PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse, NY

Auzburner
Jun 7, 2010, 03:38 PM
Made it first for iPad, who would like to show up for iPhone 4? Hey, maybe we can get a little game of frisbee going again...

That's me on iPad launch day BTW

pound4pound30
Jun 7, 2010, 06:36 PM
Made it first for iPad, who would like to show up for iPhone 4? Hey, maybe we can get a little game of frisbee going again...

I wanna be there again I was 3rd in line for the iPad. But im not the account owner and dont know if I will be able to get it without the account owner there.

SkippyThorson
Jun 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
I'm livid at myself. I had the screen up, set to preorder, and I didn't do it because I had to go to work, and said to myself "What's one day!?"... :rolleyes:

Well, I am NOT looking forward to a July iPhone. The suspense will kill me. I WILL be there, at that mall, in line, for the iPhone, as soon as possible.

When is the earliest they open the mall so I can stand in line? I assume I can't stay overnight.

Must. Get. Upgrade. Soon...

Auzburner
Jun 16, 2010, 01:42 AM
I will be there. Managed to easily get two iPhone4's pre-ordered by noon eastern time. Took four hours, but it was worth it! See everyone there!

SkippyThorson
Jun 17, 2010, 11:17 PM
Someone else mentioned a Carousel Mall meet, so hopefully they respond in here. I'll see if I can get anyone else to join too.

KindredMAC
Jun 18, 2010, 12:51 PM
I sent you a PM Skip...

As it turns out, I'm out. :(

My son's daycare is closed that day and have no one to babysit, so I ended up pre-ordering and it's shipping to my house Thursday.

Take lots of pics guys! Can someone even print out my avatar, put it on a stick and pose for a pic with it in front of the Apple Store and post it up in the forums?

I was thinking, that if I could make it to the release, of making a cheap T-shirt of my MacRumors' avatar and screen name and wearing it there....

SkippyThorson
Jun 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
Depending on how things go down with my local AT&T Store, I may just go there. It looks like their grand re-opening may be on the 24th.

A short while back, we had a crazy guy walk into our AT&T store pissed off, with a .357 Magnum, and he shot an employee. A police officer that happened to be there off duty took down the shooter after he only got off one shot. The employee is doing ok now, and asked to be out of the local spotlight.

I want to support that store and go there if I could, because there are a lot of good people there that I like. I may skip out on the pre-dawn drive to Syracuse if they have the iPhone that morning.

NumbBits150
Jun 19, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'll be at carousel as early as possible but the mall doesn't normally open until 7 am for walkers, right? Or does it open early Thursday?

Auzburner
Jun 20, 2010, 07:02 PM
Carousel is where it's at. I live right near the AT&T Store shooting. That was interesting to see on national news! Only a few more days of waiting!

SkippyThorson
Jun 20, 2010, 11:52 PM
Carousel is where it's at. I live right near the AT&T Store shooting. That was interesting to see on national news! Only a few more days of waiting!

Same here. That was a little too much. I thought about it though, and if I go all the way to Syracuse, and Apple doesn't come through for me, I'm screwed.

At least if I go with my AT&T store, if they don't have it, there's Walmart, if they don't have it, there's Best Buy, all in the same parking lot. Then if they don't have it, there's RadioShack. If I don't get it with that method, it just isn't meant to be. :p

kryten3000
Jun 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Depending on how things go down with my local AT&T Store, I may just go there. It looks like their grand re-opening may be on the 24th.

A short while back, we had a crazy guy walk into our AT&T store pissed off, with a .357 Magnum, and he shot an employee. A police officer that happened to be there off duty took down the shooter after he only got off one shot. The employee is doing ok now, and asked to be out of the local spotlight.

I want to support that store and go there if I could, because there are a lot of good people there that I like. I may skip out on the pre-dawn drive to Syracuse if they have the iPhone that morning.

Is the AT&T store on Commercial Drive really re-openeing on the 24th???
I read in the OD that they would not be reopening there, but rather be getting a new location in Consumer Square. :o

At any rate I have a reservation and just got my confirmation email from Apple, so if all goes to plan I will be there also.

I'll be at carousel as early as possible but the mall doesn't normally open until 7 am for walkers, right? Or does it open early Thursday?

Now, regarding the Carousel Mall, I spoke with the Manager of the Apple Store just a few days ago and he said that for the iPad launch the doors were opened @ 5:00AM. Also, he said that based on that he would expect the same for this Thursday. Hopefully he is correct.

NumbBits150
Jun 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
I read in the OD that they would not be reopening there, but rather be getting a new location in Consumer Square. :o

At any rate I have a reservation and just got my confirmation email from Apple, so if all goes to plan I will be there also.

Now, regarding the Carousel Mall, I spoke with the Manager of the Apple Store just a few days ago and he said that for the iPad launch the doors were opened @ 5:00AM. Also, he said that based on that he would expect the same for this Thursday. Hopefully he is correct.

Awesome, thanks!

pound4pound30
Jun 21, 2010, 10:05 PM
I stood in line for the iPad on launch day at Carousel Mall and the doors opened at 6am to stand in front of the Apple store, and then the store actually opened at 9am.

But for the iPhone 4 I opted for home delivery. Which sucks I would like to stand in line but I guess it doesnt matter and will still have my phone on launch day :)

kryten3000
Jun 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
That's cool, I'm really excited that their are people from our area her @ MR :)

SkippyThorson
Jun 22, 2010, 11:20 AM

Sorry for any confusion - no, that AT&T Store will never re-open. I used 're-opening', because many of the employees may still be there, just at a different place. As far as I know, that old building is either going to be gutted and redone for the next vendor, or completely torn down and rebuilt. They are indeed going to Consumer Square.

The issue I have with that news, however, is I can't find them! :o They have yet to put a sign up anywhere, and I don't even know where they're doing construction. Calling their old number only led me to the old store.

I stood in line for the iPad on launch day at Carousel Mall and the doors opened at 6am to stand in front of the Apple store, and then the store actually opened at 9am.

Pound is correct here, I went in yesterday, and asked what time the mall itself will actually open its doors to let customers stand in line. He said 6:00am, and that the Apple store itself opens at 7:00am. I would call, and just confirm the times.

Auzburner
Jun 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, iPad launch at Carousel allowed customers in the mall at 6am, they then opened the store at 9am. That was a long wait. Just an hour this time should be nice. I will be racing for first again! ;-D

kryten3000
Jun 22, 2010, 02:26 PM
Pound is correct here, I went in yesterday, and asked what time the mall itself will actually open its doors to let customers stand in line. He said 6:00am, and that the Apple store itself opens at 7:00am. I would call, and just confirm the times.

I stand corrected. :D

SkippyThorson
Jun 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
It better be 6:00am now, knowing that AT&T won't have walk-in sales until the 29th!

I wonder how my local store is feeling right now, knowing they purposely wanted to open for the 24th... :( Everything is so up in the air for them this week.

Looks like my plans changed. My original statement stands again. I'll be waiting for the doors to open at 6 in Syracuse! :) Apparently there's a very limited stock for anyone other than Apple. Walmart in Utica has 2, New Hartford didn't get any yet, Best Buy didn't answer their phone (typical), and Radio Shack said it's doubtful they'll get any, and that they have none yet as well.

NumbBits150
Jun 22, 2010, 04:21 PM
how bad are the waits at carousel first thing? i haven't been to a launch since i got the iphone 3g. I showed up at the AT&T in New Hartford, they sold out before I could get inside, so then I drove to Carousel and got there around 10am and only had to wait in line for about an hour or so. I am going to be there before they open for the iphone 4 but was just curious how bad the lines are now...

wildcat90
Jun 23, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'd love to be there, but I'd rather wait for the white iPhone 4 than get the black and be unhappy. Although I may just end up getting black anyways... Looks slick :cool:

Have fun guys, I didn't put in a pre-order and do not have the patience to stand in line and possibly not get one :(

coledog
Jun 23, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm from Old Forge and I stopped by Best Buy on Monday and asked about the reservation list and the phone guys told me that the list was long, the amount of iPhones was small and that i was basically SOL for Best Buy.

Walmart will be a failure most likely, Radio Shack wanted $50 to reserve an iPhone "when" corporate allowed iPhone preorders again (June 15th info).

I'm going to try and meet up a guy from Craigslist at the Apple store tomorrow. Does anyone here have a 16gb preordered? The one I'll probably get is a 32gb and I'd rather have the 16gb...Pay the difference and it's yours!

mobilepeck
Jun 23, 2010, 08:13 AM
Well I'll be at carousel not sure what time yet I figure since no AT&T walk INS people will be lineing up early. I need two but only got one reserved if i go in reserved line will they allow me to get the 2nd? I'm guessing I'll have to go in the walkin line and grab my reserved and the other. Gonna be a long day tomorrow uggh

coledog
Jun 23, 2010, 08:14 AM
Are you looking to get 16's or 32's?

mobilepeck
Jun 23, 2010, 08:27 AM
I'm just looking to get the 16's but if they sold out and only have 32 I'm not leaving empty handed lol

mobilepeck
Jun 23, 2010, 08:35 AM
Where u coming from man? No apple stores near ya ? That blows.

SkippyThorson
Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
For central New York, the two closest Apple stores are Syracuse and Albany. I'm in Utica, so the drives are either an hour or an hour and a half, respectively. The New Hartford Best Buy doesn't have the store-within-a-store either, so Apple goodness is a ways out. :p

Auzburner
Jun 23, 2010, 11:22 AM
With the iPad I was at Carousel all night, like from actually the previous evening... They kicked me out a couple of times, but it worked out in the end. People line up in front of the Carousel doors. I plan to arrive sometime in the early hours of the morning.(4am?) I will have a light-up frisbee for some entertainment. Looking forward to this, but I'm expecting more people to be there than the iPad, but who knows. The pre-order line alone (the lines were separate between pre-orders and walk-ins) went from the Apple Store all the way down to Best Buy by the time they opened at 9am. For those unfamiliar with that distance, the Apple Store is basically at the center of the Carousel Mall, Best Buy is at the end of the mall. This was an extremely long line.

catbert
Jun 23, 2010, 11:37 AM
So you're saying that until mall opened, the line started in front of the glassed-in area where the actual carousel is located?

NumbBits150
Jun 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
Wow, sounds like it's gotten a lot more hectic over the past couple years. I plan on leaving around 3:30/4ish in the morning. (Coming from Clinton). I have one already reserved but want to miss as little work as possible.

jdmdc2nr
Jun 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
hey guys. do you goto the main/movie entrance? I'm trying to figure out where and when I should get there. seems like you guys are showin up at the mall about 4ish tomorrow?

SkippyThorson
Jun 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
hey guys. do you goto the main/movie entrance? I'm trying to figure out where and when I should get there. seems like you guys are showin up at the mall about 4ish tomorrow?

Same question. I usually go in the JC Penny's / Macy's entrance. Where do the doors first open? I'm sure I can locate the mob of geeks (no offense, I'm one), but where would that mob be? That's a good size mall. :p

Auzburner
Jun 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
The mall security locked the doors because of the iPad launch in front of the carousel to keep people from entering until 6am and they should be doing the same. People going to Carousel: For iPad they had everyone "camp" in front of the curved door glass entrance beneath the carousel itself.

Be prepared for a big storm around mid-night and following that. Damaging winds are likely and they are saying be prepared for power outages. Just on time for launch day. Oh, goody. See everyone in a bit.

SkippyThorson
Jun 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
The mall security locked the doors because of the iPad launch in front of the carousel to keep people from entering until 6am and they should be doing the same. People going to Carousel: For iPad they had everyone "camp" in front of the curved door glass entrance beneath the carousel itself.

Be prepared for a big storm around mid-night and following that. Damaging winds are likely and they are saying be prepared for power outages. Just on time for launch day. Oh, goody. See everyone in a bit.

I'm not gonna be camping out overnight - thank God. However, I'll hopefully be there if all goes according to plan, right before 6.

Stay safe, all those who do choose to camp out.

markyr17
Jun 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'll be there... around 6. Hope I can get my hands on one :-)

SkippyThorson
Jun 24, 2010, 05:02 AM
Alright. One hour until launch. Who braved the odds and is checking this thread? :) Where is everyone in line?

NumbBits150
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 AM
Alright. One hour until launch. Who braved the odds and is checking this thread? :) Where is everyone in line?

Third in the preorder line! (technically 2nd but the guy behind me wanted to sit down so he went to the front of the line

coledog
Jun 24, 2010, 06:39 AM
So, how long are the lines? I'll be down around 10am to be in the preorder line...If I get in the back of the preorder line will be be at the register by 12pm?

SkippyThorson
Jun 24, 2010, 07:06 AM
I'm back in the wait to buy line. Near the little tarp covered stand.

I love this! It's my first launch event, and I didn't realize how many cool people there are. A lot of nice Apple loving conversation going on.

dthmtlgod
Jun 24, 2010, 08:36 AM

I love this! It's my first launch event, and I didn't realize how many cool people there are. A lot of nice Apple loving conversation going on.

How long is the pre-order line?

jag00
Jun 24, 2010, 08:55 AM
How long is the walk-in line? Do they seem to have a lot of non pre-ordered phones available?

Thanks!

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 08:57 AM
How long is the walk-in line? Do they seem to have a lot of non pre-ordered phones available?

Thanks!

that is what I am curious about. I be maybe willing to wait but like to have an idea on the time and if you can even get a phone. What are the apple store people saying or telling the walk-ins?

coledog
Jun 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
I'm here! Waiting in the reservation line near the end. Anyone else around?

NumbBits150
Jun 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
before the store opened the att rep came up to talk to us and said "basically, if you didn't preorder it you're not going to get an iphone. not everyone is going to get one in that (the walk-in) line" and there was a long line so I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out already. The preorder line was just as long. I'm not sure exactly how many people there were, but the walk-in line went from the front of the store, back past the sprint kiosk, back around by build-a-bear and all then down a few stores

SkippyThorson
Jun 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
When I got in at 6:00am, I was shocked to see the line - definitely didn't expect that. I was in front of Yankee Candle. The line moved slow, and we were the section that missed out on pastries. :( :p We got chips, coffee, and two rounds of water though.

We got checked on twice by the guys making sure there were plenty of iPhones available in whatever one we wanted. I chose the 16gb, and was one of the last few to get the ok before he told others they were in the grey area.

However, finally, at 2:30ish, the group of us guys that chatted all through the event got in, because the preorder line had just finished. We all got in within 5 minutes of each other.

I think I would do this again. It was pretty fun, and I made some really cool friends. :)

coledog
Jun 24, 2010, 04:40 PM
I met a guy from Craigslist that preordered one and reserved another from Apple. He sold me his reservation for $100 and I only spent about an hour in the reservation line. I was in Carousel and out of the Apple Store in an hour and 15 minutes and even got interviewed!

coledog
Jun 25, 2010, 06:05 AM
Haha, I made the news even...
http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/509088/iphone-4-meets-upstate-fanfare/

(I'm Colden aka the guy in the gray tee)