PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a powermac g4

alex.purple.mac
Jun 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
I have been looking at the old powermac g4 cases ( cos theyre awesome!) specifically the quicksilver ones. I am thinking of buying one and either building a windows pc into it, a hoackintosh into it, or a faulty mac. However i cannot figure out how much is too much to pay. Someone is asking 50 pounds for a working one with an apple keyboard, but im thinking of offering about 30 - 40. It is the highest spec g4 that they made so i dont want to offend the guy. I cant figure out though, for something i am essentially going to gut, whether its too much?

I have posted on another section about buying a mac mini if i decide against this.

brayden8181
Jun 8, 2010, 06:07 PM
This is a VERY difficult process to do, if you have not seen a G4 before they could fit about 20 mini's into them!! Also, the inside case is all bolted together very well and just for me to take the main board out took a good few hours.

I suggest you just buy a Mini you can find great deals on them on craigslist!
I found a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB ram and 80GB hard disk all for $150.00 including pro keyboard and mouse! The owner said it had a broken sound card, but I took it home and it worked normal with no issues and has been fine for a good year now!

I managed to get 2 G4 powermacs(1 working, one needed and hard drive) and a G3 powermac which needed a video card all for $100.00 so offering $30-40 should be a fair offer, I mean G4's are very old now.

mannyrm
Jun 8, 2010, 06:16 PM
I have been looking at the old powermac g4 cases ( cos theyre awesome!) specifically the quicksilver ones. I am thinking of buying one and either building a windows pc into it, a hoackintosh into it, or a faulty mac. However i cannot figure out how much is too much to pay. Someone is asking 50 pounds for a working one with an apple keyboard, but im thinking of offering about 30 - 40. It is the highest spec g4 that they made so i dont want to offend the guy. I cant figure out though, for something i am essentially going to gut, whether its too much?

I have posted on another section about buying a mac mini if i decide against this.

I have an extra quicksilver case lying around if you're intrestead.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 06:26 PM
I suggest you just buy a Mini you can find great deals on them on craigslist!
I found a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB ram and 80GB hard disk all for $150.00 including pro keyboard and mouse! The owner said it had a broken sound card, but I took it home and it worked normal with no issues and has been fine for a good year now

He doesn't want a mini. What kind of advice is that? A guy wants advice of G4 case value to mod x86 hardware inside and you tell him to buy a mini?

Remind me to never ever ask you for advice. :(

Anyway.. I would say about 35 pounds tops.

brayden8181
Jun 8, 2010, 06:37 PM
He doesn't want a mini. What kind of advice is that? A guy wants advice of G4 case value to mod x86 hardware inside and you tell him to buy a mini?

Remind me to never ever ask you for advice. :(

Anyway.. I would say about 35 pounds tops.

read the entire post, he said he is also considering buying a Mini.
My advice was modding the hardware into a G4 case is a difficult process and it would be easier, less chances of hardware failure and possibly have many downsides to it.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 06:44 PM
My advice was modding the hardware into a G4 case is a difficult process and it would be easier, less chances of hardware failure and possibly have many downsides to it.

I understand that but the mini is his second choice. If he wants to do a mod project he obviously has some skills and can deal with fitting x86 boards in it. Many have done it.

DesmoPilot
Jun 8, 2010, 06:48 PM

Forgive him; he has a vendetta against the Mini.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 06:51 PM
Forgive him; he has a vendetta against the Mini.

As you do against the PowerPC. At least i'm in the right section of the forum and don't seem like a troll the way you do.

DesmoPilot
Jun 8, 2010, 06:52 PM
As you do against the PowerPC. At least i'm in the right section of the forum and don't seem like a troll the way you do.

I do not; I just see it for what it is. How do I troll here? Typically I just post from my experience.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
I do not; I just see it for what it is. How do I troll here? Typically I just post from my experience.

My point is that I do not go into the mac mini forum here and bad talk it. You on the other hand come here and constantly try to say how crappy you think PowerPC are.

brayden8181
Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 PM
I understand that but the mini is his second choice. If he wants to do a mod project he obviously has some skills and can deal with fitting x86 boards in it. Many have done it.

I did not say it's not possible all i said was it would be more rewarding to use the Powermac as it was designed, because of the difficult process of modding a G4 case. I have done it several times and it takes a long time and is very un reliable once you do manage to complete it.
By the way, from your last comment "at least I'm in the right section of the forum" How is this not the right section for a forum? Mac Mini's have PowerPC chips, however it is clear the OP want's a intel machine otherwise he would just keep the original architecture.

DesmoPilot
Jun 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
My point is that I do not go into the mac mini forum here and bad talk it. You on the other hand come here and constantly try to say how crappy you think PowerPC are.

You misinterpret me and my posts completely. Contrary to your belief I don't come in here ranting and raving about how crappy PPC is. Rather I tell people who ask that PPC it is what it is; technology that is long in the tooth and becoming very difficult to repair. For example, from personal experience I can say unless the shop has repair parts already in stock, tech's won't touch PPC machines anymore. PPC is dead technology, it is not moving forward and hasn't been for the better part of half a decade - it's dead. What you have now is what you will always have; it's not going to get any faster or better.

Personally, I think people should be aware of those facts before deciding to purchase a PPC machine; it's crucial information. If you're ok with that then awesome - go nuts and enjoy your machine.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
You misinterpret me and my posts completely. Contrary to your belief I don't come in here ranting and raving about how crappy PPC is. Rather I tell people who ask that PPC it is what it is; technology that is long in the tooth and becoming very difficult to repair. For example, from personal experience I can say unless the shop has repair parts already in stock, tech's won't touch PPC machines anymore. PPC is dead technology, it is not moving forward and hasn't been for the better part of half a decade - it's dead. What you have now is what you will always have; it's not going to get any faster or better.

Personally, I think people should be aware of those facts before deciding to purchase a PPC machine; it's crucial information. If you're ok with that then awesome - go nuts and enjoy your machine.

First off.. the PowerPC architecture is certainly not dead. Thats just plain ignorance. G4 chips (7447 and 7448) are still made by Freescale and G4 upgrades are still made and sold to this day. The xbox and PS3 also use PowerPC chips made by IBM. Not dead whatsoever. You think that Apple was the only company that used PowerPC and that it dies it with them? Wrong. There are a few other OS besides the Mac that run on these machines.

Something for you to consider..

What you view as limited may be for your needs and computing habits but you certainly cannot speak for what others needs and preferences are. You have a very one dimensional view of computers and think speed is all that matters. I really feel sorry for you.

DesmoPilot
Jun 8, 2010, 08:12 PM
First off.. the PowerPC architecture is certainly not dead. Thats just plain ignorance. G4 chips (7447 and 7448) are still made by Freescale and G4 upgrades are still made and sold to this day. The xbox and PS3 also use PowerPC chips made by IBM. Not dead whatsoever. You think that Apple was the only company that used PowerPC and that it dies it with them? Wrong. There are a few other OS besides the Mac that run on these machines.

Something for you to consider..

What you view as limited may be for your needs and computing habits but you certainly cannot speak for what others needs and preferences are. You have a very one dimensional view of computers and think speed is all that matters. I really feel sorry for you.

Guess I have to clarify that by PPC I mean Apple PPC machines (G3/4/5); since you know, that's what is actually being discussed here. Doesn't matter if G4s are still still being made and sold; fact is they're not moving forward - they're stagnent at best (lol 32bit these days). Apple PPC machines are dead; Apple doesn't make them anymore and "support" for them dries up more everyday. You're also mistaken; while the Xbox 360 does use PPC, PS3 uses the Cell processor which can't really be called PPC architecture. Ever tried PPC Linux? It's a nightmare to say the least.

I have a one dimensional view of computers? You're the self-proclaimed "PPC fanatic", that about says it all. Hahah, you feel sorry for me? You're adorable.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
Guess I have to clarify that by PPC I mean Apple PPC machines (G3/4/5); since you know, that's what is actually being discussed here. Doesn't matter if G4s are still still being made and sold; fact is they're not moving forward - they're stagnent at best (lol 32bit these days). Apple PPC machines are dead; Apple doesn't make them anymore and "support" for them dries up more everyday. You're also mistaken; while the Xbox 360 does use PPC, PS3 uses the Cell processor and is not really PPC architecture. Ever tried PPC Linux? It's a nightmare to say the least.

I have a one dimensional view of computers? You're the self-proclaimed "PPC fanatic", that about says it all. Hahah, you feel sorry for me? You're adorable.

The Cell chip is PowerPC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor))

You just don't get it.. do you not understand that there are at least a decade and a half worth of pro people that still use PowerPC setups for music, graphics and video? Not everyone has moved to intel.

Can you not understand the concept of using hardware for how it works rather than how fast it is? It's pretty easy to understand.

zmttoxics
Jun 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
The Cell chip is PowerPC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)

You just don't get it.. do you not understand that there are at least a decade and a half worth of pro people that still use PowerPC setups for music, graphics and video? Not everyone has moved to intel.

Can you not understand the concept of using hardware for how it works rather than how fast it is? It's pretty easy to understand.

FYI (not to be a prick, seems like I am POWER raining on your PPC parade these days), but he is technically right. Cell is a POWER arch, not a PPC arch. Close, but not the same. (I believe I once touted the same on these very same forums but was later corrected, it even lists it on that wikipedia article though).

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 08:51 PM
FYI (not to be a prick, seems like I am POWER raining on your PPC parade these days), but he is technically right. Cell is a POWER arch, not a PPC arch. Close, but not the same. (I believe I once touted the same on these very same forums but was later corrected, it even lists it on that wikipedia article though).

These are all the chips that use the Power architecture:
"PowerPC e200 e300 e500 e600 QorIQ PA6T POWER5 POWER6 POWER7 PPC4xx PowerPC 7xx 7xxx PPC970 Cell Xenon Broadway Titan"

They are all based on the same fundamental architecture.

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 08:56 PM
blah blah

ClassicII
Jun 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
Where do you live man, If its near chicago shoot me a PM.

mrchinchilla
Jun 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
Wow, this place is a minefield!

To the OP – buy whichever you prefer! Whichever you feel most comfortable with, really. I'd, personally, choose a G4 over a Mini any day, but that's my preference. Both are brilliant machines, while both being expandable, the G4 is far more so – just ask zen.state. Whereas the Mini, if you get the latest model, will be supported for a good few years, which may be a benefit to you if you want the "latest and greatest" software (if you choose to do so, I'd say wait it out – it's due for an refresh).

Also: the PPC architecture and its 'relatives' are far from dead, quite the contrary, in fact.

DesmoPilot
Jun 9, 2010, 12:29 AM
The Cell chip is PowerPC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor))

Sure it has similarities; but it's not really PPC in the true sense. Oh I do understand and realize there are pro's that use PPC still; the company my room mate works for still uses G5s in a limited sense. These days they're chomping at the bit waiting for new Mac Pros or are considering the move to wintel work stations; just like basically every pro out there I know or deal with at the moment (though Pro in itself is a pretty broad term; most people that call themselves Pros are really just prosumers). CS5 is just one app that will force them to do that; many already have or will follow with their next releases.

Can you not understand where I'm coming from? Basically it's this: If you already own PPC Apple machines and they work for you; awesome, they're great machines. Buying into PPC Apple machines now a days? Bad idea unless you're aware 100% of what you're getting yourself into.

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 12:52 AM
Sure it has similarities; but it's not really PPC in the true sense. Oh I do understand and realize there are pro's that use PPC still; the company my room mate works for still uses G5s in a limited sense. These days they're chomping at the bit waiting for new Mac Pros or are considering the move to wintel work stations; just like basically every pro out there I know or deal with at the moment (though Pro in itself is a pretty broad term; most people that call themselves Pros are really just prosumers). CS5 is just one app that will force them to do that; many already have or will follow with their next releases.

Can you not understand where I'm coming from? Basically it's this: If you already own PPC Apple machines and they work for you; awesome, they're great machines. Buying into PPC Apple machines now a days? Bad idea unless you're aware 100% of what you're getting yourself into.

I am done arguing with you. All the proof that Cell is a PowerPC can be found with a simple google search and you just keep arguing it's not.

Can you please leave us in PowrPC peace now? You keep going into threads here in the PowerPC section and spouting off about YOUR preferences as if they should be everyones. People know they are less powerful and don't need you to keep reminding them of it.

Leave us alone man. Seriously. Stop peeing on our little PowerPC world here. Same goes for zmttoxics.

DesmoPilot
Jun 9, 2010, 01:10 AM
I am done arguing with you. All the proof that Cell is a PowerPC can be found with a simple google search and you just keep arguing it's not.

Can you please leave us in PowrPC peace now? You keep going into threads here in the PowerPC section and spouting off about YOUR preferences as if they should be everyones. People know they are less powerful and don't need you to keep reminding them of it.

Leave us alone man. Seriously. Stop peeing on our little PowerPC world here. Same goes for zmttoxics.

You can be in "peace" if you want to be, just ignore me if you really have to; I've never forced you or anyone to read or reply to my posts. Don't really think I'm stating my opinions as if they're the voice of god; apologies if it comes off that way.

Don't really know why you're making this out to be such a huge deal; this is just an internet forum - sorry my posts and opinions effect you this much? I ain't going anywhere though.

zmttoxics
Jun 9, 2010, 06:28 AM

Augh, they still aren't the same. No PPC chip operates the same as the Cell. They have a different arch, period.

Also, again, no one is "peeing" on anything. You are clearly taking our opinions too close to heart. This is a forum, where anyone can post to any thread (while following the rules of course). You could argue thread crapping, but I see no evidence.

People are asking for opinions on PPC, getting them, and not liking the results. This can't be helped.

alex.purple.mac
Jun 9, 2010, 06:52 AM
Wow, looks like i have a lot of replies to make... first off I'm going to say that i live in the UK anyway, so thanks for your offers of cases and spares etc, but i noticed most of you lived in the US and the cost of delivery would probably eclipse the case itself.

Secondly, zen.state and desmopilot... chill out! I was just asking for advice on the price of a case. I hadnt even considered running the PPC, I was either going to gut it and make a hackintosh, or gut it and install a dead macbook internals / mac mini internals. Or even gut it and install a mac mini and a windows machine. I just really like the case thats all.

If i did decide to run it, I would want the one with the best specs, i dont know much about PPC's and he hasn't given me any other information than this...

800Mhz PPC G4
896Mb RAM
40GB HDD

733Mhz PPC G4
640MB RAM
40GB HDD

867MHZ PPC G4
640MB RAM
60GB HDD
Internal Zip Drive

So my next question is.. which one should i go for and why?

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 06:57 AM
Also, again, no one is "peeing" on anything. You are clearly taking our opinions too close to heart. This is a forum, where anyone can post to any thread (while following the rules of course). You could argue thread crapping, but I see no evidence.

People are asking for opinions on PPC, getting them, and not liking the results. This can't be helped.

All you understand is raw performance. You seem to have absolutely no appreciation for how things work.

It also seems like all you do is blurt out the same ignorant yop about how PowerPC is aging, less capable etc. You have even used the word "useless" to describe them. Well thats is your opinion and certainly doesn't pertain to everyone. Do you really think someone buying a PowerPC system needs to be told it's old and won't run the newest apps? When someone posts here they want advice from people who actually know about PowerPC and all it's capabilities. You.. well you just have a blind bias against them and therefore will probably always advise people with simple needs that they need more power and in turn will have to spend hundreds more. Honestly man.. how is a $50-300 used Mac purchase a bad investment? If they had more they would spend more. I certainly don't go into all the intel Mac areas here and say what I dislike about them. Why? Because i'm not you.

You're seriously shaping up to be a troll. Almost as if you're stalking us here. A total party crashing buzz kill. Your mother would be proud!

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 07:18 AM
Wow, looks like i have a lot of replies to make... first off I'm going to say that i live in the UK anyway, so thanks for your offers of cases and spares etc, but i noticed most of you lived in the US and the cost of delivery would probably eclipse the case itself.

Secondly, zen.state and desmopilot... chill out! I was just asking for advice on the price of a case. I hadnt even considered running the PPC, I was either going to gut it and make a hackintosh, or gut it and install a dead macbook internals / mac mini internals. Or even gut it and install a mac mini and a windows machine. I just really like the case thats all.

If i did decide to run it, I would want the one with the best specs, i dont know much about PPC's and he hasn't given me any other information than this...

800Mhz PPC G4
896Mb RAM
40GB HDD

733Mhz PPC G4
640MB RAM
40GB HDD

867MHZ PPC G4
640MB RAM
60GB HDD
Internal Zip Drive

The 800 is the best choice there.

Even though it's a tad slower than the 867 it is better with drive capacity. The 733 and 867 won't be able to use more than 128GB per drive. .The single 800 though was from the second revision (called the 2002) and does not have the hard drive size limitation. It also has the most RAM.

cluthz
Jun 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
edit: nvm saw it was already answered

zmttoxics
Jun 9, 2010, 08:23 AM
All you understand is raw performance. You seem to have absolutely no appreciation for how things work.

It also seems like all you do is blurt out the same ignorant yop about how PowerPC is aging, less capable etc. You have even used the word "useless" to describe them. Well thats is your opinion and certainly doesn't pertain to everyone. Do you really think someone buying a PowerPC system needs to be told it's old and won't run the newest apps? When someone posts here they want advice from people who actually know about PowerPC and all it's capabilities. You.. well you just have a blind bias against them and therefore will probably always advise people with simple needs that they need more power and in turn will have to spend hundreds more. Honestly man.. how is a $50-300 used Mac purchase a bad investment? If they had more they would spend more. I certainly don't go into all the intel Mac areas here and say what I dislike about them. Why? Because i'm not you.

You're seriously shaping up to be a troll. Almost as if you're stalking us here. A total party crashing buzz kill. Your mother would be proud!

Insults are uncalled for, against for forum rules, and generally not appreciated.

If you can not take the scrutiny of others (especially of those who may understand even more about the platform you love and still not consider it a viable option), then perhaps it is time you retired from the internet. No one has trolled anything. These are public forums where opinions are allowed, and the more you argue, the more you shall receive!

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 08:55 AM
Insults are uncalled for, against for forum rules, and generally not appreciated.

If you can not take the scrutiny of others (especially of those who may understand even more about the platform you love and still not consider it a viable option), then perhaps it is time you retired from the internet. No one has trolled anything. These are public forums where opinions are allowed, and the more you argue, the more you shall receive!

The problem with you is that you focus everything on your opinion. You think PowerPC is not a viable option and therefore have a bias against it and use that in your advice.

Bias has NO place in advice as it suits you and not the person you're advising. If someone asked me for advice on a state of the art photoshop system I would advise a Mac Pro. My bias has no place in other peoples end computer choice.

An example about what I mean specifically...

In another thread you told someone to not buy an imac G3 as it is useless. If someone has simple needs and can get by with it then it is certainly not useless to them. You mostly seem to stay away from the threads where us PowerPC lovers just talk and such and concentrate on the ones where people need buying advice. In virtually every case you advise against.

Advice should not be what you would do but rather what is objectively best for the person asking and their situation/needs. Keep your bias to yourself and just help people.

I have a PowerPC bias but I do not use it in advice and at least I am in the right area of the forum.

Also, you can't honestly expect not to be seen as a troll when you are constantly badgering the very architecture and computers all the regulars here love.

zmttoxics
Jun 9, 2010, 09:27 AM
The problem with you is that you focus everything on your opinion. You think PowerPC is not a viable option and therefore have a bias against it and use that in your advice.

Bias has NO place in advice as it suits you and not the person you're advising. If someone asked me for advice on a state of the art photoshop system I would advise a Mac Pro. My bias has no place in other peoples end computer choice.

An example about what I mean specifically...

In another thread you told someone to not buy an imac G3 as it is useless. If someone has simple needs and can get by with it then it is certainly not useless to them. You mostly seem to stay away from the threads where us PowerPC lovers just talk and such and concentrate on the ones where people need buying advice. In virtually every case you advise against.

Advice should not be what you would do but rather what is objectively best for the person asking and their situation/needs. Keep your bias to yourself and just help people.

I have a PowerPC bias but I do not use it in advice and at least I am in the right area of the forum.

Also, you can't honestly expect not to be seen as a troll when you are constantly badgering the very architecture and computers all the regulars here love.

Of course we tout are opinions when giving advice, its human nature. You however have consistently assaulted everyone who's opinion didn't line up with yours, to the point of character profiling by the looks of it.

That iMac g3 thread is almost 2 years old, and I posted in it over a year ago. FYI, I still think the 400mhz imac g3 is worthless for modern tasks and shouldn't cost $50 ESPECIALLY when at that time, I got a 1.25ghz eMac for free and another for $50. You do the math.

@OP: I hope you find a wicked G4 case and gut it like a fish man! I love computer mods! :D Be sure to post it when done so we can feed the fire that is "zen.state". :)

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
Of course we tout are opinions when giving advice, its human nature. You however have consistently assaulted everyone who's opinion didn't line up with yours, to the point of character profiling by the looks of it.

That iMac g3 thread is almost 2 years old, and I posted in it over a year ago. FYI, I still think the 400mhz imac g3 is worthless for modern tasks and shouldn't cost $50 ESPECIALLY when at that time, I got a 1.25ghz eMac for free and another for $50. You do the math.

@OP: I hope you find a wicked G4 case and gut it like a fish man! I love computer mods! :D Be sure to post it when done so we can feed the fire that is "zen.state". :)

I have decided to stop arguing or trying to interact with you. You continue to keep ignoring valid points and bringing up empty self involved ones.

Take care.

velocityg4
Jun 9, 2010, 10:03 AM

When I did mine I paid $50 for a busted Gigabit Ethernet (I could not bring myself to trash a functioning computer). Personally I prefer the look of the Yikes to Digital Audio cases. I would consider a good price to be the same as what you would pay for a mid grade PC case. Since it has limited ventilation and can only handle m-ATX.

It is difficult work and you have to choose the board carefully as many have the RAM too far away from the CPU which will make it difficult or impossible to install and optical drive, so no socket 1366 with its triple channel DDR3:(. I looked at many boards on Newegg before I found an optimal one.

You will need a drill, dremel, general hand tools and some creativity. I cut out the port area and replaced it with acrylic so the ports would line up, cut small plastic tubing for the motherboard stand offs and attached expansion cards align the board to the case to drill mount holes. For the dremel you will want a reinforced cutting disc as Apple used heavy gauge steel the normal cutting disc will be used up within a three inch cut.

When doing this you should take off the other plastic panel covering the vent fan. This will likely be filled with a knot of dust bunnies the size of a fist:eek:.

800Mhz PPC G4
896Mb RAM
40GB HDD

733Mhz PPC G4
640MB RAM
40GB HDD

867MHZ PPC G4
640MB RAM
60GB HDD
Internal Zip Drive

As stated by another poster I would go with the single 800 as well. Though considering how cheap they are why not go for the dual 800?

DesmoPilot
Jun 9, 2010, 03:42 PM
800Mhz PPC G4
896Mb RAM
40GB HDD

733Mhz PPC G4
640MB RAM
40GB HDD

867MHZ PPC G4
640MB RAM
60GB HDD
Internal Zip Drive

Go for the single 800 as it supports HDs larger then 128GB; you probably have more upgrade options as well.

Agreed about the bias thing. My posts in advice threads come from 11 years experience as an Apple tech and a realization of the state of Apple PPC hardware. You want to call that anti-PPC bias? Go nuts, but you'd be wrong,

The problem with you is that you take everything I say as a personal insult. You do not even properly comprehend my posts and opinions; you even go so far as to insult me over this (which to be honest, is a little sad, take a step back and look at what's really going on). You decide to take my posts as insults and anti-PPC rants and raves - which they simply aren't.

Mostly seem to stay away from the threads where us PowerPC lovers just talk and such and concentrate on the ones where people need buying advice. In virtually every case you advise against.

Well there's nothing to really add on those threads; Consequently I typically just post in "advice" threads (maybe in time I will come to post in them). In virtually every case I advise against because, in every case I have come across - thus far - I don't see the need for the person asking to acquire a PPC system. It's as simple as that. You don't have to like it; but taking my opinions the wrong way - so very personal as you do - and insulting me is uncalled for and a little sad to watch.

No one is in the "wrong area of the forum". We enjoy this forum; we posts in its many sub-forums (this being one of them). Deal with it.

Yes, I can honestly expect not to be seen as a troll. You're the one that comes off as a troll to be honest, your handle is "zen.state" yet you ignore most of what I post instead you try to insult me.

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 03:52 PM
DesmoPilot: You make some great points and do seem to have a reasoned approach after all. Keep in mind that a lot of the stuff you quoted was directed at zmttoxics.

I suddenly have a new found respect for you. :)

Cheers.

alex.purple.mac
Jun 10, 2010, 04:41 AM
When I did mine I paid $50 for a busted Gigabit Ethernet (I could not bring myself to trash a functioning computer). Personally I prefer the look of the Yikes to Digital Audio cases. I would consider a good price to be the same as what you would pay for a mid grade PC case. Since it has limited ventilation and can only handle m-ATX.

It is difficult work and you have to choose the board carefully as many have the RAM too far away from the CPU which will make it difficult or impossible to install and optical drive, so no socket 1366 with its triple channel DDR3:(. I looked at many boards on Newegg before I found an optimal one.

You will need a drill, dremel, general hand tools and some creativity. I cut out the port area and replaced it with acrylic so the ports would line up, cut small plastic tubing for the motherboard stand offs and attached expansion cards align the board to the case to drill mount holes. For the dremel you will want a reinforced cutting disc as Apple used heavy gauge steel the normal cutting disc will be used up within a three inch cut.

When doing this you should take off the other plastic panel covering the vent fan. This will likely be filled with a knot of dust bunnies the size of a fist:eek:.

As stated by another poster I would go with the single 800 as well. Though considering how cheap they are why not go for the dual 800?

Thanks velocityg4 for all your help. I will take it all into consideration. I'm definitely going to buy the best specced one, the guy is also throwing in an extra gb ram and apple keyboard, so even if i dont run it, i still have the option.

alex.purple.mac
Jun 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
Whilst this is going to sound like a noob question... I know that i should put a m-atx board into a powermac, but what is stopping me from putting in an atx and just drilling holes? I know this probably sounds stupid, but as long as they were perfectly lined up, what would be the problem?

velocityg4
Jun 10, 2010, 04:43 PM
Whilst this is going to sound like a noob question... I know that i should put a m-atx board into a powermac, but what is stopping me from putting in an atx and just drilling holes? I know this probably sounds stupid, but as long as they were perfectly lined up, what would be the problem?

It is too large.
- There are not enough spaces for expansion slot on the rear of the case. The curvature of the back would preclude adding more.
- Eve if you somehow stuffed a board in there you could never have an optical drive.

If you are looking for multiple PCI-e x16 I believe there are a couple m-ATX with two slots. Though they will have four or six ram slots making an optical drive impossible. Plus it is rather pointless as that G4 case would not have sufficient ventilation to handle two heavy duty GPU's.

If you want a larger board with multiple GPU's I would suggest a G5 or Mac Pro case.

Also for a PSU I would suggest the minimum wattage needed and 80+ certified or better to minimize heat production. Further one that flows air straight through. Side fans will be pressed against the case and provide no cooling. Most aftermarket CPU coolers are too big so you will likely be stuck with the stock Intel/AMD cooler and given the limited ventilation I found I could not overclock much, so choose a good CPU.

drewdle
Jun 10, 2010, 10:43 PM

800Mhz PPC G4
896Mb RAM
40GB HDD

733Mhz PPC G4
640MB RAM
40GB HDD

867MHZ PPC G4
640MB RAM
60GB HDD
Internal Zip Drive

Get the fastest CPU you can afford, as they're the part that's hard to upgrade later. When a friend of mine first mentioned he was selling an iMac G4, I jumped on it like flies on a rib roast, only to find out my offer was probably a little rich for a first-gen 15" 700Mhz machine. Regardless, I've maxed it out with memory and a new hard drive and I'm using it right now (I've got iTunes, Mail, Safari, and Adium running, and earlier I was playing around in Final Cut Pro 4).

Still, more power is more power, and I had kind of hoped the system I was going to buy was at least in the 1Ghz territory. Also worth noting, the 867Mhz machine is the only one that you don't need to hack to install 10.5 Leopard (minimum requirements being 512Mb of memory and an 867Mhz G4).

From a purely case perspective, assuming these are all Quicksilver models, they're identical, so if the project is to tear out the guts anyways, any of them will do. Be advised that the clearance in these cases is a little tight in some areas (a good example is my Yikes G3 tower which is of the same design; the memory in a space next to the optical drive that is only just big enough to squeeze the DIMMs in), so if you have a motherboard in mind, see what it's height clearance is in multiple areas.

Edit: I did not realize there was a hard drive size limitation on the 867Mhz machine, so if this system will be a file server or anything where drive size is paramount, probably better to listen to zen.state and DesmoPilot.