PDA

View Full Version : Pre-order Question

Mx356
Jun 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
This may be a dumb question but I plan on getting the new iphone which will be my first one. My question is will I be able to pre-order and then set my account up or do I need to have an AT&T account setup and then pre-order? I know it may be a stupid question but I was just curious cause my verizon account isn't up till after the pre-order. Thanks for any help.

monksealpup
Jun 8, 2010, 07:59 PM
Part of the setup is done in the pre-order process. The rest is done through a special interface in iTunes (or, if you get it at an AT&T store, I'm sure they can use their computer systems there as an alternative).

Somewhere during this process you will specify your old phone number to port (if you care to) and you'll need your Verizon bill information (account number). AT&T handles this on the back end to close your Verizon account and port your number. Once that's done, you receive a text message saying your number is ported and active so calls will route to your new iPhone. In the interim, you are issued a temporary AT&T number that you can call from/people can call you at until the number port is complete. Typically the porting process takes 30m-4h.