PDA

View Full Version : MacGadget.de: New iBooks next Tuesday!

Zaty
Oct 15, 2004, 09:37 AM
According to German Mac news site MacGadget.de, Apple will introduce new iBooks next Tuesday. They also say that new revision will just be speed bump but prices will be lowered. The new models will be available from next Tuesday

Link: (in German)

http://www.macgadget.de/

I personally think Apple will update PBs first or at least at the same time. Unless we'll see a much improved PB revision in the next couple of weeks which seems unlikely.

Zaty
Oct 15, 2004, 09:50 AM

rosalindavenue
Oct 15, 2004, 10:29 AM
16:20 o'clock) new one iBooks on Tuesday. After MacGadget Apple will present available information on coming Tuesday a revised iBook G4-Produktreihe. Apart from the usual technical improvements in the context of a speed Bumps also price reductions for all three iBook G4-Modelle are intended. The improved iBooks are to be already delivered in the coming week at dealers and Distributoren. (sw) -

willmg
Oct 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
Could they really afford to bump the ibooks up even to the low end PB 1.33, without doing anyting to the PBs????????? Also what about Tiger compatibility, without a 64mb vid card they cant do core image. Seems like a waste of an update if all they do is go drom 1/1.2 to 1.25/1.33 or some such thing.

belair
Oct 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
Feeling stupid
Next week already! and they will be available staight away…I bought mine this week thinking that it would be a couple of weeks till they make it to the shops, but 1 week is hard to take.

The price drop should be really intersting tough. A little gain in speed an cheaper is going to make the ibook even more appealing to all those ipod owners that want to buy their first mac.

Price is always an issue.

TDM21
Oct 15, 2004, 10:54 AM
So if the iBook does get a speed bump it will be almost the equivalent to the 12" PB and low-end 15" PB. The only difference would be the video card and maybe the bus speed. At a lower price, I believe 12" pb sales would drop. Why buy a laptop for $1599 when you can buy one almost exactly the same at $1299. I say Apple will have to update the Pb before, or almost the same time before a iBook comes out.

But this is just my opinion.

stoid
Oct 15, 2004, 10:59 AM
So if the iBook does get a speed bump it will be almost the equivalent to the 12" PB and low-end 15" PB. The only difference would be the video card and maybe the bus speed. At a lower price, I believe 12" pb sales would drop. Why buy a laptop for $1599 when you can buy one almost exactly the same at $1299. I say Apple will have to update the Pb before, or almost the same time before a iBook comes out.

But this is just my opinion.

The PowerBook is far more attractive and business looking machine. Plus it has monitor spanning, and that is very useful for a ultra-portable professional grade machine. Back-lit keyboards, and FW800 too. Certainly iBooks of that caliber would steal a few PowerBook customers, but I think that the 12 inch pBook still has some sway.

belair
Oct 15, 2004, 11:03 AM
Hmm, you guys are right about that one.
The question is can apple update the Pb? are the dualcore chips ready or can Motorolla push their G4 over the 1,5 mhz mark? If the Pb can be updated the ibook will be updated as well.

Maybe they are just gonna change the graphics card for the ibooks (prepare them for Tiger) and give it a bigger HD and make it airport express ready, just give it more extras if they can't push the processor speed.

abhishekit
Oct 15, 2004, 11:20 AM
Speed bump AND a price drop!!! wow, that would surely close the gap between pb and iBook if they do not update pb also.
I don't think there would be a price drop. Thats too much advantage to the iBook.

slooksterPSV
Oct 15, 2004, 11:28 AM
If they drop the price on an IB I'd buy one, I love the look and size of them. Its just perfect. If they lowered it to $899, that'd be perfect.

Doraemon
Oct 15, 2004, 11:43 AM
The PowerBook is far more attractive and business looking machine. Plus it has monitor spanning, and that is very useful for a ultra-portable professional grade machine.

I disagree. The 12-inch PowerBook always was and always will be too close to the iBook and hence have a terrible price/value ratio. 200 MHz more? Who cares? Better graphics card? Only that it allows monitor spanning. And in how far is it more professional than the iBook? Because it has an aluminum enclosure? That's not good enough.
And so little better features for a much higher price.

Back-lit keyboards <snip>

No. Not on the 12-inch.

Certainly iBooks of that caliber would steal a few PowerBook customers, but I think that the 12 inch pBook still has some sway.

I disagree again. I think the 12-inch will be discontinued soon and replaced by perhaps a 13-inch model.

stevehaslip
Oct 15, 2004, 11:50 AM
lowering the price is always a good thing! i still think there is some difference between the current iBook and Powerbook. Even if they update the iBook to nearly the same specs as the Powerbook then there are still differences, the Powerbook looks alot better just for starters. (not that i'm trying to bash iBooks but if you ask me they looked ALOT better when they had the see through shell with the painted interior.) The all white plastic that they use now looks kinda cheap compared to the Powerbook. I know you are getting alot of bang for your buck and that not everyone wants monitor spanning etc but there still is some difference between the two.

If Apple do update the iBook and not the Powerbook then Powerbook updates can't be far behind. If they do then I will expect Powerbook updates within a couple of weeks for sure. Especially if they update the graphics cards as well, how could they not when this iBook will still be on sale when Tiger is expected to be released?

vga4life
Oct 15, 2004, 12:00 PM
I disagree. The 12-inch PowerBook always was and always will be too close to the iBook and hence have a terrible price/value ratio. 200 MHz more? Who cares? Better graphics card? Only that it allows monitor spanning. And in how far is it more professional than the iBook? Because it has an aluminum enclosure? That's not good enough.
And so little better features for a much higher price.

Really? I think the combo-drive 12" PB at edu or refurb pricing is a much better value than the ibook.

33% faster CPU. Faster bus (this makes the most difference on G4's). A much better video card (twice the RAM, CoreImage supported, better OpenGL performance, DVI out). Airport Extreme and Bluetooth standard. Bigger HD. Better resale value. At $1349 or $1399, I think the 12" PB is a much better deal than a much slower Airport-less CoreImage-unsupported iBook for a few hundred less.

-vga4life

lasuther
Oct 15, 2004, 12:06 PM
If you want a Superdrive in a small laptop, the 12" PB is the way to go. The 14" iBook makes no sense to me.

lasuther

djkny
Oct 15, 2004, 12:07 PM
Just sold my old PB. I BADLY need a PB soon, and am hoping updates do come in the next couple of weeks...