adding a line to my family plan to pay the fully subsidized price since my line isn't eligible for upgrade - I figure this is something Apple can handle
3. No constant back and forth checking the stock of the phone. Just an email letting me know when the phone arrives.

I anticipate that starting Sunday or Monday, all Apple stores will go to a no walk-in policy and direct everyone to the Priority List. This is what happened with the iPad. As for an estimate of time, I personally think it will be about 5-7 days. Each store will likely get a small shipment of phones every day except Sunday.

leo8877
Jun 26, 2010, 08:37 PM
No promises...Apple will never promise anything :D.

There are a few reasons that I put myself on the Priority List at the Apple Store:

1. I will likely get the phone faster than if I went thru the web store or AT&T
2. I'm adding a line to my family plan to pay the fully subsidized price since my line isn't eligible for upgrade - I figure this is something Apple can handle
3. No constant back and forth checking the stock of the phone. Just an email letting me know when the phone arrives.

I anticipate that starting Sunday or Monday, all Apple stores will go to a no walk-in policy and direct everyone to the Priority List. This is what happened with the iPad. As for an estimate of time, I personally think it will be about 5-7 days. Each store will likely get a small shipment of phones every day except Sunday.

I don't know, I got the iPad on a walk-in the Monday after it was released, just going into Stoneridge Mall. I had called on the phone and they said nothing was in stock, but when I got to the store, they said yeah we have 32 GBs in stock. I'm guessing no matter what the priority list says, if you're physically there and you're asking, they'll give you a phone.

jjsun
Jun 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know, I got the iPad on a walk-in the Monday after it was released, just going into Stoneridge Mall. I had called on the phone and they said nothing was in stock, but when I got to the store, they said yeah we have 32 GBs in stock. I'm guessing no matter what the priority list says, if you're physically there and you're asking, they'll give you a phone.

That's correct as the iPad didn't have a Priority List until a couple of weeks after launch. It's my feeling that starting next week, if any walks in and asks for iPhone, the default answer will be "no, but we can add you to our list." Of course, the WC Store has quite a bit of traffic, so ultimately not sure about smaller stores.

Mackblack
Jun 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
thanks for clearing that up. gl hunting!.

vladinecko
Jun 29, 2010, 02:03 PM
That's like making a reservation at the French Laundry weeks in advance and the guy who just walks up gets in at the same time as you.

not really. the guy with a reservation is guaranteed a table. it's been put aside for him and it's only waiting for him to show up and be seated. why does that guy care that there is an empty table next to him meant for walk-ins? he's already seated!