Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
I bought my Macbook about a week ago, and I am loving it!

I replaced a Hp Compaq Presario A900..it was a 17inch screen, and pretty heavy. It took a while to boot up and get itself situated before I could start using it. It randomly turned off by itself, and then I would have to restart it and wait for sometimes over 45 min just for it to log in. The plug in for the charger never stayed charging..it was always loose. I hated this thing with a burning passion. My brother and I bought them on sale(same store I bought my Macbook haha) and we didn't realize what we were getting ourselves into.

The main reason why I decided so quickly to buy the Mac was because I had been looking at it since I bought my Hp, and, it was on sale($200 cheaper!). Opening the brown box, and revealing the white box was amazing. The box itself is pretty awesome. I love how it turns on and off so quickly! It took me a while to get used to everything, like where files went, etc. It actually took me 3 days to transfer all of my music from my pc to mac. I had 5,000 songs, and I put them on a flashdrive and went back and forth from pc to mac.(Maybe not the fastest way, but hey, as long as it got all of my music, I'm good :])

I ordered a shell and keyboard cover, and didn't realize until I had payed for it, that it was going to ship from Hong-Kong. I'm still waiting on it to get here. :[.

The only thing I miss from the pc was the SD slot. But I've learned to deal with it.

Only thing I'm still trying to get used to is imovie. I'm not liking how the slides transition, and how it zooms into the picture then goes to the next. I like how on the pc movie maker, you could have one effect for the whole set of slides.
So if you know how to fix this or just know anything about this, please help! It would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I looove the magnetic charger. Best idea ever.

Best purchase I've made yet :apple: :]
-If you know anything about my problem with imovie, please help!-
(Sorry this was so long, lol.)

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
You sound exactly like me.. except i haven't boughten mine yet! :(
i'm getting it at the end of july, and i am SOOO excited. the computer i am on right now is just like your old PC. I couldn't even put my music on it cause it was so slow! well.. is so slow. I'm missing like 5 keys, and the little bubble thing under them. so i use a toothpick to type those numbers (luckily there all numbers) and unless i need the exclamation point, i just type out the number like ONE instead of 1.. the keys are so close together, i make a ton of typos, so i have to go back and fix them or else i look pretty stupid.. haha. But yeah.. any regrets with not going pro? like macbook pro, lol.. i was thinking of it but i don't have the extra money.. i'm only 15, which my parents say is to young for a mac anyway, but i want it SO bad, and i'm going to need to bring a computer to school anyway, cause my new school requires it, which i can't with my current laptop cause it takes forever to start up, freezes, crashes, ect.. i understand the no* SD card thing.. the computer i am on now doesn't have one either.. but i bought a external sd card reader that you plug into the usb slot, and it has a slot on it for your sd, so its a little more complicated, but i can do that with my mac too i think. anyway.. anything wrong with it? sorry this is so long hahah

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just switched over to mac too recently. Best decision made and I have no regrets. Though it did take me awhile to get used to how things work, it's a lot simpler than windows. i.e. how to delete a program.

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
I'm 15 too. The only reason my parents let me get it was because I paid for it out of my savings account.
And no, I don't regret not getting the pro. I love my Mac, and I'm glad I finally got what I've been wanting for a while. The only thing with both versions of the laptop is the keyboard. If you spilled a drink, soup, anything liquid on the keyboard, you would have a very dead laptop. So that's why I got the keyboard cover.
It sounds like you need a new laptop like, asap. Lol and I thought my laptop was bad. How did you lose the keys? Nothing like that happened to mine because I'm OCD about scratches and little pieces of lint, etc. getting on my laptop.

You'll be really happy when you get a Macbook. I was and still am :]

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm paying for it myself, my parents are okay with it, just their not going to pay for it, cause they think its expensive. and their probably just jealous cause the other computers in our house are just as slow.. we haven't really boughten any new computers/tv's in a while cause they didn't see a reason too, but the freezing/crashing/slow start up is very annoying.
and i bought it used and for some reason all the number keys were really loose to start with. and all my passwords had those numbers and i like bang on the keyboard to type, its really annoying hearing me when its quiet, haha. and so they just got looser and looser till they fell out.. and idk what happened to the little bubble thing underneath them.. that wasn't there, but its on other laptops. more reason to get a new one. :]

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
Oh haha see, I would never buy anything electronic used unless I knew the person I was buying it from had taken really good care of it.

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I should have done that /=
but i really wanted a laptop then! it looked okay, i bought it from my friend's dad who works at a private school, they were used by their old computer students.. i feel bad for those students, they must've though computers sucked, haha.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I switched over at Christmas 2009. I wanted my own computer and once I'd found out about Macs there was no stopping me :D I saved up for ages as they're quite expensive, but I'm never going back to Windows now. I hate Windows.

How did you lose the keys? Nothing like that happened to mine because I'm OCD about scratches and little pieces of lint, etc. getting on my laptop.

You'll be really happy when you get a Macbook. I was and still am :]

Same! I think I clean my computer at least twice a week :D

About that iMovie effect - it's called the Ken Burns effect and you can change it so it doesn't happen. Personally I think it looks great but you can remove it.

What you do is you click on the little blue cog symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the photo in the iMovie project. Then you select 'Cropping, Ken Burns and Rotation'. Then, in the preview window on the right make sure the 'Ken Burns' button is clicked and then drag the starting/finishing boxes over each other, so that the picture won't move across the screen when you play the movie.

Hope you understand! If you have any more questions fire away :) I love iMovie - it's tons better than Movie Maker and you can get some great professional-looking results with it.

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
Oh man, I'll never ever go back to Windows.

And I'm worse, trust me. I clean mine every time I use it.

And thanks! I'll try that tonight. :]

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
So I did what you said, and it still is zooming in and out of the pictures. I want it just to be a solid, still picture for each slide. Did I do something wrong?

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I'm not sure, but make sure that the two boxes are over each other exactly, and remember to press done.

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I have a few questions again
1) i read through this again and saw you got it 200$ cheaper!! where? and does it still work like new, or is it actually brand new and a website discounted it? {:
2) How much RAM do you have on it?
3) and you know the iChat thing? well i was at the store and i opened that and it said .mac or something.. does that mean you can only chat with other mac users? :/ none of my friends have a mac so this wouldn't be good.. i should probably ask the apple live chat people this, haha.

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
1.) I got it at a electronic store in my area..they only had 200 in stock. And in one day, they went down to 100, so I jumped on it when there were 23 left. I was mean to lol i was like I want my mac RIGHT NOW. Its brand spankin new. But it's not the very very new white macbook. It's last yr's. Still amazing :)

2.) Hahahahahahaha. Absolutely no idea.
3.) nah. theres an option for other sign ons like aim.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
3) and you know the iChat thing? well i was at the store and i opened that and it said .mac or something.. does that mean you can only chat with other mac users? :/ none of my friends have a mac so this wouldn't be good.. i should probably ask the apple live chat people this, haha.

You can also use Skype - that's a great application. It's free and you can just get your friends to download it too, and it should work fine - you can do video calls (free when it's computer - computer) as well as phone calls (computer - phone you have to pay for). Check out http://www.skype.com :)

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Yes! I am getting my macbook on Saturday! I was supposed to at the end of july but last night my pc laptop.. which was already the oldest, slowest thing ever, got a virus on it :( i was on cnn.com and this thing came up and said it was detecting viruses, it started downloading something and i couldn't stop it! it was fast haha.. my computer started panicking and now it won't turn on. My parents felt kinda bad and decided to lend me 200$ so I could buy my Macbook sooner. I am very excited :) i'm on my desktop computer right now which is also pretty slow but it has a lot of expensive antivirus stuff on it so i don't think it will be attacked any time soon.
and about the openoffice thing- that's what I had on the broken laptop.. i didn't like it much.. i think i will save up again and buy iWork when school starts.. i liked iWork a lot better than microsoft office.. i don't understand why ms office was so much more expensive :/
but anyway.. i can't wait to get my macbook!! :D

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
i don't understand why ms office was so much more expensive :/

Because it's terrible :D No, really. I don't understand either. I don't even think it's because MS Office has more features. iWork seems to be as good - Keynote is supposed to be the best program on there, although I am currently using Office because it was bundled with my MacBook, otherwise I would have iWork.

2.) Hahahahahahaha. Absolutely no idea.

Sorry to the moderators/admins for multiple posts, but you can check stuff like that by going to the Apple logo in the top left hand corner and then to 'About this Mac'.

JessTheMess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Georgia
You should def. get iwork...it's really nice and not that hard to get used to from switching from a pc to mac.
coffeeinthebin- i bet you'll be super glad to get rid of that thing! :) Hope ya enjoy it

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Thank you :) I love it, its so much easier than windows. My dad got a new compaq computer last night, and while it's 4gb of ram and mine is 2gb i hardly notice a difference between the speeds of his and mine. another big difference was after turning mine on for the first time i was done in like 15 minutes, and I could start right away. He was working with his for an hour. also the time it took to program it was less than it would take my old computer to start up and get ready to be used. i took your advice and bought iWork.. the only thing i miss is there's no fill effects like in powerpoint. but it definitely looks more professional this way. i don't think i'll ever go back to pc's! although i heard windows 7 is pretty nice.

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Just to clarify for all the anti-Windows commenters here - it's rarely Windows that is what buggers up as it is the PC running Windows. I'm running XP on a small partition on my Macbook via Bootcamp and it runs much much more smoothly than on my old HP laptop. I use it to play high-end video games from time to time like Bioshock, Fear, Call of Duty, etc. and they all run beautifully. So Windows itself isn't bad, just the hardware underneath the hood.

And to suggest some more applications for new Mac users:
QuickSilver - Quickly open applications, almost indispensable.
HandBrake - Video converter for iPhone/iPod touch devices, DVD ripper
UnRarX - RAR extractor, essential if you're downloading pretty much anything
StuffIt Expander - The original Mac ZIP extraction tool, useful for extracting weird archives and the occasional StuffIt archive.
MoJo - Share and download music from iTunes libraries on a local network.
Growl - Heads up notifier of various system events.

Those are just some of the apps that I almost always make sure I install when I'm setting up somebody's Mac or reinstalling OS X on one of my Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.