PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Roads, VA Meetups

PennStateMatt
Jun 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone here? AT&T's or Apple store in Norfolk?

Carefulle
Jun 8, 2010, 07:05 AM
I will be there; I sold my 3gs just in time. I can only tolerate this VCR size standby phone so long.

mra1989
Jun 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
Probably not going to do McCarthur's apple store. I'm sure I'll be at the AT&T on nimmo parkway in Virginia Beach first thing Friday morning

Florican
Jun 18, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'm going to at the AT&T store on Virginia beach blv at 4 in the morning on Thursday.

hjdttt
Jun 18, 2010, 08:27 PM
I am leaning toward Macarthur Mall. Any advantage to AT&T? Surely not the party atmosphere.

mauree
Jun 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'll be at Mac Arthur at 7am with my reservation. Was anyone there for previous releases?

Rkh1599
Jun 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'll be at macaurther center @ 7am with reservation. I can hardly wait :cool:

Jill1228
Jun 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'll be at macaurther center @ 7am with reservation. I can hardly wait :cool:
y'all are making me homesick! I grew up in VB (PA high grad) :)
McArthur center is gorgeous
(I live in Cali now)

Rkh1599
Jun 20, 2010, 08:31 PM
y'all are making me homesick! I grew up in VB (PA high grad) :)
McArthur center is gorgeous
(I live in Cali now)

Now your making me homesick. I'm orig from
Cali. The San Diego area

scpineda
Jun 21, 2010, 10:16 AM
If anyone has ever gone to MacArthur Center on either of the previous launch days, then please share your experience with us.

Particulary, I would like to know about what has MacArthur Center done in the past about people trying to line up early.

Thanks.

Rkh1599
Jun 22, 2010, 08:31 AM
If anyone has ever gone to MacArthur Center on either of the previous launch days, then please share your experience with us.

Particulary, I would like to know about what has MacArthur Center done in the past about people trying to line up early.

Thanks.

I went to the launch of the original iPhone. They know that the apple store is going to open early so they will open the door to the mall early as well. Hope this helps.

TheSlimOne
Jun 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
I went to the launch of the original iPhone. They know that the apple store is going to open early so they will open the door to the mall early as well. Hope this helps.

What about the parking garage? Which door do you figure you will be at?

jpmihalk
Jun 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
MacArthur will open early and have security for the lines that will form. The Apple store is generally far better organized than any AT&T store is for these launches. (I have been to the original iPhone launch in Hawaii at an AT&T store there and the 3G and 3Gs launches at MacArthur.)

It may be a moot point as AT&T has announced there will be no walk-in sales of iPhone 4 until June 29. Unless you have one reserved at an AT&T store, there will be no need to wait in line for one.

I have parked in the garage on level 2, right around the corner from the Apple Store. The line forms outside the Apple Store and towards the elevators and around the corner. Apple employees will set up the route and walk back and forth with water to hand out and they will also verify eligibility, etc. while you are waiting. Good stuff.

TheSlimOne
Jun 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
MacArthur will open early and have security for the lines that will form. The Apple store is generally far better organized than any AT&T store is for these launches. (I have been to the original iPhone launch in Hawaii at an AT&T store there and the 3G and 3Gs launches at MacArthur.)

It may be a moot point as AT&T has announced there will be no walk-in sales of iPhone 4 until June 29. Unless you have one reserved at an AT&T store, there will be no need to wait in line for one.

I have parked in the garage on level 2, right around the corner from the Apple Store. The line forms outside the Apple Store and towards the elevators and around the corner. Apple employees will set up the route and walk back and forth with water to hand out and they will also verify eligibility, etc. while you are waiting. Good stuff.

Cool. My phone is out for delivery right now. I am going to try and grab my wifes phone as a walk-in. I am the primary on the account so it shouldn't be an issue. At least thats what I read.

hjdttt
Jun 24, 2010, 04:34 AM
Line growing fast

hjdttt
Jun 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
Meant mad dash at the end. Can't tell how many but surely at least a couple hundred.

TheSlimOne
Jun 24, 2010, 05:32 AM
I am about 60 people back. That line is ridiculous now.

hjdttt
Jun 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
And am about No. 12 in line. Sukx!!!

scpineda
Jun 24, 2010, 09:24 PM
Alright guys. Please share your experiences with us. Approximately how many people in the "Walk-In" line actually walked away with an iPhone 4? I had class at TCC Norfolk tonight and walked through the mall around 9:30pm. Security was still posted at the Apple store, but there obviously was no line. The line barriers were still scattered throughout the area surrounding the Apple store. What time did they tell people they had to go?

There's a short video posted on PilotOnline.com (http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/video-hundreds-line-buy-iphones-norfolk-mall).

I love the guy in the video who says, "I just wanna get it 'cause I want it to say four on the back instead of three."

flipto
Jun 24, 2010, 09:35 PM
Anyone know if they have more in stock? We're planning to go tomorrow morning

hjdttt
Jun 24, 2010, 11:40 PM
I can tell you they ran out of 16G about 2:45 or 3 p.m., right about the time I got my 32G after a 9-1/2-hour wait.

Tomorrow is another day. Maybe they will get some in, maybe not.

hjdttt
Jun 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
For future reference, they started with bagels and water. They made several rounds with those.

Then they moved on to nice biscotti-type cookies. Then the Harry & David chocolate.

Finally brought out pizza.

I saw some other food as I was leaving, toward the back of the line (like eggrolls?), but was not sure it was from Apple.

hjdttt
Jun 26, 2010, 10:50 AM
NEVER go to Macarthur Center for an iPhone first-day release unless you have a reservation.

There were two entrances to the mall where people were lining up, and I think the vast majority of people had no idea about the other entrance. When the doors opened, it started somewhat orderly, but when the two lines saw each other, there was anarchy.

Second issue: For the first six or seven hours inside the mall, Apple employees kept a ratio of FIFTY reservations to ONE walk-in. Most other places I am reading about saw a ratio of 10-1 or 8-1, or maybe as much as 30-1.

Eventually at Macarthur they switched to 10-1, and by the time I reached the front it was 5-1.

I got my phone after nine hours. As I left, some people were asking me about it, and I mentioned I had been there for nine hours. One replied that she had been there for 10; another said he had arrived at the mall 14-1/2 hours ago!!! And these folks were maybe 40 people back. Turns out they had been waiting at the OTHER entrance.

Bottom line, unless they change their ways, might be worth a drive to Short Pump or Northern Virginia if you can't score a reservation.