PDA

View Full Version : Seasonality Go

normwood
Jun 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone downloaded and have an opinion to share on "Seasonality Go"?

The customization of the layouts really intrigues me, but I'm confused and a little concerned how it got so high in the rankings og weather apps when it only has two reviews.

Steve

bunger
Jun 7, 2010, 08:50 PM
I downloaded the Mac desktop version (free trial) and while it's cool, cannot believe they are charging $10 for the iPad app...

normwood
Jun 7, 2010, 09:11 PM
I downloaded the Mac desktop version (free trial) and while it's cool, cannot believe they are charging $10 for the iPad app...

Yeah...that's a big part of what is holding me back.

Steve

mikepj
Jun 8, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm the developer of Seasonality Go. Thanks for your interest in the product.

I am a bit biased, but I am sure the app got so high up in the rankings because it is such an awesome app... :-) In all seriousness though, I wish Apple allowed a demo period for iPad apps so everyone could try before they buy. I am at WWDC this week, but next week I will be posting a screencast showing how the app works on the product website at GetSeasonality.com. So be sure to check back to see a video of just what the software offers.

Hopefully you will get another user chiming in here, but if you have any questions about the product, I would be more than happy to answer them...

bunger
Jun 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the post.

I evaluated the desktop version and while the customizing and graphing is jive, there isn't (IMO) enough "special" features to justify the premium price. The pressure and humidity values are nice to see, but it lacks an hourly forecast, different radar imaging ( base velocity, etc ), weather cams, and other extra features that one would expect at a $9.99 price point.

I think if the price were lowered to $3.99, it would be more online with it's feature set.

Bill

mikepj
Jun 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Bill,

I appreciate the feedback. I would caution against comparing Seasonality Go to closely with Seasonality 1.5 on the Mac, because the apps are very much different. Seasonality Go is more closely related to Seasonality 2, which has been in development for over a year and will be released later in 2010.

First, just to make a correction to one of your statements, Seasonality Go does have an hourly forecast. Many of the graphs show data over the upcoming 7 days, and you can pinch to zoom and view exactly what the temperature (or other weather variable) is expected to be two days from now at 4pm. Furthermore, I am working on yet another hourly forecast interface where a user could pinch into the 7 day forecast view to see more precise hourly data.

That is just one feature in Seasonality Go that isn't in Seasonality 1.5 on the Mac. Seasonality Go also has the ability to completely customize your weather screens; includes great new inserts like animated radar/satellite images; graphs for precipitation, wave height, and cloud cover; and GPS capability to follow you wherever you go. And these are just a few of the features that Seasonality Go has over Seasonality for the Mac.

Between the enhancements above and the many years of development put into writing over 45,000 lines of code to make Seasonality Go tick, I (and many other people who have purchased the app since it was released a few days ago) think the app is well worth the cost of ordering a pizza. :-)

I will take your other comments as feature suggestions, so thank you for mentioning them. If you have any other questions about the app, please do not hesitate to ask. And definitely reevaluate Seasonality 2.0 on the Mac when it comes out later this year. It's going to be pretty cool...

Take care,
Mike

normwood
Jun 9, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hi Bill,

I appreciate the feedback. I would caution against comparing Seasonality Go to closely with Seasonality 1.5 on the Mac, because the apps are very much different. Seasonality Go is more closely related to Seasonality 2, which has been in development for over a year and will be released later in 2010.

First, just to make a correction to one of your statements, Seasonality Go does have an hourly forecast. Many of the graphs show data over the upcoming 7 days, and you can pinch to zoom and view exactly what the temperature (or other weather variable) is expected to be two days from now at 4pm. Furthermore, I am working on yet another hourly forecast interface where a user could pinch into the 7 day forecast view to see more precise hourly data.

That is just one feature in Seasonality Go that isn't in Seasonality 1.5 on the Mac. Seasonality Go also has the ability to completely customize your weather screens; includes great new inserts like animated radar/satellite images; graphs for precipitation, wave height, and cloud cover; and GPS capability to follow you wherever you go. And these are just a few of the features that Seasonality Go has over Seasonality for the Mac.

Between the enhancements above and the many years of development put into writing over 45,000 lines of code to make Seasonality Go tick, I (and many other people who have purchased the app since it was released a few days ago) think the app is well worth the cost of ordering a pizza. :-)

I will take your other comments as feature suggestions, so thank you for mentioning them. If you have any other questions about the app, please do not hesitate to ask. And definitely reevaluate Seasonality 2.0 on the Mac when it comes out later this year. It's going to be pretty cool...

Take care,
Mike

Mike

Thanks for responding to my original post....and the very thorough response to Bill's.

I'm going to give it a whirl.

Steve

normwood
Jun 9, 2010, 05:37 AM
Okay...so I bit the bullet about 30 minutes ago. This really is a beautiful app.

I am a cyclist and already set up my own map with just the data a cyclist would want to see. Very cool.

The one thing that is kicking my butt....that might be helped by a second cup of coffee....is the 'astronomical data'. I'm just not jiving with what it is telling me. Can you explain Mike?

Steve

bunger
Jun 9, 2010, 05:43 AM
Steve,

Is it worth the purchase? If you think it is, I may give it a go...

Bill

normwood
Jun 9, 2010, 06:10 AM
Steve,

Is it worth the purchase? If you think it is, I may give it a go...

Bill

Bill

Give me a day or so of playing with it before I respond. I think I have a lot yet to discover.

I am a firm believer in getting paid for one's efforts. I work hard....my employer recognizes me for it....and pays me pretty well. So far I would say that The Dev put a lot of time and effort into his product.

The app offers WAY more flexibility than the other two weather apps I have tried, the dev has been extremely responsive to questions and concerns, it doesn't have ads and hasn't crashed. I'm even getting to like the soothing, baby **** green coloring. :D

More later.

Steve

mikepj
Jun 9, 2010, 11:57 AM
Glad you like it so far Steve! I would be curious to see how you have it setup for cycling. If you get a chance, please send a screenshot to info@gauchosoft.com. I'm also glad to hear it hasn't crashed yet. Seasonality Go runs nice and stable on my iPad here, but developers never really know how their apps will behave out in the wild.

The astronomical insert packs a lot of data into a small area, so I'm glad you asked about it. Starting from the center and moving outward, the center circle is an image of the current moon phase. Right now, it's a new moon, so it is almost all black, but give it a few days and you'll start to see something there.

The rings around the moon phase show the moonrise/moonset and sunrise/sunset times in a kind of clock circle. 12 noon is at the top of the circle, and midnight is at the bottom (the numbers mark hours around the edges). The black and white ring shows when the moon is out (white is when it is out). The blue and yellow ring shows when it is daylight (blue is daylight, yellow at night). There is also an orange marker there to show you what time is right now, so you get an idea of how far you are into the day and how much daylight you have left.

The text in the bottom corners are the actual sunrise/sunset times (on the left) and moonrise/moonset times (on the right).

As for the green color, I'm not the biggest fan of green, but green means Go! I'm not sure I'll ever quite look at the app the same again after reading your color comparison. :-) I was going for a kind of grassy outdoor green, because the app is meant to be used outdoors.

Mike

normwood
Jun 9, 2010, 12:19 PM
Glad you like it so far Steve! I would be curious to see how you have it setup for cycling. If you get a chance, please send a screenshot to info@gauchosoft.com. I'm also glad to hear it hasn't crashed yet. Seasonality Go runs nice and stable on my iPad here, but developers never really know how their apps will behave out in the wild.

The astronomical insert packs a lot of data into a small area, so I'm glad you asked about it. Starting from the center and moving outward, the center circle is an image of the current moon phase. Right now, it's a new moon, so it is almost all black, but give it a few days and you'll start to see something there.

The rings around the moon phase show the moonrise/moonset and sunrise/sunset times in a kind of clock circle. 12 noon is at the top of the circle, and midnight is at the bottom (the numbers mark hours around the edges). The black and white ring shows when the moon is out (white is when it is out). The blue and yellow ring shows when it is daylight (blue is daylight, yellow at night). There is also an orange marker there to show you what time is right now, so you get an idea of how far you are into the day and how much daylight you have left.

The text in the bottom corners are the actual sunrise/sunset times (on the left) and moonrise/moonset times (on the right).

As for the green color, I'm not the biggest fan of green, but green means Go! I'm not sure I'll ever quite look at the app the same again after reading your color comparison. :-) I was going for a kind of grassy outdoor green, because the app is meant to be used outdoors.

Mike

Mike

Screenshot sent.

Thank you for the very thorough explanation of the Astronomical Chart. Makes mostly complete sense now. ;)

Steve

pward
Jun 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm the developer of Seasonality Go. Thanks for your interest in the product.

I am a bit biased, but I am sure the app got so high up in the rankings because it is such an awesome app... :-) In all seriousness though, I wish Apple allowed a demo period for iPad apps so everyone could try before they buy. I am at WWDC this week, but next week I will be posting a screencast showing how the app works on the product website at GetSeasonality.com. So be sure to check back to see a video of just what the software offers.

Hopefully you will get another user chiming in here, but if you have any questions about the product, I would be more than happy to answer them...

Mike,

As something of a weather junkie I am interested in Seasonality Go for the iPad. However we in the UK are often short-changed by the weather apps with some barely acknowledging our existence. So, a couple of quick questions; firstly, is the UK covered by Seasonality? Also are there any features we don't get by virtue of residing on the other side of the pond?

normwood
Jun 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
Mike,

As something of a weather junkie I am interested in Seasonality Go for the iPad. However we in the UK are often short-changed by the weather apps with some barely acknowledging our existence. So, a couple of quick questions; firstly, is the UK covered by Seasonality? Also are there any features we don't get by virtue of residing on the other side of the pond?

I'm not Mike...but just for the heck of it I changed my location to London, UK. It looks like it's reading from weather data gathered at Hethrow.

I have my Cycling Weather view set up to show current conditions, Temp, wind speed, precipitation, cloud cover, Astronomical data and the weather map.

All appear to show good data. Says it's currently 66*, wind out of the east at 9 mph 29.68 in of pressure.

Looks like it works for me.

Steve

mikepj
Jun 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
Pward: Yes, as much as I would like to show a full set of data for all my users, there is some data that jet isn't available outside the US. We are pretty lucky here in the US when it comes to weather, because the National Weather Service gives away a lot of data for free. A lot of this data I have been able to find elsewhere for international locations, but some of it I have been unable to find.

The biggest change you will notice is that radar imagery is not shown. The IR satellite does cover the globe, but radar is separate for each country, and some countries restrict how you can use their radar data. I am hoping to add radar imagery for Canada and Europe at some point in the future though.

The international forecast is also limited. Most local forecasters will look at multiple weather models to create a forecast, but with Seasonality Go, I have to pick just one model and trust it. You can check the forecasts in Seasonality on the Mac to see how well they do with your area. In the next month I will be putting a new forecast system in place which will be more accurate, but it still won't be as good as a local meteorologist. US forecasts are generated by meteorologists at the NWS, so they are really good.

The graph data varies more by your local weather station than which country you reside in. There are some restrictions here that are clearly laid out on the website at www.GetSeasonality.com.

That is all I can think of right now. Like I said before, I would really like to offer the same experience for all my users. As times goes on, the data will certainly improve.

pward
Jun 9, 2010, 04:08 PM
Pward: Yes, as much as I would like to show a full set of data for all my users, there is some data that jet isn't available outside the US. We are pretty lucky here in the US when it comes to weather, because the National Weather Service gives away a lot of data for free. A lot of this data I have been able to find elsewhere for international locations, but some of it I have been unable to find.

The biggest change you will notice is that radar imagery is not shown. The IR satellite does cover the globe, but radar is separate for each country, and some countries restrict how you can use their radar data. I am hoping to add radar imagery for Canada and Europe at some point in the future though.

The international forecast is also limited. Most local forecasters will look at multiple weather models to create a forecast, but with Seasonality Go, I have to pick just one model and trust it. You can check the forecasts in Seasonality on the Mac to see how well they do with your area. In the next month I will be putting a new forecast system in place which will be more accurate, but it still won't be as good as a local meteorologist. US forecasts are generated by meteorologists at the NWS, so they are really good.

The graph data varies more by your local weather station than which country you reside in. There are some restrictions here that are clearly laid out on the website at www.GetSeasonality.com.

That is all I can think of right now. Like I said before, I would really like to offer the same experience for all my users. As times goes on, the data will certainly improve.

Mike,

Many thanks for your response; I shall have a look at the Mac version to see how the forecasts are for my area in the UK.

Paul

bunger
Jun 13, 2010, 06:36 AM
Okay, I am now fully on the "Seasonality Go" bandwagon! After being frustrated with the performance of the other weather apps out there, I threw in the towel and bought SG last night. VERY solid app and worth the cost. The previous posts are dead on - the developer has spent considerable time getting this app right and it shows. Tons of information, fast, responsive, and I don't even mind the baby poop green. :-)

The only question i have is what forecast model you use for the states. It appears to be about 5 degrees lower than the other models in my area for the short term, though long term is pretty inline with the others.

Either way, excellent job!!

Squerb
Sep 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hey Mike,

I really like your app. Would you please consider adding a wind direction graph. I use the information for sailing and the wind direction is important for me to see as well as the speed. Unit changes may also be a good feature since I like to see wind speed in knots. Others may like to see different units for pressure too, but what you have currently works for me.

Thanks

iShad
Jan 26, 2011, 06:50 PM
This is the best weather app out there in my opinion. Outstanding!