PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 The Gateway, UTAH

AWD iPhone
Jun 7, 2010, 03:31 PM
June 24th 2010 Doors open at 10:00 AM
Apple Store @ The Gateway (http://www.apple.com/retail/thegateway)

If you are hardcore enough, there might be a June 23rd Sleepover...
But if you are not, Lets me there at 7AM !

http://www.fanboystatus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/applestore.png (http://www.apple.com/retail/thegateway/)

MrMongolia
Jun 7, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'll be taking time out of my busy day in South Africa at the WorldCup to reserve mine!

PorterRocks
Jun 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
I definitely plan to be there!

PorterRocks
Jun 10, 2010, 12:44 AM
Any idea if they will let us camp out? I called today to find out but the managers were in a meeting and I forgot to call back.

gusapple
Jun 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Any idea if they will let us camp out? I called today to find out but the managers were in a meeting and I forgot to call back.I know in the past that the security at the Gateway forced the people to sleep out back behind the store, but the people from Apple and the surrounding shops were handing out free water and SWAG.

I think that I'll be pre-ordering or staying with my local AT&T store. Last time, they were pretty good about allowing us to camp out in front of the store. :D

PorterRocks
Jun 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
I was in line at an AT&T store for the launch of iPhone 3G. They had 40 phones and I was 46 in line. I went to the Apple store and was able to get one (after another 5 hours in line). My plan is to just go to the apple store directly after work the day before. But I need to know what their plan is. I guess I'll be calling again tomorrow.

Anyone else out there camping out at the SLC Apple store?

PorterRocks
Jun 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Got a reservation. Won't be camping out. See you guys at 7am!

fossen
Jun 17, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm planning to stop by this Sunday when things are quieter, and ask about lining up. See if they have any plans by then.

AWD iPhone
Jun 18, 2010, 12:56 PM
Wooo ! just got mine ! See you guys there
http://www.fanboystatus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone4g.jpg

benhollberg
Jun 18, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'll be camping out at The Gateway for sure, anyone else?

The Viking
Jun 18, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have a reservation so hadn't really considered showing up before 5 or 6. But camping might actually be fun. I just worry about the neighborhood a bit for that.

chris.robison
Jun 18, 2010, 11:35 PM
I didn't preorder, but I am going to show up and try for one anyway. I don't have my hopes up.

Anyone done this in the past? Does the SLC store get crazy?

chris.robison
Jun 18, 2010, 11:36 PM
Wooo ! just got mine ! See you guys there
http://www.fanboystatus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone4g.jpg

This says ships July 14th.... Trying anyway? :confused:

xboxphanatic
Jun 18, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'll be there. I've got one reserved for myself, but my wife is holding out and hoping they have white ones available on launch day. What time are most of you getting in line? I live in Orem and on the 3G launch I got in line at our AT&T store at 10 p.m. the previous night. Even then I didn't get one because of how few quantity they received, so I spent the rest of they day at the Gateway. I'm hoping to not relive that whole experience again, but am expecting the worst.

benhollberg
Jun 19, 2010, 12:18 AM
I have camped out at the Gateway before for Apple products. I actually is pretty fun, you are there will people that you can easily relate to. I plan on going late Wednesday night, anyone else?

fossen
Jun 19, 2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think I can do a full campout, and am hoping it's not necessary.

I don't have a reservation, but am hoping 4ish will be early enough to secure one on launch day.

chris.robison
Jun 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm taking my chances with Thursday morning. Maybe they have whites, maybe they have extra for day of, maybe people cancel or bought too many.

Guess we'll see. Could be SOL.

Bootsie
Jun 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
I am thinking about coming, but I don't have a reservation and I live about 45min away... I just don't know if I want to wait in line for hours and then not even get one, but I have the day off of work.

I might see you there haha

Empire3k
Jun 19, 2010, 04:19 PM
Some friends and I will be there overnight. Anyone heard what the store has planned for people waiting?

gusapple
Jun 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Well, I called the Apple Store to ask a few questions about my reservation and ended up talking to the guy about camping out. He said that he's predicting that without a preorder, you'll have to start camping out the day before. I have a reservation, but I'm still going at 5 the day before. Ha ha

chris.robison
Jun 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
Well, I called the Apple Store to ask a few questions about my reservation and ended up talking to the guy about camping out. He said that he's predicting that without a preorder, you'll have to start camping out the day before. I have a reservation, but I'm still going at 5 the day before. Ha ha

2 things... Why not have it shipped when you pre-ordered? Why would you go the day before if you pre-ordered?

Do you enjoy it or something? I just don't get this.

gusapple
Jun 20, 2010, 02:48 AM
2 things... Why not have it shipped when you pre-ordered? Why would you go the day before if you pre-ordered?

Do you enjoy it or something? I just don't get this.

I had the usual issues that many were having on the 15th and used the Apple Store App to pre-order. It doesn't allow for shipping. Also, it says in the fine print of the email from Apple that "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis." So why not come early?

Which brings me to the second point: I do enjoy it. Last time, some friends and I spent the whole night playing card games in line. This time, I have a few more coming to actually buy iPhones (without a reservation).

PorterRocks
Jun 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'll be there. I've got one reserved for myself, but my wife is holding out and hoping they have white ones available on launch day. What time are most of you getting in line? I live in Orem and on the 3G launch I got in line at our AT&T store at 10 p.m. the previous night. Even then I didn't get one because of how few quantity they received, so I spent the rest of they day at the Gateway. I'm hoping to not relive that whole experience again, but am expecting the worst.

Was this at the University Mall by chance? If so, I was in that same line. Got there about 8:00 the night before and the same thing happened to me. Ended up getting it at the Apple store after another 5 hours in line.

PorterRocks
Jun 20, 2010, 04:46 PM
I forgot to mention, I plan on being in the reservation line around 5am but may decide to get there at 3 just to hang with some of my fellow Apple fans.:apple:

Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

cdon35
Jun 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'll be there at around 7 the night before to hopefully snag a walk in. I'm actually switching over from an Evo back to an iPhone.

This is my first time camping out at an Apple store, how crazy is it at the Gateway? Is 7 the night before enough time? I've done this once when the Xbox 360 came out. Crazy stuff.

xboxphanatic
Jun 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
Was this at the University Mall by chance? If so, I was in that same line. Got there about 8:00 the night before and the same thing happened to me. Ended up getting it at the Apple store after another 5 hours in line.

Yes it was. I originally had planned just going by early in the morning and by chance decided to drive by to see if anyone was in line at the AT&T store. I couldn't believe it when I saw the line at 50+ already.

Right now it looks like I should be getting in line at the Gateway around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. Should be a fun time. :)

PorterRocks
Jun 20, 2010, 07:55 PM
Were you around long enough to see the blendtec guy? I had no idea he was local until I saw him show up at AT&T.

I was originally planning to head to the Apple store Wednesday evening until I got a reservation. Like I said before, I'm planning to be there around 5am unless enough people from this forum want to chill. Then I'll arrive earlier.

gusapple
Jun 20, 2010, 09:21 PM
Were you around long enough to see the blendtec guy? I had no idea he was local until I saw him show up at AT&T.

Yeah, Blendtec is based out of Orem. http://blendtec.com/contactus.aspx

chris.robison
Jun 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
I had the usual issues that many were having on the 15th and used the Apple Store App to pre-order. It doesn't allow for shipping. Also, it says in the fine print of the email from Apple that "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis." So why not come early?

Which brings me to the second point: I do enjoy it. Last time, some friends and I spent the whole night playing card games in line. This time, I have a few more coming to actually buy iPhones (without a reservation).

Gotcha. Just curious. Sorry if I sounded rude before.

I've seen a lot of people doing this, a lot that could have just had it shipped to their house and helped save on lines. Dang those guys. ;)

chris.robison
Jun 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
I really don't want to come the night before. I'm going to show up around 5 - 6 a.m. and take my chances. I don't have my hopes up, so I won't be disappointed if I show up to a giant ass line.

They are opening at 7?

efirmage
Jun 20, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm planning on getting there around 4-5 a.m. I just sold my 3Gs, so I'm really hoping they have some stock.

PorterRocks
Jun 20, 2010, 11:54 PM
I really don't want to come the night before. I'm going to show up around 5 - 6 a.m. and take my chances. I don't have my hopes up, so I won't be disappointed if I show up to a giant ass line.

They are opening at 7?

Yup. See you there.

AlaskaMacHead
Jun 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
So, in anyone's past experience with these events, does it behoove an individual with a "reservation" for an iPhone to show up super early, as in overnight? Are the lines for reservation THAT crazy? Just trying to work out the particulars of what I need to do to get my phone on Thursday! I will be going up to SLC from Provo and need to have an idea what I am up against. Thanks!

efirmage
Jun 21, 2010, 02:14 AM
So, in anyone's past experience with these events, does it behoove an individual with a "reservation" for an iPhone to show up super early, as in overnight? Are the lines for reservation THAT crazy? Just trying to work out the particulars of what I need to do to get my phone on Thursday! I will be going up to SLC from Provo and need to have an idea what I am up against. Thanks!
As long as you reserved it and didn't get canceled you should be able to walk into the store at any time launch day and pick it up. You might have to wait in line just to get into the store though, they don't have much space in there. Most people are camping out or arriving extremely early because they didn't reserve one or for the experience and craziness that always accompanies these events. Or both. :D

gusapple
Jun 21, 2010, 08:10 AM

The guy at the Apple Store skirted around the question when I asked him about this. In his words they "have a list" of customers that have a reserved iPhone. Now, if they'll be setting up a different line, I do not know, it'll all depend. My best guess is that they'll end up selling out by the end of the morning and begin ordering iPhones for those with reservations. You'll probably be able to pay for them, but that'll be all.

xboxphanatic
Jun 21, 2010, 11:47 AM
For those wondering about the lines, I dug up these old pictures that I took from the 3G launch. The main difference though was at that time you couldn't reserve/order online and the only place to buy was at Apple and AT&T stores.

http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/iphone2.jpg
http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/iphone3.jpg
http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/iphone5.jpg
http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/iphone4.jpg

gusapple
Jun 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
For those wondering about the lines, I dug up these old pictures that I took from the 3G launch. The main difference though was at that time you couldn't reserve/order online and the only place to buy was at Apple and AT&T stores.

Holy smokes!!!

BTW, I just got a reminder from Apple (as if I'd forget) about coming with a reservation. It looks like there will be two separate lines for those with and without pre-orders.

chris.robison
Jun 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
Glad they'll have 2 lines, that'll help. 1 for the smart people and 1 for the suckers. ;) Wish I had been a smart one. Decided to hold off though.

Gah, so those pictures look scary. How fast did the line move that day? How long did you actually stand in line after they opened?

Edit: Man, they'd have to have hundreds and hundreds of phones for launch. Think that's possible? It'd be really cool to get one without a pre order.

AlaskaMacHead
Jun 21, 2010, 09:27 PM
The guy at the Apple Store skirted around the question when I asked him about this. In his words they "have a list" of customers that have a reserved iPhone. Now, if they'll be setting up a different line, I do not know, it'll all depend. My best guess is that they'll end up selling out by the end of the morning and begin ordering iPhones for those with reservations. You'll probably be able to pay for them, but that'll be all.

Well, as it turns out I got an email today telling me I that upon my arrival at the store, I will be directed to a line for those with reservations. Whew.

If I don't walk out with a phone on Thursday, I'm not paying or ordering or anything, since I leave the country for the summer on Friday. Sure hope my reservation is meaningful in some way.

homercles
Jun 21, 2010, 09:34 PM
Having been in 3 iphone lines at The Gateway, I can attest that things will get crazy. Each time I made the mistake of showing up at hour early or so and the lines are generally wrapping around to the back of the building by then.

With that said, this year I plan to camp out, provided theres some people there, that is. My plan is to show up around 9 or 10 Wednesday night, fully charged iPad and iPhone and camp chair in tow. :)

I do have a reservation for a ozone, but knowing what happened for the 3GS, the reservation is nearly pointless. They'll break us up into two lines, one for people with reservations and one without. Last year the "with" line was at least 5-10x LONGER that the without, but the without moved A LOT slower. So while having onechelps, still expect to wait in line for a while.

Lastly, if the crush for preorders in any sign, I expect thecline this year to be astronomical. The earlier you show cup the better, that's for sure. Expecting to show up at 7 and get a phone ASAP is just plain silly. Also, I suspect we're going to see product shortages. Thinking you can wait a day or so may cause you to wait weeks (look at the iPad for an example)

See you guys Wednesday night!

benhollberg
Jun 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
I plan on going there Wednesday evening sometime. Anyone one want to meet up? I will probably be there around 6 or 7. If you are going down Wednesday what time?

fossen
Jun 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
I plan on going there Wednesday evening sometime. Anyone one want to meet up? I will probably be there around 6 or 7. If you are going down Wednesday what time?

I won't be there until quite a bit later. But where I used to think that 5:30 AM would get me a phone sans reservation, now I'll try to be in line around midnight.

gusapple
Jun 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm hoping to be there around 9. One of my friends is having a pool party, so he can't go until then. I will be in line, though by 10 for sure. I'll be the one with a Macbook Pro and no sleeping bag. I really don't plan on sleeping until Thursday afternoon. :D

mcwbyu82
Jun 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
We really need an Apple store in Utah Valley:mad:

gusapple
Jun 22, 2010, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I'm positive that one at the University Mall would make tons of money.

homercles
Jun 22, 2010, 10:47 AM

I may end up going down after work instead of going home first. Hmmmm

gusapple
Jun 22, 2010, 03:49 PM
Anybody gone by the Apple Store to see if any true fans are already camping out? ;)

homercles
Jun 22, 2010, 05:28 PM
Anybody gone by the Apple Store to see if any true fans are already camping out? ;)

There's a fine line between insanity and fan. :) IMO, someone in line now is insane.

PorterRocks
Jun 22, 2010, 07:48 PM

Called a little while ago to ask about camping out and the guy said there is no one in line YET. However he did state that waiting in the mall is prohibited (overnight) but you could sit behind the store if you wish. After seeing those pictures, I'm wondering if 5am will be early enough for the reservation line. I'd like to be as close to the front as possible. :confused:

PorterRocks
Jun 22, 2010, 07:51 PM

Oh, how I agree with this. There is the Simply Mac store, but it's just not the same. They don't even sell the iPhone. I also hate driving all the way up to SLC any time I want or need to hit the Apple store. :apple:

AlaskaMacHead
Jun 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
Called a little while ago to ask about camping out and the guy said there is no one in line YET. However he did state that waiting in the mall is prohibited (overnight) but you could sit behind the store if you wish. After seeing those pictures, I'm wondering if 5am will be early enough for the reservation line. I'd like to be as close to the front as possible. :confused:

Did the store specify 5 am as the end of "overnight"? I'm curious about this. Waiting behind the mall overnight, in that neighbourhood, is not an especially appealing option.

benhollberg
Jun 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
Did the store specify 5 am as the end of "overnight"? I'm curious about this. Waiting behind the mall overnight, in that neighbourhood, is not an especially appealing option.

I stayed overnight twice at the Gateway for Apple products, waiting behind the store isn't bad at all. And really there is no neighborhood, there is apartments and one road. There will also be many people there. No need to worry about it.

PorterRocks
Jun 22, 2010, 08:30 PM

In an earlier post, I stated that I thought 5am sounded like a good time to arrive since I have a reservation; not too early, not too late. I don't know what time they'll start letting people actually form a line in front of the store.

benhollberg
Jun 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
In an earlier post, I stated that I thought 5am sounded like a good time to arrive since I have a reservation; not too early, not too late. I don't know what time they'll start letting people actually form a line in front of the store.

Last year they also said the store would open at 7. However, they let people form a line at the front of the store at sunrise, maybe around 5. Then they actually opened the store at 6. I bet they let people at the front of the store about the same time, around 5.

duvinclunk
Jun 22, 2010, 11:48 PM
Do I really have to show up before 5am with reservation? :eek:

homercles
Jun 23, 2010, 06:58 AM
Do I really have to show up before 5am with reservation? :eek:

It all depends. Provided that AT&T and Apple servers can keep up, you can expect a 3-4 hour wait in line. The earlier you show up, the shorter you'll wait after the 7am opening. So it really all comes down to how late in the day you want to get out of the store.

Brandonsc
Jun 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
Broken

homercles
Jun 23, 2010, 02:58 PM
So I'm definitely going down to the store after I get off work tonight. Should be there around 6 or so. Guess I'll head to the back of the store and set up camp and prepare myself for a sleepless night. :) Besides, no need to sleep now when I can sleep tomorrow afternoon. :p

element
Jun 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
Seriously considering going down tonight after dinner. The nerd in me wants to bring a generator, XBOX 360 and TV but just doing the overnight alone is pushing the dweebiness meter a little high :D

gusapple
Jun 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
So how many are coming tonight with a reservation? I'll be there at 9 exactly. I'm pretty stoked!

element
Jun 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
So how many are coming tonight with a reservation? I'll be there at 9 exactly. I'm pretty stoked!
You're actually going tonight with a reservation? That's die-hard right there :P I wasn't lucky enough to get a reservation, hence the camping out.

gusapple
Jun 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
You're actually going tonight with a reservation? That's die-hard right there :P I wasn't lucky enough to get a reservation, hence the camping out.

I am like Bruce Willis Die Hard. Really.

xboxphanatic
Jun 23, 2010, 04:30 PM

Should be there about the same time. I've also got a reservation. My coworker got his in the mail today and brought it in to work, so I at least got to see one for a few minutes in person.

Jason Beck
Jun 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
I would come just to hang out. But being down in Cedar City sort of sucks. Wish there was a St. George Apple Store! Good to see some Utah MRumors people! I don't use iPhones but would have just come to do homework and hang out LOL.

fossen
Jun 23, 2010, 05:09 PM

Same here ... if I had a reservation, I sure wouldn't be camping. Should be there around midnight, and am assuming that showing up at midnight I can't be too late to get a phone.

right?:confused:

homercles
Jun 23, 2010, 05:26 PM

I'll be there tonight with a reservation. On a day like tomorrow a reservation means very little. It means you'll get in the reservation line, which will move somewhat faster than the nonres line. I expect majorvproblems tomorrow and want to limit my time sitting in the sun to a minimum. I'd much rather camp out in the cool night air than sit, baking in the 90 degree sun. :)

If you think that with a reservation you'll just pop in, grab a phone and pop out you are sorely mistaken. I had a reservation last year and still sat in line for 3+ hours. And that was for the relatively weak 3GS. The anticipation forth iPhone 4 is out of sight this year, much, much more than any iPhone since the original, IMO.

Besides, the last time i camped was for iPhone 2G and miss them. :)

homercles
Jun 23, 2010, 05:29 PM
Seriously considering going down tonight after dinner. The nerd in me wants to bring a generator, XBOX 360 and TV but just doing the overnight alone is pushing the dweebiness meter a little high :D

That's nothing. Bring some costumes for cosplay and that's gin too far. :D

dasgooch
Jun 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
For those of you that are going to be in line tonight, will you post any updates you can about what the lines are looking like?

benhollberg
Jun 23, 2010, 05:48 PM
On my way there now! Should be there in about 30 minutes. I hope to see people there, I don't want to be first in line. Maybe second.

element
Jun 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
Should be there around midnight, and am assuming that showing up at midnight I can't be too late to get a phone.

right?:confused:
Sure hope so, or I'm gonna feel like a douchebag :D

gusapple
Jun 23, 2010, 06:09 PM
For those of you that are going to be in line tonight, will you post any updates you can about what the lines are looking like?

+1 If they're too bad, then I'm gonna consider leaving a previous engagement early.

Just got off the phone with the Apple Store guy. He said there were a little over 50 people there when he came out around 5. Hope I can still get an iPhone.... Uh-oh.

CarloVonSexron
Jun 23, 2010, 10:15 PM
Do the parking garages stay open overnight? If not, what time do they open in the morning, or where is a good place to a park?

I'm new to SLC :)

xboxphanatic
Jun 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
I just got here and am at the back of the line. I can't believe how many people are here already. Just guessing but i would say at least a couple hundred.

JMB1911
Jun 23, 2010, 10:19 PM
I just got here and am at the back of the line. I can't believe how many people are here already. Just guessing but i would say at least a couple hundred.

Dang...I was thinking of coming down about midnight. Now not so sure. Maybe I'll just wait it out and try and snag one from an at and t store next week at their launch.

gusapple
Jun 23, 2010, 10:25 PM

I'm in back too! I'm the one in an orange shirt.

chris.robison
Jun 23, 2010, 10:26 PM
After all I've heard today (yellow spots, reception issues, no white, big lines, past years activation problems) I'm just going to wait. It'll probably be mid July now for me, but oh well. No point wasting so much time and energy for me.

Good luck all, have fun!

utahjazz.fan2
Jun 23, 2010, 10:30 PM

Is the crowd mostly those without reservations?

PorterRocks
Jun 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
A couple hundred? Really? F that. I've got a reservation and will probably show up slightly earlier like 4 or 4:30. I've got the whole day to stand in line tomorrow. I'm gonna get some shut-eye and start getting ready for iDay at 3am. See you guys there!:apple:

chris.robison
Jun 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
Take some pics!

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think I'll show up around 9/9:30. Anyone want Betos?

xboxphanatic
Jun 23, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm in back too! I'm the one in an orange shirt.

I'm in a black shirt that says Kenner in a lawn chair on my iPad.

xboxphanatic
Jun 23, 2010, 10:49 PM
Here's a pic I took a little bit ago.

http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/l_1600_1200_26DCF2CA-147C-455A-BD3F-65393D3218DD.jpeg

AlaskaMacHead
Jun 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
...and I'm a block away from the front of the line. Sigh. I have a reservation and some of those I've talked to don't. Here's hoping I get mine early tomorrow.

utahjazz.fan2
Jun 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
I no longer have the full day off tomorrow. I have a reservation. Hopefully I can make it to the store by noon and not spend the rest of the day waiting in line.

fossen
Jun 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
So if I head down now ... is it already too late? No reservation here.

Waiting overnight for an iPhone, I'll do. Waiting overnight for no iPhone .... I'm not so sure about that. :)

Trialnterror
Jun 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
Hey how about another pic! Also how many people have reservations? N did very many people even get reservations there?

chris.robison
Jun 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
I just drove by...

Line is basically the full lawn section back behind the Gateway. Pretty crazy. Lots of people already(though somewhat spread out with tents and chairs).

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for update , can't freaking sleep!!!!

efirmage
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
please post more pictures!

Punkers
Jun 24, 2010, 12:39 AM
You all should have pre-ordered via the Apple Online Store or AT&T online, as I ordered my iPhone 4 32gb on the Apple Store and received it today at 2:45 pm. I even went to Southtowne mall and got an invisiShield installed on it and have been using it most of the day.

Next year, don't waste your life in a line. LOL :)

element
Jun 24, 2010, 01:11 AM
You all should have pre-ordered via the Apple Online Store or AT&T online, as I ordered my iPhone 4 32gb on the Apple Store and received it today at 2:45 pm. I even went to Southtowne mall and got an invisiShield installed on it and have been using it most of the day.

Yeah, thanks, except the pre-order process was pretty ****ed up :rolleyes:

Pictures to follow. I'm towards the back by the turqoise "In" newspaper stand and a bench (with my XBOX 360!)

http://illamint.com/IMG_0410.jpg

http://illamint.com/IMG_0411.jpg

http://illamint.com/IMG_0412.jpg

http://illamint.com/IMG_0414.jpg

http://illamint.com/IMG_0415.jpg

dialed1
Jun 24, 2010, 01:14 AM

Some people tried for 5 plus hours to pre-order and still didn't get through :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 02:19 AM
Are u guys making 2 lines (reserved) (chance)? Or does that come at 5:00am

rjtyork
Jun 24, 2010, 02:20 AM
I believe I'm the 120-140th in line. Almost all the way down the block. I can't believe how many people are here. This is insane.

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 02:24 AM
How many of the 120 are chance?

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 02:29 AM
Anything I can bring you guys I'll be there in a few hours

homercles
Jun 24, 2010, 02:58 AM
So I'm in line and this thing has really blown up. The line starts at the round-a-bout by the Apple Store, heads south to 100 S and is wrapping back around. The wrap around is half way between 100S and the round-a-bout. My guesstimate is well over 200 to 250 people in line. So far it seems to be mostly people WITHOUT reservations, but there are a good few with them as well (me included).

By the time to rush of people arrive at 5AM, this line could go over 300 people easily. This is, by far, the biggest line ivermectin ever seen for an iPhone (or any Apple product) launch. Amazing.

homercles
Jun 24, 2010, 03:00 AM
Are u guys making 2 lines (reserved) (chance)? Or does that come at 5:00am

It is a single line right now. I'm sure the split will happen around 5.

gusapple
Jun 24, 2010, 03:02 AM
Has anybody found a bathroom? I just walked around and I couldn't find one where a security guard wasn't near.

CANEHDN
Jun 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
I just have been peeing between the buildings where the line wraps around the field. I have no desire to look anywhere else.

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the replys

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 03:48 AM
Will they let u park in winter parking this early?

PorterRocks
Jun 24, 2010, 04:22 AM
Well, I'm heading up right now boys and girls! Thanks for the pics, I had no idea it would be that crazy already! Be there soon.

hunter x az
Jun 24, 2010, 04:28 AM
SLC, folk here -- how are things going?

element
Jun 24, 2010, 05:05 AM
Security guard just gave us a count: 397 people here so far.

homercles
Jun 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
Has anybody found a bathroom? I just walked around and I couldn't find one where a security guard wasn't near.

I walked up to the Radisson. Theres a nice restroom in their lobby.

homercles
Jun 24, 2010, 05:11 AM
Anyone have any idea of how many people do and do not have reservations? I'm about 79 in line and I really hope nit a lot of people do. :)

homercles
Jun 24, 2010, 05:14 AM
Also, here's a video I shot at 9pm of the line. Compared to what it is now, this is a short line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZsRGwRV0w

gusapple
Jun 24, 2010, 05:22 AM
Gotta be at least 430 by now. Better get down here. Hearing a magic number of 1,000 iPhones. Not sure. Be careful! There was some ruckus around 3:30 when a guy (I think) got robbed. Security guard didn't really go after the guy, but did call in backup. Anyways...

CANEHDN
Jun 24, 2010, 05:47 AM
I saw that whole ruckuss thing. Some guy was pouching and kneeing some guy in the face. The security guy was standing really close and started running towards them but the guy ran off. Cops came but didn't stay long.

utahjazz.fan2
Jun 24, 2010, 06:58 AM
Any updates?

CarloVonSexron
Jun 24, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm at the end of the reserved line. It starts at the Apple Store, heads north to the next street, east down that street, then a bit south on 400.

Edit: the line monitor says they'll be doing 20 reservations per 1 walkin. He also says that the walkin line is four times longer.

PorterRocks
Jun 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well, I tried to post some updates but I could not get a wifi signal from ANYWHERE. But alas, I got my iPhone 4! I got there at 4:30, and got my iPhone at about 8:00. I felt really bad walking by all those people in the walk-in line. All kinds of awesome comments from them. I think next year, the store should separate the lines from the beginning. Any of you get yours yet?

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
Has anyone heard anything about the inventory? Will there be any left before noon? What seems to be selling more, 16GB or 32GB?

fossen
Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
Two hours since store open, and a total of 9 non-reservation people have gone in. Reservations go straight in.

Fair enough, I suppose. Though the fact I tried to reserve but couldn't because of the website issues tempers the fairness.

However, there seem to be enough phones, and a FedEx truck arrived just as I'm writing this.

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Two hours since store open, and a total of 9 non-reservation people have gone in. Reservations go straight in.

Fair enough, I suppose. Though the fact I tried to reserve but couldn't because of the website issues tempers the fairness.

However, there seem to be enough phones, and a FedEx truck arrived just as I'm writing this.

Wow, so basically there are still hundreds of people in line? I'm hoping I don't have to wait in line and can still get one.

dalley333
Jun 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have a reservation but cannot get to the store until 8pm tonight. Please post if they sell out so that I don't head down for no reason.

Thanks to all you die hards and good luck!

CANEHDN
Jun 24, 2010, 10:17 AM
As long as you have a reservation and you make it before they close, you'll be okay. They mentioned that numerous times while in line.

squanto11
Jun 24, 2010, 10:45 AM
Wow, so basically there are still hundreds of people in line? I'm hoping I don't have to wait in line and can still get one.

I am hoping the same thing, I am hoping the line is shorter later this afternoon, but you never know. I am also hoping they keep count with how many phones they have in store, I don't mind waiting, but waiting for no reason does not sound like fun.

JMB1911
Jun 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
Can anyone say how long the non-reserve line is?

I didnt reserve because when they started the reserving last week I was not eligible for an uppgrade, but a few days later I all of a sudden was elibgible...but it was too late then.

any info on non-reserve line is much appreciated

supercaliber
Jun 24, 2010, 12:22 PM
Stop waiting in line for an iphone

PorterRocks
Jun 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
Two hours since store open, and a total of 9 non-reservation people have gone in. Reservations go straight in...

I would say this is very accurate. Once the store opened, the reserve line went very quickly. I got mine in less than an hour. Unfortunately, the non-reserves were hardly moving at all. I saw quite a few angry people.

CarloVonSexron
Jun 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
I got to the front of the line...then they sent in six nonreserved people in front of me. I finally got in around 10:20.

dialed1
Jun 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
How is the line now?

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
When I drove by around 11:00am, the lines were still 100-200 deep (both walk-in and reserved). No way am I waiting in this heat. Hopefully someone can update later tonight.

fossen
Jun 24, 2010, 05:00 PM
Finally have ny iPhone, but as a walk-in ... that was pretty brutal. I was there at 11 PM last night, then was in line as the store opened at 7 AM. I got in at 3:15 PM.

This is compared to the reservations who were waiting in the neighborhood of 1-2 hours.

I understand the reservations made sure you had a phone waiting for you, I just don't think it should have been complete preferential treatment. There were literally full hours where the walk in line would not move an inch.

Besides that, though it was an enjoyable experience. The staff went out of their way with water, donuts, snowcones, and lots of updates.

wheezy
Jun 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
My brother is waiting in line in the non-reserved. Apple employees are out and about handing out water, etc cause it's so dang hot.

ANNOUNCED: Everyone in line as of 4PM will for sure get a phone, wait time is about 3 hours. They know the stock numbers and have been repeating that for the 90 minutes he's been there, so apparently they still have plenty to sell.

Non reserve wait on the west side.

SO - As of 4PM it looks like you can still get there and you'll get a phone today. They must have crazy amounts of inventory. Take an umbrella!!

squanto11
Jun 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
My brother is waiting in line in the non-reserved. Apple employees are out and about handing out water, etc cause it's so dang hot.

ANNOUNCED: Everyone in line as of 4PM will for sure get a phone, wait time is about 3 hours. They know the stock numbers and have been repeating that for the 90 minutes he's been there, so apparently they still have plenty to sell.

Non reserve wait on the west side.

SO - As of 4PM it looks like you can still get there and you'll get a phone today. They must have crazy amounts of inventory. Take an umbrella!!

That is great news. I am still debating whether or not I want to wait in the line. I am tempted to wait just wait a day or to just not deal with the line, but then I want to play with my new phone!!

fossen
Jun 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
Take an umbrella!!

Not only are they handing out water, they are handing out umbrellas! :)

And 3 hours wait for non-reserved is a lot better than 8+.

efirmage
Jun 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
Got there at about 1 AM last night and got out of the Apple store just after 4:45. Pretty long wait. Still, the Apple staff was nice and definitely trying their best.
Asked an Apple employee and he said there should be lines for the next 4 days if it's anything like previous iPhone releases.
Way to go overnighters, it was quite an experience!

robertd
Jun 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hey guys this is a little off topic but I'm currently on T-Mobile with an unlocked 3G but with the release of the new iPhone 4 I have been thinking of jumping ship for AT&T. I've asked a few people but I wanted a more broad range of subscribers, how is the AT&T network/reception here in Utah?

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hey guys this is a little off topic but I'm currently on T-Mobile with an unlocked 3G but with the release of the new iPhone 4 I have been thinking of jumping ship for AT&T. I've asked a few people but I wanted a more broad range of subscribers, how is the AT&T network/reception here in Utah?

I've had T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T. All all of them have been fine. T-mobile was spotty but that was 10 years ago. I would think AT&T has better service than T-mobile.

chris.robison
Jun 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
Still crazy lines?

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 07:36 PM
Any updates from the employees? I leave on a 2 week holiday tomorrow and would really like to take the iPhone 4 with :)

Trialnterror
Jun 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
As far as service here in Utah on AT&T = great for me , even deer hunting in the mountains I had service!

As far as people with reservation's I got up at 12 in the morning a couple weeks ago n tryed to get a reservation all day n finally at 3pm I got thru, well at 4 in the morning I arrived at the gateway and got out of there at 8:30am now is it fair? Well I felt real bad passing everyone in line that was a walk in but I put a lot of work in a couple weeks ago . Anyway I'm rolling a new iPhone 4 32gb baby

wheezy
Jun 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
So dang close! Not sure iftheyre turning any way yet though.

xboxphanatic
Jun 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
What a day yesterday! With my reservation, I was in and out by 8:00 a.m., but it wasn't until 3:00 p.m., before my wife had hers in the regular line. Upgrading from the 3G, I sure am loving the phone. I haven't noticed any of the issues with yellow splotches on the screen or 3G signal loss. I haven't had a dropped call yet, but I would also agree that in Utah AT&T seems to have pretty good service.

Here's a few more line pictures that I took after I got the 4. Just click on them to get the full size versions. The first one shows the reservation line at around 8:30.

http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-2-300x224.jpg (http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-2.jpg)

http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-3-300x224.jpg (http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-3.jpg)

http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-4-300x224.jpg (http://www.kemple.us/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/photo-4.jpg)

chris.robison
Jun 25, 2010, 11:40 AM
Congrats. Those pics look good. Can't wait to get mine....sometime.

I can't believe how long lines are and how long people are willing to wait. Amazing.

homercles
Jun 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
I was i n the reserve line and was really close to the front. I was in and out of the store before 7:15. I can't believe how long the non reservation line was! When I checked it at 6am in wrapped from that bridge to where I was sitting overnight (about half way down the grass median in the back). Long. You non reservation people are real troopers.

homercles
Jun 25, 2010, 10:17 PM

It's actually pretty good. There's a few dead spots I've found, but they seem to be confined to small areas and clear up pretty quickly. The 3G speeds are also pretty good too. With the iPhone 4 I'm getting 2.1Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. That's right, upload speeds in the range of a T1.

princealfie
Feb 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
Getting my Verizon iPhone 4 hopefully today when the check clears.

benhollberg
Apr 26, 2011, 05:25 PM
Anyone hear if the Apple Store at the Gateway will have some white iPhone 4s?

GP_1
Jun 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
Utahn right here!