PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 SIM and pre-order confusion

danistyping
Jun 8, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hey guys,

Most of you are probably better with this stuff than me, so please try not to be frustrated by my lack of understanding. Keep in mind two things: I have an iPhone 3G, and I am eligible for an upgrade.

1. Since iphones are moving to micro-sim, and I have a 3G with a regular sim, will I need to go to AT&T to update my sim first?

2. Do I pre-order through AT&T or Apple? Or either one? And would I get the new SIM and upgrade discount if I go through Apple?

I've never done this before. Any info pertaining to the above would be huge. Thanks!

djransom
Jun 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
The iPhone will include the new SIM and you will activate the iPhone via iTunes in which your information will simply transfer from the old SIM to the new micro SIM. You can preorder through either company as the discount applies to both.

danistyping
Jun 8, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks! Safe to assume I'll be able to backup my 3g on iTunes and restore the iPhone 4 from that backup?

Also - if I preorder - I am garanteed to get the phone on the release date, right?

djransom
Jun 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks! Safe to assume I'll be able to backup my 3g on iTunes and restore the iPhone 4 from that backup?

Also - if I preorder - I am garanteed to get the phone on the release date, right?

Yes you can restore from a previous backup. If you preorder to have it delivered then yes you will have it on the 24th. If you choose to pick it up then you pick it up from Apple on the 24th, but you have to wait till the 25th with AT&T.