PDA

View Full Version : WWDC Software Notes: Safari 5, Xcode 4, iTunes 9.2

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/08/wwdc-software-notes-safari-5-xcode-4-itunes-9-2/)

After all of yesterday's news regarding iPhone 4, iOS 4, Safari 5 and other topics, things are beginning to settle down a bit today, allowing details and smaller items of interest to come to the foreground. In particular, Apple released a number of software updates for both developers and general users yesterday, and details of these releases are beginning to come to light.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/08/162936-safari_gmail_checker.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/08/162936-safari_reload_button.png

- Safari 5: Released to all users (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/07/apple-announces-safari-5/) yesterday, Safari 5 offers speed enhancements, increased HTML5 support, Reader functionality for facilitating reading of articles on cluttered pages, and new support for third-party extensions to add functionality to the browser application. One of the highlights demoed during Apple's Safari session last night at WWDC was Panic's "Coda Notes" (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/07/panic-demos-coda-notes-extension-for-safari-5/), an extension for annotating and sharing webpages. Developers are already quickly pushing out useful extensions for Safari, listings of which are being collated (http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/) on several sites around the Internet. Some interesting ones:

- Gmail Checker (http://lifefrombelow.com/gmail-checker/)
- Reload Button (http://siracusafamily.org/safari/extensions/)
- Amazon Search Bar (http://echodot.com/creations/amazon_search_bar/)

- Xcode 4: Released yesterday to developers at WWDC, the developer preview (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/news/monday.html) version of Xcode 4 is subject to Apple's non-disclosure policy for conference attendees, and thus only a few details have managed to leak out so far. Among the interesting claims coming out, however, is that Interface Builder has been integrated into Xcode, creating a single-window "unified interface" for the development environment.Xcode 4 Developer Preview is the revolutionary new development environment for building Mac, iPhone, and iPad applications. With it, you can write better code, faster. WWDC attendees can log in and download this new version of Apple's Integrated Development Environment.- iTunes 9.2: A beta version of iTunes 9.2 was seeded to developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/07/ios-4-0-golden-master-and-itunes-9-2-seeded-to-developers/) alongside the iOS 4 Golden Master Candidate. iTunes 9.2 will be required for iPhone 4 compatibility and supports a number of new features, including support for iBooks enhancements such as PDF compatibility and syncing of bookmarks and other data across iOS 4 devices, app folder organization within iTunes for iOS 4 devices, faster backups for iOS 4 devices, and scrolling and other performance improvements.

Article Link: WWDC Software Notes: Safari 5, Xcode 4, iTunes 9.2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/08/wwdc-software-notes-safari-5-xcode-4-itunes-9-2/)

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
Oh, great. THAT's what I need. A faster way to spend money on Amazon!

I really love the G-mail checker in theory, but I can't think of any place I don't already have G-Mail synced with a mail program, so I don't think I'd ever use it.

supremedesigner
Jun 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
Sweet! Can't wait for FireBug, HTML Validator, Screengrab, Unlinker, MeasureIt and Colorzilla extension :D

BlizzardBomb
Hmm... I may be being a bit too cynical here but why would you want a reload button? There's one at the right-hand side of the address bar.

Eidorian
Safari 5 is an improvement but nothing unique. I still wish the shortcuts to switch between tabs weren't as complicated. Extensions are going to be the biggest addition.

Consultant
Jun 8, 2010, 03:37 PM
Woot reload button!

Not sure why Apple moved it to the right...

Makes more sense on the left especially for people with wide screen.

DavidLeblond
Jun 8, 2010, 03:38 PM
IB integrated into XCode? It's about time!

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2010, 03:38 PM
I am using the near GM seed of 9.2 and it's an improvement in speed. Whenever I would launch a TV show, the beachball would show for a few seconds and then play. Now that same show runs immediately with no delay. Scrolling my music is faster, as is coverflow. Granted I only have 1050 items to go through, but still, it's an improvement.

slicecom
Jun 8, 2010, 03:40 PM
CMD+R is my reload button and Gmail is IMAP'd in Mail and pushed to my iPhone. Let me know when there is a "Tabs on top" extension. ;)

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2010, 03:40 PM
Someone fill me in here. People always go on and on about how Firefox is so great because of all the plugins.

Are these Safari 'extensions' the same thing? Or are they not quite the same?

Just wondering if that's something FF users will still be bragging about or if this will shut them up.

orangerizzla
Jun 8, 2010, 03:42 PM
Let's hope some of the 'smaller items of interest' might include a new Mac Pro ;)

Consultant
Jun 8, 2010, 03:44 PM
Someone fill me in here. People always go on and on about how Firefox is so great because of all the plugins.

Just wondering if that's something FF users will still be bragging about or if this will shut them up.

In Firefoxi I use
1. Flash blocker
2. Video downloader (don't remember the name)

Safari has flash blocker extension for ages, and the version from Safari 4 works with Safari 5.

In Chrome I also use Flash blocker.

tlauer1
Jun 8, 2010, 03:44 PM

Just to add to your post: Have you ever looked through the library of Firefox extensions? About 98% of them are garbage.

cookieme
Jun 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
Xcode 4 only available to WWDC attendees?! WTF?! I'm a registered iPhone Developer (paid) and don't have access to it? Very odd that Apple allows access to iOS 4, iTunes 9.2 and iAds but not Xcode 4 preview.

BlizzardBomb
CMD+R is my reload button and Gmail is IMAP'd in Mail and pushed to my iPhone. Let me know when there is a "Tabs on top" extension. ;)

I miss "tabs on top" from the beta. It's the best bit of Google Chrome for me, just seems like a more logical place to put them.

Thomas Harte
IB integrated into XCode? It's about time!

I've never understood this point of view. Formulating it as an unbiased question: what workflow changes do you expect to be the result of this change?

supremedesigner
Just to add to your post: Have you ever looked through the library of Firefox extensions? About 98% of them are garbage.

About 2% of extensions I uses are non-garbage :) See my 2nd post above on the top ;)

Trooperof3
Jun 8, 2010, 03:48 PM
much needed improvements for Safari.. can't wait.

(okay, so where do i drop these bad boy plug in's to get them to work?)

Jason S.
The Reload Extension is actually one of the Sample Extensions created by Apple. So you can thank them for that. :p

Thomas Harte
Oh, and any news on a Keywurl-or-equivalent (eg, being able to type 'g hat' into the URL bar to search Google for the word 'hat', as per Firefox) as a proper extension? Or has anybody who has checked the documentation even figured out whether that's possible?

afd
any info on itunes 9.2 hardware requirements? Just had a sudden panic that it might be Intel only. Having just bought an iPad, and iPhone 4 just around the corner I don't think I could afford to replace my G5 iMac.

DavidLeblond
Jun 8, 2010, 03:49 PM
I've never understood this point of view. Formulating it as an unbiased question: what workflow changes do you expect to be the result of this change?

#1 Having XCode check to see if the XIBs and NIBs need saving before building.
#2 Having the IB elements close when I close a project.
#3 Having IB close when I close XCode.

Really though, it's all about #1. That gets me every time.

Also can I ask for a Save All button?

EDIT: Also it would be nice if IB didn't have 50 billion windows floating around for every XIB. Don't know if the new XCode does this or not, but I hate that. (Hate on MS all you want, but Visual Studio does this right)

Stridder44
Jun 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
My big question: Will there be some sort of official page for Safari Extensions? Or does one exist already? To understand what I mean, see Firefox's official add-on's page (https://addons.mozilla.org/). Because as awesome as having extensions for Safari is, it's kind of hindering if Apple doesn't support a giant "gathering place" for developers to post extensions.

CarlisleUnited
Jun 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
When does iBooks become available for the iPhone and will it be iPhone 4 exclusive? Tried to get books on my 3G earlier and it prompted me to download iBooks which I then couldn't run on the iPhone.

starnox
Jun 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
Xcode 4 only available to WWDC attendees?! WTF?! I'm a registered iPhone Developer (paid) and don't have access to it? Very odd that Apple allows access to iOS 4, iTunes 9.2 and iAds but not Xcode 4 preview.

Agreed. We've paid so why not give it to us??!! Just because we can't all travel around the world to go to a conference.

nagromme
Jun 8, 2010, 03:53 PM
app folder organization within iTunes for iOS 4 devices

I hadn’t even thought of that, but I need it! I have horrific app sprawl now (about 20 pages of apps, only 11 visible) and wrangling those folders on my Mac screen will really help me get organized quickly.

Plasmastrike
Jun 8, 2010, 03:55 PM
Cheers to the Gmail checker. Thanks for that!

cookieme
Jun 8, 2010, 03:57 PM
My big question: Will there be some sort of official page for Safari Extensions? Or does one exist already? To understand what I mean, see Firefox's official add-on's page (https://addons.mozilla.org/). Because as awesome as having extensions for Safari is, it's kind of hindering if Apple doesn't support a giant "gathering place" for developers to post extensions.

See this:

Safari Extensions Gallery.
When you’re ready to share your Safari Extensions, you can submit them to the Safari Extensions Gallery, which will open later this summer. The Safari Extensions Gallery will give users an easy place to find your extensions and download them from your website.

Thomas Harte
Jun 8, 2010, 03:58 PM
#1 Having XCode check to see if the XIBs and NIBs need saving before building.
#2 Having the IB elements close when I close a project.
#3 Having IB close when I close XCode.

Really though, it's all about #1. That gets me every time.

Also can I ask for a Save All button?

EDIT: Also it would be nice if IB didn't have 50 billion windows floating around for every XIB. Don't know if the new XCode does this or not, but I hate that. (Hate on MS all you want, but Visual Studio does this right)

Actually, I get caught by (1) at least twice a week so I think you've immediately persuaded me. Didn't realise I was such a pushover.

I actually quite like the windowing arrangement of Interface Builder though. And I have Xcode set to the condensed layout (ie, one window listing source files, another window opens for all source files). I've recently been doing some Eclipse development and the all-in-one approach is really bothering me — to my mind it makes temporarily hiding the bits you're not interested in a lot more work. Conversely, I'm a big fan of tabbed browsing because it makes getting to the thing you're interested in a lot easier. So I guess it's all measure and degree...

pdjudd
Jun 8, 2010, 04:00 PM

That's coming this summer according to the main safari PR.

When does iBooks become available for the iPhone and will it be iPhone 4 exclusive? Tried to get books on my 3G earlier and it prompted me to download iBooks which I then couldn't run on the iPhone.

Since it's an App Store app and not integrated, it's probably just going to require OS 4.0 which will be out in a couple of weeks.

MacGiver
Jun 8, 2010, 04:01 PM
I still find Firefox better...not sure it is faster but user interface is better...for instance if I want to quit FF I am asked if i want to save my opened tabs...Safari does not do that.
What do you guys think? FF 3.6.3 or S.5?

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah, the main reason I've never cared about Firefox!

Since I've never used them on FF, that's why I'm asking if these are the same things. They LOOK the same, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
The nice part about having IB and Xcode as separate apps, is that I've configured spaces to give each it's own space. That way when I'm in IB I don't have anything else cluttering up my screen.

Anonymous Freak
Jun 8, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have, in the course of work as an on-site computer repair person, witnessed installations of Internet Explorer where more than 50% of the vertical screen real estate was taken up by toolbars.

I *REALLY* hope Apple makes some limit on number of toolbars. One or two. If you try to add a third, a chooser pops up "which bar(s) do you wish to keep?" In the chooser, there should be a not-checked-by-default "allow more toolbars" option. Even if you check it, when you go to install another toolbar, the chooser should pop up again, with the box UN-checked by default. The chooser should warn you of the folly of using more than 1-2 toolbars; and third-party toolbars should be readily distinguishable from the standard Safari toolbar.

We do *NOT* need Safari to be the recipient of a dozen simultaneous toolbars.

YoGramMamma
Jun 8, 2010, 04:04 PM
ok so after having to search online on just how to even enable extensions so i can install it.. i finally got the gmail extenuation installed right. Now, i want to know how to tell it which account to fetch. I have a few, and I need to know how to tell it which one I want it to check....

anyone here had any luck figuring that out?

Eidorian
Jun 8, 2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, the main reason I've never cared about Firefox!

Since I've never used them on FF, that's why I'm asking if these are the same things. They LOOK the same, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.I prefer the keyboard shortcuts under FireFox and Chrome. It's annoying to need to install the Logitech software to get my mouse to work with Finder and browsers though.

Stridder44
Jun 8, 2010, 04:05 PM
See this:

Excellent, thank you.

creator2456
Jun 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

List of all extensions currently available.

Already installed the Youtube HTML5 Fullscreen (http://www.cyberhq.nl/2010/06/08/restore-full-screen-playback-in-youtubes-html5-player.html) one and it works great. Can't wait for more to come.

From the Safari 5 thread.

zhell
Jun 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
AdBlock for Safari compiled for immediate use (it works great):
http://simon.heimlicher.com/hints/safari/adblock

Thomas Harte
Jun 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
ok so after having to search online on just how to even enable extensions so i can install it.. i finally got the gmail extenuation installed right. Now, i want to know how to tell it which account to fetch. I have a few, and I need to know how to tell it which one I want it to check....

Per the Tumblr page, it's the gmail attached to whichever Google account you are currently logged in under in the browser proper.

benthewraith
Jun 8, 2010, 04:10 PM
Donde esta refresh button? It's not there when right-clicking and going to customize.

diamond.g
Jun 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
Has iTunes always used multiple cores/threads when optimizing photos?

cvaldes
Jun 8, 2010, 04:12 PM
Here's what the article says:

"Released yesterday to developers at WWDC, the developer preview version of Xcode 4 is subject to Apple's non-disclosure policy for conference attendees, and thus only a few details have managed to leak out so far."

Sounds like conference attendees have a sneak preview.

Patience. You and I will get Xcode 4 in time.

cookieme
Jun 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
Here's what the article says:

"Released yesterday to developers at WWDC, the developer preview version of Xcode 4 is subject to Apple's non-disclosure policy for conference attendees, and thus only a few details have managed to leak out so far."

Sounds like conference attendees have a sneak preview.

Patience. You and I will get Xcode 4 in time.

Hehe I'm sure we will :P However, I still don't understand why other NDA software (iOS 4, iTunes 9.2 etc) are available to us and Xcode 4 is an exception. You would think that Apple wants all of us paid developers to get our hands on the new IDE, so that we can start complaining :D

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 04:20 PM
Is anyone else surprised that more info about Xcode 4 hasn't leaked out yet? No screenshots or anything and it's been like 24-hours since it's been made available to the WWDC attendees.

Jun 8, 2010, 04:21 PM
hope the "reload" will become "stop/reload" and will remove the duplicate one from the loading/address bar... ;)

cvaldes
Jun 8, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hehe I'm sure we will :P However, I still don't understand why other NDA software (iOS 4, iTunes 9.2 etc) are available to us and Xcode 4 is an exception. You would think that Apple wants all of us paid developers to get our hands on the new IDE, so that we can start complaining :D
If you're asking for a highly specific and detailed answer from Apple, you have come to the wrong place.

Maybe Apple doesn't think it's ready for primetime and would like to keep some of its nastier warts under covers until they can be fixed. (That's purely speculative, by the way. I'm not attending WWDC nor have I located a copy of the Xcode 4 developer preview beta.)

Why does Apple need to waste additional download bandwidth? You're already complaining anyhow. You'll have plenty of time to complain later too. ;)

Maximillian
Jun 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
Very annoyed that the Amazon Search includes the referal ID for the dev. I'll stick to my Amazon search bookmarklet (command-2) that does the same thing but requires no mousing to a text field.

MikhailT
Jun 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
Agreed. We've paid so why not give it to us??!! Just because we can't all travel around the world to go to a conference.

Everything demoed there will be released to the developers shortly after WWDC or till the next milestone build of the software. The preview is just a sneak peek of the software for the WWDC attendants as well as having the engineers there along with the developers for collaboration.

I hadn’t even thought of that, but I need it! I have horrific app sprawl now (about 20 pages of apps, only 11 visible) and wrangling those folders on my Mac screen will really help me get organized quickly.

I have shorten 6 pages worth of apps to one page using all folders via iTunes 9.2. I only use spotlight to launch apps, so the folder organization based on app type is pretty amazing. If I need to just play a game and have no idea, I'll just open the games folder. The way you organize apps with folders in iTunes 9.2 is the same way you organize apps on iPhone, you drag the app on top of another app and it'll automatically create a folder.

kirky29
Jun 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
I use ClickToFlash to block Flash, well, makes it so I have to 'Click-to-Flash' and CosmoPod, which adds a button and lets me download pretty much any Video on the web. Also makes it so when you hold down shift and click on it, it'll load that video out the browser and into Quicktime/VLC.
Comes in super handy!
They both worked on Safari 4 and still work in Safari 5.
That's pretty much all I need. But, I am eager to see what's made!

Something for Facebook, maybe?

One thing though-for a downside. I can see apps bundled with things like 'Toolbars', asking you to install Ask or Yahoo Toolbar! Ughhh.

:)

Space Moose
Jun 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
I still find Firefox better...not sure it is faster but user interface is better...for instance if I want to quit FF I am asked if i want to save my opened tabs...Safari does not do that.

Safari saves your window/tab state automatically (even if the application is force-quit or crashes horribly). You can then, at any time, select History>Reopen All Windows from Last Session. It doesn't automatically restore the last session, but personally I like that. You can always assign a hotkey for that behaviour in System Preferences.

That FF prompts you before quitting when it could just as easily save the state isn't what I would call 'better interface'. Faced with my browser popping a dialog every time I want it to quit, versus requiring me to hit one hotkey when I want my session restored, I'll chose the latter.

Space

Surreal
Jun 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
ugh.

it would be nice to have a look at xcode 4. but that note about building apps you plan to submit sobered me up a bit.

any news on when it will be ready for prime time?

surferfromuk
Jun 8, 2010, 04:29 PM
With Safari 5 the flash banner at the top of the page is making my page loads and scrolls glitchy - anyone else getting this ?

finalcut
Jun 8, 2010, 04:36 PM
Safari 5 is an improvement but nothing unique. I still wish the shortcuts to switch between tabs weren't as complicated. Extensions are going to be the biggest addition.

indeed, nothing unique, I am still waiting to be able to add separators between bookmarks! :eek:

kirky29
Jun 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
The Reload Extension is great! Something I've missed from the older versions :)

ryanasimov
Jun 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
It's ridiculous that after 5 major versions of Safari the popup blocker is either off or on; no way to manage sites.

milo
Jun 8, 2010, 04:48 PM
What am I missing here? Why add a reload button when the app already has one (and also a key command for it)?

DesmoPilot
Jun 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
After using S5 I still much prefer Chrome as it's still noticeably faster.

Cougarcat
Jun 8, 2010, 05:01 PM
What am I missing here? Why add a reload button when the app already has one (and also a key command for it)?

Because it's tiny and not easily clickable.

But I agree, command-r is the way to go.

milo
Jun 8, 2010, 05:04 PM

Wow, people need that? Yeesh.

What's next? Button XYZ: small size version, Button XYZ: medium size version, Button XYZ: large size version...

weezer160
Jun 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
Why is there a red icon with the number 3 in it?

Oestberg
Jun 8, 2010, 05:11 PM
Why is there a red icon with the number 3 in it?

Gmail Checker.

blindzero
Jun 8, 2010, 05:14 PM
Is anyone else having issues with Safari 5 running Youtube and any site with YouTube embedded in it?

zim
Jun 8, 2010, 05:15 PM
In Firefoxi I use
1. Flash blocker
2. Video downloader (don't remember the name)

Safari has flash blocker extension for ages, and the version from Safari 4 works with Safari 5.

In Chrome I also use Flash blocker.

I'd also add that Click-to-Flash on Safari is much nicer then what Firefox has for Flash blocking.. just my opinion. I have seen Flash content get around the Flash blocker in Firefox, not sure how.

Icedvovo46
Jun 8, 2010, 05:19 PM
Woot!

Blue progress bar is back in Safari 5!

Hurrah!

AaronMT
Jun 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
Have we heard any more details about the pending release of 10.6.4? I want my graphic driver improvements!

Erwin-Br
Jun 8, 2010, 05:24 PM

Yeah, but so are 98% of the apps in the App store. Yet it is one of the major selling points of the iPhone.

Even as little as 1 or 2 extensions can make a whole lot of difference for your web browsing (or developing!) experience.

starnox
Jun 8, 2010, 05:28 PM
So apparently Xcode 4 has native SVN and GIT support with a time-machine like browser for viewing version trees and differences and a code fixing app.

a.jfred
Jun 8, 2010, 05:29 PM
Give me AdBlock Plus, and I'm happy :)

AKlrt
Jun 8, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have Safari 5 for Windows 7. Why don't I have the little apple in the upper left hand corner and those little colored circles? :(

zhell
Jun 8, 2010, 05:46 PM
Give me AdBlock Plus, and I'm happy :)
There's a port of the Chrome extension "AdBlock for Chrome":
http://safariadblock.com/
But that site does not have a compiled version, i.e. you cannot add it to Safari. The following site has a compiled extension, ready to install:
http://simon.heimlicher.com/hints/safari/adblock

puckhead193
Jun 8, 2010, 05:48 PM
anyone know how to enable Extensions. When I tried to install the gmail one, it says Extensions aren't enabled. :confused:

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 05:50 PM
So apparently Xcode 4 has native SVN and GIT support with a time-machine like browser for viewing version trees and differences and a code fixing app.

What's "a code fixing app?" Is it like a hardcore static analyzer I wonder?

kirky29
Jun 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
anyone know how to enable Extensions. When I tried to install the gmail one, it says Extensions aren't enabled. :confused:

Go into Safari Prefs, click on Advance - click the Show Developer check box.
Then in the Developer menu (file,edit etc) click Enable Extensions.

Then they're all shown in Safari Prefs

Anuba
Jun 8, 2010, 05:59 PM

The reload icon may be tiny but if you hover around it, you'll find that the hit area is as large as the buttons on the left (back/forward etc). Try it. When the yellow tooltip label pops up, you're inside the hit area. Then try the same on, say, the back button. You'll find that Reload actually has a larger hit area than the other buttons, it just doesn't have a frame around it.

Wow, people need that? Yeesh.

What's next? Button XYZ: small size version, Button XYZ: medium size version, Button XYZ: large size version...
Well, I personally don't mind small buttons but apparently Apple does, because everytime someone who's coming from Windows complains about Apple's Menu Bar being stuck at the top of the screen, they get a long winded speech about Fitt's Law. But if they're concerned about Fitt's Law, why do they also have microscopic buttons in their UI (the 'traffic light' buttons, for example)? Fitt's Law isn't just about putting things on the edges on the screen for easy targeting, it's also about making things in the middle of the screen easy to target, and a 12x10 icon (the reload arrow) is not a good example of that.

dsalehipour
Jun 8, 2010, 05:59 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed or talked about it but there is a totally new interface with looking into the source coding in Safari 5 called "Elements." You can get to it one way by right clicking on any website page and clicking "Inspect Element." There are charts, timelines, extremely organized folders of scripts, images, and coding.

I find it to be really cool!

brymaster
Jun 8, 2010, 06:03 PM
Where is 10.6.4?

Thomas Harte
Jun 8, 2010, 06:03 PM

SVN has been built into Xcode since version 1.5, though Git would be new and the implementation is really rather poor. Each working copy of a file or directory is flagged as such with filesystem level metadata, with the effect that half the time when you add something to your project that's already in the filing system Xcode decides to keep it separately from your SVN repository. I've yet to figure out exactly the rules that lead to that misfeature.

Could the code fixing app just be a derivative of the existing static analyser?

mdriftmeyer
Jun 8, 2010, 06:07 PM

You paid $99 for the iPhone SDK. You didn't pay $1599 and/or aren't an ADC Select or better member.

This shouldn't surprise you that you have to wait on pre-release XCode 4 as it's part of Mac OS X and it's Developer Tool chain that you haven't paid to receive advanced betas.

Stella
Jun 8, 2010, 06:11 PM

-Firefox takes an age to start up
+Firebug - far better GUI than Web Inspector
+Safari has the Top Sites
+Firefox can manage popups on a site basis
+Firefox can manage cookies on a site basis
-Both Firefox and Safari are both memory hogs

Personally, I prefer Safari, but FF has far better functionality. The long start up time of FF kills me.

goMac
Jun 8, 2010, 06:19 PM
You paid $99 for the iPhone SDK. You didn't pay $1599 and/or aren't an ADC Select or better member.

This shouldn't surprise you that you have to wait on pre-release XCode 4 as it's part of Mac OS X and it's Developer Tool chain that you haven't paid to receive advanced betas.

I'm ADC Select and I don't get XCode 4.

In addition, Apple's gotten rid of ADC Select/Premier, so once my membership expires, I can't renew.

Sijmen
Jun 8, 2010, 06:21 PM

ADC Select members are also left out as the beta is only available to WWDC attendees (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/news/monday.html). Additionally, ADC Select/Premier etc. has been replaced by the new $100 Mac Developer Program (http://developer.apple.com/programs/mac/).

And obviously, Xcode is part of the iPhone toolchain as much as it is part of the Mac toolchain.

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 06:29 PM
ADC Select members are also left out as the beta is only available to WWDC attendees (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/news/monday.html). Additionally, ADC Select/Premier etc. has been replaced by the new $100 Mac Developer Program (http://developer.apple.com/programs/mac/).

And obviously, Xcode is part of the iPhone toolchain as much as it is part of the Mac toolchain.

Exactly. This decision is total crap on Apple's part. You spend several hundred dollars/year for early access to releases, and then they limit it to only WWDC attendees. It's not like they're releasing something extra early just for WWDC people. If WWDC didn't exist, it would be released to all paid developers at this point.

Anuba
Jun 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Exactly. This decision is total crap on Apple's part. You spend several hundred dollars/year for early access to releases, and then they limit it to only WWDC attendees. It's not like they're releasing something extra early just for WWDC people. If WWDC didn't exist, it would be released to all paid developers at this point.
I guess they wanted to give WWDC attendees something exclusive this year to compensate for the fact that all they got at the Keynote was a damn phone...

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
I guess they wanted to give WWDC attendees something exclusive this year to compensate for the fact that all they got at the Keynote was a damn phone...

That's my whole point, they didn't give WWDC attendees anything, they simply locked it away from people who should have legitimately gotten it, which makes it seem like the WWDC attendees are getting something special. WWDC attendees should've actually gotten something special, like the ability to pre-order their iPhone 4's and have them delivered a week early or something like that.

blinkfan4871
Jun 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
so i would love to be ableto use the gmail ext to check my college email... one problem - https://mail.google.com/a/cardinalmail.cua.edu... anyone know of any way to get around going straight to mail.google.com

Icedvovo46
Jun 8, 2010, 07:44 PM
Let me be the first to flag a possible 'bug' in Safari 5.

My pointer keeps disappearing when I click on certain areas of web content. I have to drag it over to Finder and click to get it to reappear.

It happens on the black ares of this site. (And no it's not a trick or a spam site.)

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/08/bat-exclusive-chuck-forge-porsche-914-racer/

Hmm. Do I hear 5.01?

Edit: It happens when I click on Finder and then click into the site on Safari. The pointer is still active, just invisible.

Cameront9
Jun 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have Safari 5 for Windows 7. Why don't I have the little apple in the upper left hand corner and those little colored circles? :(

Are you serious? Really? I can't tell.

The Apple menu and the "traffic light" Close, minimize, and fit to content buttons are part of Mac OS X.

MikhailT
Jun 8, 2010, 07:50 PM
Let me be the first to flag a possible 'bug' in Safari 5.

My pointer keeps disappearing when I click on certain areas of web content. I have to drag it over to Finder and click to get it to reappear.

It happens on the black ares of this site. (And no it's not a trick or a spam site.)

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/08/bat-exclusive-chuck-forge-porsche-914-racer/

Hmm. Do I hear 5.01?

Edit: It happens when I click on Finder and then click into the site on Safari. The pointer is still active, just invisible.

Not a safari bug, most likely Flash. It happens in other browsers for me too.

lucasgladding
Jun 8, 2010, 07:57 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed or talked about it but there is a totally new interface with looking into the source coding in Safari 5 called "Elements." You can get to it one way by right clicking on any website page and clicking "Inspect Element." There are charts, timelines, extremely organized folders of scripts, images, and coding.

I find it to be really cool!

Definitely cool, but it's been around since 4.0 (possibly 3.0). The styles listing on the right has a few new options, but nothing drastic. Unless I'm mistaken, however, the ability to choose colour modes in the inspector is new and very welcome.

Icedvovo46
Jun 8, 2010, 07:57 PM
Not a safari bug, most likely Flash. It happens in other browsers for me too.

Thanks for that. I don't know enough about web code etal to work it out. Never happened on that site before in S4. Maybe S5 it's less tolerant to Flash japery.

Edit: Not happening in Safari 4 or Chrome.

ShiftyPig
Jun 8, 2010, 08:17 PM
The Apple menu ... part of Mac OS X.

What? Where have I been..... :confused:

;)

DARKJ3DI
Jun 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
I tried to install the Gmail plug-in but Safari keeps saying that extensions are not enabled, even though they are. Bug?

hobbbz
Jun 8, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've created TweetBar
http://juliankussman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Screen-shot-2010-06-08-at-6.56.42-PM.png

It puts 3 or 4 tweets in a bar in Safari, easy.
http://juliankussman.com/TweetBar.safariextz

BTW
Jun 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
So this should tell everyone about Apple's plans for OSX development. Normally Apple would release a major version of Xcode with a major version of OSX. Same with Safari. Here we are with Safari and Xcode upping to major release versions absent a major OSX release.

iOS is Apple's new focus and replacement for OSX. I believe OSX 10.7 will be the last version of OSX as iOS will morph to live on any size system or device. Time will tell but I believe this to be true. We'll see what happens when AppleTV is released - maybe real Apple televisions will be announced with AppleTV devices.

thaytis
Jun 8, 2010, 08:47 PM
Dear God, someone please write a mute button for Safari! I'm sick of having my system volume down just so I don't have to hear annoying web pages.

Icedvovo46
Jun 8, 2010, 08:52 PM
Disappearing pointer - Resolved.

It was..... Flash!!

Removed the plugin, fixed the issue.

:)

slackpacker
Jun 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
I don't see a reload button on my safari 5.0. Also Each pic you posted has a reload button??? Plus you can just move the buttons at will so how is that new if its positioned differently? I don't have a re-load button at all can't even add it

Les Kern
Jun 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
Praise be to non-news. So nice to spend my valuable time reading about nothing.
I will admit that Safari is damned fast and accurate, but it's got a ways to go before I use it as my everyday browser.
Not time yet... Maybe in a year when the tools I use all the time are available. Oh, and mime types. Need that.

John.B
Jun 8, 2010, 09:28 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/08/162936-safari_gmail_checker.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/08/162936-safari_reload_button.png

- Safari 5: Released to all users (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/07/apple-announces-safari-5/) yesterday, Safari 5 offers speed enhancements, increased HTML5 support, Reader functionality for facilitating reading of articles on cluttered pages, and new support for third-party extensions to add functionality to the browser application...

<snip>

Developers are already quickly pushing out useful extensions for Safari, listings of which are being collated (http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/) on several sites around the Internet. Some interesting ones:

- Gmail Checker (http://lifefrombelow.com/gmail-checker/)
- Reload Button (http://siracusafamily.org/safari/extensions/)
- Amazon Search Bar (http://echodot.com/creations/amazon_search_bar/)
As cool as all the new Safari extensions are obviously going to be, this...
Smarter Address Field: The Smart Address Field can now match text against the titles of webpages in History and Bookmarks, as well as any part of their URL.
Tabs Setting: Automatically open new webpages in tabs instead of in separate windows.
... is what I've been waiting for so I can finally ditch the ghetto that is Firefox, and for good.

Stella
Jun 8, 2010, 09:35 PM
iOS is Apple's new focus and replacement for OSX. I believe OSX 10.7 will be the last version of OSX as iOS will morph to live on any size system or device. Time will tell but I believe this to be true. We'll see what happens when AppleTV is released - maybe real Apple televisions will be announced with AppleTV devices.

I very much doubt iOS will replace OSX. This would mean walled gardened Apple computers.. which would be the kiss of death. If SJ emails is to be believed, he already said Apple have no plans to lockdown and restrict Mac software.

Personally, I think iOS and mobile devices have taken up too much of Apple's resources and it won't be until next year's WWDC that we'll see 10.7. iLife has obviously suffered - Apple have been too busy with adding iLife software to iPhones and Pads.

If Apple have indeed given up on OSX - then its a sad day. I feel sorry for all those new switchers.

novodigo
Jun 8, 2010, 09:45 PM
I don't see a reload button on my safari 5.0. Also Each pic you posted has a reload button??? Plus you can just move the buttons at will so how is that new if its positioned differently? I don't have a re-load button at all can't even add it

Have you installed the extension? If yes, just go to preferences, Advanced, Show Develop menu . After this Go to the Develop menu and enable the extensions.

Rigth click at the toolbar and just drag the button where do you want.

ksgant
Jun 8, 2010, 10:38 PM
Okay, call me paranoid or whatever...but how do I know that if I install that little Gmail checker extension and put in my account and password that it's not just going to take that info an steal my account? I mean, this plug-in is just out there in the wild, right? No vetting process?

Just wondering.

ShiftyPig
Jun 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
I very much doubt iOS will replace OSX. This would mean walled gardened Apple computers.. which would be the kiss of death. If SJ emails is to be believed, he already said Apple have no plans to lockdown and restrict Mac software.

Personally, I think iOS and mobile devices have taken up too much of Apple's resources and it won't be until next year's WWDC that we'll see 10.7. iLife has obviously suffered - Apple have been too busy with adding iLife software to iPhones and Pads.

If Apple have indeed given up on OSX - then its a sad day. I feel sorry for all those new switchers.

In Apple's defense, they are making insane dollars on the iPhone platform in addition to the fact that it's still (relatively) early in its life cycle. It certainly doesn't help that Apple has plowed years into OSX only to still play a very small second fiddle to MS. It's probably more fun to innovate and be the big dog in the mobile market.

GorillaPaws
Jun 8, 2010, 10:52 PM
In Apple's defense, they are making insane dollars on the iPhone platform in addition to the fact that it's still (relatively) early in its life cycle. It certainly doesn't help that Apple has plowed years into OSX only to still play a very small second fiddle to MS. It's probably more fun to innovate and be the big dog in the mobile market.

Apple earns like 35% of all of the profit generated in the PC market with just 7% marketshare (source (http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-revenue-vs-operating-profit-share-of-top-pc-vendors-2010-3)). I realize that the future of the consumer market will eventually migrate to being iPadish, but there will still be a healthy market for people who need to do serious computing. Apple has catered to this professional market in the past, let's hope they continue to see it as an important part of their future growth.

John.B
Jun 8, 2010, 10:57 PM
Okay, call me paranoid or whatever...but how do I know that if I install that little Gmail checker extension and put in my account and password that it's not just going to take that info an steal my account? I mean, this plug-in is just out there in the wild, right? No vetting process?

Just wondering.
This is a good question, and goes to the heart of why signed extentions are important as well as knowing your source; in this case the source code for the GMail checker extension is at github (http://github.com/vicvicvic/Gmail-Checker), but I'm sure that won't always be the case. And not everyone can read code, or even javascript. ;)

One thing that is nice about the Mozilla add-ons site for Firefox is that it's an open forum where people can post reviews of their experience with specific FF add-ons; so you get some idea of the experience people are having with the actual add-on you are downloading (from mozilla.org).

Safari extensions are going to need something similar.

LillDrutten
Jun 8, 2010, 11:39 PM
I hope they have rewrote everything that has to do with integration of SVN and added support for git and repo.

stagi
Jun 9, 2010, 12:41 AM
Sweet, looks like there is going to be some great little add ons for safari! Can't wait for that panic add on

BollywooD
Jun 9, 2010, 01:24 AM
SafariRestore (http://www.sweetpproductions.com/extensions/SafariRestore.safariextz) to automatically restore your previous browsing session.
:D

twilson
Jun 9, 2010, 02:42 AM
It's ridiculous that after 5 major versions of Safari the popup blocker is either off or on; no way to manage sites.

Isn't that what extensions is all about, somebody can write one now that includes this functionality :eek:

Cloudane
Jun 9, 2010, 04:47 AM
Wake me up when Google Bookmarks (a proper menu like in the toolbar for Firefox) finally makes it to Safari. Been waiting for it for years.

But then even Chrome doesn't have it, so I'm not holding my breath...

knightlie
Jun 9, 2010, 04:55 AM
Praise be to non-news. So nice to spend my valuable time reading about nothing.
I will admit that Safari is damned fast and accurate, but it's got a ways to go before I use it as my everyday browser.
Not time yet... Maybe in a year when the tools I use all the time are available. Oh, and mime types. Need that.

No-one is going to stop reporting major news items become some guy on the internet doesn't care about them. If you're that uninterested by this story, why did you a) read it and b) comment on it? Jeez... :rolleyes:

SeaFox
Jun 9, 2010, 05:00 AM

They look like the same thing. Of course, until Safari has as many plugins as Firefox we wont have reason to shut up.

You know, kinda like how even though there are multiple smartphone platforms with "Application Stores" iPhone users don't shut up about their App Store because of how many more apps are available.

Mac Fanboi Arguements: A Double-Edged Sword ;)

this is funah
Jun 9, 2010, 05:31 AM

i don't know why, but firefox is unbelievably slow nowadays... it takes about 45 seconds to launch on my core 2 duo macbook, and it crashes and stalls all the time.

Ampidire
Jun 9, 2010, 05:39 AM
i don't know why, but firefox is unbelievably slow nowadays... it takes about 45 seconds to launch on my core 2 duo macbook, and it crashes and stalls all the time.

I can safely say something is seriously wrong with your Firefox install, there is no reason it should be like that.

Have you loaded it up with extensions? Are you fully updated? Have to deleted previous preference files in the chance they might have become corrupted?

Lord Vader
Jun 9, 2010, 06:20 AM
Safari 5 is very slow on my iMac.

mathfantasia
Jun 9, 2010, 06:23 AM
Posted this in another thread but sharing it here too ... my safari extension ... displays date, time, and minutes of the current browser window being open

http://www.mmaatthh.com/safari

Jeremy1026
Jun 9, 2010, 06:35 AM

Safari doesn't ask because it saves them for you.

History -> Reopen all Windows from Last Session.

Pndrgnsvc
Jun 9, 2010, 06:38 AM
I have no problem with extensions, and perhaps I'll use them someday.

But I do find it bizarre that Apple (especially) would create a Safari/Reload extension when there is already keyboard shortcut (Command+R) to do just that.

I hope we are not inundated with a plethora of extensions that are nothing more than keyboard shortcuts.:eek:

dsburdette
Jun 9, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hmm... I may be being a bit too cynical here but why would you want a reload button? There's one at the right-hand side of the address bar.

Exactly. Is there some secret contained in this reload button or is the one already in the address bar not sufficient enough? Also CMD+R reloads too. Do I really need a third button?

mixel
Jun 9, 2010, 07:13 AM
Exactly. Is there some secret contained in this reload button or is the one already in the address bar not sufficient enough? Also CMD+R reloads too. Do I really need a third button?
The reload button is just for the people who got really used to the left hand side button pre-Safari4 and didn't want to muscle-memorise a new right hand button location (or just prefer it on the left). It makes quite a bit of sense on bigger windows, as generally you're mousing around the top/left anyway.

I think it's good there's choice, it's quite un-apple-like. :D Looks like there's going to be loads of useful extensions quite quickly.. And a lot of silly ones. I hate custom search bars with a passion. Grrgh.

kas23
Jun 9, 2010, 07:23 AM
SafariRestore (http://www.sweetpproductions.com/extensions/SafariRestore.safariextz) to automatically restore your previous browsing session.
:D

I'm sure people appreciate your efforts, but...

Safari doesn't ask because it saves them for you.

History -> Reopen all Windows from Last Session.

Anyways, a strange things happened last night. I installed the AdBlock extension and it was working very well. I closed Safari and a few hours later, began surfing the web again. And the Adblock extension was totally gone. Like it had uninstalled itself. Is this normal behavior or a bug or what?

hexor
Jun 9, 2010, 07:33 AM
That's my whole point, they didn't give WWDC attendees anything, they simply locked it away from people who should have legitimately gotten it, which makes it seem like the WWDC attendees are getting something special. WWDC attendees should've actually gotten something special, like the ability to pre-order their iPhone 4's and have them delivered a week early or something like that.

They've done this in the past (restricted new software to attendees only). They need to get someone in the developer group that actually knows how to design a usable GUI. I HATE how Xcode changes menus/toolbar buttons depending on if you chose to debug your project last or ran it without breakpoints. So you end up having to spend more time having to find the correct menu item/button.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2010, 08:39 AM
Ah, it looks like Tiger is no longer supported [by Safari 5]. I suppose that was inevitable, but my old iBook is still a useful machine. I suppose it's less useful now.

As for the three highlighted new features, more power the those who want them, but I'll be removing them from my toolbar. Besides adding to clutter:

Gmail Checker: I usually check my mail on my iDevice. With many accounts across different vendors, it's faster. I also don't have to stay logged into Google, which is an increasing privacy concern of mine. To this point, I plan on giving Bing a serious tryout. I'm not saying that I'll absolutely stick with it, but I'm glad it's an option now.

Reload Button: I'm quite happy with CMD+R. Thanks anyway.

Amazon Search Bar: Google (and now Bing) search bar have been sufficient for my needs.

likemyorbs
Jun 9, 2010, 08:43 AM

is it an iMac G3? :p

likemyorbs
Jun 9, 2010, 08:49 AM
Ah, it looks like Tiger is no longer supported. I suppose that was inevitable, but my old iBook is still a useful machine. I suppose it's less useful now.

Yeah i guess tiger is officially obsolete. Kinda sad because i know my clamshell ibook will never be able to run a newer OS. But tiger is more or less up to date for current "light browsing". but in 5 years "light browsing" will involve consuming many GB of data per day, and tiger wont be too cool with that. looks like my clamshell will be a museum piece soon.

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2010, 10:23 AM
Surely, you have access to another computer on the Death Star.

Maybe the Emperor's? He has a Mac Pro, right?

Lord Vader
Jun 9, 2010, 10:25 AM

Not a joke. Really slow. I think it some bug and we will see 5.01 soon.

Edit 2010 06 10 11:03:

Now it's insanely fast. I think that could have been problem with my ISP. Much faster than Chrome now.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
But tiger is more or less up to date for current "light browsing". but in 5 years "light browsing" will involve consuming many GB of data per day, and tiger wont be too cool with that.

Mine’s the 1.42 GHz G4 with the max of 1.5 GB memory. While that’s certainly not the same as my MBP, I’m still able to push it beyond well light browsing…several tabs in Safari, several photos in Photoshop, iTunes, and MS Word and/or Excel all simultaneously…with only minimal crankiness from the machine at times.

My only complaint with the machine is that the battery is dead, dead, dead (and I don’t see the need to pony up for a replacement), and by today’s standards, it weighs a ton. Also there’s a big chunk taken out of the corner and the lid is cattywompus…but is did survive that dropping in the street when the strap broke on my bag while on my bike!

stelriah
Jun 9, 2010, 10:46 AM
iTunes' artwork panel in the sidebar crossfades the album covers when switching songs and the arrow to toggle selected song/now playing is gone but it still let's you switch.

digitalbiker
Jun 9, 2010, 11:31 AM
Chrome is still much faster on my machine.

Apple says that Safari 5 is the fastest browser in the world. 3% faster than chrome. However all of my tests using Chrome versus Safari 5 show that Chrome is about 15 - 20% faster. In addition videos play much smoother and with less buffering delays on Chrome vs. Safari 5.

Chrome still wins as far as I can tell.

todd2000
Jun 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
I have, in the course of work as an on-site computer repair person, witnessed installations of Internet Explorer where more than 50% of the vertical screen real estate was taken up by toolbars.

I *REALLY* hope Apple makes some limit on number of toolbars. One or two. If you try to add a third, a chooser pops up "which bar(s) do you wish to keep?" In the chooser, there should be a not-checked-by-default "allow more toolbars" option. Even if you check it, when you go to install another toolbar, the chooser should pop up again, with the box UN-checked by default. The chooser should warn you of the folly of using more than 1-2 toolbars; and third-party toolbars should be readily distinguishable from the standard Safari toolbar.

We do *NOT* need Safari to be the recipient of a dozen simultaneous toolbars.

Your confused, Extensions do not Equal toolbars. I have 3 extensions installed and you would never know it by looking at my Safari window. Extensions can add toolbars, but most of them will probably add buttons, or nothing visible at all.

Dear God, someone please write a mute button for Safari! I'm sick of having my system volume down just so I don't have to hear annoying web pages.

Is this possible? Can a developer chime in, and/or make an extension? I used to Use Detour for this, but it died when we switched to Intel.

Kurite
Jun 9, 2010, 12:32 PM
If Zotero can be written for Safari as an extension... that would be terrific. It's the best way to cite websites in papers (once exported to Bibtex) and archive webpages. Paired with Mendeley, it's a great stack for research papers.

Here's hoping devs take advantage of Safari extensions!

Oh, and I have not noticed any differences in speed. Slow or fast. Frankly, I think it is a bit of a stretch for anyone to notice real differences in speeds without some bias. Independent quantitative tests are better in this case.

Examinus
Jun 9, 2010, 12:35 PM
I'm sure people appreciate your efforts, but...

Anyways, a strange things happened last night. I installed the AdBlock extension and it was working very well. I closed Safari and a few hours later, began surfing the web again. And the Adblock extension was totally gone. Like it had uninstalled itself. Is this normal behavior or a bug or what?

I think it's brilliant. I often forget to reload all my windows from the last session and lose my browsing arrangement. This solves that!

Has anybody come across a version of Keywurl that's written for Safari 5?

slackpacker
Jun 9, 2010, 01:05 PM
Your confused, Extensions do not Equal toolbars. I have 3 extensions installed and you would never know it by looking at my Safari window. Extensions can add toolbars, but most of them will probably add buttons, or nothing visible at all.

Is this possible? Can a developer chime in, and/or make an extension? I used to Use Detour for this, but it died when we switched to Intel.

Yes that would be awesome.

vicvicvic
Jun 9, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone! I'm the developer of Gmail Checker. Figured I'd chime in on some stuff I've learned and some questions raised here.

First off though, I'm really glad to see so many people use my extension. The amount of traffic to my website has increased exponentially since yesterday – I'm gonna have to upgrade my account if this goes on :)

I also just added support for Google Apps Domains. If you've already got the extension installed, all you have to do is let it update automatically or from the extension preferences in Safari.

This plugin is obviously not for those people who choose to IMAP their Gmail.

The extension will check whatever account you're currently logged in to.

I've been looking into multi-account support (or even just specifying credentials in the preferences for checking a specific account). Unfortunately this awakens the anger of the WebKit bug noted at the download page (well it's only really a problem if you can't be arsed to enter correct login details).

Furthermore, for multiple account support, the current settings system is not customizable enough I'm afraid. We can't have a variable number of fields or even multiline inputs, so there's no real way to add accounts. I guess I could make my own preferences thing but yeah...

Just wondering.

A valid concern! I can promise you that my extension is safe in this regard, however. Not only do you never actually type your password into it (so it can't really steal it) – I've also set its domain policies to only allow connections to *.google.com. Unfortunately the latter doesn't seem to be anything that shows up for the end user. The source code is also for everyone to see at github.com

Generally, you should obviously always be wary of downloading stuff from the Internet. But that's a general concern with the Internet, methinks :)

It should be noted though, that ALL extensions must be signed by the developer with a key issued by Apple. If they discover a malicious extension, they should be able to track the developer down (and probably disable the extension as well). That said, there is no vetting process per se for getting a key...

--

About mute button: Extensions can "inject" (this is the official term but it nevertheless sounds malwarish to me) javascript into web pages that you visit. This should make it possible to stop <audio> tags from playing. Controlling Flash would generally be more difficult – I believe controlling Flash from Javascript requires a compatible SWF. Just some thoughts.

--

As for the development of extensions: It's amazingly easy! I've never done it before (for other browsers) but the API provided is very straightforward and easy to use. I managed to put this thing together in a couple of hours, with no previous extension experience. The API is still young, and has a couple of issues.

I'm mainly missing more flexible extension settings and the possibility to play audio (for notifications). Oh, and documentation that's not incorrect...

We'll probably see a lot of ****** extensions popping up. While it will be possible to install "off-site" extensions, Apple will soon release their Extension Gallery. Apple being Apple, I'm assuming this will be mother of walled gardens. The agreement for signing up for the gallery is ... well, one-sided. For good or bad.

TyloBedo
Jun 9, 2010, 03:06 PM
I miss "tabs on top" from the beta. It's the best bit of Google Chrome for me, just seems like a more logical place to put them.

If I can get an exstention for tabs on top, a blue loading bar, and then get the already made reload button I'll be pretty damn happy.

Does anybody know if the reload button also turns to an X while a page is still loading?

aussie_geek
Jun 9, 2010, 03:38 PM
About time that Safari can have add ons. Is there any adblock plugins available for safari now?

alexandr
Jun 9, 2010, 04:27 PM

because the one on the right is small and inconvenient. that was one of the worst things apple did to safari.

Weaselboy
Jun 9, 2010, 07:27 PM
About time that Safari can have add ons. Is there any adblock plugins available for safari now?

Yep... works perfectly.

jon08
Jun 9, 2010, 07:54 PM

Yep... works perfectly.

How does this one compare with Safari Adblocker (which I currently have running)?

Another thing: will these extensions have an impact on Safari overall speed? (I remember reading somewhere that Adblock on Chrome would have some impact on the rendering speed and whatnot...)

Lord Vader
Jun 10, 2010, 01:05 AM

Yep... works perfectly.

Thanks. Works like a charm. Goodbye SIMBL. Also there is nice Youtube extension that switches to html5 video instead of Flash. Now i can go simply to youtube.com and watch almost anything in html5 video.

Another thing: will these extensions have an impact on Safari overall speed? (I remember reading somewhere that Adblock on Chrome would have some impact on the rendering speed and whatnot...)

As far as i can tell with reload button :D + Adblock + youtube html5 converter i see no drop in performance.

jon08
Jun 10, 2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks. Works like a charm. Goodbye SIMBL. Also there is nice Youtube extension that switches to html5 video instead of Flash. Now i can go simply to youtube.com and watch almost anything in html5 video.

As far as i can tell with reload button :D + Adblock + youtube html5 converter i see no drop in performance.

So if I uninstall Safari Adblocker, will it also automatically remove SIMBL that came with it?

SeaFox
Jun 10, 2010, 03:13 AM

Maybe the Emperor's? He has a Mac Pro, right?
Why would they have non-evil computers on the Death Star?

Lord Vader
Jun 10, 2010, 03:24 AM
So if I uninstall Safari Adblocker, will it also automatically remove SIMBL that came with it?

No. You can remove it manually. Location on Snow Leopard: /Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

jon08
Jun 10, 2010, 05:33 AM
No. You can remove it manually. Location on Snow Leopard: /Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

Thanks. Just removed it + uninstalled Safari Adblocker and installed Adblock extension instead!

Weaselboy
Jun 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
How does this one compare with Safari Adblocker (which I currently have running)?

It works the same way and even uses the same block lists.

I only use the "Easylist" block list and do not notice any drop in performance. I too have read that running too many of these block lists at the same time can slow down browser performance. The dev even mentions this on the page where you select which lists to use.

The advantage of this extension over Safari Adblocker, is Safari Adblocker uses a system hack called SIMBL that has some security flaws and is inherently less stable than a Apple supported extension API.

cbot
Jun 10, 2010, 10:03 AM
I just wrote a pretty basic Safari extensions that adds simple mouse gestures.
It's probably not the greatest piece of software and it's more or less untested, but it does seem to work here. You can download the extension on http://extensions.cbot-gsm.de if you think it might be useful for you.

bananafishbones
Jun 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
any info on itunes 9.2 hardware requirements? Just had a sudden panic that it might be Intel only. Having just bought an iPad, and iPhone 4 just around the corner I don't think I could afford to replace my G5 iMac.

I had the same question and that's how I got in here, but don't worry my friend, it works!
I'm installing it right now in my iBook G4 933 Mhz running 10.4.11 so there's no problem at all. Let me show you the requirements straight up from the "Read me"

iTunes 9.2 requirements

Hardware:
• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor
•*Intel, PowerPC G5 or 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor is required to play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store
•*2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras from the iTunes Store
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras
•*Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
• Playing videos also requires at least 16MB of video RAM
•*Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
• Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work.
•*Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work.

Software:
•*Mac*OS*X version 10.4.11 or later; Mac OS X version 10.5 or later is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
•*QuickTime 7.6 or later
• Support for HE-AAC requires QuickTime 7.6.4 and Mac OS X version 10.5 or later
• Safari 4.0.3 or later
•*200MB of available disk space

vohdoun
Jun 10, 2010, 11:29 PM

Shame the html5 extension for youtube (http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/06/09/youtube5-html5-converter-for-youtube-videos/) doesn't allow you to switch between 720 - 1080 and you're stuck with this lame black bar with no way to adjust the volume. Full or mute.

creator2456
Jun 11, 2010, 04:04 AM
Shame the html5 extension for youtube (http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/06/09/youtube5-html5-converter-for-youtube-videos/) doesn't allow you to switch between 720 - 1080 and you're stuck with this lame black bar with no way to adjust the volume. Full or mute.

Look at the settings in the preference pane. You set the highest resolution you want, and if it isn't available the player steps down to the next available one.

twoodcc
Jun 11, 2010, 10:17 AM
i was glad to see safari 5 released, even though it wasn't mentioned. would have loved to see xcode shown off and at least seeded to all developers

vohdoun
Jun 11, 2010, 05:35 PM
Look at the settings in the preference pane. You set the highest resolution you want, and if it isn't available the player steps down to the next available one.

Only that didn't work for me. There was a video I tried to view and all it done was kept cycling because the vid wasn't in 1080, or 720. So until I unchecked it, it wouldn't play.