PDA

View Full Version : Somerset-Troy MI iPhone4

rjflyn
Jun 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone going for this.

emozilla
Jun 8, 2010, 04:01 PM
I've been there the last two years, but got the iPad at Partridge Creek instead. Decisions, decisions.

Nino313
Jun 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
Got my iPad 3G from there so ima try to get out there for this launch

troy14
Jun 8, 2010, 05:21 PM
I work at P.F Changs at Partridge Creek but live in Auburn Hills.

Will probably be at Somerset Apple!

dpw84
Jun 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
Was at Somerset for the 3G and was third in line. I was there last year for the 3GS and was second in line. This year I will try and be first.

labman
Jun 8, 2010, 10:53 PM
Add me to the list last year fedex brought my phone. this year I want the total Apple Geek experience. :p

rjflyn
Jun 9, 2010, 03:25 PM
Now wondering how scarce they are going to be? Im looking at getting 2, wondering if thats the limit or if its more and could make money to pay for those by being a line sitter.

labman
Jun 9, 2010, 03:36 PM
Now wondering how scarce they are going to be? Im looking at getting 2, wondering if thats the limit or if its more and could make money to pay for those by being a line sitter.

I thought about that to if JB/UL is available on or near release day. All those people that just can't wait till it's released near them. planing to take a personal day that day.

alcaholic
Jun 9, 2010, 05:33 PM
ill be there!

Yessle
Jun 10, 2010, 06:32 AM
Was at Somerset for the 3G and was third in line. I was there last year for the 3GS and was second in line. This year I will try and be first.

How early, or at what time did you get there?

dpw84
Jun 10, 2010, 07:48 AM
How early, or at what time did you get there?

It was about 5:30 AM, the line was still relatively short till about 7 then everyone started to show up.

Speedracer04
Jun 11, 2010, 08:07 AM
I should be there sometime throughout the day, noonish. I work right across the street from Somerset so it will be a good lunch on that day! :p

rjflyn
Jun 11, 2010, 03:08 PM
My hope is the go the iPad route and to the preorder and pickup by 3PM route again. I work nights work the night before so id rather be able to get my nap and get up and go get it at noon or so with no hassles or worries about them running out. I dont want to have to be awake for home delivery either.

stellablue96
Jun 17, 2010, 04:21 PM
It was about 5:30 AM, the line was still relatively short till about 7 then everyone started to show up.Really?? This is giving me hope. I am aiming to show up at 6am and have no reservation (my account was messed up and was not able to make a reservation or preorder).

Who wants to bring the bagels? :)

stellablue96
Jun 17, 2010, 05:21 PM
Any idea what time the mall opens? If people start the lineup outside where do they start lining up?

Wallace
Jun 18, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'll be there around 7 am. Last year I was there shortly after 7 and I 'just' had to wait a good half hour to pick up my reserved 3GS. Hopefully it will be same this year.

stevewisey
Jun 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
This will be my first time getting a phone not being an Apple Employee at Somerset. The earlier you get there the better. If the preorder is any indication, there might be snags since this is going to be a huge product launch. Also make sure your bill has a zero balance or you don't "qualify" in the AT&T system for the upgrade price.

Somerset has a great staff and launches go smooth there. Loved working at that store.

big sity
Jun 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
ok so I'm planning on getting to somerset around 430 am(driving from grand blanc).....do you guys think that is early enough? I reserved mine, and I was able to confirm with apple that I'm in the system on yesterday, so I will still bring my email anyway(lol) and hope to be at least in the first 10 people being that I have to be at work at 9 back in Flint...also where around somerset will the line be anyway? If you see a big black guy walking around with a Citizens Bank shirt just wave!! I'm so excited.... AND this will be my first trip to an apple store EVER!! I'm open for suggestions here...thanks guys

Just in case I don't make it down in the morning at least they will hold it for me till closing......how are the evening crowds @ somerset?

UPDATE: I will be going in the evening when I get off work....now I hope Apple has bumpers!! I'm thinking about a white one

ToxicAtomicDog
Jun 19, 2010, 06:22 PM
I plan to get to Somerset around 6am and have heard that the north entrance by the parking garage is where the line starts. Need to call tomorrow to confirm my pre-order is correctly registered. Since I work at Troy City Hall I don't have far to go to work afterwards.

stellablue96
Jun 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Do all you guys have reservations?

I don't. I am still nervous that I am going to get there early and be SOL. Well...I guess I will see soon enough.

ps...pretty sure I will be the only 30 week pregnant girl waiting in line on Thursday.

Wallace
Jun 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
@big sity
If you arrive at 4:30 am I'm pretty sure that you are the first in line! Respect! :)

ToxicAtomicDog
Jun 20, 2010, 11:39 AM
Why not just call the store, 248-822-0081, and ask if they will have enough for non-preorders.

I don't. I am still nervous that I am going to get there early and be SOL. Well...I guess I will see soon enough.

ps...pretty sure I will be the only 30 week pregnant girl waiting in line on Thursday.

stellablue96
Jun 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
Why not just call the store, 248-822-0081, and ask if they will have enough for non-preorders. I have....they really did not give me any kind of definite answers.

SaintsMac
Jun 20, 2010, 01:45 PM
Debated on whether or not to stand in line. I finally decided to pre order online with home delivery. I will keep checking in to how things are going for you.

Good luck!

L.C.W.
Jun 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
No pre-order or reservation here, but I'm going to try and get one in person anyways... it's early enough that it won't affect my work day. Going to show up around 6am I guess. I wonder which door would be best to go through.... The rear entrance near CPK, or through the Macy's rear entrance... ?? :confused:

I'm also wondering if they will have white iphone 4's for those that pick one up in person, as the white wasn't available for pre-order or reservation...

stellablue96
Jun 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
No pre-order or reservation here, but I'm going to try and get one in person anyways... it's early enough that it won't affect my work day. Going to show up around 6am I guess. I wonder which door would be best to go through.... The rear entrance near CPK, or through the Macy's rear entrance... ?? :confused:

I'm also wondering if they will have white iphone 4's for those that pick one up in person, as the white wasn't available for pre-order or reservation...

Someone posted this on another thread as to where people line up before the mall opens

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4683746323_0b29283172_b.jpg

L.C.W.
Jun 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
oh I don't need a map... know my way around Somerset no prob... i'm just wondering which entrance would open up first... since the Macy's entrance is closer... any lineup that matters will be in front of the apple store, not at the mall entrance, so as soon as Somerset opens, it's every man/woman for themselves in a mad dash to the front of the Apple store...

L.C.W.
Jun 20, 2010, 05:19 PM
i'm almost thinking of hitting up the Partridge Creek one - although that's like 25 miles away and Somerset is like 2 miles.... but at P.C. the store entrance is outdoors, so technically easier to line up for.... hmmm.....

stellablue96
Jun 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
oh I don't need a map... know my way around Somerset no prob... i'm just wondering which entrance would open up first... since the Macy's entrance is closer... any lineup that matters will be in front of the apple store, not at the mall entrance, so as soon as Somerset opens, it's every man/woman for themselves in a mad dash to the front of the Apple store...
The north entrance with the big red dot...thats where most people line up and is the first door to open (from what I have heard)

danpass
Jun 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
Ahh .... Somserset Mall.

I-75 to Exit 69, Big Beaver Road.

What a combo lol

<--- 7 years in Metro Detroit area :D

dpw84
Jun 20, 2010, 09:57 PM

I was the one that posted the map in another thread. I have gone to Somerset for the 3G (3rd in line) and 3GS (2nd in line) and both times the line has started at that entrance and it will start at that entrance this year as well. There is not going to be a mad dash either. The order of the line that forms outside the mall before they open the doors is the same order when you get inside. Apple employees actually lead the line in to make sure the order is the same as it is not fair for the first person that shows up 3-4 hours before is not the first person in the store. Once you get inside the mall they separate those who reserved and those who did not.

maladroit
Jun 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
I've got a reservation at Partridge Creek and will likely be there. ~10 just because I live too far away :)

bman3241
Jun 20, 2010, 11:04 PM
I will be there on launch. Trying to get there early to make it to work in Detroit on time (8:30 or 9 a.m.). I believe my pre-order went through alright as I got an email, but can I call the Somerset store directly and have them check? Probably getting there around 6 a.m. to get in line. Hoping this goes smoothly waited after work for my 3G and everything went well.

L.C.W.
Jun 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
I was the one that posted the map in another thread. I have gone to Somerset for the 3G (3rd in line) and 3GS (2nd in line) and both times the line has started at that entrance and it will start at that entrance this year as well. There is not going to be a mad dash either. The order of the line that forms outside the mall before they open the doors is the same order when you get inside. Apple employees actually lead the line in to make sure the order is the same as it is not fair for the first person that shows up 3-4 hours before is not the first person in the store. Once you get inside the mall they separate those who reserved and those who did not.

OK - this is good to know. Definitely will make it less "stressful" if the Apple employees monitor the outdoor line. I just hope they have units on hand for non-preorder people.

cheers

L.C.W.
Jun 21, 2010, 02:51 PM
Is there still an AT&T store on the 2nd or 3rd level at Somerset?

I wonder if non-preorder'ees fail to get one at the Apple Store, if running up the AT&T store would yield any success... ???

dpw84
Jun 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
Is there still an AT&T store on the 2nd or 3rd level at Somerset?

I wonder if non-preorder'ees fail to get one at the Apple Store, if running up the AT&T store would yield any success... ???

According to the mall directory there is still an AT&T store by Macy's on the third floor. Still, I would think that you'd pretty much be guaranteed one as long as you're one of the first one's in the non-reservation line.

L.C.W.
Jun 22, 2010, 08:39 AM
2 more days!!!.... those lucky to have pre-ordered early and got home delivery are getting theirs early now - on the 23rd!

hopefully Thursday brings success to those of us without pre-orders...

L.C.W.
Jun 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Now this is rather interesting... looks like "walk-ins" at AT&T stores will be futile on the 24th...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/22/apple-iphone-4-not-available-for-purchase-in-att-stores-on-24th-starting-29th/

dkny3362
Jun 23, 2010, 08:20 AM

You wont be the only preggie waiting in line. I'm 31 weeks and plan on waiting but I'm not sure which Apple store I'll be at yet. No reservations here either unfortunately. Best buy screwed me over with my pre-orders.

stellablue96
Jun 23, 2010, 08:29 AM
You wont be the only preggie waiting in line. I'm 31 weeks and plan on waiting but I'm not sure which Apple store I'll be at yet. No reservations here either unfortunately. Best buy screwed me over with my pre-orders.
Ha. Awesome! Well come to Somerset. We can have a pregnant girl party. Maybe the apple employees will take pity on us! (doubt it...just wishful thinking).

Has anyone talked to anyone at the store yet .... as far as how many phones they will have for walk ins? I called the other day and was not able to get a definite answer. Just wondering what other people are being told.

tigres
Jun 23, 2010, 08:38 AM
I think I might show as well; however I want the white. Chances are slim, however I may give it a shot.

Anyone else thinking this?

L.C.W.
Jun 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
won't be any white... http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/what-happened-to-the-white-iphone-4/

i'm going to get a black instead...

schmitty2112
Jun 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
I'll be there I am so excited!!!!

jpyciak
Jun 23, 2010, 09:13 AM
So I have mine reserved and getting there at noon. Hope the line will have died down a bit by then. I wish I could be there earlier but I have to work.

stellablue96
Jun 23, 2010, 09:54 AM
I called the store. The guy answering was very nice (figured he would be annoyed with iphone questions) but could give me NO answers what so ever. Basically just said we will have some for walk ins on a first come first serve basis but we do not know how many.

Arg.

If anyone gets a more definite answer...please post it!

iphone quatro
Jun 23, 2010, 02:28 PM
I reserved my iPhone 4 to be picked up, I started getting nervous because people said it really didn't guarantee you anything. I even did the online-chat feature on Apple's web-site with a service person at Apple and they said the same thing. Then when I called the Somerset store today, they said if I reserved one it would be waiting there with my name on it for the entire day. So completely conflicting information going on here.

I would love to get there at about 6 am, but I have to be to work by 7:30 am and I don't see my phone being activated in 30 minutes. Soooooo, I'm hoping what the somerset employee told me is true, otherwise I am SOL.

L.C.W.
Jun 23, 2010, 02:31 PM
you should have also asked how many will be available for the walk-ins!!!??? :D

getting a bit nervous...

alstromerian
Jun 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
My husband and I got the 3g at the Somerset AT&T store on launch day without a hitch, but as AT&T is not doing walk-ins tomorrow, we will be heading to the Apple store.

We were out of town on preorder day, so we missed out. I called a half hour ago and, while helpful, they didn't have any definitive answers. They made the availability of walk-in phones sound pretty limited, which makes me nervous. This thread is making me feel a little better. If we show up at 5:00, will we be among the first dozen in line? Think we'll get our phones and be walking out by 8:00 or so? Appreciate the reassurance. :D My hope is that most early birds will have preordered.

Also, they told me that mall security will open the mall doors at 6:30. Store opens at 7:00.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning!

stellablue96
Jun 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
My husband and I got the 3g at the Somerset AT&T store on launch day without a hitch, but as AT&T is not doing walk-ins tomorrow, we will be heading to the Apple store.

We were out of town on preorder day, so we missed out. I called a half hour ago and, while helpful, they didn't have any definitive answers. They made the availability of walk-in phones sound pretty limited, which makes me nervous. This thread is making me feel a little better. If we show up at 5:00, will we be among the first dozen in line? Think we'll get our phones and be walking out by 8:00 or so? Appreciate the reassurance. :D My hope is that most early birds will have preordered.

Also, they told me that mall security will open the mall doors at 6:30. Store opens at 7:00.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning!

To me...it sounds like 5 should be plenty early (from what other people have said). I am aiming to be there by 6. Hopefully that won't be too late! I really don't want to wait outside for nothing :( It kind of seems like a lot of people don't start getting there until 7...but who knows how different this year will be!

alstromerian
Jun 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
To me...it sounds like 5 should be plenty early (from what other people have said). I am aiming to be there by 6. Hopefully that won't be too late! I really don't want to wait outside for nothing :( It kind of seems like a lot of people don't start getting there until 7...but who knows how different this year will be!

Have you preordered? Did the Apple store open at 7:00 last year? I know it opened at 8:00 on launch day for the 3g.

stellablue96
Jun 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
Have you preordered? Did the Apple store open at 7:00 last year? I know it opened at 8:00 on launch day for the 3g.

No...I was not able to preorder (my account was totally messed up and did not get fixed until it was too late). I am pretty sure they opened at 7 last year as well. This will be the first time I have actually gone to a store for launch ... I usually get my phone in the mail.

Wallace
Jun 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
Last year they opened imho at 7:30 am. I was there at 7:20 am or so...I had to wait 30+ min until I held my reserved 3GS in my hand.

DetroitBORG
Jun 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
I remember when 3G came out and I was in the Sommerset line for 6 hours because of activation delays. I arrived at 7:40AM and the line was from the Apple Store to the Escalators!

SaintsMac
Jun 24, 2010, 04:14 AM
Got my phone a day early! Guess I will sit this one out.

Hope you guys get your iPhones!

L.C.W.
Jun 24, 2010, 06:23 AM
I didn't bother getting up early after reading the antenna/reception issues... Think I might wait getting an iP4 altogether... Anyone have a report of the line situation?

L.C.W.
Jun 24, 2010, 06:36 AM
Just ran into a dude with an iP4 box... Asked him about the line situatuion... He said it was crazy... Walk-in line all the way to J.Alexanders

Roy Hobbs
Jun 24, 2010, 06:48 AM
Just ran into a dude with an iP4 box... Asked him about the line situatuion... He said it was crazy... Walk-in line all the way to J.Alexanders

What about the reservation line?

tigres
Jun 24, 2010, 09:05 AM
What's up at Somerset guys?
Lines?
Stock?

Please share....

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 09:35 AM
My husband and I left after waiting four hours and realizing we'd probably have to wait several more. We got there at 5:00 and there were already about 80 people there. They split us into walk-in and reservations lines, which was to be expected. Unfortunately, they were processing 1 walk-in for every 15 reservation people, so it was likely that reservation people who arrive hours after walk-ins would get processed much sooner. By 9:00, only 20 walk-ins had been processed. It was such a blatantly unfair process that we left in disgust. At no point were employees ever candid with us about the fact that they would be functionally ignoring the walk-in line. They should have just said "no walk-ins," because that's the gist of what they were doing. I mean really, they made it seem like they only had about 100 walk-in phones available anyway - why not just process the lines equally until the walk-in phones were gone? So frustrating. >:-( I'll just wait for the white one, if I get one at all after this nonsense. I'm pretty disgusted by how this was handled.

When we left, I asked the guy if we could be put on a list or something (as they had promised us earlier), and he told me that if I left, I'd have to re-reserve and probably wouldn't get a phone for 1-2 weeks.

I understand having limited quantities to increase hype, but you don't have to punish the people who show up at 5:00! I would have stayed, but it was painfully obvious that at 5-10 people per hour, they might not even process the 60 people ahead of me before close. Absolute nonsense.

The short of it: If you weren't one of the lucky ones who got a reservation, even showing up at 5:00 wouldn't have helped you. Don't bother.

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
What about the reservation line?

The reservation line was even longer than the walk-in line, but it seemed to be moving at a decent pace (since they weren't really processing walk-ins).

Anyone know if they'll have phones tomorrow? What's day two after a launch like?

tevans333
Jun 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone know if activations are going ok? I want to pick up a reserved phone this afternoon, but not if they are having activation probles. Also, are the letting people buy without activating?

tigres
Jun 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
My husband and I left after waiting four hours and realizing we'd probably have to wait several more. We got there at 5:00 and there were already about 80 people there. They split us into walk-in and reservations lines, which was to be expected. Unfortunately, they were processing 1 walk-in for every 15 reservation people, so it was likely that reservation people who arrive hours after walk-ins would get processed much sooner. By 9:00, only 20 walk-ins had been processed. It was such a blatantly unfair process that we left in disgust. At no point were employees ever candid with us about the fact that they would be functionally ignoring the walk-in line. They should have just said "no walk-ins," because that's the gist of what they were doing. I mean really, they made it seem like they only had about 100 walk-in phones available anyway - why not just process the lines equally until the walk-in phones were gone? So frustrating. >:-( I'll just wait for the white one, if I get one at all after this nonsense. I'm pretty disgusted by how this was handled.

When we left, I asked the guy if we could be put on a list or something (as they had promised us earlier), and he told me that if I left, I'd have to re-reserve and probably wouldn't get a phone for 1-2 weeks.

I understand having limited quantities to increase hype, but you don't have to punish the people who show up at 5:00! I would have stayed, but it was painfully obvious that at 5-10 people per hour, they might not even process the 60 people ahead of me before close. Absolute nonsense.

The short of it: If you weren't one of the lucky ones who got a reservation, even showing up at 5:00 wouldn't have helped you. Don't bother.

Well that stinks...sounds like you left empty handed.

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
Well that stinks...sounds like you left empty handed.

Yeah, it was a real bummer. I don't mean to sound like a difficult person -- I recognize how absurd it is to complain about not getting a new iPhone on launch day (like really, is that the worst of my problems? haha). I'm not frustrated that I didn't get a phone -- I just think the process was bad. There was no reason to treat the walk-ins like they were second-class customers, and if they were going to, they certainly should have warned us. Cheers erupted whenever a walk-in was granted entry into the store (read: infrequently).

It's my understanding that it wasn't like this last year, but I could be wrong. It just seems like such a bad idea to run it that way. How can you expect people to be patiently waiting with a smile on their faces when it's such an unfair process? I would have happily waited hours longer if it didn't seem like they were just letting walk-ins in at some random point whenever they felt like it.

I'd be interested to see if they're going to have more phones available over the next week. If it's going to be stressful to get one, I'll just wait a few weeks.

L.C.W.
Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 AM

ouch... sorry to hear about your poor experience... I'm kinda glad I didn't bother waiting in line... I almost did, but would have been so much further back than you were... after asking a guy that just walked about around 7:30 and him saying how long the walk-in line was, I knew it was futile...

but frankly, i'm not surprised at all by how you guys were treated by the Somerset Apple people... that store needs some serious management overhaul... I wonder if the experience was better at the Partridge Creek Apple Store, or even some of the local Best Buy stores (although I'm thinking BB would have far fewer stock than the Apple stores... )

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 11:28 AM
ouch... sorry to hear about your poor experience... I'm kinda glad I didn't bother waiting in line... I almost did, but would have been so much further back than you were... after asking a guy that just walked about around 7:30 and him saying how long the walk-in line was, I knew it was futile...

but frankly, i'm not surprised at all by how you guys were treated by the Somerset Apple people... that store needs some serious management overhaul... I wonder if the experience was better at the Partridge Creek Apple Store, or even some of the local Best Buy stores (although I'm thinking BB would have far fewer stock than the Apple stores... )

It just felt like they were teasing us. One woman had to leave at 9:00, and when she went to leave at 8:00, an employee encouraged her to stay, saying that the line would begin to speed up. It didn't. She left a second time after 30 minutes went by and only one walk-in was granted entry.

I just don't get it. :confused:

stellablue96
Jun 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
I was there this morning.

I got there just before 5. They started letting people in the mall and when there were about 40 people in front of me an apple employee came out and said "I THINK we have reached capacity for walk ins. You are more then welcome to stay but you probably will not get a phone". I decided to stay. A lot of people left.

About an hour later they counted again and about 20 people in front of me they were like "This is the cutoff...we think".

Another hour after that they told us we were probably safe.

I walked out with my iphone around noon.

To be honest I thought the employees were very nice. They were never aggravated when we asked questions. They gave us water...bagels...cookies...etc. Yes...there were a ton of people there and they were trying to get everyone through as quickly as possible...but I don't think anyone should be upset with the Apple store..at all.

L.C.W.
Jun 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
7 hr wait... wow.... glad I didn't go...

combine that with the reception issues littering the blog sites and forums right now... i will pass until a) Apple fixes the issue permanently (not just with "bumper" cases) and b) it's available on a carrier other than AT&T.... after a long debate with myself, I truly cannot bring myself to go back to AT&T... especially not with the new data pricing...

but glad you at least got yours after being told a few times that "this may be the cut-off"... how stressful!!! :D

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
I was there this morning.

I got there just before 5. They started letting people in the mall and when there were about 40 people in front of me an apple employee came out and said "I THINK we have reached capacity for walk ins. You are more then welcome to stay but you probably will not get a phone". I decided to stay. A lot of people left.

About an hour later they counted again and about 20 people in front of me they were like "This is the cutoff...we think".

Another hour after that they told us we were probably safe.

I walked out with my iphone around noon.

To be honest I thought the employees were very nice. They were never aggravated when we asked questions. They gave us water...bagels...cookies...etc. Yes...there were a ton of people there and they were trying to get everyone through as quickly as possible...but I don't think anyone should be upset with the Apple store..at all.

I agree that the employees were very nice/helpful and had a great attitude about the whole thing, but that's not really my complaint. I think the process they utilized was unfair, whereby the walk-in line was processed at 1/15th the rate of the reservation line *with no warning* and constant, inaccurate reassurance about processing speed. The misrepresentations were just too much. They should have been candid about it. Plus, there was zero reason to punish the walk-in line. If they had a limited number, they could have processed them at an equal rate and got the walk-ins over with quickly. The reservation people already had the added bonus of being guaranteed a phone. Processing their line so much quicker was BS. Even processing 1 walk-in for every 5 reservations would have been tolerable, but they outright admitted that their policy was 1 for every 15.

Glad you were able to get a phone. I still think it's unfair that you had to wait 5 hours after the store opened when you probably arrived much, much earlier than many of the people in the reservation line that got phones before you - especially since not everyone was able to reserve due to Apple's system troubles. If their process was the same when you left, this means that by the time they hit you (processing 40 people before you), they had processed *600* preorder customers.

cottington
Jun 24, 2010, 01:57 PM
I agree that the employees were very nice/helpful and had a great attitude about the whole thing, but that's not really my complaint. I think the process they utilized was unfair, whereby the walk-in line was processed at 1/15th the rate of the reservation line *with no warning* and constant, inaccurate reassurance about processing speed. The misrepresentations were just too much. They should have been candid about it. Plus, there was zero reason to punish the walk-in line. If they had a limited number, they could have processed them at an equal rate and got the walk-ins over with quickly. The reservation people already had the added bonus of being guaranteed a phone. Processing their line so much quicker was BS. Even processing 1 walk-in for every 5 reservations would have been tolerable, but they outright admitted that their policy was 1 for every 15.

Glad you were able to get a phone. I still think it's unfair that you had to wait 5 hours after the store opened when you probably arrived much, much earlier than many of the people in the reservation line that got phones before you - especially since not everyone was able to reserve due to Apple's system troubles.

I was at Partridge Creek and I waited nearly 5 hours for to get my reserved phone. They also seemed to have a policy of about 1 walk in per 15 reservations (though I can't be sure exactly). In previous years I seem to remember them taking walk ins and reservations nearly equally, but something obviously changed this time. While I can see why you were frustrated (yes, they should be much more open about how they are processing the lines and what to expect), you have to understand that just like you put in the effort to get there at 5, a lot of people put in a lot of effort and went through a lot of frustration to get pre orders on the 15th, and therefore I think their line should move faster. 15-to-1 faster? Maybe not. 5-to-1 faster? Maybe. Nobody expected demand quite this high. The iPhone was a lot harder to get this year and there are a lot of places to put the blame, but the individual Apple retail stores are probably don't deserve it.

stellablue96
Jun 24, 2010, 02:05 PM

Glad you were able to get a phone. I still think it's unfair that you had to wait 5 hours after the store opened when you probably arrived much, much earlier than many of the people in the reservation line that got phones before you - especially since not everyone was able to reserve due to Apple's system troubles. If their process was the same when you left, this means that by the time they hit you (processing 40 people before you), they had processed *600* preorder customers.

Pretty sure thata how they do it at all stores...in fact I think it was even talked about on this thread. If not in this thread then the 1 for every 15 was definitely talked about on the boards.

I mean...people pre-order for a reason. Yes...I was not able to pre-order my phone (my account was f-ed up) but people would not pre-order unless they were given priority.

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
I was at Partridge Creek and I waited nearly 5 hours for to get my reserved phone. They also seemed to have a policy of about 1 walk in per 15 reservations (though I can't be sure exactly). In previous years I seem to remember them taking walk ins and reservations nearly equally, but something obviously changed this time. While I can see why you were frustrated (yes, they should be much more open about how they are processing the lines and what to expect), you have to understand that just like you put in the effort to get there at 5, a lot of people put in a lot of effort and went through a lot of frustration to get pre orders on the 15th, and therefore I think their line should move faster. 15-to-1 faster? Maybe not. 5-to-1 faster? Maybe. Nobody expected demand quite this high. The iPhone was a lot harder to get this year and there are a lot of places to put the blame, but the individual Apple retail stores are probably don't deserve it.

Most people I talked to in the walk-in line went through just as much trouble to preorder, and just didn't get that lucky break. One girl said she tried preordering all day long and just couldn't get through the system.

Obviously, this wasn't the case for me (I was out of town for work), so I would have been fine with some disparity in processing speed. This was just absurd, though. Like I said, preorders already got special treatment because they were guaranteed a phone, whereas (it seemed) under 100 walk-ins could get phones. That's a pretty hefty advantage as it is. This policy allowed preorders who arrived hours later than walk-ins to happily walk out with phones much sooner than said walk-ins. It's just a bummer policy.

I figured it was a regionwide or nationwide policy. I doubt individual stores were given creative control over how their launch day would proceed. Like I said, I think the indivdual employees were aces (other than grossly misrepresenting how long it would take for walk-ins), but the launch was bad policy this year. I am ordinarily a very patient person, but I'm not going to sit and wait for hours solely because I'm in a second-class line.

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Pretty sure thata how they do it at all stores...in fact I think it was even talked about on this thread. If not in this thread then the 1 for every 15 was definitely talked about on the boards.

I mean...people pre-order for a reason. Yes...I was not able to pre-order my phone (my account was f-ed up) but people would not pre-order unless they were given priority.

People who preorder are given priority, aside from the 1-to-15 thing. They are guaranteed a phone. There are very limited walk-in phones available. Like I said, no need to have such an extreme disparity in treatment, ESPECIALLY since a good chunk of the walk-in line tried to preorder and simply weren't as lucky as the others due to system issues beyond their control.

Also, many people who preordered and chose to pick it up in the store chose to do so because they *wanted* to wait in line! They could have had home delivery day of if they didn't want the line. So again - why punish the very few walk-in customers that were able to get phones and arrived 2+ hours early? Could have processed them quickly, then spent 80% of the day focusing entirely on the preorder customers' needs. It doesn't even really make sense from a marketing perspective.

iphone quatro
Jun 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think no matter what happened today, people were going to be upset about something. There is no way for Apple stores to process that many accounts in a timely manner or organized manner without some frustration.

alstromerian
Jun 24, 2010, 03:38 PM
I think no matter what happened today, people were going to be upset about something. There is no way for Apple stores to process that many accounts in a timely manner or organized manner without some frustration.

Oh for sure, people are generally impatient and hate waiting. Trust me, having worked in book stores for the Harry Potter releases, I am very, very sympathetic to retail launches. I get it. But I will say this: the store did an excellent job of processing accounts in a timely and organized manner. That was very, very well done and I will absolutely give them credit for that. I'm just saying that the underlying policy of who got processed when was fundamentally unfair. Not individual stores' faults at all - just a bad corporate move.

I'm upset about it, but not unreasonable or unrealistic. Just super disappointed that the process was changed from previous years to put walk-ins at a low, low priority. I'm not expecting to be able to get a phone for weeks, but well, that's how the universe works sometimes. :cool: Oh well!

dkny3362
Jun 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
Partridge Creek was BS!!! Security tol me lines wouldn't start til 5am and based on previous yrs that's what happened. Got there at 4am and there were 130 walk Ins ahead of us! Ok so we waited. At 8:30ish the store employee was doing a smooth count whatever that is! So they say the cut off was 7 people in front of us and our chances on a phone were slim. I didn't trust them and their counting so I wanted to wait longer. We waited around til finally at around noon, the line barely moved at all and we were about to give up! This man was 17th in line waited 3.5 hrs for non reservation phone. Ridiculous! Whoever says it was 1 to 15 ratio of reservations getting in is lying!!! It was more like 1 walk in to 50 reservations!!! I'm not lying or exaggerating! There must have been 600-700 reservations people that passed us while we waited. At around noon they counted again and said we looked safe. Guess when we got into the store??? 4:30pm!!! Yep, over 12 hrs of waiting and we finally got our phones. It was insane! I will never in my life wait in a line again. The ratio was no where near 1:15 and I'm sure ull know I'm not lying if a bunch of us actually waited the whole time. So many people behind us left so many people cheated their way to the front. It was a nightmare but I'm thankful in the end we got phones because I wouldve cried after sitting all day and leaving empty handed.

L.C.W.
Jun 24, 2010, 09:24 PM
Also, many people who preordered and chose to pick it up in the store chose to do so because they *wanted* to wait in line! They could have had home delivery day of if they didn't want the line. So again - why punish the very few walk-in customers that were able to get phones and arrived 2+ hours early? Could have processed them quickly, then spent 80% of the day focusing entirely on the preorder customers' needs. It doesn't even really make sense from a marketing perspective.

I agree with this... I mean, anyone pre-ordering had very little reason to pick up in store... they just wanted to be "cool" and say "hey I 'waited' in line" ... BS honestly.... pre-orders should be home delivery only IMO, or have a completely separate day for pre-orders, like 1 day prior or something... I agree 100% from all the posts describing how it went down, that the walk-ins were treated like utter ****.... shameful on Apple's part if you ask me...

big sity
Jun 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
I agree with this... I mean, anyone pre-ordering had very little reason to pick up in store... they just wanted to be "cool" and say "hey I 'waited' in line" ... BS honestly.... pre-orders should be home delivery only IMO, or have a completely separate day for pre-orders, like 1 day prior or something... I agree 100% from all the posts describing how it went down, that the walk-ins were treated like utter ****.... shameful on Apple's part if you ask me...

I arrived at the apple store around 845 and there was about 3 people ahead of me. I was in and out under 30 mins. I am SOOOO glad I decided to wait till this evening to pick up my reserved iPhone and its a first iPhone for me at that and I can't put it down!!

iphone quatro
Jun 25, 2010, 08:22 AM

This is not entirely accurate. I wanted to pre-order with delivery, but apples website only allowed me to ship to the address listed on my At&T bill. This is my home address and no one would be home to sign for it and if I did the pre-sign thing for fed-ex, I didn't want it sitting around on my porch all day.

The other thing is...from the reserved peoples point of view, why would I fight online all day to reserve something and have to compete with walk-in customers all day as well? I think you are onto something though with having pre-orders being on one day and walk-ins the next. Just my 2 cents.

alstromerian
Jun 25, 2010, 08:36 AM
This is not entirely accurate. I wanted to pre-order with delivery, but apples website only allowed me to ship to the address listed on my At&T bill. This is my home address and no one would be home to sign for it and if I did the pre-sign thing for fed-ex, I didn't want it sitting around on my porch all day.

The other thing is...from the reserved peoples point of view, why would I fight online all day to reserve something and have to compete with walk-in customers all day as well? I think you are onto something though with having pre-orders being on one day and walk-ins the next. Just my 2 cents.

But if you had the time to wait all day, couldn't you have waited at home for a tracked delivery? This may not have been the case for you, but probably was the case for many people waiting in the reserve line the morning of. Still, I get what you're saying - I would have had to ask my dad to chill out at our house for us if we had been able to preorder.

I don't think reserves would have had to compete with walk-in customers "all day" as there were only 100 or so walk-in phones to be processed. They could have gotten them over with right in the beginning. Preorders who didn't want to wait the day of could have comfortably walked in any time after 9:00 or 10:00 am to grab their phone sans walk-in customers if they had just gotten the walk-ins over with at a fair rate of pace. Shouldn't have taken more than 2-3 hours to process the limited number of walk-in phones.

I think people will still be willing to fight online all day just for the guarantee that they can pick up a phone within the first couple of days and will be there waiting for them. No preorder and everything is left to chance.

Agree - they probably should have just said "no walk-ins" if they were doing to handle it this way. That would have been totally reasonable!

Were you able to get your phone without trouble?

iphone quatro
Jun 25, 2010, 09:13 AM
But if you had the time to wait all day, couldn't you have waited at home for a tracked delivery? This may not have been the case for you, but probably was the case for many people waiting in the reserve line the morning of. Still, I get what you're saying - I would have had to ask my dad to chill out at our house for us if we had been able to preorder.

I don't think reserves would have had to compete with walk-in customers "all day" as there were only 100 or so walk-in phones to be processed. They could have gotten them over with right in the beginning. Preorders who didn't want to wait the day of could have comfortably walked in any time after 9:00 or 10:00 am to grab their phone sans walk-in customers if they had just gotten the walk-ins over with at a fair rate of pace. Shouldn't have taken more than 2-3 hours to process the limited number of walk-in phones.

I think people will still be willing to fight online all day just for the guarantee that they can pick up a phone within the first couple of days and will be there waiting for them. No preorder and everything is left to chance.

Agree - they probably should have just said "no walk-ins" if they were doing to handle it this way. That would have been totally reasonable!

Were you able to get your phone without trouble?

Its a little more in-depth than that, but the bottom line was I was not going to be home, or near it, but could be at Somerset.

I did get it, but was there for 3 1/2 hours. I also arrived at 10:30 because as you said I wanted to let things die down...obviously this was not the case. Honestly they should probably let you reserve it for more than 24 hours, I would not have had a problem coming back today to get it. If anything, I think they should have had salesmen dedicated to each line and just process each person accordingly. I'm starting to think it was a marketing stunt by Apple to keep lines looking long. Because as of today I have heard that many stores still have phones to sell. I have not heard about somerset? anyone heard?

randy98mtu
Jun 25, 2010, 09:28 AM
I couldn't even call Sumerset yesterday. I wanted to find out if they had bumpers before driving over there and I was always "more than 8 callers ahead of you" I finally got through with only 7 callers ahead of me at 8:30 and they were out of bumpers.

Sorry to hear launch day was such a mess over there. I got lucky and got a delivery pre-order through on the 15th. Even that took me 5 hours off and on. I think as suggested, they should have done reservations only yesterday, and walk-ins today with anything that was left over. I can't believe how crazy this launch was. Probably because they allowed upgrades for all launch day 3GS's. I know I would have waited had they not done that.

alstromerian
Jun 25, 2010, 09:39 AM
Its a little more in-depth than that, but the bottom line was I was not going to be home, or near it, but could be at Somerset.

I did get it, but was there for 3 1/2 hours. I also arrived at 10:30 because as you said I wanted to let things die down...obviously this was not the case. Honestly they should probably let you reserve it for more than 24 hours, I would not have had a problem coming back today to get it. If anything, I think they should have had salesmen dedicated to each line and just process each person accordingly. I'm starting to think it was a marketing stunt by Apple to keep lines looking long. Because as of today I have heard that many stores still have phones to sell. I have not heard about somerset? anyone heard?

Actually, yes. I called today at 8:30 and they told me they "got a new shipment" and have a super long line. Looks like your theory may be correct. :D