PDA

View Full Version : kiosk mode - lock users in an App

Kross
Jun 8, 2010, 03:21 AM
EDIT: This has turned into my search for a solution. The following thread is updated on my progression to find a viable solution. /EDIT

<Original Posted Question:>
Is it possible to lock the user in an application, so that the user cannot exit without a password or some key-stroke sequence? I would like to disable the home and power buttons with a case or software solution.

Intended Application:
I want to give my customers iPads when they come into my store. There is an app I would like them to be able to use while shopping.
Other's have referred to this as "Kiosk Mode" or "Toddler Mode". Put Simply: I want the customers to use the Application, without immediately exiting the application and playing with other applications. The customers need to be free to hold the device, so fixed mounted cases won't work. An ipad kiosk case would work well, if such a thing existed.

<Answer After Months of Research:>
It's possible, but not yet pretty.

Shortest Possible Answer:

JailBreak the Ipad and use "IncarcerApp" from Cydia. No hardware solution exists.

Software Solution:
JailBreak the Ipad, use "IncarcerApp" from Cydia

If you JailBreak the iPad, you can use "IncarcerApp" from Cydia to lock the user in an Application. IncarcerApp ONLY disables the home button. In my experience with the App, it works great. No crashes thus far. This is the only software solution. Even if you have a private developer working to build a private app for your company, you must JailBreak the Ipad before this functionality is allowed. According to my Developer, once JailBroken, you can also make an App "Start on Boot", and password protect and/or hide all other icons on the home screen. Both "Start on Boot" and hiding/locking other apps is important, in the event the user (customer) decides to "power cycle" the Ipad to exit the App, the intended App should run immediately on Bootup and not allow the user to make any changes to the system without the password.

Also, on page 4 of this thread, another developer has proposed a jailbreak solution. I can't speak to the validation of such a claim, but the dev seems adamant about providing a solution.

Hardware Solution (in development):
There is no current hardware solution (Ipad Case) currently available. No cases, to my knowledge, are being developed.
as of 10/4/2010, I have not heard from the case dev in over 2 weeks. No idea what happened, hoping he reconnects our communication: A user of this forum is building a case that he is planning on selling for ~$30 US dollars/per-case. The user has been in consistent email communication with me and is building a prototype for my review. The same day I get the case, I will post a video review on this forum. Sidenote: Who knows if they are actually going to ever get me a case, we are hopeful none-the-less. In my opinion, there is a market for a hardware solution, and it is only a matter of time before a hardware solution becomes available.

Current Status:Application Development:
Currently, we are working with an amazing developer that we found on Elance. This was our first time to do ANY type of development for any type of software application. Our business does not have anything to do with software, ipads, or really even technology as a whole. We went with one of the higher bids on Elance. I interviewed (on the phone) all bids, and selected an American because of the ease of communication I had with him, and his professionalism. In Short, he and his business has, thus far, surpassed our highest expectations. If your looking for a developer, feel free to email me (click on my name "kross" and "email user") and I'll give you his contact information. I'd post it here, but want to refrain from making this an advertisement.

Once we have the application finished, we will start to deploy the application in our stores. We will be using the "IncarcerApp" on JailBroken Ipads, until a better solution presents itself (hardware or software).

- Kross

spammerhamster
Jun 8, 2010, 03:25 AM
Wow, user lockin.
That's an app that's so gonna pass the apple-evaluation...

they probably have to buy something before they get their phone back right? How is that called in windows? Oh yeah... ransomware.

Kross
Jun 8, 2010, 03:28 AM
I'd love to give my customers Ipads while they shop, (they turn them in when they leave), so they can use an App that will help them while they are shopping at my store.

But.. I'd rather not give out facebook machines to keep them occupied instead of shopping.

Is there any way to do this?

- Kross

spammerhamster
Jun 8, 2010, 03:39 AM
an app lockin is of course not possible.

you can of course just configure your wifinetwork not to let them get out of the store's webaddress.

Pushkar
Jun 8, 2010, 03:59 AM
You could just jailbreak them and Hide all the other Apps so they can't do much else...

Kross
Jun 8, 2010, 04:03 AM
Tru.. I like both ideas.

If I jailbreak it... can I lock the settings page? so they can't go in and change anything?

that way they can go back into the App if they want, otherwise the iPad is useless?

jtara
Jun 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
If you were writing your own app, I'd recommend joining the Enterprise Developer Program. Then, your app can do pretty much Anything It Damn Wants. Easy enough to add a passworded exit from the app. (And hope it doesn't crash!) Passworded exit from an app won't fly in the App Store, but with the Enterprise Program you don't distribute through the app store, and aren't subject to it's restrictions.

But it sounds like you want to give them an existing app.

I'm afraid jailbreak sounds like the only way. As one poster mentioned, you could restrict Internet access at the router or firewall. But that doesn't solve the "settings" problem. You need the "settings" app to go away, or at least not be shown on the screen.

I know museums have shown considerable interest toward iPod Touch and now iPad. Wonder how they've been solving it? Of course, if they write their own app, then the Enterprise Program is the way to go.

PBG4 Dude
Jun 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
If you're a paid iPhone developer you can write programs to do whatever you want on your phone/pad/pod. It's only when you want to distribute it via the app store that Apple's app store policies take effect.

tico24
Jun 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
The 'restrictions' setting in Settings will enable you to restrict access to:
safari
youtube
itunes
installing apps

It's a start, but it's all the iPad will allow.

bbtrinet
Jun 8, 2010, 11:16 AM
The easiest way to do this is to put the iPad in a special case where the home button is concealed so it can't be clicked. This case should also have something in it to ensure nobody walks away with your iPad. The case must also have some sort of lock.

It is not possible to disable the home button in software on a non-jail broken phone.

Kross
Jun 8, 2010, 12:26 PM
If you're a paid iPhone developer you can write programs to do whatever you want on your phone/pad/pod. It's only when you want to distribute it via the app store that Apple's app store policies take effect.

Let me make sure I understand.

so if I get an App coded for me, and I'm a paid developer...

I can put that App on all of my iPads manually? and the AP can do anything I want (like password to exit program) without Jailbreaking?

- Kross

Kross
Jun 8, 2010, 12:29 PM
If you were writing your own app, I'd recommend joining the Enterprise Developer Program. Then, your app can do pretty much Anything It Damn Wants. Easy enough to add a passworded exit from the app. (And hope it doesn't crash!) Passworded exit from an app won't fly in the App Store, but with the Enterprise Program you don't distribute through the app store, and aren't subject to it's restrictions.

same question I asked in my last "quoted" post...

So if I get my own App written for me, I can manually put it on all my iPads I purchase and it can do "Anything it Damn Wants" including password on exit, etc... Without Jailbreaking? (this is sounding really good so far)

- Kross

thedarkhorse
Jun 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
you might be out of luck outside jailbreaking. Unless you find/alter a case so that the home button is completely blocked off from being pressed.

Kross
Jun 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
Can anyone answer the questions I gave to PBG4 Dude or ptara?

basically just want to know:

So if I get my own App written for me, I can manually put it on all my iPads I purchase and it can do "Anything it Damn Wants" including password on exit, etc... Without Jailbreaking?

- Kross

skubish
Jun 9, 2010, 10:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yes if you write own app and join the developer program, you can have the app do whatever you want.
The Enterprise Developer Program is for companies to develop their internal apps to use inhouse.

Kross
Jun 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yes if you write own app and join the developer program, you can have the app do whatever you want.
The Enterprise Developer Program is for companies to develop their internal apps to use inhouse.

Perfect. Thats exactly what I want to do anyways. This will be my first experience with getting an App written. I'm sure there are tons of resources and websites to hire coders. Any recommendations?

And are there forums on this board or elsewhere, where I can ask questions specific to the capabilities of the OS for coding? (ie: is it possible to keep a user in an App, etc etc). So that I can be better prepared to instruct the coder-for-hire on what the app needs to do.

Thanks,

- Kross

Ivan P
Jun 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Sorry, I can't help it, before you keep posting please remember it is 'app' and not 'AP'.

Pushkar
Jun 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
Perfect. Thats exactly what I want to do anyways. This will be my first experience with getting an Ap written. I'm sure there are tons of resources and websites to hire coders. Any recommendations?

And are there forums on this board or elsewhere, where I can ask questions specific to the capabilities of the OS for coding? (ie: is it possible to keep a user in an Ap, etc etc). So that I can be better prepared to instruct the coder-for-hire on what the ap needs to do.

Thanks,

- Kross

What exactly do you want done? Like a Shopping List app? You pick the Product, it will calculate the Price, you bring it to the till or wherever and you Pay?

What's your business?

r0k
Jun 9, 2010, 10:47 AM
I can't believe you want to hand a device with at least $500 street value to customers browsing your retail establishment. Surely you have thought about some kind of security?

Does the customer give you a credit card when they get the iPad and they get the credit card back when they are done browsing?

I remember getting rather expensive looking audio players when I visit the museum but they aren't very attractive as theft items because they are single purpose devices. Anybody can get an iPad into DFU mode and restore it to factory state by doing 5 minutes of googling. Surely you aren't hoping your "locked in" app is going to make the iPads less attractive for theft, right?

jtara
Jun 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
you might be out of luck outside jailbreaking. Unless you find/alter a case so that the home button is completely blocked off from being pressed.

Oops, yea. You still may be out of luck. There may be no way to defeat the Home button. But there might be, as well. There's nothing stopping you from using private APIs if you're an Enterprise developer. Dunno, you'd have to do some research.

Quite aside from this, there are some relatively easy ways to do your own app without actually writing tedious Objective-C code, especially for the type of thing you are interested in.

There are the "app generators", which basically put a pretty shell around an RSS feed from your website.

And there is some new thingie for Adobe CS3 that makes it possible to generate an app.

Apple has been cracking down on the "crap generators", but it seems that certain ones are being allowed to go forward.

jtara
Jun 10, 2010, 02:13 PM
I stumbled across a solution! (You'll still need a special case to prevent use of the "home" button, though.)

There's an iPad web browser that will lock the user into a specific web page or site. That would be a low-cost solution vs. developing an app. And if you make use of some iPad-specific browser features, you can probably come pretty close to an "app experience".

Check out AVD Browse (http://itunes.apple.com/app/avd-browse/id372757110?mt=8)

There's also an ad-supported free version that you can use to check it out at no cost.

The company that makes this apparently does A/V installations for museums in Israel. So, they solved a problem they had by writing their own app.

Since the app's description mentions the use of a special holder to prevent use of the home button, I thought their web site might point to some products. I didn't find anything there with a quick glance, but I did find this that you may find useful:

Technical Note TN2262: Preparing Your Web Content for iPad (http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/technotes/tn2010/tn2262/index.html)

Kross
Jun 10, 2010, 11:17 PM
I stumbled across a solution! (You'll still need a special case to prevent use of the "home" button, though.)....

jtara: wow.. i can't thank you enough.I really appreciate the info.

I'm currently getting a few quotes from iphoneappquotes.com, we will see how that works out. Any other suggested spots to search for reputable dev's?

I'm going to price getting the App developed for me. Then see how I want to proceed. Either way, I do want to know what case they are using that hides the home button. (even if its disabled, or disabled with a password.. would just be nice to hide the "BIG RED BUTTON that says DONT PUSH ME" (if ya know what I mean)

- Kross

SteveAbootman
Jun 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
After reading through the whole thread I just have one request OP - please call it an "app" or "application". AP is the Associated Press!

Best of luck with your app though. I hope everything works out.

Kross
Jun 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
After reading through the whole thread I just have one request OP - please call it an "app" or "application". AP is the Associated Press!

Best of luck with your app though. I hope everything works out.

Corrections being made throughout post now...

<moderator please change title from "Ap" to "App", thanks>

mklnk
Jun 11, 2010, 09:47 AM
jtara: wow.. i can't thank you enough.I really appreciate the info.

I'm currently getting a few quotes from iphoneappquotes.com, we will see how that works out. Any other suggested spots to search for reputable dev's?

I'm going to price getting the App developed for me. Then see how I want to proceed. Either way, I do want to know what case they are using that hides the home button. (even if its disabled, or disabled with a password.. would just be nice to hide the "BIG RED BUTTON that says DONT PUSH ME" (if ya know what I mean)

- Kross

There are a few book-jacket style cases that cover the bezel and have a little cutout for the home button. Might be as easy as getting one of these cases and putting the ipad in upside down so the button is covered.

bigjnyc
Jun 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
sorry but the curiosity is killing me..... How do you prevent people from walking out with one of the iPads?

elistan
Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
Have you looked at the iPhone Configuration Utility? (Looks like it supports iPad too.)
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

You can use that to lock down an iPhone OS device to a certain degree. (I've only briefly played with it, not being an enterprise business myself. :) )

You can turn off:
- Safari
- YouTube
- iTunes Music Store
- installing other apps
- camera
- screen capture

You can lock it to a specific wifi network, you can lock down email accounts, a few other things too.

wodeh
Jun 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
Using a jailbroken iPad you will have access to the IncarcerApp application, which prevents the use of the home button in software for any app you might be in, and works using Activator- an application which can bind actions to various gestures.

You can bind IncarcerApp to a suitable obscure gesture or sequence so that customers would be locked into your otherwise entirely legitimately developed sales assistance application.

Jailbreaking is currently a trivial process that takes approximately 10 seconds, including the connection/disconnection of each iPad.

Reed Rothchild
Jun 11, 2010, 10:37 AM
Certainly on the iPhone once you've jailbroken it you can run SBSettings and select "Hide Icons" to turn on or off the icon for an app (including "apps" like Settings). I don't have my ipad at hand at the moment, but SBSettings certainly works on it and I'm quite sure you could then hide every single app on the ipad apart from the one you want to run. Not sure if you can also disable the spotlight functionality for those who know their way around an idevice...

Kross
Jun 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
sorry but the curiosity is killing me..... How do you prevent people from walking out with one of the iPads?

make sure they turn them in before they leave. RFID if I have to, pretty cheap actually to implement from what a friend in the field tells me.

Kross
Jun 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
this is great. Just signed up for Elance today, going to get some quotes. also probably going to try iphoneappquotes.com. I'll keep the thread posted.

- Kross

Kross
Jun 19, 2010, 12:15 AM
We posted the Job on elance, and have began to work with a developer. So far the developer has been up-front, saying "the only way to disable the home-button, is to have the app relaunch-automatically as soon as the home-button closes it. We are seeking to build a case that hides both buttons and locks onto the iPad.

- Kross

Hydrocity
Jun 19, 2010, 12:47 AM
Wow over $1000! You must be getting multiple iPads, and at 500$ each, you must have a lot of money :p

Kross
Jun 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
Wow over $1000! You must be getting multiple iPads, and at 500$ each, you must have a lot of money :p

we are serious about offering this to our clients. We will start with a few iPads and see how it goes. This is a large investment for our small company, but we think user experience could result in positive returns.

Also, we decided that instead of making a "test program", that only played videos. We might as well invest the extra money now to get the App how we want it, so that we can expand in the future without having to pay for a complete re-write.

I'm anxious to see how this project turns out for us; and i will keep this thread posted. thanks again for all the insight.

- Kross

Kross
Jun 30, 2010, 09:21 AM
after much research...

The ONLY way I'm aware of, to lock a user within an App without Jailbreaking the iPad, is to make the App relaunch automatically after the user presses the home button. (note: this can only be done outside of the App store, only for personal Apps, installing them ad-hoc with a small business dev license for up to 100 iPads)

The home button will simply bring up the main iPad screen, then jump back into the App. We are hiring a developer today to start work on the App.

- Kross

mklnk
Jun 30, 2010, 02:24 PM
after much research...

The ONLY way I'm aware of, to lock a user within an App without Jailbreaking the iPad, is to make the App relaunch automatically after the user presses the home button. (note: this can only be done outside of the App store, only for personal Apps, installing them ad-hoc with a small business dev license for up to 100 iPads)

The home button will simply bring up the main iPad screen, then jump back into the App. We are hiring a developer today to start work on the App.

- Kross

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/06/29/4food-new-nyc-burger-restaurant-goes-all-in-with-social-media/

Is this you?

Kross
Jul 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
There are a few book-jacket style cases that cover the bezel and have a little cutout for the home button. Might be as easy as getting one of these cases and putting the ipad in upside down so the button is covered.

tru, we've thought about this.... but we all agree, the case must be professional looking. Stuck in upside down would be odd looking.

What we do know:

there is a huge demand for using iPads in the business setting. Some people want to use them to pass out during presentations so that everyone can follow-along, but without giving them the option to exit the presentation.

Others have similar needs to what my company is looking at doing. Using them for customers, to enhance the interactive experience and promote sales, etc.

Currently, Apple is not providing a way to "lock users in the app" or goin into "Kiosk Mode", as others are calling it. However, a case that locks around the iPad is in high demand. We are looking at creating a case ourselves. In fact, today I am contacting a few companies that make iPad cases. Very curious on what their thoughts are. I truly hope someone is making these already. Judging by my research, the demand is there to support a locked case.

- Kross

Kross
Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 AM
http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/06/29/4food-new-nyc-burger-restaurant-goes-all-in-with-social-media/

Is this you?

No, thats not me. However, thank you for posting the link. The link shows the growing demand for a "kiosk mode" for the iPad.

Here's a video of that kiosk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XwvJPO5KY

Clearly, businesses want to use the iPad as a customer interaction tool, but don't want to just pass out you-tube-playing-machines. =-)

hope someone comes up with a solution soon. In my opinion, it seems most viable for the solution to be a case that covers the power and home-button, as well as locks on the iPad.

(just found this, lol... progress I guess)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8355/4487329902e865236546.jpg (http://img823.imageshack.us/i/4487329902e865236546.jpg/)

- Kross

Kross
Jul 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
We are confident that a "locked case" or some sort of other solution will present soon.

We have started developing our application, which will be useless until we find a solution to block both buttons.

If anyone can lead me in the right direction of someone developing a case, or other software solution (without jailbreaking), we'd love to hear about it.

We don't want to jailbreak, simply because.... We think its probably a bad idea to put so much trust in a software "hack". The cydia software could crash the iPads, kick out of the app, etc etc etc. Who knows when we'd have to upgrade. Also, if we opened a new store and wanted iPads, and at the same time a new software came out that hadn't been jailbroken, we'd be out-of-luck for buying new iPads. Hinging our business on hoping all firmwares are hacked, or jailbroken, seems to be a bad business move. Our opinion anyways.

- Kross

Kross
Jul 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
just found this company. Trying to contact them, has promise.

http://www.modulrcase.com/

EDIT: Just spoke with Jay, from modulrcase. Currently they have no products that block the home and power buttons, and no plans to make any "business related" cases until 2011. The 2010 plan is stick with consumer grade. Just like the thousands of other iPad case manufacturers. I linked him to this thread.

I'll admit, I have no clue of what-it-takes to produce a case. But seems-to-me, if I was already making hard iPad cases, it couldn't be too hard to simply not cut out the material around the home-button and power-button. The locking option would, admittedly, be harder to implement. But at this point, I'd settle for a non-locking case that just covered the home and power buttons. If the user REALLY wanted to hit the home button, they could rip off the case and do it, but most probably wouldn't.

Can I convince any case makers out there? Being different by providing an extremely niche product offering is a great idea! (ideally the exact case I want, lol) /worth-a-try

- Kross

mklnk
Jul 1, 2010, 12:23 PM
just found this company. Trying to contact them, has promise.

http://www.modulrcase.com/

EDIT: Just spoke with Jay, from modulrcase. Currently they have no products that block the home and power buttons, and no plans to make any "business related" cases until 2011. The 2010 plan is stick with consumer grade. Just like the thousands of other iPad case manufacturers. I linked him to this thread.

I'll admit, I have no clue of what-it-takes to produce a case. But seems-to-me, if I was already making hard iPad cases, it couldn't be too hard to simply not cut out the material around the home-button and power-button. The locking option would, admittedly, be harder to implement. But at this point, I'd settle for a non-locking case that just covered the home and power buttons. If the user REALLY wanted to hit the home button, they could rip off the case and do it, but most probably wouldn't.

Can I convince any case makers out there? Being different by providing an extremely niche product offering is a great idea! (ideally the exact case I want, lol) /worth-a-try

- Kross

I can't imagine the case would be that hard to fabricate. Have you tried contacting anyone about getting them custom made?

Kross
Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 PM
I can't imagine the case would be that hard to fabricate. Have you tried contacting anyone about getting them custom made?

I haven't yet, no. Honestly I wouldn't know where to start. Any suggestions? We would definitely consider custom making them.

I would think the only stipulation would be they need to be made out of a hard material. A soft covering would allow the buttons to be pushed even if they were covered. So if I can find someone to make that, I'd be all for it. Price allowing anyways.

Any ideas on where to start looking for someone to custom make them?

- Kross

Kross
Jul 5, 2010, 03:35 PM
Quote from the website I found this on:

Designed to turn your iPad into a wall-mounted kiosk

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4300/gravityswitchibracket.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/gravityswitchibracket.jpg/)

Source: http://bit.ly/a0D946

It's a step in the right direction...

- Kross

munkees
Jul 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
Kross, I would suggest you contact a local industrial designer, they should be able to design and know how to fabricate the enclosures you are looking for.

who knows you might find a small market to sell the enclosures too to other people.

Kross
Jul 5, 2010, 04:58 PM
Kross, I would suggest you contact a local industrial designer, they should be able to design and know how to fabricate the enclosures you are looking for.

who knows you might find a small market to sell the enclosures too to other people.

any idea on how to go about finding that? "industrial designer for hire?" into google? Really out-of-my-area, if ya know what I mean. But I'm not oppose to it.

- Kross

munkees
Jul 5, 2010, 08:32 PM
any idea on how to go about finding that? "industrial designer for hire?" into google? Really out-of-my-area, if ya know what I mean. But I'm not oppose to it.

- Kross

where do you live

Kross
Jul 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
where do you live

Tampa, FL

munkees
Jul 6, 2010, 10:54 AM
Tampa, FL

Here are some design house in FL

http://www.blackhagendesign.com/contacts.htm
http://www.brookstech.com/

I know this guy not in your area but a great industrial design, done lots of printer cases for HP

http://www.designen.com/

Killerburst
Jul 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
Kross, this is an interesting thread. I hope you keep it updated with your progress and the end-result.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 6, 2010, 12:18 PM
I haven't yet, no. Honestly I wouldn't know where to start. Any suggestions? We would definitely consider custom making them.

I would think the only stipulation would be they need to be made out of a hard material. A soft covering would allow the buttons to be pushed even if they were covered. So if I can find someone to make that, I'd be all for it. Price allowing anyways.

Any ideas on where to start looking for someone to custom make them?

- Kross

The industrial option is a good one, however if you haven't strolled thru Etsy.com you might find someone there that can make something too. I saw some really nice leather ones, and there might be someone that can get you what you need.

I do think that working with someone in the industrial side might be a nice shoot off biz for you/them though.

Gee, so I want to come check out what you end up! Just a short road trip away :D

Kross
Jul 7, 2010, 09:51 AM
The industrial option is a good one, however if you haven't strolled thru Etsy.com you might find someone there that can make something too. I saw some really nice leather ones, and there might be someone that can get you what you need.

I do think that working with someone in the industrial side might be a nice shoot off biz for you/them though.

Gee, so I want to come check out what you end up! Just a short road trip away :D

Actively searching for designers now... any recommendations would be great.

- Kross

Kross
Jul 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
found another company going the kiosk route:

http://www.ipadnewstracker.com/2010/07/beyondkiosks-com-reveals-ipad-kiosks/

Kross
Jul 16, 2010, 10:26 AM
update:

we have gone ahead with in-house App development. The plan was drawn up and development starts today! The App design took a few weeks, but we think we've got most of the details ironed out.

This puts more pressure on us to find a SOLUTION to the case that we need. I will be contacting industrial design firms today and all of next week. If we have to, we will design a case ourselves.

- Kross

Kross
Jul 16, 2010, 11:57 AM
check out the end of the video in this post, and the pictures.

This is a iPad kiosk in a new Disney Store...

http://bit.ly/dqJyq2

- Kross

Kross
Jul 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
Found this, waiting on a call back from them. From BeyondKiosks.com

http://bit.ly/b97Xp8

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6601/imgphpw.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/imgphpw.jpg/)

Looks promising, and does DISABLE home and power buttons, but I need to know if we can use it without having to mount it somewhere.

- Kross

magiclaffs
Jul 16, 2010, 08:25 PM

- Kross

I know it is hackneyed to say, but this kiosk app for Disney is magical. The flow of the icons/selections, etc., is wonderful. I was thinking though it might be a major undertaking to keep it updated, so whoever got the contract...as long as Disney keeps selling stuff, it will be a cash mine.

saberahul
Jul 16, 2010, 09:08 PM
Why not ask Apple if they will specially do it for you? I doubt they will but no harm in emailing the man who has nothing better than replying to curious emails. Simple suggestion.

fishkorp
Jul 17, 2010, 12:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

- Kross

I know it is hackneyed to say, but this kiosk app for Disney is magical. The flow of the icons/selections, etc., is wonderful. I was thinking though it might be a major undertaking to keep it updated, so whoever got the contract...as long as Disney keeps selling stuff, it will be a cash mine.

I'm pretty sure PointAbout did the Disney app (and not just link the story). I know one of the founders, pretty sure he said they were working on that a while back. Was really proud of it. Great group of guys at PointAbout.

Kross
Jul 20, 2010, 12:50 PM
contacted design houses to make a case for us.

overview:

Case covers home and power button so it can't be pressed. Made of some sort of hard material.

Price:

About $1500 for the design, and about $1500 for the prototype.

Thats a lot more than we want to spend. We are going to start with 3 iPads to see if this works for our clients.

- Kross

TraceyS/FL
Jul 20, 2010, 01:52 PM
contacted design houses to make a case for us.

overview:

Case covers home and power button so it can't be pressed. Made of some sort of hard material.

Price:

About $1500 for the design, and about $1500 for the prototype.

Thats a lot more than we want to spend. We are going to start with 3 iPads to see if this works for our clients.

- Kross

I'm still thinking you could get something made of leather custom made.

Something like a sleeve with a cut out for the screen, then a flap with a lock on the back (think the kind that used to be on luggage maybe) or a pocket with a small lock.

This is a place (http://www.alibaba.com/products/lock_metal_bag_buckle/----------------351-3292,------------.html)that sells bag locks out off China apparently, but it might be something that will help finding something.

A custom motorcycle shop might be a good place to ask for someone (i'm finding a variety on google, a lot over by Daytona). Oh hey, i just hit some custom Equestrian/Tack Shops that might point you in the right direction.

I wish i knew someone to point you too - but it's not an area i've had a need for up to this point! A good craftsman would probably be able to point you in a better direction.

TheBritishBloke
Jul 20, 2010, 01:59 PM
You could just enable 'Restrictions' to not allow them onto Safari or anything, and just put the app on there that you want them to be on, then they can't access anything else, including FaceBook.

Kross
Jul 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
You could just enable 'Restrictions' to not allow them onto Safari or anything, and just put the app on there that you want them to be on, then they can't access anything else, including FaceBook.

allowing the user to exit the application doesn't give the level of professionalism that we want for this application.

- Kross

Kross
Aug 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
As an update:

We are finishing developing our App in the next few weeks. Reluctantly, we have decided to use Jailbroken iPads that will have the home button disabled.

If the iPad application is a success in our business, then we will go down the road of making our own cases. Making our own cases will run us approximately $5,000 for 50 cases. Not to mention, we really don't want to allocate the time and resources to take on such a project. Hoping by the time the project is a success, someone else will have made the cases we need.

- Kross

macsarethebest
Aug 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
Cool! let us know how it works out... ;)

PBG4 Dude
Aug 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the continuing updates.

urashid
Aug 13, 2010, 02:16 PM
I have also been looking for a case that hides Home and Power buttons, and this thread has been very helpful.

One question about the jailbreak option: When the Home button is disabled, does it also disable the Shutdown option (Home+Power)? If not, I am afraid the users can just reboot the iPad and have access to other apps.

Thanks in advance

Kross
Aug 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
One question about the jailbreak option: When the Home button is disabled, does it also disable the Shutdown option (Home+Power)? If not, I am afraid the users can just reboot the iPad and have access to other apps.

Here is the Cydia App I am planning on using. I don't believe it locks the power button.

IncarcerApp

Video - working on Ipad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6AY7U6BHI

Project Home & Other links:
http://code.google.com/p/iphone-incarcerapp/
http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/incarcerapp-disable-home-button-activator

Unfortunately, I believe IncarcerApp DOES NOT lock the power button. This is not a perfect solution, but we believe it is a viable, temporary-solution, that will provide a great testing environment for this project. We are guessing (hoping) most of our customers will not bother with turning the ipad off/on. The temptation will mainly be to hit the home button. Also, it's not the "end of the world" if the customer exits the app, we can simply restart it after he return the iPad to the front desk. Simply, we want most of our clients to use the App we are designing to help them during their stay in our store.

- Kross

urashid
Aug 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
Kross,

Thanks for the links and the info. I am still pursuing the no-jailbreak route and seriously looking at custom cases. Will post again on progress.

TheBritishBloke
Aug 17, 2010, 05:42 PM
Kross,

Can I ask how you plan to prevent them from walking out of the store with the iPad?

melman101
Aug 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
What about locktopus?

fleavers
Aug 19, 2010, 12:43 AM
Kross,

I have recently been following your thread, I have noticed that you are looking for custom iPad cases which disable the home and power buttons. The company I work for has been looking into creating such as case, if you are interested in more details please feel free to email me p.c.s.inc@hotmail.com.

Fleavers

AvocetCreative
Aug 19, 2010, 06:29 AM
As an update:

We are finishing developing our App in the next few weeks. Reluctantly, we have decided to use Jailbroken iPads that will have the home button disabled.

If the iPad application is a success in our business, then we will go down the road of making our own cases. Making our own cases will run us approximately $5,000 for 50 cases. Not to mention, we really don't want to allocate the time and resources to take on such a project. Hoping by the time the project is a success, someone else will have made the cases we need.

- Kross

Did you try these guys? http://www.zagg.com/

Kross
Aug 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
Did you try these guys? http://www.zagg.com/

I'm failing to see what these cases have to do with this topic? Am I missing something or is this an advertisement post?

- Kross

Kross
Aug 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
What about locktopus?

locktopus? that just password protects apps OUTSIDE of the App.

I suppose we could use this to limit functionality, so that no apps could be ran besides ours, so that... in the event someone does power-off/power-on, they can only run our App.

- Kross

Kross
Aug 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
Kross,

I have recently been following your thread, I have noticed that you are looking for custom iPad cases which disable the home and power buttons. The company I work for has been looking into creating such as case, if you are interested in more details please feel free to email me p.c.s.inc@hotmail.com.

Fleavers

email sent...

I will keep everyone posted on what comes of this.

- Kross

Kross
Aug 19, 2010, 11:11 PM
Kross,

Thanks for the links and the info. I am still pursuing the no-jailbreak route and seriously looking at custom cases. Will post again on progress.

Good to know I'm not the only one looking for something like this. Keep us updated plz!

- Kross

Kross
Aug 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
Kross,

Can I ask how you plan to prevent them from walking out of the store with the iPad?

Our clientel is closely watched during their stay. We realize theft will be an issue. We are looking at putting RFID tags on the iPads.

However, most likely, we are going to print stickers that say "RFID Security - THEFT PROTECTION ALARM ENCLOSED". and put them on the iPads. No actual RFID will be present. We will assess theft after our prototype is done.

Realize this is a ongoing project for us. We are a couple months away from our first few in 1 office. We will make changes to the App, security, and cases, as things progress.

- Kross

AvocetCreative
Aug 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm failing to see what these cases have to do with this topic? Am I missing something or is this an advertisement post?

- Kross

My bad. A colleague recommended these guys to me in the past as a company that are very open to new product ideas. I have not dealt with them myself, but if you are still looking for a case manufacturer, they might be worth a try.

Tourshd
Aug 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
I have a video production company and I am filming restaurants to put an ipad in hotel lobbies in kiosk mode showing of the restaurants around the area. Here is my issue, I can't get good quality video with Youtube, even if using lobbies wi-fi. I would much rather use video in itunes on the ipad, but that can't be accessed from the browser where I built the kiosk interface. I am currently using mykiosk. Any thoughts on how to use video with kiosks?

Kross
Sep 3, 2010, 02:31 AM
someone found me on the forums, and is "supposedly" sending me a prototype by Sept 8th to try out. Its a case that does exactly what I'm looking for.

not holding my breath, but would be nice if they come through

- Kross

imoretti
Sep 14, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Kross,

We just finished development of a kiosk app for the iPad. It does disable the home button, so will require installation on a jailbroken unit. It features password-protected settings (URL, password change), software lock of the home button and orientation (landscape or portrait) and support for HTML5. We will license this to companies who will offer the app as part of a bundle with a jailbroken iPad. Email me if you might have some interest.

Michael

mBox
Sep 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
Kross, this is an interesting thread. I hope you keep it updated with your progress and the end-result.Probably the most helfpul too. I almost got my foot in the door to help dev a kids book on iPad. It fell thru but just from my experiences, its hard getting things going in the dev stage from the start. Thanks to this thread (thanks Kross), its kept me interested in the future of iPad dev.

mBox
Sep 14, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have a video production company and I am filming restaurants to put an ipad in hotel lobbies in kiosk mode showing of the restaurants around the area. Here is my issue, I can't get good quality video with Youtube, even if using lobbies wi-fi. I would much rather use video in itunes on the ipad, but that can't be accessed from the browser where I built the kiosk interface. I am currently using mykiosk. Any thoughts on how to use video with kiosks?Is your question on the video quality? Ive been testing AirVideo and TVersity and the video quality looks great.
Even websites like Vimeo on my iPad at full screen is awesome.
Saw this one using a Red (were getting one at work) http://vimeo.com/14780596

Kross
Sep 16, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Kross,

We just finished development of a kiosk app for the iPad. It does disable the home button, so will require installation on a jailbroken unit. It features password-protected settings (URL, password change), software lock of the home button and orientation (landscape or portrait) and support for HTML5. We will license this to companies who will offer the app as part of a bundle with a jailbroken iPad. Email me if you might have some interest.

Michael

Email sent. Will update the thread on his reply, if any.

Kross
Sep 16, 2010, 11:08 PM
Probably the most helfpul too. I almost got my foot in the door to help dev a kids book on iPad. It fell thru but just from my experiences, its hard getting things going in the dev stage from the start. Thanks to this thread (thanks Kross), its kept me interested in the future of iPad dev.

Thanks. Really hope this thread helps people.

- Kross

Kross
Sep 17, 2010, 09:24 AM
Very excited, the "case" developer has said he will be shipping the case tomorrow. Here's hoping...

- Kross
(not holding my breath)

Kross
Sep 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
Updated my first post in the thread to reflect the progress through the thread.

- Kross

japanime
Sep 25, 2010, 10:46 PM
Very excited, the "case" developer has said he will be shipping the case tomorrow. Here's hoping...

- Kross
(not holding my breath)

So, did you receive the case from the developer?

yyywww
Sep 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
This thread is very useful for us kiosk app developers. Thank you.

How did you manage to get the app to run on startup?

Kross
Sep 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
So, did you receive the case from the developer?

nope.... extremely disappointing. around 30 emails back and forth from/to him.

He was going to send it, then they had manufacturing problems so it got pushed back, then pushed back again. And now, no replies to email in last week. Too bad, was really hoping for it. The search continues.

- Kross

Kross
Sep 29, 2010, 10:05 AM
This thread is very useful for us kiosk app developers. Thank you.

Glad to help

How did you manage to get the app to run on startup?

This is for Jailbroken devices only. Getting the App to run on startup is a simple bit of code that is widely available within the dev community (so I'm told anyways).

- Kross

ipadDev
Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
I can take care of it for you, but all of the iPads will have to be jailbroken because I would need to call some private frameworks to disable all of the buttons. Contact me if you would like to have it done. I have some free time next month for contracting. Oh, it would also be easier if you have access to the source code of this app you want them to be stuck in otherwise I would have to do some more complicated magic.

Let me know.

melman101
Sep 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
Any word on the quote from iphoneappdevs or what not that you tried? Just curious on how much they wanted to charge you to develop an app.

Kross
Sep 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
I can take care of it for you, but all of the iPads will have to be jailbroken because I would need to call some private frameworks to disable all of the buttons. Contact me if you would like to have it done. I have some free time next month for contracting. Oh, it would also be easier if you have access to the source code of this app you want them to be stuck in otherwise I would have to do some more complicated magic.

Let me know.

Pardon my skepticism, but either you know something that 5 experienced devs don't know, or your doing something they wouldn't be willing to do.

According to my current dev, disabling those buttons could lead to further problems, and is generally a bad idea. Your thoughts?

- Kross

ipadDev
Oct 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
Pardon my skepticism, but either you know something that 5 experienced devs don't know, or your doing something they wouldn't be willing to do.

According to my current dev, disabling those buttons could lead to further problems, and is generally a bad idea. Your thoughts?

- Kross

The devs you mentioned, do they regularly interact with private frameworks? There is plenty of magic in there the only problem you will run into is your app would probably break on an iOS upgrade. If you would like to know the specifics pm me.

Kross
Oct 4, 2010, 11:48 AM
The devs you mentioned, do they regularly interact with private frameworks? There is plenty of magic in there the only problem you will run into is your app would probably break on an iOS upgrade. If you would like to know the specifics pm me.

Thank you for your reply and willingness to help.

However, currently, we are holding out for an ipad case. Ideally, we would like to NOT HAVE TO JAILBREAK out ipads. We feel like relying on a "hack" for a business model, is probably not the best of ideas. Would not be good if we a new software came out, and we needed to buy more ipads.

I will keep you in mind, should we not have a case by go-time. Thanks

<First Post updated to reflect the interaction and learned info from this dev>

- Kross

Kross
Oct 14, 2010, 09:37 AM
Funny name, but the STAYPAD ipad enclosure protects your iPad from theft and hides the HOME button for kiosk application.

http://www.staypad.com
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3958/111dxr.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/111dxr.jpg/)

wow.. this thing might be the Ugliest, Bulkiest, and most Useless case, for my application, ever.

Instead of using this, I could just buy a safety-deposit-box at the bank, then cut a square out of the top of it. In fact, that might be exactly what they did here. I can only imagine how heavy this thing is, I just imagine my customers walking around with this thing.

I appreciate the link though, no offense... This might be exactly what some people are looking for. Just not me unfortunately. Thanks for the link.

- Kross

Kross
Oct 14, 2010, 03:04 PM
Frustrated...

Soon I'm going to start contacting case manufacturers, asking for a custom job.

There are so many cases that are exactly what I need, except instead of covering the home,power, and volume buttons, they have cut-outs there. I can't imagine its too difficult for these manufacturers to simply make the same case, and skip the "cut-outs" part.

If anyone see's something that might help, please let me know. Thanks to the last poster for linking me to the "safety-deposit-case". Just frustrated.

- Kross

Gmpalmer
Oct 18, 2010, 08:43 PM
Need good looking locking case with home button protection for SurveyOnTheSpot app for use in restaurants, retail, health clubs, etc.

Can't be "clunky!".

VESA mount or built in secure wedge mount for angled countertop portrait mode usage.

If you know of product that exists or is in development please post or contact me with PM

Thank you.

Geoff

Night Spring
Oct 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
There are so many cases that are exactly what I need, except instead of covering the home,power, and volume buttons, they have cut-outs there. I can't imagine its too difficult for these manufacturers to simply make the same case, and skip the "cut-outs" part.

How many cases do you need? Maybe it's a matter of buying those cases with the cutouts, and then modifying them to close the holes? I'm thinking a thin piece of plastic cut to the right size and super glue might do the trick.

Kross
Oct 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
How many cases do you need? Maybe it's a matter of buying those cases with the cutouts, and then modifying them to close the holes? I'm thinking a thin piece of plastic cut to the right size and super glue might do the trick.

We agree. Our first roll-out will just need 3-5 cases. We've thought about doing this as well, and as time gets closer with no case, we are seriously considering that option, let me know if you have any success with this.

- Kross

Need good looking locking case with home button protection for SurveyOnTheSpot app for use in restaurants, retail, health clubs, etc.

Can't be "clunky!".

VESA mount or built in secure wedge mount for angled countertop portrait mode usage.

If you know of product that exists or is in development please post or contact me with PM

Thank you.

Geoff

Or maybe they could just post it so we could all get the answer =-)

Kross
Oct 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
alas, we are finishing up work on the application and I still have no case to solve my problems.

So... I will begin to contact vendors today for a custom case. if anyone has any leads for me to follow, please don't hesitate to post them here, or private message me. As always, I will keep the thread updated.

- Kross

mBox
Oct 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
... I will begin to contact vendors today for a custom case. if anyone has any leads for me to follow, please don't hesitate to post them here, or private message me. As always, I will keep the thread updated.

- KrossIts weird that I see so many case vendors but none fit your needs. Im waiting here as well to see where you end up with this.
I might have to deal with this soon too :P

Kross
Oct 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
on the right track here...

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3456/captureua.jpg (http://img818.imageshack.us/i/captureua.jpg/)

Dorkington
Oct 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
I just tried the jailbreak app... and it didn't work out so well for me.

Locked me in an app, the pop up wouldn't dismiss, and I couldn't get out. Powered off my phone and now it won't power up.

D'oh! :eek:

Edit:

Phwew... restarted. Changed the activation method, and now it's working. This will be highly useful for networking events when I want people to stay in the photo app instead of mucking about. :)

DiditzZz
Nov 11, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi I would like to join in the kiosk app for iPad discussion. I am running an interior design company in Singapore (Southeast Asia) and has just spend some of my end-of-year's business expenses on an iPad (16GB), which is SGD728 in my country. My company actively joins in local design exhibitions throughout the country, which the exhibitions are frequently held monthly. Many of other design companies use either laptops and pcs (iMac as well) to display videos of animations and design slideshows, in my case, a 17 inch MacBook Pro laptop.

Recently, the laptop's motherboard fried up and I have to spend a lot if I want to repair it (which is not a workable solution at that time considering I have just spent on an iPad). I have a windows 7 PC but clearly I cannot use that as a solution for exhibitions running monthly, so I have to come up with ways to use iPad (competitively, if this works mine will be the first company to effectively use iPad as preview solution, or so I've monitored so far).

I have been reading through the whole posts and seems like there are none that fit my need as well. I am more into these criteria:

1. Timeframe of a month (mid-December 2010 is the next exhibition)
2. Not looking into hiring developer (not sure that the discussion about 'personally creating own not-to-be-submitted-to-Apple-app for disabling iPad's buttons with password' is a workable solution within my timeframe as I have yet to discover how to develop a simple app).
3. More into case (if I were to choose between criteria number 2 or into jailbraking the iPad)
4. A preferred solution for criteria number 3 is to have it below SGD200 for a start. Kross' link on Staypad's product closely fit what I want, since I wanted for the case is the ability of the case to be locked on exhibition table, ability of the case to be an interactive wall-mounted system (in case of exhibition walls provided instead of tables), case design that disables viewers from accessing any iPad's buttons, and the multiple security measures instead of just having one security method (cables, keys, locks, altogether). Staypad fits all these descriptions, but the problem is that design is bulky, price not within range (it says USD199 but conversion would result in roughly SGD300), and not to mention do they serve international order (even if they do ship, shipping charges and delivery time is another problem for me).

I have to say thank you to Kross for updating us on this discussion. Another feedback in near future is that if you were to enquire about cases products (if you are emailing any spots that others posted to you), please ask additional information regarding price, possibility of international shipping, etc (and post it along in here). It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Samuel Edyson

Tourshd
Nov 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
I am looking to do virtual concierge in hotel lobbies. Talking with www.ipadenclosures.com and they have a new case coming in December that will be priced under $200. Their current model looks good, but I may need to purchase hundreds and need to get the price around $200. Anyone found stands that are affordable?

lsd
Jan 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hello there thread, I wanted to let you know that my new business started selling BubCap home button covers just over a week ago. Our current (patent pending) product is targeted towards keeping toddlers from pressing the home button. Complete information is at BubCap.com (http://bubcap.com).

Due to the number of inquiries we've received, we are developing a low-cost "Pro" version home button cover, intended to deter adults from pressing the home button at trade shows and similar situations. It's very similar to the existing product we sell, but uses thicker, more rigid materials. It's not quite as effective as the metal enclosures some of you have mentioned, but is probably effective enough for many. Please feel free to ask me any questions here, or contact me through the website.

Thanks,
Rob

NewbMacUser
Feb 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
So I was also looking for a secure option to my ipad in my office waiting area. I bought a metal enclosure from www.ipadenclosures.com. The ipad is locked down to my table via a mount and my patients seem to love it. They come right in and sit next to it every time. I am thinking of getting 2 more if I can get a deal on the enclosures.

yslip
Feb 10, 2011, 11:42 PM
I just found and read through this thread since it applies to my current project. Some great stuff here, but I see that Kross hasn't been heard from since October. Anyone have any updates? Kross? Anybody? ...

lsd
Feb 12, 2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think there's anything new to followers of this thread, but I wanted to point out a related blog post:
http://blog.eric.info/2011/01/using-ipads-for-mobile-test-centers

I also think this case is interesting, it blocks both the screen and the Home Button.
http://www.laptopdesk.net/crystal-ipad-folio.html?productid=crystal-ipad-folio&channelid=FROOG
I can't help but wonder if the manufacturer could customize the clear cover so that there's hole for the screen, and perhaps a screw that keeps the cover closed (requiring the right screw driver to open and gain access to the home button).

lsd
Feb 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
Interestingly, I believe the first case to achieve this goal for the iPhone is due in July. You may not have expected it to come from Fisher-Price...

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/screen-play/jeana-lee-tahnk/making-your-iphone-even-more-toddler-friendly

http://www.techlicious.com/images/family/fisher-price-ican-play-case-500px.jpg

coldmedina
Feb 20, 2011, 01:44 AM
i was going to post about this, glad there's already a good discussion going on that should be heard.

this is a must have feature in the future, someone at apple needs to read this thread (and do something about it.)

MadBunny
Jun 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
I found a lot of good ideas on this thread so I thought I'd share my solution to this problem.

One of my clients is a restaurant deploying 12 iPads for using as a wine list.

I used AVD Browse to allow the wine list to be connected to a web server but prevent the iPad from browsing away from the list.

Preventing the user from accessing the home button actually turned out pretty easy: I bought 12 Moshi iVisor AG screen protectors (it's a restaurant so, they're going to want to remove and clean the protector all the time).

Then I bought a bunch of aluminum blanks used in jewelery making - specifically black, 16mm X 16mm X 0.68mm blanks - and super-glued them over the button hole of the Moshi protector.

Then I just put the protector on the iPad. It looks good and the home button can't be pressed.

As far as we know, no customer has figured out that they can peel up the Moshi and access the home button.

Kross
Jun 27, 2011, 11:08 PM
I found a lot of good ideas on this thread so I thought I'd share my solution to this problem.

One of my clients is a restaurant deploying 12 iPads for using as a wine list.

I used AVD Browse to allow the wine list to be connected to a web server but prevent the iPad from browsing away from the list.

Preventing the user from accessing the home button actually turned out pretty easy: I bought 12 Moshi iVisor AG screen protectors (it's a restaurant so, they're going to want to remove and clean the protector all the time).

Then I bought a bunch of aluminum blanks used in jewelery making - specifically black, 16mm X 16mm X 0.68mm blanks - and super-glued them over the button hole of the Moshi protector.

Then I just put the protector on the iPad. It looks good and the home button can't be pressed.

As far as we know, no customer has figured out that they can peel up the Moshi and access the home button.

Great idea MadBunny. Do you have any pics we can see? In our trials with similiar setups, you could still mash the button, even through any protecting, such as your blanks. Is this the case?

- Kross

kjaanbutt
Jun 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
Just want to keep people from using the other applications. Also need my iPad to mount to wall or on a stand, and don't want people to steal it. Maybe there is a way to lock down an app and iPad just to do one simple task of photo viewing that the user can control?

blueroom
Jun 27, 2011, 11:17 PM
All the Apple stores now have iPads behind glass? in kiosk mode. Worth a visit to see how they're doing it.

MadBunny
Jun 29, 2011, 10:12 AM
Great idea MadBunny. Do you have any pics we can see? In our trials with similiar setups, you could still mash the button, even through any protecting, such as your blanks. Is this the case?

- Kross

They're deployed at the client so, I don't have a pic.

We couldn't press the home button - although I guess we could have if we'd applied enough force. We got to the point that it felt like we were going to break something if we pressed any harder.

Although, the first batch of blanks I bought were thin enough that I didn't even try them....I just assumed they wouldn't work and went ahead and bought the next size up, in an assortment of shapes and thickness.

They're very inexpensive so, you don't feel like you're wasting any money testing a few different ones.

dspero
Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hello All -

We have made a case for iPad's to help block home button functionality. It is available now at http://www.addycase.com. I hope you find it useful. Let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Dustin

antisbr
Jan 10, 2012, 11:59 AM

jtara: can you clarify how to go about coding this in an app? I am very interested

Blakester
Jan 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hello All -

We have made a case for iPad's to help block home button functionality. It is available now at http://www.addycase.com. I hope you find it useful. Let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Dustin

I love these! And the price is right too! But your site says not avaialble until end of February?

dspero
Jan 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
I love these! And the price is right too! But your site says not avaialble until end of February?

Yes, unfortunately we are having some manufacturer issues. I'm glad you like them! Please keep checking our site, or follow us on twitter for the latest updates. @addycase

Thank you!

shines
Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
I know its late in the thread... but for anyone looking for a case check out the following:
http://www.ipadenclosures.com/ipad_kiosk_enclosure
shines

cawas
May 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
How about disabling the home button until a reboot? It can be done without jailbreaking: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5011774/lock-down-iphone-ipod-ipad-so-it-can-only-run-one-app/8994690#8994690 :)

dspero
Aug 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
The AddyCase is readily available now for those of you asking. www.addycase.com