PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack to Carry iPhone 4 at Launch

Pages : 1 [2]

spencers
Jun 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
My radioshack called me today to tell me that they have not received any iPhones. They were able to generate me a PIN at ~1pm on the 15th, but I guess they aren't getting any. Oh well!

I confirmed today that my store will not have any for release day tomorrow, i got the district managers phone number and left a message about wanting my 184 dollar gift card put on my debit card instead due to false advertising that they would be doing Pre-orders instead of reservations which led me to believe that i would get a phone on release day, as a result i am forced to go camp out at the apple store overnight in 91 degree heat in a few hours with my fingers crossed that i get one. All of this could have been avoided if they didn't post on their twitter on June 9th that they were taking part in release day.

Lol. You aren't forced to do anything. :rolleyes:

udontsurf9
Jun 23, 2010, 06:01 PM
Got another call to be at radioshack at 8 am to get my iPhone 4 16gb. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. But I also went to 3 different radioshacks and believe it or not I got two phones on hold for me but had told them to just let it go because the shack closest to my house called first.

ugp
Jun 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
You tried to get an iPhone and it failed. Simple as that. The demand is much greater than what Apple can supply right now period. I am sure you aren't the only one that didn't get an iPhone and it's not RadioShack's fault for that. They sold all the Inventory they received as did all the other Retailers.

It was an opportunity to try and get a phone and it failed is all. In the end it's just a phone and there will be more supply levels. Everyone that wants one will eventually get one.

puggles
Jun 23, 2010, 07:59 PM
wow they didn't even call me to tell me they didn't have a phone for me...SCREW RADIOSHACK

GermanSuplex
Jun 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
You tried to get an iPhone and it failed. Simple as that. The demand is much greater than what Apple can supply right now period. I am sure you aren't the only one that didn't get an iPhone and it's not RadioShack's fault for that. They sold all the Inventory they received as did all the other Retailers.

It was an opportunity to try and get a phone and it failed is all. In the end it's just a phone and there will be more supply levels. Everyone that wants one will eventually get one.

It's not that people didn't get one, its how they handled the whole thing beginning on day 1. Very unorganized. I knew going in that I wouldn't be guaranteed a phone, and I don't have a lot of complaints, personally, but other people's stories, if true... they have valid reasons for being upset.

terrydycus
Jun 24, 2010, 12:53 AM
I was contacted by The Shack I "pre-ordered" telling me that in all of San Diego County, there will be only 10 iPhones delivered and that their store would receive 0. I'm not surprised, but what a blunder for Radio Shack in general. I will still stop in to buy the odd battery or connector, but will not buy anything over $10. Why on earth would you set yourself up for such failure? I believe they have been on the edge of going out of business for awhile now. Really dumb.

NJRonbo
Jun 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
Thank you, German.

Radio Shack was so proud they were selling the iPhone.

"Thanks for calling Radio Shack, home of iPhone 4"

Are you kidding me?

Should have been...

"Thanks for calling Radio Shack, we'll be lucky if most
of our stores get iPhone 4"

No store here in Central NJ got a phone.

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
I was the 10th person in line at my local Walmart, and they only had 3 devices.

That was just disappointing.

Raced over to my local Radio Shack (Westchester on Sepulveda) ...Second person in line... or so i thought... Then the doors opened and there were six people at the back door. They chose to let the people in the back door first (!) selling them the only two they had.

Now im pissed.

jstarr2679
Jun 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
Same here out of 4 local radio shack stores only 1 recvd 2 16gb's When I spoke with the rep on the phone sense i was about 30mins away she was happy enough to reserve it for me. Apparently with the 20 dollar accessories credit you have to get the accessory bundle they are selling for 49.99 - 20.00 no matter what. Whats in the bundle is a 3ft audio cable, gigaware car charger , universal protectors and a demrashot slip case. Not sure if i can return this crap or what.

Dark K
Jun 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
I must say, it was really a great job they did here.

I got there at 5:10AM, I knew that the store reported 8 iPhones for sale, I was #8 on the list, I waited till 9AM (no early opening) and well, gave my 3GS and got my iPhone 4 16GB, and so far, it's been great.

And apparently, no signal lost, always with full bars, no random yellow thingy, so yeah. To me, this was all worth the wait, plus I got a free $25 iTunes gift card, sweet!

styles111
Jun 24, 2010, 01:55 PM
1st in line to pre-order an Iphone 4 at two separate locations. Went to pick up my phone and they said they sold it. They said people were standing in line at 6 am and they were instructed to sell all of their stock , yeah all 4 of them, off by 12:00pm. I spoke with the manager and she told me that it wasn't a guarantee that I was going to get the device with my "pre-order" in the first place. :mad:

Second location that I pre-ordered at didn't even get 1 iPhone 4! The manager there said that there's one more delivery today coming at 4:30 EST that could contain the 3 iPhone 4's that his location is supposed to have. I doubt they get any at all. :(

Geauxfish
Jun 24, 2010, 07:21 PM
Got it! and Radio Shack did great!
Received the call yesterday morning that my 32gb iphone had arrived at the radio shack in Baton Rouge. I was 6th on the list of 12 at this store and the manager said they only got 4, two were 16gb and two were 32gb. He asked me what time I would be in today and told him after 4pm, and he held the phone for me until I got there at 4:30. He said all the others arrived early to get their phones, but I had to work. The process was very easy and painless, Radio Shack did very well. The manager told me he was frustrated that he did not get the alotment of phones for his customers, but from the sounds of everyone on this forum, he should be thankful he got some. I used the $20 gift card on the $50 accessory pack, which it included the Incipio case, car charger, a cable and the face covers.

NJRonbo
Jun 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
There are people on the organ donor list getting hearts faster than you guys can get a new iPhone at Radio Shack.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/24/radio-shack-tries-to-make-good-on-apple-iphone-4-shortages/

SFC Archer
Jun 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
I personally believe that Radio Shack was treated like Red Headed Step-Children by Apple!:mad:! There were six total iPhones available out of 7 stores within 30 minutes of my location. The store that I was number 2 (#1 for a 32gig) did not get any:mad::mad::mad:

I blame this on APPLE and being TOTALLY unprepared AGAIN for the launch of a new/updated product. Screwing up on the White iPhones and not having enough stock is very very poor management! I think RS took the brunt of this and if I were them, I would be PISSED:mad::mad:

Now, I have to wait until Apple pulls their heads out of their 5th points of contact and gets the products to the stores...WAKE UP APPLE...YOUR SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!:mad::mad::mad:

dexter921
Jun 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
So get this - last week, my local RS was taking CASH DEPOSITS from patrons to reserve iPhones - $50 per phone in the form of gift cards.

I went with it. Yikes.

This morning, I arrived promptly at store open to learn that no iPhones had arrived. I demanded that my deposit be refunded, and the 14 year old manager promptly complied.

Then, I proceeded to get in touch with upper management. The district manager was very helpful, and was absolutely shocked to learn that I was asked to make a CASH DEPOSIT on my phones. The store I went to had absolutely NO authorization to do so by the district manager - because essentially, they are making a guarantee (a legal, tendered contract) to provide me with two iPhones today, which didn't happen.

Long story short, they felt bad, and was happy to sneak up to my local Apple Store and got the last two 32gb IP4s available.

jstarr2679
Jun 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Im curious for those who got the iPhones at radio shack, Did they require you "HAVE" to buy the bundle accessories pack? for 49.99 with the -20 credit ? I didnt want to argue with the lady as she was like if i dont get it I dont get the phone. I am thinking of returning some of the accessories back to the store as they are generic brand . They are itemized on the recpt so i dont think id have much trouble . Thoughts?

NJRonbo
Jun 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
I don't believe you have to buy any
accessories with the iPhone. That's
not a requirement by Radio Shack.

I can't believe the ******** accessory
pack they are giving you for $20 off.

The best accessory pack would be a
bumper and a dock. Couldn't Radio
Shack at least offer that or perhaps
just a gift card?

They suck.

ugp
Jun 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
I personally believe that Radio Shack was treated like Red Headed Step-Children by Apple!:mad:! There were six total iPhones available out of 7 stores within 30 minutes of my location. The store that I was number 2 (#1 for a 32gig) did not get any:mad::mad::mad:

I blame this on APPLE and being TOTALLY unprepared AGAIN for the launch of a new/updated product. Screwing up on the White iPhones and not having enough stock is very very poor management! I think RS took the brunt of this and if I were them, I would be PISSED:mad::mad:

Now, I have to wait until Apple pulls their heads out of their 5th points of contact and gets the products to the stores...WAKE UP APPLE...YOUR SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Exactly. As much as I love Apple, they were not ready for this launch and it is not the Retailers fault how much Inventory they were going to get. Apple determines all of this. I wouldn't doubt that RadioShack had any idea of how much Inventory they would receive until the day they got it.

Geauxfish
Jun 25, 2010, 08:18 AM
Im curious for those who got the iPhones at radio shack, Did they require you "HAVE" to buy the bundle accessories pack? for 49.99 with the -20 credit ? I didnt want to argue with the lady as she was like if i dont get it I dont get the phone. I am thinking of returning some of the accessories back to the store as they are generic brand . They are itemized on the recpt so i dont think id have much trouble . Thoughts?

No, they didn't require it. You could have bought anything you wanted, but they received one accessory package for each phone (4) so they saved them for the pre-order purchasers. They were pushing the $110 for $90 package that had the Apple Protection plus the other stuff, but I don't know much about the protection or if it's worth it. I was going to get the case and a $15 itunes card. Probably should have done that, but I am thinking of returning everything except the case as I have not opened them. Needed to use the case until Otterbox's defender case is released. They have pics of the case on thier website.

jstarr2679
Jun 25, 2010, 08:32 AM
No, they didn't require it. You could have bought anything you wanted, but they received one accessory package for each phone (4) so they saved them for the pre-order purchasers. They were pushing the $110 for $90 package that had the Apple Protection plus the other stuff, but I don't know much about the protection or if it's worth it. I was going to get the case and a $15 itunes card. Probably should have done that, but I am thinking of returning everything except the case as I have not opened them. Needed to use the case until Otterbox's defender case is released. They have pics of the case on thier website.

Let me know how that goes. Thinking of the same

mcgillmaine
Jun 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
This isn't RS problem as more so Apple's. I did get my phone (12.5 hour wait in the apple store line). But Apple should have known by now that whatever they sell. The masses come out to buy.

From the 1st phone till now it's always been high demand and Apple should be ready for there shipments to stores. Or at least they could have told RS/Walmart how many a store would be getting.

The "walk in line" I was waiting in at the apple store was handled very badly. They had two lines one for walks and one for pre orders. The ratio was about 15-1 for processing which I wasn't mad about sense per orders should have there’s 1st.

But after 6 hours we started worrying if there were enough phones for the 200+ walk ins (I was 82th in line). We asked the employees many times could you at least take count of the inventory so if there's not enough we could go home. Mind you there were at least 100 more behind me. But the Apple manger was told by corporate not to give out numbers.

I lucky got my 2 phones (with a good attitude from start to finish). But I hope Apple learns "again" that they should give a crap once for a change rather then the all mighty dollar which they run off of. I was told the Raleigh Apple Store I went to sold around 1500 phones yesterday. Wow!

jeremy.king
Jun 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
Wife picked up two phones this afternoon! I couldn't have asked for much more. They waived activation and performed the activations for us. They didn't get many phones at all, and it's nice to know they actually cared about our satisfaction.

$320 out the door with our credit for trade ins...not bad, not bad at all.

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
When I heard that Radio Shack was getting phones for pre-order and some for launch day I thought "great, there is a RS a quarter mile from my house"

Then, as reports came out I became leary. When stores like Best Buy were nervous of their reserves I knew it was time to change plans.

I mean, AT&T didn't even have phones for launch day. I find it odd that people are surprised that "The Shack" didn't pull through in most cases.

I really wanted an iPhone 4 the first day it was available. I knew I would have to do some ridiculous maneuvering to make this possible. What did I do? I cleared all plans for the 24th. I drove an hour and 15mins to the nearest Apple Store (Mall of America) and showed up at 2:00 am.

I was 26th in line and was back on the highway headed home at 9:50 with a 32gig in my hands.

Like I said, I really wanted the thing ASAP and to do so I had to think and act as the rest of those with the same idea.

Blaming Apple for releasing a product so sought after that people will wait in like overnight for isn't really logical. In fact, that reality is the exact reason all people didn't get phones. I realize some of you are disappointed, but sometimes you just have to go to extreme measures to get what you want. This was one of those times.

-aggie-
Jun 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Checked my AT&T store today and was told I could get on a pre-order list for July 15, but they might show up before that. I asked about the walk-in for Tuesday that had been advertised, and they said that they weren’t sure they’d have any (being Sunday, I guess not). So, I decided to call Best Buy and got pretty much the same story. I thought, what the hell, I’ll try the Radio Shack near my house. I can’t be sure I was being BSed, but they said they had 500 phones on June 24, and if I had come in on Friday I could’ve got one. I was told to put my name on the waiting list (I’m the only name on the list) and they might have more in tomorrow. We’ll see.

The guy was even honest to tell me not to get RS insurance or Applecare, and that AT&T had some kind of e-care that sounded like Best Buy’s insurance for only $11.99. He was telling me all this, because I asked who do I deal with if I have problems.

NJRonbo
Jun 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
Did I misunderstand?

A Radio Shack store had 500 phones on launch day?

You were bring BS'd.

Most stores got none. A few just a handful.

-aggie-
Jun 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
Did I misunderstand?

A Radio Shack store had 500 phones on launch day?

You were bring BS'd.

Most stores got none. A few just a handful.

They said they got 9,000 phones for an 18-store district.

NJRonbo
Jun 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
Wow.

Actually, If I am correct -- and I think I am....

They were supposed to get 9,000 phones nationwide.
That was the number of PINS being made available on
June 15th during preorder. Each pin represented a
request for an iPhone.

Now that's 9,000 PINS for all the stores in the U.S.

Radio Shack was never able to nearly fulfill all 9,000
requests.

So this guy saying 9,000 phones for a single district
is a HUGE mistatement. I think he wanted you to
believe that there was an enormous supply of phones
that he has on hand launch day.

I bet, chances are he had 5 or less phones in that
store last Thursday.

WissMAN
Jun 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
So I walked into a radio shack at 3pm launch day to get more details about the trade in program. They had one iPhone 4 16gb left (of 3 total).

The process went pretty smooth, (the activation took about 20-30 minutes though).

Overall I was fine with the experience. I knew what I wanted and relied as little as possible on the RS rep.

FYI: I traded down to the 16gb from a 32gb 3G S. I hope it was the right decision as I never listened to all the music I filled on the larger 32...

NJRonbo
Jun 30, 2010, 06:15 AM
Remember the big apology announcement from Radio Shack saying they would be restocking phones? Well I was in New York City yesterday and went to 4 prominent stores in the midtown area. None of them had iPhones and they all indicated they have not had them since launch day.

Yet, all proud to hang the iPhone 4 banner in their store windows and answer the phone with "Thank You for calling Radio Shack home of the iPhone 4."

severe
Jun 30, 2010, 07:31 PM
...Yet, all proud to hang the iPhone 4 banner in their store windows and answer the phone with "Thank You for calling Radio Shack home of the iPhone 4."

Ha!

Resist
Jun 30, 2010, 10:20 PM
I blame this on APPLE and being TOTALLY unprepared AGAIN for the launch of a new/updated product.Apple was prepared, in fact they arranged this whole shortage thing to stir up high demand. Even people not that interested in the iPhone 4 fell into the frenzy and wanted one. Others figured because the demand was so high, they could make a few bucks off one. Apple is a genius at this supply and demand game.

NJRonbo
Jul 1, 2010, 09:06 AM
You know, in a way, I don't mind waiting for Radio
Shack to get phones in stock.

The white phones are only 2 weeks away.

captainAJ
Jul 20, 2010, 03:24 AM
ok this might be totally off topic but just a tip to everyone.

I walked in RadioShack and got out with ~$20+ screen protector my old iPhone 3GS. Ended up throwing it away since I can't see a thing on my screen. I even had a hard time cutting (:mad:) and putting the damn screen protector on.

dont buy accessories from there :(

severe
Jul 20, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ended up throwing it away since I can't see a thing on my screen. I even had a hard time cutting (:mad:) and putting the damn screen protector on.

Try invisibleSHIELD (http://www.zagg.com/index2.php), captain.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Jul 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
a friend of mine traded in his 3G at Radio Shack and was given credit as if it was a 3GS...the sales guy didn't even really inspect it...

zeteo
Jul 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Bought one phone from Radio Shack. When I had to return it, the manager gave me a tongue lashing for costing her $500 dollars and for not being able to make up my mind!

Best Buy is my place of choice now!

I have purchased my last large expense item at RS. The manager was downright vicious.

marshallbedsaul
Jul 31, 2010, 04:48 PM
i thought radio shack was having huge company issues/business in risk of going under.

NJRonbo
Aug 1, 2010, 07:51 AM
Actually, Radio Shack posted positive revenue
this past week. Doesn't look like they are
going under anytime soon.

I finally got my iPhone 4 from Radio Shack,
though it was through the help of Corporate
and I had to take a train to one of the few
stores in NJ that had one in stock and was
holding it for me.

I have to give credit to Corporate for helping
me out. They did a superb job. However,
I feel really bad for those that were unable
to get their iPhone 4 and receive credit on
their old 3GS phone. That credit promotion
ended a week ago so now there is no reason
to depend on Radio Shack for an iPhone at all.

SFC Archer
Aug 1, 2010, 08:46 AM
I also feel sorry for Radio Shack and the way that they were treated by Apple. They offer to carry and sell a product for someone, freely advertise the release of the new iPhone and offer to collect up and recycle used phones which is environmentally aware and they are never given enough of the product to even start helping customers.

I ended up purchasing mine through AT&T on their first iDay (29th) and sold my old 3G on eBay for $336. I was sweating the sale and holding my rabbits foot, 4 leaf clover and praying to ALL the gods that I would get a good sale and in this case, I can say I was blessed.

Sadly, I wanted to do everything though Radio Shack but could not accomplish anything at no fault of their own. High and mighty Apple should be ashamed of how they treated a partner:mad:

NJRonbo
Aug 1, 2010, 08:57 AM
You are right. Through no fault of their
own Radio Shack really came out with
a black eye at the end of the day.

They had posters in their windows
heralding the iPhone 4. They answered
phone calls with "Thank you for calling
Radio Shack home of the iPhone 4."

But walk into most any Radio Shack
store and you would never find a phone
in a stock.

None of the 4-5 stores in my local area
(one of them is in Monmouth Mall) ever
got a phone on launch day to date. Never.

For me to have had to take a train to one
of their NJ Flagship stores to get an iPhone
that was being held for me specifically
because I had to complain about the whole
program rollout is rather sad. Still, as
I posted previously, I have to commend
Radio Shack for going out of their way to
take care of an unhappy customer who
showed up at their store on preorder day --
first in line -- and spent over an hour
waiting for a clerk to get a reservation
that never was able to be completed.

In fact, many people that got reservations
for phones at Radio Shack on preorder
day never got one.

I don't blame Radio Shack. I just hope
they never try to team up with Apple for
anything again.

macpro2000
Aug 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
It was insane that Apple wanted to team with Radio Shack in the first place...talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.

BJMRamage
Aug 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
My wife and I bought our first iPhones at Radio Shack. (3GS & 4) AT&T was super packed but not the shack (ugh). Everthing seems fine here.