PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Beach, CA - Manhattan Village Mall iPhone 4

chrmjenkins
Jun 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well, right now it looks like my wife and I will be there for the iPhone 4 launch to get her a phone. I'll be holding onto my nexus one for a little while before I decide size and color. We were also there for the 3G launch two years ago (but not the 3GS launch). Anyone else going to be there?

synystergates7
Jun 16, 2010, 04:09 PM
I will. I don't know what time I'll show though. Probably 5AM or so

chrmjenkins
Jun 16, 2010, 04:22 PM
I will. I don't know what time I'll show though. Probably 5AM or so

I was beginning to wonder if there would be any replies. My wife and I will likely get there pretty early, maybe even midnight for the hell of it :o She'll not be going into work, and I can handle the lack of sleep.

rstark18
Jun 18, 2010, 03:24 AM
Do you think there will be much of a line at this store? I have a pre-order and won't be there until opening (7am). How was this location during the other releases. I seem to remember driving by during one of them and seeing a small line but nothing insane.

RTiii320
Jun 18, 2010, 05:09 AM
I am curious as too how this store is as well, it is indoors correct? so will they let you camp outside the store, or outside the mall if you arrive at midnight as you might do. I live in Long Beach, and am desperately trying to find a store that I can camp out in front of over night. Do you have any knowledge on how the camp out work there? Heck I'd like to meet you there at midnight if I know I'd have some fellow Macrumors affiliates to talk to!:D

Bakakage
Jun 18, 2010, 05:18 AM
I went to Pasadena last year for the 3GS and I'm thinking of going to Manhattan instead to switch it up. I'll be camping out at around 12 am, what about you guys?

naco
Jun 18, 2010, 06:58 AM
If any of you end up getting helped by Felipe, be sure to give him a hi-5!! He's a GIANT Apple nerd and a cool guy to chat specs with :apple:

chrmjenkins
Jun 18, 2010, 10:57 AM
Do you think there will be much of a line at this store? I have a pre-order and won't be there until opening (7am). How was this location during the other releases. I seem to remember driving by during one of them and seeing a small line but nothing insane.

At the 3G launch, by the time the store opened, the line was wrapped around the side to the back of the mall facing the theater. My guess is that's at least 100 people to there, probably closer to 150-200.

I am curious as too how this store is as well, it is indoors correct? so will they let you camp outside the store, or outside the mall if you arrive at midnight as you might do. I live in Long Beach, and am desperately trying to find a store that I can camp out in front of over night. Do you have any knowledge on how the camp out work there? Heck I'd like to meet you there at midnight if I know I'd have some fellow Macrumors affiliates to talk to!:D

The store is indoors, but we'll have to wait outside the mall, just outside the glass doors. The apple store is a very short distance inside the mall. Midnight is probably our earliest. I think we got there around 3 to 5 am at 3G launch, but we'll definitely be earlier this year, equipped with 3G iPad and DS/PSP to pass the time :D If you want to be in front of a store itself, you could go to 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica, but that'll be a madhouse.

I went to Pasadena last year for the 3GS and I'm thinking of going to Manhattan instead to switch it up. I'll be camping out at around 12 am, what about you guys?

We'll probably be pretty close to that time.

If any of you end up getting helped by Felipe, be sure to give him a hi-5!! He's a GIANT Apple nerd and a cool guy to chat specs with :apple:

Haha, who should we say hi from?

abijnk
Jun 18, 2010, 11:34 AM
For the 3G launch two years ago there was a small kerfuffle with the security at Manhattan Beach, remember Chris? People we trying to line up really really early, but they told them they had to leave and come back at a different time. This year I'm just going to play dumb and show up whenever I want to.

rstark18
Jun 18, 2010, 12:25 PM
Well here is a better question (for me). Around what time does the line start shrinking? I really don't feel like sitting in line for hours. I really should've had it delivered but I have to go to a graduation at 6pm that night and I usually get FedEx around that time so I wouldn't be there to sign. So what time would be safe to get the phone but yet get me out of there before 5pm?

abijnk
Jun 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
Well here is a better question (for me). Around what time does the line start shrinking? I really don't feel like sitting in line for hours. I really should've had it delivered but I have to go to a graduation at 6pm that night and I usually get FedEx around that time so I wouldn't be there to sign. So what time would be safe to get the phone but yet get me out of there before 5pm?

Based on past experience, what they do is have the line outside (if needed), and then a small holding area inside the mall right outside the store. I'd say by around 2-3 you'd probably be ok to get to the store and have the line only be in the holding area, but the only way to really know is to just go see what's up. You can also check this thread, as Chris (the OP) and I will probably be posting with what the turn out looks like.

Personally, I think people are going to be a bit surprised with how large the lines are. This is one hell of a refresh.

rstark18
Jun 18, 2010, 01:34 PM
Based on past experience, what they do is have the line outside (if needed), and then a small holding area inside the mall right outside the store. I'd say by around 2-3 you'd probably be ok to get to the store and have the line only be in the holding area, but the only way to really know is to just go see what's up. You can also check this thread, as Chris (the OP) and I will probably be posting with what the turn out looks like.

Personally, I think people are going to be a bit surprised with how large the lines are. This is one hell of a refresh.

Thanks Abbie. I will be watching this thread.

Bakakage
Jun 18, 2010, 02:33 PM
For those going earlier then 12am let us know when the lines start forming.

naco
Jun 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
Haha, who should we say hi from?

I was just saying give him a hi-5 in general because he is as excited as we are about anything new from Apple haha. He flipped when he saw what the new Mac Mini looked like. He even went pretty bonkers over the Magic Mouse when it came out.

But in any case, Nick Acosta says "woooohoooooo!!!" as I get mine from the Santa Monica Store haha

Cameron38
Jun 18, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'm going to be there.. but no way before 6am or so. I don't see the value at getting there at 12am if you have a reservation. You're going to get a phone unless you waltz in there at 5pm...

I talked to one of the MB sales guys.. he wouldn't guaranty a phone if I arrived after work, but he certainly implied there was no need to be there at 7am if they have you down for a reservation (which they did).

How many of you people saying you are going to arrive in the middle of the night have NO reservation?

Bakakage
Jun 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm going to be there.. but no way before 6am or so. I don't see the value at getting there at 12am if you have a reservation. You're going to get a phone unless you waltz in there at 5pm...

I talked to one of the MB sales guys.. he wouldn't guaranty a phone if I arrived after work, but he certainly implied there was no need to be there at 7am if they have you down for a reservation (which they did).

How many of you people saying you are going to arrive in the middle of the night have NO reservation?
I don't have a reservation so I'm arriving at midnight. It is also my first camp out too so I'm doing it for the experience as well.

shannieb77
Jun 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
I am thinking midnight!

naco
Jun 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'd advise anyone who pre ordered to get there early. Last year there were problems with orders not going through on Apple's side. The customer got the email and everything, but they were not on the list of pre orders. So they then had to go to the back of the non line.

Flay
Jun 18, 2010, 08:32 PM
I was there for the iPad launch at the Manhattan Beach store. I got there about an hour before the store opened and there were about 150 people in line. The line for the people with reservations and the people without is exactly the same. Basically, they took about 10 to 15 people with reservations in along with 2 to 3 people without reservations at a time.

If you don't have a reservation, I would recommend arriving very early. As I was walking out with my iPad about an hour after the store opened, there were reservation-less people still at the front of the line who had been there since very early that morning.

I have a reservation, so I'm thinking about 6 a.m. or so. If I can get out of there by 8 a.m. to head to work, I'll be fine.

Cameron38
Jun 18, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm right there with you Flay.. arrive about 6 and get to work as soon as possible. This is going to take longer than iPads because of the Activiation time. If it becomes an all morning affair I will just have to call in 1/2 day vacation...

mickswagger
Jun 18, 2010, 10:13 PM
woow i did not know its gonna be this crazy at the manhattan village apple but i guess ill be seeing you guys around midnight and quick question if i have it on preorder do i still have to be there early in line?

synystergates7
Jun 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'd advise anyone who pre ordered to get there early. Last year there were problems with orders not going through on Apple's side. The customer got the email and everything, but they were not on the list of pre orders. So they then had to go to the back of the non line.

That is the predicament I'm in. I wasn't on the reservation list, but I got the reservation email. I guess through all the mess on Tuesday, I apparently made 2 reservations and they both were canceled. So I called the store and spoke to the manager and he's taking care of me. He made a note on my account about how we spoke and he said I'll have a phone waiting for me. But I will still try to get out to the store pretty early.

On 3G release day I remember the line being outside and I arrived and was able to get a spot right before the line turned around the corner of Macy's. That was a pretty long wait. I think it was 3 hours or so.

See you guys there and hope everyone in this thread keeps us updated.

naco
Jun 19, 2010, 02:45 AM
That is the predicament I'm in. I wasn't on the reservation list, but I got the reservation email. I guess through all the mess on Tuesday, I apparently made 2 reservations and they both were canceled. So I called the store and spoke to the manager and he's taking care of me. He made a note on my account about how we spoke and he said I'll have a phone waiting for me. But I will still try to get out to the store pretty early.

I was in the opposite for 3G S day. I had ordered but never received an email about it. Luckily, I was on the list.

I guess I'll have to make a trip to my store and see if mine went through.

bigtallguy
Jun 19, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yea, I'll be there on Thursday too. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst though. This is a fairly big upgrade from the previous iPhone so I'm expecting a lot of people to show up for the release, I do have one on reservation though, so I'm not too worried, just don't want the line to take all day.

From what I've heard and read, the Manhattan Beach store is not anywhere near as bad as the bigger ones in LA. So I'm hoping everyone is right about that.:rolleyes:

Cameron38
Jun 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
I hope those of you arriving at midnight have strong bladders LOL No outside bathrooms at the MB Mall.

abijnk
Jun 19, 2010, 06:21 PM
I hope those of you arriving at midnight have strong bladders LOL No outside bathrooms at the MB Mall.

No, but there are couple of gas stations close and people are cool about letting you back in your spot.

rstark18
Jun 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
For those with experience with iPhone launches, how long of a wait is it from the longest point in line (I've heard far side of Macy's near the theater) to when you get in the store? I'm looking at showing up around 8 or 9 and figure the line will probably be at it's longest at that point. I'm hoping no more than a couple hours. Does that sound about right? Or is my best bet since I can't get there early to just wait until 11 or 12 and the line will be shorter?

bigtallguy
Jun 19, 2010, 09:38 PM
For those with experience with iPhone launches, how long of a wait is it from the longest point in line (I've heard far side of Macy's near the theater) to when you get in the store? I'm looking at showing up around 8 or 9 and figure the line will probably be at it's longest at that point. I'm hoping no more than a couple hours. Does that sound about right? Or is my best bet since I can't get there early to just wait until 11 or 12 and the line will be shorter?

I heard that the lines are usually longest around opening-10am (people trying to get there before work), around lunch (people on their lunch break), and 5pm-closing (people getting off work) so any time in between those should be good. unfortunately I'm one of those people that has to work around my work schedule on Thursday so I'm picking the early slot. haha.

Another question about Manhattan Beach Village Mall for launches like this one coming up and ones in the past. What time are people allowed to start getting lined up? I asked an Apple "genius" and she said that people arent allowed to line up till 6am, security wont let anyone before then. I thought this was weird so i asked another person and they said whenever. Anyone else know anything about this?

cisko213
Jun 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
Who is bringing breakfast??? And is anybody willing to sell their old iPhone. I'm giving my old phone to my kid to play with but I have another kid and if I don't have two it will be mma in the house.

ashik
Jun 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
My issue is that i actually pre-ordered mine, but of course with all the website's meltdown i wasn't able to get through until around 8 pm but by then my shipping date said July 2nd (arrives around the 6ish) (I died)

But anyway, as the launch day gets closer and closer, i'm really tempted to see if i should just camp out also and see if i can get one on release day = [
but
1) im scared they won't have enough phones for people without reservation and that i stayed out there all night
2) Them telling me i can't upgrade because i already have one pre-ordered or something. (although i guess i could just cancel the pre-order if i am able to get one then and there)

This is horrible, but i know i'm going to be completely bitter hearing everyone talk about their new iphones and yada yada if i end up waiting for my pre-ordered one, ugh = [

levanhieu
Jun 21, 2010, 01:11 AM
No, but there are couple of gas stations close and people are cool about letting you back in your spot.

ah that sounds great. I couldnt convince any of my friends to go early with me to the store and was afraid I would lose my spot in line. Hopefully people will be friendly cause this is my first iphone launch.

I was hoping to start a new account with at&t for my parents as a family plan, then get them both iphone 4s. do you guys think they will allow me to do that and get my iphone that i preordered? I got really lucky and woke up at 2am on june 15th and checked the apple site and was able to get my preorder in without any problems.

for anyone who wants to confirm whether the store has your reservation, you can just use the apple store app and check (assuming you already have an iphone), you dont need to go to the apple store.

you guys got any advice on what to bring to the launch?
also, if security wont allow people to start lining up yet, can we still park near the mall entrance and wait? or will they make us leave the parking lot too?

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
Chris and I will be stopping by the mall today immediately after work (which is next to LAX) to talk to Apple employees and mall security. I will post what we find out!

Also, we will be wearing Apple themed shirts per our usual, me in a red apple heart logo and chris with a beach ball of death. Feel free to say hi! We love meeting Macrumors peeps! This is my 4th launch, Chris's third, so we are starting to become old pros. :)

levanhieu
Jun 23, 2010, 08:53 AM
Chris and I will be stopping by the mall today immediately after work (which is next to LAX) to talk to Apple employees and mall security. I will post what we find out!

Also, we will be wearing Apple themed shirts per our usual, me in a red apple heart logo and chris with a beach ball of death. Feel free to say hi! We love meeting Macrumors peeps! This is my 4th launch, Chris's third, so we are starting to become old pros. :)

Sounds great. Where will people stay if they cant camp overnight? I called the mall's security directly and they said they wouldnt allow people to camp overnight or park at the mall at all until it was time to line up (whenever that is).

Hopefully you find more details later today.

ashik
Jun 23, 2010, 09:19 AM
Damn i'm so stoked. I'm supposed to be going to some bar in Torrance and my friends are gonna be making fun of me for wanting to leave early to go stand in line! I can already imagine I'm going to be soooooo anxiouuussss :(

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 10:21 AM
I actually have a reservation for there as well as my local BB. If my BB pre-order falls through (I'm #3 in line) then I'll keep it, if not, I wouldn't have a problem giving my reservation to someone. I'm hearing they don't let you in the store to buy cases that day and that's my aim if BB has my phone.

levanhieu
Jun 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
I actually have a reservation for there as well as my local BB. If my BB pre-order falls through (I'm #3 in line) then I'll keep it, if not, I wouldn't have a problem giving my reservation to someone. I'm hearing they don't let you in the store to buy cases that day and that's my aim if BB has my phone.

hmm...how can you give your reservation to someone when it is tied to your name and At&t account?

ashik
Jun 23, 2010, 10:38 AM

Do you mean you heard BB saying they will not be letting you buy cases? Or apple store? If you meant BB, I work there and haven't heard anything like that.

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 10:41 AM
hmm...how can you give your reservation to someone when it is tied to your name and At&t account?

No idea I've heard people talk about giving it away..besides when I put in my reservation it didn't pull up my account info. I just figured it would be a nice gesture to help a MR person out that wasn't able to get a reserve in. In the event that mine falls through of course. Since I wanted to drive down there regardless to take a look at the cases.

Do you mean you heard BB saying they will not be letting you buy cases? Or apple store? If you meant BB, I work there and haven't heard anything like that.

I was talking about the Apple Store.

levanhieu
Jun 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
No idea I've heard people talk about giving it away..besides when I put in my reservation it didn't pull up my account info. I just figured it would be a nice gesture to help a MR person out that wasn't able to get a reserve in. In the event that mine falls through of course. Since I wanted to drive down there regardless to take a look at the cases.

Yeah i have heard about it also. People have been trying to sell their reservations on ebay.

When I made a reservation on the apple website, it verified my At&t account, and i think it also connects with my apple account. if you go to the apple store app, and go to the manhatten village store, then click reservations, it will show that you have a reservation there (if you really do). So im assuming the app knows because it looks at your apple account. Either way, it will be interesting to see how people can transfer their reservation to someone else.

Also im hoping that people dont cut in line tomorrow. This is my first launch, and im not sure what to expect.

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
Kind of an update, my BB called me now and I'm in the process of setting up my appointment there. I also called an Apple Store and they said that I'd be able to give my reserved iPhone to someone I would just have to be there with the account holder of whoever gets it. It's only a 16g but it's better than nothing.

Cameron38
Jun 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
For those of you without reservations, I'm assuming that they will do the same as the last launch. Employees coming out between 6 and 7am and handing out slips of paper showing you get a phone. When the slips are gone, you're out. You can go home without wasting anymore time...

chrmjenkins
Jun 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds great. Where will people stay if they cant camp overnight? I called the mall's security directly and they said they wouldnt allow people to camp overnight or park at the mall at all until it was time to line up (whenever that is).

Hopefully you find more details later today.

Yay, gotta love vague answers. When we were there for the 3G, I think I recall people saying that they got there at 3 AM (my memory is a little fuzzy). Point is, there's some point at which they're not going to care.

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah i have heard about it also. People have been trying to sell their reservations on ebay.

When I made a reservation on the apple website, it verified my At&t account, and i think it also connects with my apple account. if you go to the apple store app, and go to the manhatten village store, then click reservations, it will show that you have a reservation there (if you really do). So im assuming the app knows because it looks at your apple account. Either way, it will be interesting to see how people can transfer their reservation to someone else.

Also im hoping that people dont cut in line tomorrow. This is my first launch, and im not sure what to expect.

Yeah I've seen the people selling them on Ebay & Craigslist that's pretty lame if you ask me. Since I have my 16g iPhone at my BB which will be waiting for me at 10:30 I've been trying to pass my reserve onto someone else. I wasn't even trying to get money for it I just wanted to see if I'd be able to go in and buy a Hard Candy case if they had any there so I wouldn't have to pay shipping lol and then wait for it.

sslanchi
Jun 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
hey Krook i'd love to take that reservation off your hands..but how would that work? we'd have to wait together?

CmnMrkt
Jun 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
Wasssssup to all my Long Beach people! What time you guys plan on leaving/arriving at MB?

sslanchi
Jun 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
been very curious as to what time mall security will allow a line to form...

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
hey Krook i'd love to take that reservation off your hands..but how would that work? we'd have to wait together?

Yeah I think so, I'll probably go down there a little after 11ish since my appointment is at 10:30 w/ BB. I'd just have to be there with you more or less. Might even be able to just switch the name and the email on the reserve..who knows. Their phone wait time is somewhere in the range of yeah right and next year right now lol.

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
been very curious as to what time mall security will allow a line to form...

For the 3G is was at 3am. I'll be asking them in person in just a few hours!!!

terramar
Jun 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Does anyone have an extra Apple Store reservation for a 32GB iPhone4?

Looks like Best Buy is not coming through - at least that's my impression after getting a complete run-around trying to talk to anyone over there.

Thanks-

Tom

thefugitivemind
Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 PM
so ill prob be there around 530a I have a reservation, recieved the email and the apple store app says I have a reservation, so i think im covered.

i need to be in a work by 9 which is down the street so hopefully it can happen.

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
Security and store manager are telling people 6, maybe 5:30. I told him that's completely unrealistic... We are going to start checking in around midnight and will be jumping in when we see other people trying. If security runs us off, we will come back in a couple hours and try again.

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
Security and store manager are telling people 6, maybe 5:30. I told him that's completely unrealistic... We are going to start checking in around midnight and will be jumping in when we see other people trying. If security runs us off, we will come back in a couple hours and try again.

Told me the same thing. I don't see that working out too well. People are going to be lining up regardless, and like you said, if security tells people to leave, they will just come back a little later and do it all over again.

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
Told me the same thing. I don't see that working out too well. People are going to be lining up regardless, and like you said, if security tells people to leave, they will just come back a little later and do it all over again.

There are already 3 or 4 people there. I'm expecting they will cave around 3-4.

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 07:32 PM
As I'm in line I'll be posting estimated numbers of people that are in line to my twitter account then when it gets light enough I'll post up some pictures of the line as proof of the numbers of people in line. If other people want to do the same that would be cool. Anyone who is willing just post a link to your twitter account in this forum and we can all follow up on what the line is looking like as the night goes on. Mine is http://twitter.com/bigtallguy

thefugitivemind
Jun 23, 2010, 07:42 PM
sounds good! ill be following you on twitter!

ashik
Jun 23, 2010, 08:01 PM
As I'm in line I'll be posting estimated numbers of people that are in line to my twitter account then when it gets light enough I'll post up some pictures of the line as proof of the numbers of people in line. If other people want to do the same that would be cool. Anyone who is willing just post a link to your twitter account in this forum and we can all follow up on what the line is looking like as the night goes on. Mine is http://twitter.com/bigtallguy

Doood are you there already? Or around what time are you going to head over there??

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
Doood are you there already? Or around what time are you going to head over there??

No I'm not there yet. Haven't completely decided when though.

Echthros
Jun 23, 2010, 08:10 PM
I called Manhattan Beach Apple earlier in day and asked them about their iPhones reserved for walk-ins. The man replied by saying that their store doesn't have any iPhone 4's for walk-ins whatsoever, which left me dumbstruck as I heard all stores selling iPhones, especially Apple itself, will set aside several iPhones for walk-in customers.

Is it worth it to trust the guy or should I test my luck and drop by whenever security begins to allow customers to line up and hope for an iPhone?

levanhieu
Jun 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
I called Manhattan Beach Apple earlier in day and asked them about their iPhones reserved for walk-ins. The man replied by saying that their store doesn't have any iPhone 4's for walk-ins whatsoever, which left me dumbstruck as I heard all stores selling iPhones, especially Apple itself, will set aside several iPhones for walk-in customers.

Is it worth it to trust the guy or should I test my luck and drop by whenever security begins to allow customers to line up and hope for an iPhone?

Damn icalled yesterday and the guytold me that there will be very limited suppliesfor walk ins. So I think if u really want one now u should take a chance. Or try lining up at walmart or something as they are selling phones without any reservations.

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 08:22 PM
Damn icalled yesterday and the guytold me that there will be very limited suppliesfor walk ins. So I think if u really want one now u should take a chance. Or try lining up at walmart or something as they are selling phones without any reservations.

+1

I heard the same thing, VERY limited supply. It's up to you man, but I know I'd be super pissed to wait in line all night only to be turned away if they didn't have enough.

rstark18
Jun 23, 2010, 09:00 PM

Btw, your tweets are blocked.

kr00k322
Jun 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
Wasssssup to all my Long Beach people! What time you guys plan on leaving/arriving at MB?

Hey what's up. I think I might go there at like 11:30-12:00p somewhere in that area, I'll have my phone by then so I'd just hope for a case.

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
Btw, your tweets are blocked.

Thanks for letting me know. It's unlocked now.

golten
Jun 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'll be there at midnight, last time i did this was 530am 1st iPhone Providence Place Mall, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations:o

CmnMrkt
Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
Big ups to bigtallguy for the Twitter, keep us updated man...

sslanchi
Jun 23, 2010, 10:09 PM

Huh? Srs?

applextrent
Jun 23, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm on the fence right now whether to try and show up at this store. It timed out every time I tried to pre-order before it was too late. I was thinking of showing up around midnight as well. I called earlier today and the woman on the phone told me security wont let people line up until maybe 5:30am, but she wasn't sure. If hundreds of us are going to show up at midnight I'm not sure what they can do.

I'm a bit worried with the reports they'll have minimal stock for people without pre-orders. I'll probably drive down there anyway around 11:30pm/midnight and check it out.

I'll try to post on this forum from my 3GS and I'll post on Twitter as well http://twitter.com/trentlapinski. If there's too many people or security issues I may just bail if I don't think there's a good chance I'll get a phone but will report what I do find when I get there, and can update regularly if I stay.

bigtallguy
Jun 23, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm on the fence right now whether to try and show up at this store. It timed out every time I tried to pre-order before it was too late. I was thinking of showing up around midnight as well. I called earlier today and the woman on the phone told me security wont let people line up until maybe 5:30am, but she wasn't sure. If hundreds of us are going to show up at midnight I'm not sure what they can do.

I'm a bit worried with the reports they'll have minimal stock for people without pre-orders. I'll probably drive down there anyway around 11:30pm/midnight and check it out.

I'll try to post on this forum from my 3GS and I'll post on Twitter as well http://twitter.com/trentlapinski. If there's too many people or security issues I may just bail if I don't think there's a good chance I'll get a phone but will report what I do find when I get there, and can update regularly if I stay.

Do you have one on reserve or are you trying to get one without?

applextrent
Jun 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
Without a reservation.

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 PM

I don't buy that. I spoke w/ mall security and the store manager earlier and he indicated no such thing.

Echthros
Jun 23, 2010, 10:41 PM
I don't buy that. I spoke w/ mall security and the store manager earlier and he indicated no such thing.
Possibly the employees are misinformed? I doubt the manager was the person who picked up the phone.

I'm just going to head on to Cerritos to try my luck with the countless, avid Apple fans there.

blackc12ovv
Jun 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has updated recently about the line. But I'm at Thea apple store on one of their ipads. And there was a note at the entrance that said lines will not be allowed until 6 am... I will do what others have said... Wait around until I see people line up and rush to the line. I have the sot right in front of the doors :)...I think if they let people assemble it would be a lot more "peaceful"... Instead people are going to rush and feel bitter if they are just one spot away from a spot they would have gotten if they ran just a little but faster than the person in front of them. Let's keep it classy ladies and gentleman :) happy camping to all.

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 10:48 PM
Possibly the employees are misinformed? I doubt the manager was the person who picked up the phone.

I'm just going to head on to Cerritos to try my luck with the countless, avid Apple fans there.

Just to clarify, but I was there in person speaking with the manager, not on the phone.

I'm not sure if anyone else has updated recently about the line. But I'm at Thea apple store on one of their ipads. And there was a note at the entrance that said lines will not be allowed until 6 am... I will do what others have said... Wait around until I see people line up and rush to the line. I have the sot right in front of the doors :)...I think if they let people assemble it would be a lot more "peaceful"... Instead people are going to rush and feel bitter if they are just one spot away from a spot they would have gotten if they ran just a little but faster than the person in front of them. Let's keep it classy ladies and gentleman :) happy camping to all.

Yup, we just drove by about 30 minutes ago. Keep us updated!!!

mark renton
Jun 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
Just spoke with Apple store guy. Are you guys going to wait in the car till 6 am? Is the parking open 24h? Please advise.

sslanchi
Jun 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
Just spoke with Apple store guy. Are you guys going to wait in the car till 6 am? Is the parking open 24h? Please advise.

Well.. What did he say??

bigtallguy
Jun 24, 2010, 12:04 AM
Well.. What did he say??

I'd like to know too.

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 12:34 AM
How early are folks w/ reservations going there?

levanhieu
Jun 24, 2010, 12:47 AM
How early are folks w/ reservations going there?

ill probably be there at 3am. although it depends on what people are saying in the forums. if someone reports that they are allowing people to line up earlier, then ill try to get here earlier. i cant freaking sleep anyways with this launch looming like this. ugh.

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 01:01 AM
ill probably be there at 3am. although it depends on what people are saying in the forums. if someone reports that they are allowing people to line up earlier, then ill try to get here earlier. i cant freaking sleep anyways with this launch looming like this. ugh.

Wow - that early? I thought the reservation line would start much later - like 6 AM... I'll probably be there around 6 AM and hope it doesn't take too long to get mine.

applextrent
Jun 24, 2010, 01:01 AM
Packing up my backpack to head out. Will let you guys know what I find out when I get there.

Again, you can follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/trentlapinski and I will try and post here.

I'm wearing an Apple beanie, a Mac geek shirt, a green jacket, and jeans. Feel free to say hi.

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 01:32 AM
Has anyone been able to figure out just about how many iPhones Manhattan Beach Apple will be reserving for walk-ins?

I keep hearing very limited to none, but is anyone able to verify?

applextrent
Jun 24, 2010, 02:08 AM
It's 12:06 pm pst and there's about 60-80 people here already, single line out front. No security present so far. No word on availability.

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 02:17 AM
It's 12:06 pm pst and there's about 60-80 people here already, single line out front. No security present so far. No word on availability.

Appreciate the updates. Twitter is awesome for things like this.

applextrent
Jun 24, 2010, 04:19 AM
Line is now wrapped around Macys, over 200+ people here now.

No security, police, or Apple employees. Peaceful crowd.

Not too many people showing up right now, but line is slowly growing. In a few hours I imagine this will double.

Twitter.com/trentlapinski for pics and more info.

synystergates
Jun 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
any news on when the line will split into reserved and walk in?

ChristinaMinxx
Jun 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
is there anything close??? cvs, ralphs and chevron are all closed...

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 05:59 AM
any news on when the line will split into reserved and walk in?

Was wondering the same myself. Probably when the Apple store employees come in - may be around 6 - 6:30?

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 06:05 AM
In line now behind like 500 people. Pissed at myself for taking security at face value. Live and learn...

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 07:32 AM
Folks in line - how's it looking now? Still one line or two lines?

Stay hydrated - I just heard that someone passed out in the Austin line.

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 08:12 AM
What's your feeling, do most people have a reservation or not?

CmnMrkt
Jun 24, 2010, 08:12 AM
Just got here and the line is wrapped to the back street of Macy's - that's where I'm at, lol...

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 08:33 AM
Beginning to think that it's not worth it anymore...I'll take my chances with my reservation later

Juin21
Jun 24, 2010, 08:39 AM

Were you one of the original 7 peeps waiting in line yesterday at 4:30 pm?

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 10:42 AM
just passed by to see how long the line is. It's down toward THE MARRIOTT!!! I called to see how the line is supposed to work (and actually got through in a couple of minutes). They said one line that gets split near the door and taking more reservations than non reservations. That means if I go down now and stand in the back of the line the non reservations will be ahead of me and not moving and I'll just be sitting there. They should really have two lines. OR I should have had it delivered. I definitely know for next time. I have a good book and a chair and will be sitting at the back for a LLLLOOOONNNGGG time. Heading out now (8:45am).

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah line is way too long, they should have had two. But I talked to the employee and she said as long as I have a reservation I will get it for sure by 9pm. So I will get there later today.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah line is way too long, they should have had two. But I talked to the employee and she said as long as I have a reservation I will get it for sure by 9pm. So I will get there later today.

thats sounds good, i was there at 7...and it wasnt worth it for me.

hopefully what she says is true, I have a reservation and ill pick it up after work today.

thanks for the update!

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
thats sounds good, i was there at 7...and it wasnt worth it for me.

hopefully what she says is true, I have a reservation and ill pick it up after work today.

thanks for the update!

Yeah man, iam going to wait a few hours and call to ask of the walk-in iphones are sold out yet, if they are I will, probably go. If not then I will just go around 5 or 6.

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
what do you guys think about the wait during lunchtime in manhattan village...do you think it will as bad, worse, or better than 7am? i work by lax and since i had a reservation, i arrived at 6:40am...boy was i shocked to see the line. after it wrapped around macy's, i said screw it and went to work early and will get out by 4p.

so...go at lunch...or go at 4...what do you guys think?

schrysco
Jun 24, 2010, 11:28 AM
My guess, and I'm only guessing, that if you go back in the afternoon they'll have cleared out the huge line and you won't have to wait much at all.
But I bet I'm guessing right!

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
im not sure, i too also work by LAX right off Imperial. debating on going on my lunch to check it out. or I might just wait till I get off work....

i think by lunch the line should die down and all the walk-ins will be turned away...hopefully anyways...

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
My guess, and I'm only guessing, that if you go back in the afternoon they'll have cleared out the huge line and you won't have to wait much at all.
But I bet I'm guessing right!

I think you are guessing right also, right now the line is filled with walk ins who are slowing down the reserved. Once the walk in iphones sell out I think we should be good to go.

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
i would think that those camping out should be gone by 11:30 or so...any maybe by then, apple will have organized the lines a bit to accommodate the reserved and the not reserved. i read somewhere that 5 or 6 would be bad too...since that's when most people get off work so i dunno. maybe lunchtime. that line this morning was completely surprising, i couldn't help but laugh and drive away.

edit: also...how many iphone 4s do you think a store like manhattan beach will have? since it's the only apple store for a ways, i'd assume they'd have lots extra. but then again, since it is secluded in comparison to something, say, in times square nyc, would it have a limited number to accommodate for other higher volume stores?

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 11:44 AM
has anyone without a reservation been turned away yet????

portishead
Jun 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
has anyone without a reservation been turned away yet????

If you don't have a reservation, they won't turn you away, but they most likely don't have enough inventory for them is what I have been told by several Apple employees.

Also, they are holding reservations until close of business day tomorrow. So hopefully the line will die down, and be spread across today and tomorrow. It's insane right now!

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
if anyone is there...how long is the line now? longer than at 7am or has it died down? i heard they were doing 10 reservations at a time. confirm?

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
If you don't have a reservation, they won't turn you away, but they most likely don't have enough inventory for them is what I have been told by several Apple employees.

Also, they are holding reservations until close of business day tomorrow. So hopefully the line will die down, and be spread across today and tomorrow. It's insane right now!

No they only hold a reservation until close of business day today.

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=portishead;10308762]If you don't have a reservation, they won't turn you away, but they most likely don't have enough inventory for them is what I have been told by several Apple employees.

This doesnt answer my question at all. Have they run out of walk in devices yet? Can anyone confirm?

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
Still in line here. Right in front of the main Macys entrance. The employees have said they think we are ok as far as walk-in inventory goes and that they would keep us updated. Reservations are getting priority, of course, so it's really really slow...

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
abinjk...how long have you been in line?

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
keep us posted Abby...

thinking of trying to come there on my lunch break..wondering if its probably pointless.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
^ yeah same on debating going on my lunch.....

CmnMrkt
Jun 24, 2010, 12:44 PM
I barely reached the back stairs of Macy's after almost 5 hours so don't bother coming out on your lunch break. Line is still stretched out to the Marriot or whatever hotel it is. No more walk-ins.

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 PM
..Which is likely just a setup for disappointment. Idk how much more i can take this morning lol

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
A guy just came by doing the official count. There are 162 people in front of us still, but stock wise we are good. Last we heard the line was around macys, through the parking lot, out to Rosecrans, and down to the Marriot. For those of you wanting to come at lunch and want my advice: DON'T.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
great! saves me a trip down there.

now hopefully they are not lying about keeping my reservation till the end of day. i should be there around 6p.

hopefully it all works out

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
yes thanks abbie...won't go down on my lunch break. if they're turning down walk-ins right now, then i hope to be good to go later since i have a reservation. hopefully by 4 things will die down. i really hope so. don't want to be disappointed today.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
hey, im off work at 5:30, can you keep me updated if you were able to get through with your reservation?

thanks!

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 02:26 PM
For updates do a search on twitter for #applestore #manhattanbeach that's where I'm posting updates.

levanhieu
Jun 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
I got my iphone around 9am. Everyone was really friendly and I had a great time in line!

The experience overall was still tiring. I dont think i will ever do it again lol.

ps. facetime is awesome!

aaronlam
Jun 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
Have they split the lines yet? If not... Does anyone know why?

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 02:56 PM
No one has any idea what's going on, least of all the employees. I've moved 30 feet since my last post.

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
hey, im off work at 5:30, can you keep me updated if you were able to get through with your reservation?

thanks!

i'm heading out at 4pm...should be down there by 415pm. if the line is as long as it was this morning, i'm not even going to bother. i'll definitely let you know when i get down there the status.

going to at&t on june 29th or buying one from at&t and having it shipped is looking better and better with each disappointing update i get from people who've waited for 5 hrs...with a reservation.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 03:25 PM
great! thanks a lot and good luck with getting your phone!!

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
anyone got any updates? i'll be in a meeting for 2 hours before leaving and i won't be infront of a computer...anyone making progress or seeing the line thinning out?

levanhieu
Jun 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
Have they split the lines yet? If not... Does anyone know why?

they have split the line since 6:30am this morning. the reservation line is going like at least 5x as fast than the walkin line. I felt really bad because the walk in line is actually 10x longer than the reservation line ....

so the odds are stacked against the walk in customers

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
they have split the line since 6:30am this morning. the reservation line is going like at least 5x as fast than the walkin line. I felt really bad because the walk in line is actually 10x longer than the reservation line ....

so the odds are stacked against the walk in customers

I was there and the line was not split...

levanhieu
Jun 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
I was there and the line was not split...

if this is true....then im not sure what happened...I got my iphone 4 at around 9am or so, so at that time when i left the mall, it had two lines.

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
if this is true....then im not sure what happened...I got my iphone 4 at around 9am or so, so at that time when i left the mall, it had two lines.

I know the line splits when you get inside near the store but not outside where it wraps around the building.

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 04:46 PM
At the side of macy's and everyone back here has reservations. Line IS NOT MOVING!!!!

levanhieu
Jun 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
At the side of macy's and everyone back here has reservations. Line IS NOT MOVING!!!!

damn, sorry to hear that. it was moving pretty quickly this morning (in the reservation line). guess they are starting to slow down.

When I was in line this morning, they did split the line outside the mall also as well as when we go inside the mall.

good luck you guys :)

Flay
Jun 24, 2010, 04:56 PM
What a clusterf*%k! I got there at 5:10 a.m. and was about 400 deep in the line. The Apple folks didn't split the lines until about 12:45 p.m. After that, the folks with reservations got in there pretty quickly. At 2:30 p.m., I was out the door with my iPhone after 9 hours.

2 positives: The Apple folks were really fantastic with providing food and water. And I was with friends, so we were able to take shifts.

There were some people in the non-reserve line that had been there earlier than I was. Really felt sorry for them as I left.

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
How long is the line now? when you mean are on the side of macy, are you facing baja fresh, or the banks?

Flay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
How long is the line now? when you mean are on the side of macy, are you facing baja fresh, or the banks?

When I left, it was still across the street away from the mall.

rittchard
Jun 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
What a clusterf*%k! I got there at 5:10 a.m. and was about 400 deep in the line. The Apple folks didn't split the lines until about 12:45 p.m. After that, the folks with reservations got in there pretty quickly.

So is the line split to begin with now, or only after you make it to a certain point?

rittchard
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
Also curious, does anyone know why the line isn't moving? Is it due to slow AT&T activation, slow Apple service or people dilly-dallying in the store, or a combo of all the above?

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
So is the line split to begin with now, or only after you make it to a certain point?

so i wonder if i make it there after work, if i can get my phone without waiting too long in line....hopefully they will still honor my reservation

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 05:16 PM

I would like to know aswell

Flay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:18 PM

It was after a certain point when I left, but they only had 1 guy moving back through the line checking to make sure that you actually had a reservation.

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:23 PM
It was after a certain point when I left, but they only had 1 guy moving back through the line checking to make sure that you actually had a reservation.

Are you guys saying that the only people who are in line now have reservation and it is still across the street?

Flay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Are you guys saying that the only people who are in line now have reservation and it is still across the street?

Nope. I'm saying that there's a split line (non-reserves and reserves) about halfway through the main line. You have to stand at the back of the single line until the Apple guy works his way back to the end checking reservations.

Also, reserves are going in about 20 to 25 at a time. Non-reserves are going in at about 5 at a time.

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
Damn walk ins hurry up and sell out.

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Flay, i hope by the time i get there, there only be 2 people in line.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks Flay, i hope by the time i get there, there only be 2 people in line.

haha seriously, what time are you getting there. i should be there around 6 after i get off work....im gonna be pissed if they sell out even though i have a reservation haha

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
haha seriously, what time are you getting there. i should be there around 6 after i get off work....im gonna be pissed if they sell out even though i have a reservation haha

i should get of work around 5, so i guess i'll probably be in front of you. hopefully the walk-ins do get sold out.

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 05:48 PM
Where did all these people come from? This manhattan beach store was never this bad with the OG iphone and 3GS.

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
haha seriously, what time are you getting there. i should be there around 6 after i get off work....im gonna be pissed if they sell out even though i have a reservation hahaI was there at 5:30 this morning and they said they had enough phones to fill the reservations. Unfortunately I had to leave the line to go to work so I'll be spending my after work time in line...again.

This apple store really screwed up this morning. Not having two lines from the get go was a giant mistake and splitting the line after 12 was an even bigger mistake. I think I'm done with product launches. I just hope that the pre-order process is fixed in the future so I can have my damn phone shipped to me.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
I was there at 5:30 this morning and they said they had enough phones to fill the reservations. Unfortunately I had to leave the line to go to work so I'll be spending my after work time in line...again.

This apple store really screwed up this morning. Not having two lines from the get go was a giant mistake and splitting the line after 12 was an even bigger mistake. I think I'm done with product launches. I just hope that the pre-order process is fixed in the future so I can have my damn phone shipped to me.

yeah i totally agree!

thanks for the info!

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 06:09 PM
alright im leavign work now....i'll let you guys know the length and hopefully the wait time. pray to the smartphone gods for an easy standby.

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 06:10 PM
To those who are saying they hope walk ins sell out: screw you. At a 4:1 ratio in favor of reservations you have zero room to complain. I've been here for twelve hours now, you can stand to wait.

Secondly, they are going to run out of time to process walk ins before they run out of phones.

rownay
Jun 24, 2010, 06:21 PM
To those who are saying they hope walk ins sell out: screw you. At a 4:1 ratio in favor of reservations you have zero room to complain. I've been here for twelve hours now, you can stand to wait.

Secondly, they are going to run out of time to process walk ins before they run out of phones.

12 hours??? damn that sucks. I hope you get one

matthewkristof
Jun 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
Ok here. Back of the line. Warps around the mall. Single line. I've been told it splits later on into two lines. I'll keep u all posted.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 06:35 PM
Ok here. Back of the line. Warps around the mall. Single line. I've been told it splits later on into two lines. I'll keep u all posted.

wow still, maybe im glad i get off later haha, thanks for the update!

spankalank
Jun 24, 2010, 06:45 PM

Maybe you shouldve pre ordered.....

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
For reference, I got here at 4:00 a.m. and am now around 30th in the walk in line, the people next to me in the reservation line got here at 7:00 a.m.

They seem to be taking groups of 25-30 from the reservation line 2-3 times per hour while taking a group of about 10 once per hour from the walk in line.

Also, they are staying open until 11, according to several people in line.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 07:19 PM
should be there around 6p, hopefully the line has died down...or at least i get some sort of "come back tomorrow" voucher

Redhook1
Jun 24, 2010, 07:19 PM
Got here at 3:15 and I am looking at Baja Fresh. Started in the street Behind the mall.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Got here at 3:15 and I am looking at Baja Fresh. Started in the street Behind the mall.

wow...i have a bad feeling ill be in line forever....haha

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
How far is the line going back to now?

synystergates
Jun 24, 2010, 07:41 PM
My friend just called me about 5 minutes ago. He just got to the store and he told me the line is still really long. Around the back of Macy's. He too has a reservation. I think that if he stays, he'll be out of there by closing. I didn't think it would be this bad.

thefugitivemind
Jun 24, 2010, 07:43 PM
a guy just posted this on twitter

"Apple guy in a blue shirt saying those without a reservation will not pick up an iPhone today. #manhattanbeach
7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone"

hopefully that will get rid of some of the line....

Redhook1
Jun 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
They are handing out small boars head subs. Sweet!!!

Maaz
Jun 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
a guy just posted this on twitter

"Apple guy in a blue shirt saying those without a reservation will not pick up an iPhone today. #manhattanbeach
7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone"

hopefully that will get rid of some of the line....

Good news.

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
JUST got inside the mall! Only 14 hours later... :o

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
For NON RESERVATION sold out of 16gb not many 32gb left.

CmnMrkt
Jun 24, 2010, 09:02 PM
One of the worst experience ever. Got there at 6am and got my iPhone and checked out at 3:40pm. It took me only 5 minutes max to do the whole transaction so I don't know whats up with the other ppl taking so long.

ramkla007
Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 PM
After an excruciating 10 hours, finally got my phone. The wait, otherwise pretty tiring, was made bearable and actually fun to be part of, because of the people around. A shoutout to Sam, Sebastian, Bill, Robert, Hector - I'm missing a couple of other names. Thanks guys and hope you enjoy your iPhone!

- Ramesh.

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 10:07 PM
So it looks like me and Chris are the last two without reservations that were let in.

heartappl
Jun 24, 2010, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know if they still have any for non-reservations?

abijnk
Jun 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know if they still have any for non-reservations?

They aren't saying. We were told we were it, then they brought another small group in.

16.5 hours later... SUCCESS!!!

rstark18
Jun 24, 2010, 11:15 PM
One of the worst experience ever. Got there at 6am and got my iPhone and checked out at 3:40pm. It took me only 5 minutes max to do the whole transaction so I don't know whats up with the other ppl taking so long.

I'll second that. I would never do that again. Sunburnt, tired and I had a reservation. Total of 11 hours of my life wasted.

heartappl
Jun 24, 2010, 11:44 PM
Does anybody know what the voucher situation is over there? my sister is useless

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know if they'll have any in stock tomorrow, based off those who never picked up their iPhone reservations today?

Ronnoco
Jun 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
Does anybody know what the voucher situation is over there? my sister is useless

A good friend of mine got a voucher from that MB store...they said they will hold the phones for them till end of business tomorrow...

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 12:13 AM
How's it going over there now guys? i went there at 5, stayed for 1 and half hour, moved about 1/6th of the line, then left. Any chance the reservations will work tomorrow?

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 12:19 AM
Okay so I just got back. They gave all reservation customers in line a voucher for tomorrow till end of business day.

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 12:25 AM
Okay so I just got back. They gave all reservation customers in line a voucher for tomorrow till end of business day.

what if i left line before they gave out vouchers? is my iphone still reserved?

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 12:44 AM

Probably not. They said they wouldn't let anybody without a voucher even line up. I'm not even 100% confident they even have enough stock on hand to satisfy all the people who got vouchers tonight. There were a ton of people left when I got my voucher at 9:30.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 12:47 AM

Sorry man, no

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 12:55 AM
damn oh wellz, might as well give it a shot

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 12:58 AM
Probably not. They said they wouldn't let anybody without a voucher even line up. I'm not even 100% confident they even have enough stock on hand to satisfy all the people who got vouchers tonight. There were a ton of people left when I got my voucher at 9:30.
They said for sure if you got a voucher you will get one.

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 01:05 AM
They said for sure if you got a voucher you will get one.

All I'm saying is how well this store handled this launch I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have enough.

Can anybody who was successful today shed some light on average how long it took in store. I'm just trying to figure why the line took so long. Considering the line really didn't let up all day today something had to have gone wrong. (Besides not splitting the line in two from the get go. )

kr00k322
Jun 25, 2010, 08:33 AM
All I'm saying is how well this store handled this launch I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have enough.

Can anybody who was successful today shed some light on average how long it took in store. I'm just trying to figure why the line took so long. Considering the line really didn't let up all day today something had to have gone wrong. (Besides not splitting the line in two from the get go. )

It took my friend around 10 minutes only because he was using a check and went through the whole buy the gift card then you get the phone deal. I'm sure the line took as long because they were basically doing a full one on one with the customers which is understandable. Also, it could be that people didn't want to lose their apps so much that they asked to have them transferred. The activation process took awhile too and some might've waited in store until that was finished (they gave my friend the option). They held their composure pretty well, all but one Apple employee atleast.

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 11:44 AM
anybody in line that got a voucher last night?

we all got turned away at 11:30, but were given vouchers and was told that no one was being sold a phone without a voucher.

just asking if the line is still ridiculous, i dont get off work till 6p and they close at 9p tonight...i have a feeling they will screw me over again ahhahaha

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
anybody in line that got a voucher last night?

we all got turned away at 11:30, but were given vouchers and was told that no one was being sold a phone without a voucher.

just asking if the line is still ridiculous, i dont get off work till 6p and they close at 9p tonight...i have a feeling they will screw me over again ahhahaha I'm in the same boat. Any updates this morning? Is there even a line today?

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. Any updates this morning? Is there even a line today?

ill check it out on my lunch break and ill keep you posted. at this point I just want the phone and to be in and out...i can activate it at home...

durian
Jun 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
If the Pasadena store was any indication, I was in and out within 45 minutes. Unreserved. FYI, I got there after the store opened, at 8:40. If you had a voucher, no wait time.

Lines and wait times do vary from store to store. For us in LA, it's sometimes worth going to a store farther away to save time.

Good luck.

iMux
Jun 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
I was there's this morning (until 8:30) and they had it separated into two lines. Walk-in on one side, pre-order and voucher holders on the other. The bad part is that they only took customers from the pre-order/voucher line. They weren't letting any walk-ins in until he other line was done. The pre-order /voucher line was pretty long. Apple employees said the probably wouldn't be able to get to the walk-in until noon.

I had to leave to go to work so I'm not sure of it's current state.

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 12:48 PM
thanks for the update, ill check it out during lunch and see whats up

schrysco
Jun 25, 2010, 01:20 PM
Cross posting this in case anyone's interested...

Just got back from the store at the Grove (3rd & Fairfax) Walked in, waited about a half hour in the line, was in and out with 2 new phones in 10 minutes.

They have a ton of phones there - the girl working the line has a huge stack of cards representing 16GB or 32GB, if I had to guess she's carrying at least 200 or so, and if I had to guess again that's probably not even all the ones they have for sale. Another truck pulled up while I was there waiting.

For future reference: I've been going to the grove on Day #2 (or late on Day #1) for every product launch since the first iPod minis. I've always been able to get exactly what I wanted without really waiting at all. They ALWAYS stock the Grove store better than any other stores in the country (aside from maybe NYC and SF), because of the celebrity/Hollywood factor.

The line right now is maybe 15-20 people, shouldn't take long at all. If I had to guess, they will have phones in stock every day through the weekend.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
I will be going around 2-3pm.

Redhook1
Jun 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
Can anyone give an update on how far back the voucher line is?

Thanks

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
Can anyone give an update on how far back the voucher line is?

Thanks

im about to leave work to go to lunch, ill give you guys an update when i get there.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 02:11 PM
im about to leave work to go to lunch, ill give you guys an update when i get there.

Thanks man let us know soon.

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
I would say about 60 in front of me...maybe 2hrs wait. Don't bother conning unless you have a 3hr lunch break or ditching work for the day.

I'm going back to work and comming back at 6p

spankalank
Jun 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
I would say about 60 in front of me...maybe 2hrs wait. Don't bother conning unless you have a 3hr lunch break or ditching work for the day.

With a voucher or without???

Redhook1
Jun 25, 2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks. I am going at 5:00
I was in line for 10+ hours yesterday only to get a voucher 20ft from the door at 11:30 There was almost a riot.

iMux
Jun 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update Fugitive. I'll probably scope it out around 7. If you can, let us know what its like when you go.

Thanks again!!

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
no prob guys, when i left i was just around the corner of the mall entrance, and the line didnt move at all.

I was talking to some lady and she said at 9a the line was almost to the corner. she thinks that most of the people with vouchers were in that line and that by 6p we should just be able to walk right in. which is def what it seemed like, but you never know.

ill try to get out of work early and Ill def keep you guys updated.

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
Cross posting this in case anyone's interested...

Just got back from the store at the Grove (3rd & Fairfax) Walked in, waited about a half hour in the line, was in and out with 2 new phones in 10 minutes.

They have a ton of phones there - the girl working the line has a huge stack of cards representing 16GB or 32GB, if I had to guess she's carrying at least 200 or so, and if I had to guess again that's probably not even all the ones they have for sale. Another truck pulled up while I was there waiting.

For future reference: I've been going to the grove on Day #2 (or late on Day #1) for every product launch since the first iPod minis. I've always been able to get exactly what I wanted without really waiting at all. They ALWAYS stock the Grove store better than any other stores in the country (aside from maybe NYC and SF), because of the celebrity/Hollywood factor.

The line right now is maybe 15-20 people, shouldn't take long at all. If I had to guess, they will have phones in stock every day through the weekend.

Hey schrysco, Is there really still that much available? maybe i should stop by there. Let me know if you find anymore updates

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 03:35 PM
I drove by the line at lunch today and it was A LOT better than last night. I'm hoping by 6 the line would be even better.

iMux
Jun 25, 2010, 03:38 PM
Here is the Grove's page. Seems like they have a bunch of phones.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10332906&posted=1#post10332906

chrmjenkins
Jun 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks. I am going at 5:00
I was in line for 10+ hours yesterday only to get a voucher 20ft from the door at 11:30 There was almost a riot.

I'm glad you guys got that. I was with a group of 26 walk-ins that they took in at once. We didn't see any other walk-ins for 2 hours. We thought you guys were SCREWED and we were going to be the last. Once we got in there, we started hearing rumors of 16 GB being sold out for walk-ins. I asked one of the employees to confirm, and he did. One of the girls in my group started bawling because she had only saved enough for the 16 GB. Luckily, the manager said they had just received a shipment (true at 8 pm? IDK) and they would have 16 GBs. I really feel bad for the dude right behind us who didn't make it in (Ryan, you were a cool dude) with us, only to find out from the group of walk-ins 2 hours behind us that he bailed because he heard the no 16 GB rumor too. There was also a son and his mom a few people behind us that had to bail at 6 PM for an international flight. While we were inside we were treated to the aftermath of a physical altercation with an apple employee that warranted the police showing up.

All I have to say is besides not giving us any quantity info, apple treated us very well. All the employees were courteous and cheerful (especially the dude who checked us out) and the fact that they provided us with 3 meals, cupcakes and drinks was awesome. It may have taken almost 17 hours and cost one huge sunburn, but it was worth it.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 04:32 PM
I am about to leave right now. I'll update you guys when I come back.

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 04:47 PM
I am about to leave right now. I'll update you guys when I come back.

great! let us know!

ChristinaMinxx
Jun 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
While we were inside we were treated to the aftermath of a physical altercation with an apple employee that warranted the police showing up.

All I have to say is besides not giving us any quantity info, apple treated us very well. All the employees were courteous and cheerful (especially the dude who checked us out) and the fact that they provided us with 3 meals, cupcakes and drinks was awesome. It may have taken almost 17 hours and cost one huge sunburn, but it was worth it.

We got there about 12:30am on launch day...didn't get in the store until 2:30pm...
Will definitely pre-order next time. It was an experience to say the least. Didn't witness the fight...did see one girl crying and talking to the employees because someone in line had threatened her, but that was all. Most of the employees were great, but there were two that were extremely rude to other customers in line.
The food was great. The breakfast sandwich wasn't so awesome, but the sandwich from Rinaldi's for lunch was fantastic, as well as dessert...mini red velvet cupcakes from SusieCakes (the employee passing them out was the BEST!).
Hope y'all don't have to wait too long!;)

matthewkristof
Jun 25, 2010, 04:54 PM
I walked up at 220. I told them I had a reservation yesterday but didn't get a voucher. They said they'd check my name if it was still reserved...and it was. Got in the voucher line, 20 people deep right outside the mall (in front of the door by islands). They take 10 vouchers at a time not sure about walkins but nit looking good based on peoples frustration. Now I'm 2nd in line. There's also a short line right in front of the apple store that employees cart over 10 at a time. I'll let you all know more when it happens

matthewkristof
Jun 25, 2010, 05:24 PM
One hour gone. Took 15 of us. Fourth directly in front of apple store. Voucher line getting bigger but still moving well.

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
One hour gone. Took 15 of us. Fourth directly in front of apple store. Voucher line getting bigger but still moving well.

Hey matthew, i have a reservation also, but no voucher, u think i can do the same. How big is the line getting now?

Redhook1
Jun 25, 2010, 05:29 PM

how many in voucher line?

thefugitivemind
Jun 25, 2010, 05:36 PM
thanks for the update, hopefully at 6 the line will be almost dead....

at this point just as long as i get my phone either tonight or tomorrow.

FJ4X420
Jun 25, 2010, 06:38 PM
No more walk ins for today. They are signing up people for a "priority list". After giving my name and email got this email.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1187/4734415486_77797c1ce8.jpg

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
The line is pretty short now. It looks like there is only 30 or 40 people in line now.

iMux
Jun 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
The line is pretty short now. It looks like there is only 30 or 40 people in line now.

Joey do you think they still have phones or are they getting a shipment tonight? I might be coming down there shortly.

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joey do you think they still have phones or are they getting a shipment tonight? I might be coming down there shortly.

For walk-ins, no. For reserves and people with vouchers it seems like it. There is a woman behind ne who didn't have a voucher from last night but a reservation and they let her in.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 08:46 PM
The line door reserve is very small. Took us about 1 hour

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Word from the person working the door is that the line is already cut off.

rownay
Jun 25, 2010, 09:08 PM
Word from the person working the door is that the line is already cut off.

Oh no. Can u confirm. I'm on my way

joeyjoejoeshaba
Jun 25, 2010, 10:03 PM
Oh no. Can u confirm. I'm on my way

Sorry I didn't repond earlier, it look like they definitely closed the line. By the time I left the line was a lot shorter than when I got there at 5:45. Sorry.

Maaz
Jun 25, 2010, 11:48 PM
So did everyone that reserved get it today?

kr00k322
Jun 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm glad you guys got that. I was with a group of 26 walk-ins that they took in at once. We didn't see any other walk-ins for 2 hours. We thought you guys were SCREWED and we were going to be the last. Once we got in there, we started hearing rumors of 16 GB being sold out for walk-ins. I asked one of the employees to confirm, and he did. One of the girls in my group started bawling because she had only saved enough for the 16 GB. Luckily, the manager said they had just received a shipment (true at 8 pm? IDK) and they would have 16 GBs. I really feel bad for the dude right behind us who didn't make it in (Ryan, you were a cool dude) with us, only to find out from the group of walk-ins 2 hours behind us that he bailed because he heard the no 16 GB rumor too. There was also a son and his mom a few people behind us that had to bail at 6 PM for an international flight. While we were inside we were treated to the aftermath of a physical altercation with an apple employee that warranted the police showing up.

I actually was right there when the police officer kicked that guy out and when they finally let in like 20+ walk-ins. I was the next in the door after they let in the group of walk-ins that was pretty crazy. Sad as well..I think after that guy made a big fit and everyone complained they had to give up the phones they had for themselves or something because that was interesting for phones to magically appear without a delivery truck. But I must say it was funny when all of the people were coming up to the lines and asking if we were lining up to look at Twilight lol.

terramar
Jun 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
I can't get through on the phone to the store...trying to figure out if they've got phones, or if there's a line today.

Anybody with any first-hand knowledge?

rstark18
Jun 28, 2010, 01:51 PM
I can't get through on the phone to the store...trying to figure out if they've got phones, or if there's a line today.

Anybody with any first-hand knowledge?

I was there sat to replace mine. There was a small line. When they opened the back door it looked like they had a lot of them sitting on a table (40-50 maybe).

terramar
Jun 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Anybody go to the AT&T store by target today? Just curious how bad it was.

terramar
Jun 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
Stopped by at 9:30 - the person walking out of the store had been in line since 5:30. The line had about 30 people in it, and employees were telling everybody that only a few people were going to get phones right away. They were going to put names on a list for a shipment of 16GB phones later today - no 32GB were expected.

I drove to the Santa Monica store at 808 Wilshire. No line. Walked in and out in 10 minutes with a 32GB. They had a lot of both models, and a new shipment had just arrived.

iMux
Jun 29, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks. I just sent a friend from work there.

tttmac
Jun 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
I drove to the Santa Monica store at 808 Wilshire. No line. Walked in and out in 10 minutes with a 32GB. They had a lot of both models, and a new shipment had just arrived.

Thanks terramar, woke up, read this, made my way over there, at approx 11:15am, no lines , except for one person in front of me waiting for a rep,
drank their complimentary drinks, and got myself a 32gb, the last 32gb they had, almost missed out but a manager had an extra he just placed back

appreciate the notice on the availability!

rownay
Jun 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks. I just sent a friend from work there.

was your friend able to get it there? Does he know how much they have left?

chrmjenkins
Jun 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
was your friend able to get it there? Does he know how much they have left?

Read the post above yours. No more 32 gb.

zkaudio
Jul 2, 2010, 03:36 PM
anyone know if they have any in stock today July, 2?

chrmjenkins
Jul 2, 2010, 03:43 PM
anyone know if they have any in stock today July, 2?

Call and ask.