PDA

View Full Version : Valley Fair Mall, Santa Clara CA | With STEVE WOZNIAK!

bat95132
Jun 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
Anyone planning on going to Vally Fair Mall and wait with Steve?

Ramphex
Jun 8, 2010, 12:18 AM
who the hell is steve and is he related to holly wozniak?

tnisatard
Jun 8, 2010, 03:45 AM
i made this event! haha

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=133249820020677&ref=ts

see you all there 8)

sonictonic
Jun 8, 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm only an hour or so away and would love to meet Wozniak and some forum members there! I'll wait to see if more people reply here though, since it's a little bit of a drive...

tnisatard
Jun 9, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm only an hour or so away and would love to meet Wozniak and some forum members there! I'll wait to see if more people reply here though, since it's a little bit of a drive...

this! hopefully more people in the thread

Sirobin
Jun 16, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hmm, I’m getting mine shipped to my house, but I would love a chance to meet the Woz...

jhuang
Jun 18, 2010, 01:33 AM
Camping seems like fun.. if they don't shoot down the possibility of white being available at launch, I'll be in for at least a couple of hours! And I'm hoping Woz will be there just to put the cherry on top.

Zanneth
Jun 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'll be there! Unfortunately, since it's on a damn Thursday, I'll show up early morning around 4 or 5. What time does Woz show up usually?

KingKuei
Jun 19, 2010, 03:35 AM
I usually reserve my iPhones at the Stoneridge Mall store so this will be a first for me at Valley Fair. I know where the store is located, but not sure which entrance is the best one to wait at since I assume the doors won't be open yet at 4/5am. Any ideas?

stagi
Jun 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'll be there, but still not sure about the time. When is everyone planning on arriving?

KingKuei
Jun 19, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'll be there, but still not sure about the time. When is everyone planning on arriving?

I was thinking about 5am. Is that a crazy time???

Either that or whenever the nearest starbucks opens. At that hour, without my coffee, I wouldn't be too happy. :-)

David-fr
Jun 20, 2010, 01:24 AM
am getting there the 23rd 8-10pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/19/steve-wozniak-gets-first-iphone-3g-s-at-valley-fair-in-san-jose/

the guy in blue with jeans is me :)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/19/133356-1_300.jpg

KingKuei
Jun 20, 2010, 03:47 AM

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/19/steve-wozniak-gets-first-iphone-3g-s-at-valley-fair-in-san-jose/

At which entrance do you wait???

David-fr
Jun 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
At which entrance do you wait???

we wait inside, by the electric latters, then as the time to open the store approches they bring us in front of the store

D3lta
Jun 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
Not sure if I'll go to the Valley Fair or Los Gatos store. Leaning towards the Los Gatos store since my reservation didn't go through and usually less people go there, but we'll see.:o

KingKuei
Jun 20, 2010, 03:32 PM
we wait inside, by the electric latters, then as the time to open the store approches they bring us in front of the store

I was under the impression that the mall doors would be locked in the early morning. In the past, Apple has had special early morning openings at around 7am and I assume that will be the case again this year. Otherwise, the actual mall opening time is 10am.

Anyway, if the mall doors are open, I know which escalators you're talking about, but if not, is there a specific mall door entrance at which to wait in the early morning 4/5am until they let us IN to the mall???

jimi78
Jun 20, 2010, 03:54 PM
anyone know what time it starts to get crowded there? I just moved to the bay area so I am unfamiliar w/ the area. thanks in advance.

David-fr
Jun 20, 2010, 04:19 PM
I was under the impression that the mall doors would be locked in the early morning. In the past, Apple has had special early morning openings at around 7am and I assume that will be the case again this year. Otherwise, the actual mall opening time is 10am.

Anyway, if the mall doors are open, I know which escalators you're talking about, but if not, is there a specific mall door entrance at which to wait in the early morning 4/5am until they let us IN to the mall???

In the latters next to the apple store. They leave 2 entrances open, one street level, is like an employee entrance. The other one 2 floor by the parking lot. They do open early, i forgot if it was like around 6 or 7. So doors open in the morning and all night. Last year the got us StarBucks coffee.

anyone know what time it starts to get crowded there? I just moved to the bay area so I am unfamiliar w/ the area. thanks in advance.

The really big crow gets there around 4-5am...

Any more questions?

jhuang
Jun 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
If you look at the pdf store directory (http://westfield.com/valleyfair/stores/) then the closest entrances seem to be next to the dog boutique and next to Tiffany (though the latter for some reason is not marked, but I went through it the other day).

I just called however and the guy at the Apple store said he doesn't know how they'll be handling launch day but "malls NEVER lock." :confused: Somebody in another thread said that VF lets you stay inside overnight but you have to get there before the mall closes, and then they let you back in at 5.

VF Security also says that there will probably be an outside line/partitions near the dog boutique entrance, so I guess that's our best bet.

David-fr
Jun 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
If you look at the pdf store directory (http://westfield.com/valleyfair/stores/) then the closest entrances seem to be next to the dog boutique and next to Tiffany (though the latter for some reason is not marked, but I went through it the other day).

I just called however and the guy at the Apple store said he doesn't know how they'll be handling launch day but "malls NEVER lock." :confused: Somebody in another thread said that VF lets you stay inside overnight but you have to get there before the mall closes, and then they let you back in at 5.

VF Security also says that there will probably be an outside line/partitions near the dog boutique entrance, so I guess that's our best bet.

They let u in n out. but to be sure get there before the mall closes, and am sure they will let stay the night in..how ever u are scaring me, let me call apple store to. Ill reply back with info later :)

Weird just got off the phone with them (apple store) and they dont know nothing...mmm tho many people will go that night...i'll stay

jhuang
Jun 20, 2010, 05:48 PM
They let u in n out. but to be sure get there before the mall closes, and am sure they will let stay the night in..how ever u are scaring me, let me call apple store to. Ill reply back with info later :)

Weird just got off the phone with them (apple store) and they dont know nothing...mmm tho many people will go that night...i'll stay

I'll most likely see you there then! I'm just hoping the bathrooms will be open... :p guess I will have to get there before 9:30.

David-fr
Jun 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'll most likely see you there then! I'm just hoping the bathrooms will be open... :p guess I will have to get there before 9:30.

Oh yes there open, :) Am David See you there!

stagi
Jun 21, 2010, 12:07 AM

What time did you get there last year, looks like you were pretty close to the front!

David-fr
Jun 21, 2010, 12:23 AM
What time did you get there last year, looks like you were pretty close to the front!

i got there @ 9, i was 4th :)

jrjrdinh
Jun 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
I don't have an iPhone reservation.

If I come at 9pm on Wednesday and camp out, will I be able to get one of their phones in stock?

Also what time will Apple store open? What time do you think we'll be out with the phone if we're one of the first few peoples there.

Also could we really camp out in front of the apple store the day before as long as we make it before the mall closes? Thanks.

David-fr
Jun 22, 2010, 07:45 PM
I don't have an iPhone reservation.

If I come at 9pm on Wednesday and camp out, will I be able to get one of their phones in stock?

Also what time will Apple store open? What time do you think we'll be out with the phone if we're one of the first few peoples there.

Also could we really camp out in front of the apple store the day before as long as we make it before the mall closes? Thanks.

I wanna think you should be able to get one that day, i dont think they have all reserves. But nobody really knows. ( i dont have one reserve) I will be there @ 9pm too

Yep, not in front but like next to it, on the side by the electric latters.

They open officially @7, last year tho they open @ 6am :) to get all smooth out...

dreamteam
Jun 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
Can anyone please post line info at Valley Fair? Is there a line and how many people so far? Also, where is the line? Outside or inside?

jhuang
Jun 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Okay, finally got thru on the phone after waiting for like 45 min haha. Spoke to really nice employee Troy, told me there would be no white iPhones in stock. There will be two lines (reserve and non-reserve). Reserve will be free to pick up their phone anytime from 7 am to midnight. Will be doing reserve to non-reserve in a 10 to 1 ratio, 10 reserves for every 1 non-reserve (previous call told me 2000 reserves so I'm guessing about 200 non-reserve phones?). Will let you stay in line all night inside the mall outside the Apple store and the mall will be open all night. They won't get their shipment until tomorrow morning.

Hope that helps! I won't be camping anymore (waiting for white) but good luck to all of you. Let me know how it goes!

Also, if they happen to change their mind at some point during the night and tell you they have white, let me know so I can get my ass down to the store. hahah :)

stagi
Jun 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
Anyone in line yet? David you there?

MacAztec
Jun 24, 2010, 01:01 AM
If anyone's in line here, please post an update! For both the reserved, and non reserved folks.

Thanks

The Goblin

David-fr
Jun 24, 2010, 02:24 AM
Anyone in line yet? David you there?

Yes am here im wearing a brown shirt... By the Apple logo come and say hi..ull recogmize the mexican guys ;)

Shasha04
Jun 24, 2010, 03:55 AM
Yes am here im wearing a brown shirt... By the Apple logo come and say hi..ull recogmize the mexican guys ;)

So you're on the inside? How many people in there? I'm about 30-50 people out on the outside.

David-fr
Jun 24, 2010, 04:41 AM
So you're on the inside? How many people in there? I'm about 30-50 people out on the outside.

Oficially 200 inside (security said)

Shasha04
Jun 24, 2010, 05:00 AM
Oficially 200 inside (security said)

Yeah security would know. They are probably required to only let a certain number of people so I bet they counted. 200 sounds about right from how many I remember in there from 3G launch too.

Cool, I'm probably gonna get one today then, but I'm expecting to wait until 9am at least.

David-fr
Jun 24, 2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah security would know. They are probably required to only let a certain number of people so I bet they counted. 200 sounds about right from how many I remember in there from 3G launch too.

Cool, I'm probably gonna get one today then, but I'm expecting to wait until 9am at least.

Actually i talked again with them and they say there aré around 120 inside with the Ppl outside 300 by Now (3:21am)

i am impressed last year by this time there where around 150 inside only
good luck ;)

Shasha04
Jun 24, 2010, 05:49 AM
Actually i talked again with them and they say there aré around 120 inside with the Ppl outside 300 by Now (3:21am)

i am impressed last year by this time there where around 150 inside only
good luck ;)

Strange, doesn't look like 180 people out here. Maybe 100 but with the way everyone keeps cruising around I could be wrong. People out here are finally settling down and getting sleepy so maybe I will take a walk and count them in an hour or so b

David-fr
Jun 24, 2010, 05:57 AM
Strange, doesn't look like 180 people out here. Maybe 100 but with the way everyone keeps cruising around I could be wrong. People out here are finally settling down and getting sleepy so maybe I will take a walk and count them in an hour or so b

U by ur self?

I hipe they hand out tickets issiung a phone...

I talked to an employee before store cloae and he said they dos not had extras he said "no only for pre-orders" and i said"what abt the people out alot dont habe preorder?" too bad for them"

i send mire people to ask and they said they ha in stock for us..they guy i talked to duchhback!!!

stagi
Jun 24, 2010, 07:28 AM
Is everyone in the reserved line?

stagi
Jun 24, 2010, 08:30 AM
This line is crazy goes out the door almost to the end of the mall already

jimi78
Jun 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
I would think more people would have reserved theres this year since they created the app just to do that. GL to all of you. I was thinking of going down early this morning, but I think I will go to the gym first. Can't wait to play w/ my new toy!

Anyone know if Woz is going to be around there today?

Shasha04
Jun 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
I was wrong earlier. There were totally 180 people in line. I just hadn't walked far enough out to see the end of it.

A guy told us there were enough phones to get to my place in line, which is about 60 out on the walk-in line. The reserved line is super long, waaaaay longer than the walk-in. Line not moving yet as of 7:22am but they got us all bunched up at the door about an hour ago.

I had company but they weren't getting an iPhone so they went to take a nap in the car. I got a spot up for grabs if someone wants to get here before my line neighbors forget I had a second person with me. Buy my new iPhone case and we'll call it even.

Shasha04
Jun 24, 2010, 09:27 AM
Oh and Woz is here with his Segway. It's all over the web since 3am.

And to clarify my spot is 60 out from the door to get inside, in the walk-in line. I got a double camping chair with me so it's obvious I have/had a 2nd person.

dreamteam
Jun 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
Can anyone report the reserved to walk in ratio they're letting in over there?

nadador
Jun 24, 2010, 03:12 PM
I drove by at 12:30pm today (was also there at 9am) and the line outside is just as long as it was earlier. For those that know the mall, the line of people stretches all along the south sidewalk (facing Stevens Creek Blvd), from Cheesecake Factory on the west end to the Macy's Mall Entrance on the East End of the mall. I'd estimate 20% of the queue is people without reservations, 80% with reservations. (this is in addition to the 150-200 people standing inside near the Apple Store.) There must be at least 500-600 people outside, perhaps more. (And there were that many earlier today too, so I'd guess there must be at least 1,000 reservations at this store).

I pulled over in my car and spoke to a few people who were 1/4 of the way back in the "reservations" line. These folks had been here since 6:30am and they clearly had at least another couple hours to wait. They said Apple Employees had told them that anyone in line by 9:30pm tonight would be accommodated.

I'm a little ticked off, frankly, because I never dreamed that my reservation would require me to stand in line the entire day! If they won't extend my reservation 'til tomorrow I'm going to be out of luck. Even if they have enough phones for everyone (which is amazing to me, if true), it seems wrong that they would make more reservations than what they could handle. I'm going to stop back by again later this afternoon and/or evening to see if things have improved, but if there's still a long line into the evening I'm going to complain and inquire as to why they can't hold my phone 'til tomorrow.

nadador
Jun 24, 2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry I didn't see if/how they were letting in walk-ins vs those with reservations... but if they're serving walk-ins while those with reservations are waiting in line for hours on end, that's one more thing I'll be ticked off about. :mad:

jhuang
Jun 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
hey guys, posted earlier that i called yesterday and they said they had 2000 reservations and were doing a 10-to-1 ratio. good luck!

btw i saw pics on engadget of the line.. looks RIDICULOUS. holy cow. http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-launch-day-line-watch/

nadador
Jun 24, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks jhuang for the info! If they have 2,000 reservations then my guess of 1,000 people waiting may not be far off! It's unbelievable. If they serve 100 people per hour (seems highly unlikely!) that'd take 20 hours.

Guess I picked the wrong store to make my reservation... haven't seen reports from any other store with waits anywhere near this long.

yayaba
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah I was worried Valley Fair was going to be nuts so I went to Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. The line only started forming outside the mall at 3:30am (I got there right when people started lining up) and the crowd, while large, sounds nothing like the Valley Fair scene.

austin.colby
Jun 24, 2010, 05:23 PM
I arrived around 5:30 am this morning and checked out at 10:20 according to my Apple receipt. There were probably no less then 1000 people wrapping around the both sides of the mall and we were moving at about a 20:1 reserved to unreserved ratio (luckily I was in the reserved line). It was a wild experience and well worth the wait. The iPhone 4 rocks!

As you can see below, four of the pictures were shot with the iPhone 4 and the last two with my old 3g... what a huge difference!

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0001.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0002.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0003.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0004.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0098.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/austin.colby-Public/IMG_0099.jpg

fuzzielitlpanda
Jun 24, 2010, 05:25 PM
any new updates to the reserve line?

chiizuvs
Jun 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, does anyone know what the reserved line is looking like right now?

nadador
Jun 24, 2010, 11:34 PM
8:30pm tonight there were still at least 300-400 people waiting in line outside (not including 50-100 inside closer to the store) Maybe 100 or so outside in the "drop-in" line, and 200-300 in the "reservation" line. They were assessing the line to decide if they thought they could serve everyone before midnight (which I think is impossible). Seems they may shut down around midnight and deal with more people tomorrow...?

jimi78
Jun 25, 2010, 02:13 AM
I was in line from 130pm and walked out of store w/ phone at 600pm. All those hours wiped away when I witnessed the display and iOS4. (was 3g, didn't update). hope everyone got their phones safely. nite all

DaPhatty
Jun 25, 2010, 03:56 AM
Well ****. I should have waited until the afternoon to arrive. I got in line at 9:30 am and didn't walk out of the store until 5:05 pm.

nadador
Jun 25, 2010, 01:17 PM
With my "claim ticket" in hand from last night (given to those who had reservations yesterday but couldn't be served before midnight), I arrived at Valley Fair this morning around 9am. There were just a dozen people in line outside, slowly being taken inside to the inside queue which took about an hour wait. Walked out with my iPhone at 10:15! As I left the mall at 10:45 there was no one waiting outside.

Only one queue for everyone today, regardless of whether you had a reservation yesterday or were just dropping in today.

Two guys in front of me in line had been in the "drop in" line yesterday for 12 hours (noon to midnight) and were near the front of the line when they were told to go home and come back today.

EazyWeazy3
Jul 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
Made a reservation in-store today.

Said 7-10 days. I'm excited!!!