PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack to Carry iPhone 4 at Launch

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/08/radioshack-to-carry-iphone-4-at-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/08/190316-radioshack_logo.jpg

According to RadioShack's official Twitter account (http://twitter.com/RadioShack), the electronics chain will be carrying (http://twitter.com/RadioShack/status/15675764281) iPhone 4 as of its U.S. launch on June 24th.YES! RadioShack will have #iPhone4 at launch. More info tomorrow.In another tweet (http://twitter.com/RadioShack/status/15732899784) several hours ago, the company also revealed that, similar to Apple's own iPhone 4 ordering system, RadioShack will begin taking pre-orders for the new iPhone on Tuesday, June 15th.JUST IN: #iPhone4 pre-orders start next Tuesday @RadioShack... and that's only the beginning.RadioShack began rolling out (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/06/radioshack-to-sell-iphone/) sales of the iPhone 3GS in late November 2009, and after a months-long ramp-up, officially went nationwide (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/26/radioshack-set-to-make-iphone-splash-with-prices-starting-at-95/) with an advertising push in late March.

Article Link: RadioShack to Carry iPhone 4 at Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/08/radioshack-to-carry-iphone-4-at-launch/)

iMacoo7
Jun 8, 2010, 06:14 PM
So I wonder if Wally World is going to be doing the same thing? I did my usual camp out last year. There is a Walmart like 30 seconds walking distance from the ATT store. If this is the case then I will be camping out in the Walmart which is 24/7

dezeinstein
Jun 8, 2010, 06:46 PM
You've got questions. We've got transistors.

kwyn
Jun 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
How bout Best Buy?

rdowns
Jun 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Apple really geared up for this rollout. Look how many countries and how fast they're ramping up. I bet all their big retail partners have it on launch day. Those retailers want in on the iPhone rush too.:D

jayducharme
Jun 8, 2010, 06:57 PM

Do they? I thought they phased them out, along with most of the other electronic hobbyist items that they alone used to carry.

Well, I guess the more vendors who carry the iPhone, the better. But The Shack would be the last place I'd go to get one. (I used to work there....) But I guess if it's the only electronics store in a particular town, that might be a way for Apple to get iPhones into the hands of people who might not otherwise buy one.

Earendil
Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 PM
But I guess if it's the only electronics store in a particular town...

That's me!
Nearest Apple Store is 90 minutes away. Nearest Authorized AT&T store that would carry the iPhone is like 60. Radio shack is just 10 minutes.

I'm wondering though, what would be the advantages/disadvantages to buying it at Radio Shack vs AT&T vs The Apple Store? Once I have the item purchased, will I notice any sort of difference what-so-ever?

Cheers.

rdowns
Jun 8, 2010, 07:09 PM
That's me!
Nearest Apple Store is 90 minutes away. Nearest Authorized AT&T store that would carry the iPhone is like 60. Radio shack is just 10 minutes.

I'm wondering though, what would be the advantages/disadvantages to buying it at Radio Shack vs AT&T vs The Apple Store? Once I have the item purchased, will I notice any sort of difference what-so-ever?

Cheers.

Why would there be any difference? Do Cheese Doodles purchased form the Piggly Wiggly taste any better than those purchased from Publix?

GoCubsGo
Jun 8, 2010, 07:13 PM
That's me!

Cheers.

No advantages. I mean what does it matter? If it's the white Apple bag you want I can send you one. Eventually they become useless.

excalibur313
Jun 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
How bout Best Buy?

That is my question exactly too! I have these gift certificates from them burning a hole in my pocket. I called today and the woman said she wasn't sure when they would find out launch information about that but she put me on a list to call when she did find out.

Has anyone else heard anything? What have they done for previous iphone launches?

clockworksaulo
Jun 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
That's me!

Cheers.

I used to work at radioshack too and the resources there suck. Activation will take longer than usual and they can mess up your account/credit. I hated activating phones cause it was a hassle since we were not connected directly with carriers.

I bought my 3Gs from ATT store and my girlfriends at Apple Store. Mine began freezing within the first 15 days. Went to ATT and they gave me so much trouble when trying to exchange it. They ended up not wanting to exchange it for me and said they don't take returns on iPhones, when it says the customer has a 30 day (BY LAW) return policy. SO then i went to apple store, even though i bought it from ATT, they quickly opened up a new one and gave me a brand new one, no questions asked (just their standard serial number checks). Went to get 3 more iphones for family plan at Apple, fast easy and great service. Point is ATT = no good and Apple = better.

Now for Radioshack. Brother-in-Law goes and his credit gets run twice by child who works at Radioshack and signs him up to expensive plan. So they have to call their 3rd party service provider and the manager there and employee make a big mess of his ATT account and turns out the phone they had was from a customer return, not even brand new. He ends up just getting bad credit after 4 hrs in the stuffy dusty shack. We go to apple next week, now he has to put deposit cause his credit was messed up but guess what? thats right apple waived it as they saw the mistake and he gets a brand new phone. :) Radioshack = worse place to get any phone Apple = smart well trained employees

I just talked about these cases closest to me but I'll tell you those Radioshack employees are the worst to buy any cellphone from. you take a risk with your credit, used phone possibly, long activations, and bad locale. Radioshack is closest to me, then ATT, then Apple, then Best Buy and Walmart. I would take the long trip to apple before i try the first two stores. And if your other options are real far away i would recommend just ordering it on apple's website direct. Shipping is free and you know what plan youre adding. I've heard good stuff about BestBuy and dont have a clue how Walmart goes, just know RADIOSHACK IS THE WORSE, unless of course they get it right and phone works without a flaw the first 30days.

Earendil
Jun 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
Why would there be any difference? Do Cheese Doodles purchased form the Piggly Wiggly taste any better than those purchased from Publix?

No, I suspect that Apple's quality control is good enough that an iPhone bought at AT&T and one bought from Radio Shack will taste identical.

No advantages. I mean what does it matter? If it's the white Apple bag you want I can send you one. Eventually they become useless.

I was thinking more along the lines of Warranties. The Apple one will hold no matter what, I would imagine. But I didn't know if Radio Shack, for example, generally has extended services above and beyond the manufacturers.

Or perhaps when an iPhone is bought from Apple a certain amount of data is stored at the time of purchase (like the date) that would make future warranty claims go smoother.

I could not care less about white baggies or taste differences.

AppleFreak89
Jun 8, 2010, 07:55 PM
I kind of take offense to the statement that the radioshack employees can ruin your credit. truth is it is impossible..there is no way to touch your credit when running an activation. the used phone incident sounded like a mistake, hardly the norm. I've never heard of that happening. Radioshack is connected to the carries and in fact have their own representative for each carrier. Also, Radioshack offers a 30-day policy same as everywhere. Oh and the cell-phones sold at Walmart, target and Sam's club are owned by Radioshack BTW.

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 8, 2010, 08:24 PM
I kind of take offense to the statement that the radioshack employees can ruin your credit. truth is it is impossible..there is no way to touch your credit when running an activation. the used phone incident sounded like a mistake, hardly the norm. I've never heard of that happening. Radioshack is connected to the carries and in fact have their own representative for each carrier. Also, Radioshack offers a 30-day policy same as everywhere. Oh and the cell-phones sold at Walmart, target and Sam's club are owned by Radioshack BTW.

haha.. yeah.. I dont pay much attention to the "my brothers, sisters, gardeners went to this one radio shack in ireland" stories. every store is different. period.

I live 50 feet from a Walmart, 100 feet from a Radio Shack, 30 miles from ATT and 2 Hours from an Apple store.

Will Walmart do pre-orders? If not I guess its another 50 feet to "The Shack" I have to pre-order at this store since I will be getting my iPhone 4 by adding a line to an existing contract.

Jpoon
Jun 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
I would rather just order it online if I didn't want to drive to an Apple Store.

Seriously, RadioShack needs to die.

Markov
Jun 8, 2010, 08:47 PM
Do they? I thought they phased them out, along with most of the other electronic hobbyist items that they alone used to carry.

Some stores do, the one I work in does.

That's me!

Cheers.

Uh... no. It's the same iPhone 4. Why would there be a difference?

I used to work at radioshack too and the resources there suck. Activation will take longer than usual and they can mess up your account/credit. I hated activating phones cause it was a hassle since we were not connected directly with carriers.

Wrong. They've changed that. We get to customers faster, upgrades typically take 5 minutes if ATT isn't slow or down.

I would rather just order it online if I didn't want to drive to an Apple Store.

Seriously? You mean, your not joking? Why should RadioShack die? The other stores need the competition. And why would you be against going to RadioShack?

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 8, 2010, 08:47 PM

from what the Apple service rep told me today, in order to pre-order by adding a line I have to do the pre-ordering in the store.

bernardoruas
Jun 8, 2010, 09:13 PM
are we goona be able to buy contract free iPhone 4? i don't even think about unlocked but contract free for a reasonable price would be great.

rwilliams
Jun 8, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hell yeah. There's a Radio Shack about 5 minutes from my house. This should keep me from having to stand in ridiculously long lines at the Apple Store. I hope that Best Buy does this too, if only because I've never had a bad phone activation experience there, and I can rack up the Reward Zone points.

deannnnn
Jun 8, 2010, 09:24 PM

Food from Publix is always better.
Publix groupie right here. Didn't realize how much I love them until I started going to school in NYC!

deannnnn
Jun 8, 2010, 09:26 PM

I used to go to RadioShack every time I needed some kind of cable or needed to convert some kind of cable into another kind of cable. Then I learned that they're prices are insanely high and I've been being ripped off. Now I buy from cmple.com.

rwilliams
Jun 8, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

On launch day at the Apple store, are there usually separate lines for pre-orders and walk-up customers, or is it one enormous line?

bibbz
Jun 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
RadioShack store manager here and i have some very interesting information if you guys don't already know this. Please quote this as much as possible to get the word out.

We offer a trade in program. We offer the most money on a trade in on the iPhones. As of 9:42pm on 6/8/10 these are the values...

These prices are taken off instantly from what you purchase(no mail in rebates) or applied to a gift card instantly. Your choice.
3Gs 32Gb - $271
3Gs 16Gb - $210
3G 16Gb - $149
3G 8Gb - $118
The older models are on the website as well, look for yourself...
http://radioshack.cexchange.com/online/Home/ManufacturerSelected.rails?enc=sU4reD6QJWP5MQn1SwFn38CtURe9PcXAJv9fUpYciv8=

That means if you are eligible for the $199 price and trade in your 16gb 3Gs, we will instantly (no mail in rebates) take $210 off the $199 for the iPhone 4 and you will have a $10 balance either applied on a gift card, to the taxes, or towards an accessory, whatever you prefer.

Intrigued yet? Now follow me here...
Not sure if this will be the same policy on the iPhone 4, but the way its set up right now: The day you do an upgrade to any phone, you are immediately eligible for an "Early iPhone Upgrade". That means ATT tacks on a $200 early upgrade fee.

If you are currently not eligible for an upgrade, but eligible for an "Early iPhone Upgrade" (You will be, you always are, again even if you did an upgrade 5 minutes ago.) Now, that $199 iPhone 4 becomes $399. You can trade in your current model towards that $399 price.

Trade in a 16Gb 3Gs and the $399 Early upgrade on the iPhone 4 is now $189. If you need to, take a sec and read this again so you fully understand.

This is 100% accurate except there has been no announcement made for the "Early iPhone Upgrade" continuing on the iPhone 4. I very strongly believe it will. Also, the trade in values may drop a tad when the iPhone 4 launches, but look at the current prices we give on 3G's and original iPhones, it is still very good. You are not gonna get "eBay money" but you get a respectable amount and it is all taken care of instantly in the store. SPREAD THE WORD!!

Now, What do you think about getting your iPhone 4 at the shack? I'll see you there... :)

dmx
Jun 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
If you are currently not eligible for an upgrade, but eligible for an "Early iPhone Upgrade" (You will be, you always are, again even if you did an upgrade 5 minutes ago.) Now, that $199 iPhone 4 becomes $399. You can trade in your current model towards that $399 price.

How would I be eligible for the early upgrade? The ATT wireless site tells me.. .

iPhone Upgrade
You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing at a participating retail sales location. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 01/16/2011

Based off of that, I would think I am NOT eligible for early upgrade pricing..

bibbz
Jun 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
How would I be eligible for the early upgrade? The ATT wireless site tells me.. .

iPhone Upgrade
You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing at a participating retail sales location. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 01/16/2011

Based off of that, I would think I am NOT eligible for early upgrade pricing..

I'm not sure how it looks on ATT's website. when we log into att and check eligibility it will say..

No, customer is not eligible for an upgrade. Yes customer is eligible for an early iPhone upgrade.

Every account we log into says that if they are not eligible for a full upgrade. If they are eligible for a full upgrade, then it says...

Yes, customer is eligible for an upgrade.

Literally, if i upgrade you in my store right now bc you are eligible, log out, and log back in, it will say whats in the 1st quote.

Check in your local store tomorrow, or shoot me a pm with your cell and your billing zip code and i can tell you... If you're not comfortable with that i understand, check your local store and when they check it, ask them specifically about the "Early iPhone upgrade"

iphones4evry1
Jun 8, 2010, 10:26 PM
GREAT! The more places that carry the iPhone4 during the launch, THE SHORTER THE LINES WILL BE ! :)

(added to the fact that people can now pre-order from the website and have the phone shipped to them)

iphones4evry1
Jun 8, 2010, 10:51 PM

Cheers.

Honestly, it shouldn't make a difference. Whenever I go into an Apple Store to get help/support with my iPhone3G, they always help me, regardless.

I purchased my iPhone3G at one Apple Store, and when it started giving me problems, I took it to a different Apple Store and they replaced it with a brand new phone. Of course, it's possible that because I had bought it at an Apple Store, it mattered, but generally, I've sensed that regardless of where you bought it, because it is an Apple product (obviously, plus your serial number in your settings menu), Apple Stores treat you like any other Apple customer. (I recommend you call your Apple Store and ask them "If I buy it at Radio Shack, will the Apple Store provide full support and replacement, as if I had purchased it at the Apple Store?")

The drawback... if you needed to get support for the phone, you'd have to drive to an Apple Store (that's a long way for you, and none of the AT&T guys around my house (about 10 AT&T stores) know anything about service/support for the iPhone - they just tell me to go to the Apple Store.

Mine began freezing within the first 15 days. Went to ATT and they gave me so much trouble when trying to exchange it. They ended up not wanting to exchange it for me and said they don't take returns ... SO then i went to apple store, even though i bought it from ATT, they quickly opened up a new one and gave me a brand new one, no questions asked (just their standard serial number checks).

Earendil, there you go. Buy it on Apple's website, and if you ever have a problem, you can hop into your car and drive 90min up to the Apple store.

Mr. Gates
Jun 8, 2010, 11:20 PM
You mean "The Shack"

They are pretty much ONLY a phone store now

They lost the Mojo

Boycott them

Merzie
Jun 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
edit: last launch.. whoops

TripHop
Jun 9, 2010, 12:25 AM
RadioShack store manager here and i have some very interesting information if you guys don't already know this.

Now, What do you think about getting your iPhone 4 at the shack? I'll see you there... :)I like the trade-in part. But must we activate the phone in the store? I would rather take the sealed box home and activate there over the phone with AT&T. Will that be allowed? :confused:

SirithX
Jun 9, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hmm... I was going to preorder from BestBuy since I wouldn't have to wait in line and then just sell my 32 GB 3GS on eBay or craigslist or something, but that trade-in offer sounds delicious. If RadioShack is ok with me switching my upgrade with someone else's in my family plan (my upgrade isn't until 2/20/11 and my mother is eligible for an upgrade now for example) which both BestBuy and AT&T seem to be, then Radio Shack is definitely the way I'll go come the 24th.

dissdnt
Jun 9, 2010, 12:36 AM
Radio Shack is still around. :P

It's probably the best place to go. NO ONE is going to know that Radio Shack has the iPhone. Probably a quicker in and out then Best Buy or an Apple Store.

But honestly this whole trade in thing sounds fishy. Why would they give you 270 for a phone you can buy brand new starting the launch date for half that.

TripHop
Jun 9, 2010, 12:38 AM
This is a huge story. I don't understand why it wasn't posted on page 1 especially since learning of the Radio Shack Trade-In program. I think the Doctor should reconsider not putting this on Page 1. :confused:

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 9, 2010, 01:21 AM
I think this will be great for AT&T and Apple....Radio Shack is the closest store out of AT&T and Apple Store

Radio Shack and Best Buy use the same AT&T POS system to upgrade and activate phones

I got my 3G and 3GS from Best Buy.....but i'll go to Radio Shack for my iPhone 4

Looks like AT&T and Apple are looking to do big numbers with this release

eseminario
Jun 9, 2010, 01:42 AM
Anybody knows if thebunlocked version will be available on launch day too?

dwero
Jun 9, 2010, 03:29 AM
When called #639*, I got the news that 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $299.

That's suck

hobi316
Jun 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
RadioShack store manager here and i have some very interesting information if you guys don't already know this. Please quote this as much as possible to get the word out.

How can I check which stores will be carrying the phone on launch day? And also, if I go into a particular store next Tuesday and pre-order, you're saying I will be able to pick that phone up on the 24th?

TeamDNA
Jun 9, 2010, 07:41 AM

We offer a trade in program. We offer the most money on a trade in on the iPhones. As of 9:42pm on 6/8/10 these are the values...

These prices are taken off instantly from what you purchase(no mail in rebates) or applied to a gift card instantly. Your choice.
3Gs 32Gb - $271
3Gs 16Gb - $210
3G 16Gb - $149
3G 8Gb - $118
http://radioshack.cexchange.com/online/Home/ManufacturerSelected.rails?enc=sU4reD6QJWP5MQn1SwFn38CtURe9PcXAJv9fUpYciv8=

That means if you are eligible for the $199 price and trade in your 16gb 3Gs, we will instantly (no mail in rebates) take $210 off the $199 for the iPhone 4 and you will have a $10 balance either applied on a gift card, to the taxes, or towards an accessory, whatever you prefer.

Not sure if this will be the same policy on the iPhone 4, but the way its set up right now: The day you do an upgrade to any phone, you are immediately eligible for an "Early iPhone Upgrade". That means ATT tacks on a $200 early upgrade fee.

Trade in a 16Gb 3Gs and the $399 Early upgrade on the iPhone 4 is now $189. If you need to, take a sec and read this again so you fully understand.

This is 100% accurate except there has been no announcement made for the "Early iPhone Upgrade" continuing on the iPhone 4. I very strongly believe it will. Also, the trade in values may drop a tad when the iPhone 4 launches, but look at the current prices we give on 3G's and original iPhones, it is still very good. You are not gonna get "eBay money" but you get a respectable amount and it is all taken care of instantly in the store. SPREAD THE WORD!!

Now, What do you think about getting your iPhone 4 at the shack? I'll see you there... :)

this post is a LITTLE misleading... i looked on the site and it says UP TO
118$ for 8gb 3G.. which means it could go for less right ? if so you made it seems as not matter what your getting the prices you showed which i believe is wrong.. correct me if im wrong

hobi316
Jun 9, 2010, 08:33 AM
118$ for 8gb 3G.. which means it could go for less right ? if so you made it seems as not matter what your getting the prices you showed which i believe is wrong.. correct me if im wrong

If you click on the phone you have it will ask for its condition and overall functionality. I have a newly-replaced 16gb 2G and it showed me that I can get $100 or something like that for it, for instance.

deannnnn
Jun 9, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have a feeling that those trade-in prices will be substantially reduced once the iPhone 4 is released.

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
I like the trade-in part. But must we activate the phone in the store? I would rather take the sealed box home and activate there over the phone with AT&T. Will that be allowed? :confused:
No, we activate all phones in the store. we connect the phone to our cashlanes and open itunes and activate them after we are finished processing the upgrade inside ATT's system. The phone will be on, your numbers transferred and everything when you walk out the door. At least at my store. :)

But honestly this whole trade in thing sounds fishy. Why would they give you 270 for a phone you can buy brand new starting the launch date for half that.
Like i said, once the iPhone 4 launches, i would imagine the prices come down some on the trades, but as of last night, those were the values. We trade in 3G's for roughly $100 off 3G's all day at my store. Its a really good system. A lot of phones you don't get much for, like a original razr will get you about 10 bucks. We just pay out a lot for iphones.

This is a huge story. I don't understand why it wasn't posted on page 1 especially since learning of the Radio Shack Trade-In program. I think the Doctor should reconsider not putting this on Page 1. :confused:
Who do i need to PM this too, i would LOVE for The Shack to get this attention.

How can I check which stores will be carrying the phone on launch day? And also, if I go into a particular store next Tuesday and pre-order, you're saying I will be able to pick that phone up on the 24th?
Stores that carry the iPhone now should have them on launch, give your local store a call in the next few days and we should know.

Up to means we appraise the phone. In store we have a much more detailed system when we process the trade in. It's about 15 questions about the condition of the phone. If your phones in good shape, i promise you will get very close, if not exactly what the site says.

If you click on the phone you have it will ask for its condition and overall functionality. I have a newly-replaced 16gb 2G and it showed me that I can get $100 or something like that for it, for instance.
Thank you!!

Guys, if any of you are in DFW, shoot me a pm i will be more than happy to help you guys and get you your iPhone 4 setup at my store. I'll be getting mine there. :)

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have a feeling that those trade-in prices will be substantially reduced once the iPhone 4 is released.

I imagine they will be, but look at the page at the 3G and original iphone values. They will still be at or over $100 at the least.

AppleFreak89
Jun 9, 2010, 08:58 AM
Everything BIBBZ is saying is correct and works the same at my store. we had a lot of people trade in their 3g for 3gs' and pay $5 out of pocket :). its a good deal.

Eddie L.
Jun 9, 2010, 09:11 AM
I imagine they will be, but look at the page at the 3G and original iphone values. They will still be at or over $100 at the least.

Just posted to the Shack's Twitter page:

Trade-up to #iPhone4--> Get $100 for 3G, $200 for 3GS. Pre-order 6/15. More to come @robotodd @JRBTempe @ohnorosco @rosa @arrington

flatlined
Jun 9, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have a few quick questions for anybody that works at Radio Shack:

I plan on going into a Radio Shack store on Tuesday to look into Appraising my iPhone. Do I need the Original Box? I have the Accessories and the books that came with my iPhone, but don't have the box.

Also can I just get an Appraisal without having to agree to it? and
Does my phone have to be resorted to factory setting and my info wiped off if I'm just going in for an Appraisal?

If I decide to go along with the Appraisal and Pre Order an iPhone 4 does the store take my iPhone that day? Or do I keep it until I get the iPhone 4?

I was also wondering if it makes any difference in the appraisal if the phone is a Refurbished or not? My Girlfriends is a Refurbished one.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!!!

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Jun 9, 2010, 09:46 AM
With so many options for retail purchase, there's no need to camp out, even wait in a long line to get one.

wesk702
Jun 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
I just wanna preorder already

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
I have a few quick questions for anybody that works at Radio Shack:

I plan on going into a Radio Shack store on Tuesday to look into Appraising my iPhone. Do I need the Original Box? I have the Accessories and the books that came with my iPhone, but don't have the box.
nope, just the phone :)

Also can I just get an Appraisal without having to agree to it? and
Does my phone have to be resorted to factory setting and my info wiped off if I'm just going in for an Appraisal?
yes, we log in and appraise it, then you can either agree or decline. just tell them you are wanting to know for the launch. It's after you say "ok sounds good" that we start the actual point of sale process. The phone doesnt have to be wiped, just no passcode.

If I decide to go along with the Appraisal and Pre Order an iPhone 4 does the store take my iPhone that day? Or do I keep it until I get the iPhone 4?
You will want to do the trade in when you pick the phone up. We havent got official word on the preorder process for the iphone 4 but if its like the evo, it will work like this...

You pay $50 and we give you a gift card for that ammout and a reservation. When you come in to pick up your (example) $199 phone we apply the $50 ngift card making it 149 you pay right then, then we do the trade in and take that ammount off the 149. :)

I was also wondering if it makes any difference in the appraisal if the phone is a Refurbished or not? My Girlfriends is a Refurbished one.
Refurbs trade in jsut the same as a new one. think about it like this... A refurb is a used phone, and you are trading in a used phone anyway. :)
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!!!

no worries bro, hope i could help! :)

SlavKO
Jun 9, 2010, 10:50 AM
Regarding RadioShack preorder(if it works like before)

Is it possible to preorder from one store and pickup at another store? The reason I ask is that I will be out of town on launch day and would like to pick up at a different radioshack then I have access to...

Thx

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
Just went to the Radio Shack that's less than a quarter mile from my house and talked with the rep.

All good to pre-order by adding a line of service on the 15th.

Looks like the best spot for me to purchase considering the closeness and the fact that I seriously doubt anyone is going to think to purchase there.

Its located in a tiny strip "mall" (if you even wanna call it that) on the wee edge of town of 15,000.

All thats left to do is get a Visa Prepaid Debit card and put $350-400 on it. That and wait for the 15th to come.

Live this Moment.

Blonde Buddhist.

flatlined
Jun 9, 2010, 11:35 AM
no worries bro, hope i could help! :)

WOW Awesome Thank you so much for the info and the fast response.

I like employees that are on message boards like this and respond to questions like these and taking the time out of their day. Thanks.

So just to make sure. If I do go along with the Trade In on Tuesday I don't have to give them my phone then? when I go back to pick it up then they will take it?

Thanks

AppleFreak89
Jun 9, 2010, 12:43 PM
Regarding RadioShack preorder(if it works like before)

Is it possible to preorder from one store and pickup at another store? The reason I ask is that I will be out of town on launch day and would like to pick up at a different radioshack then I have access to...

Thx

Hey, this is not possible because based on the number of preorders from each store is what determines how many get sent to each store. and if you order from store #1, a phone will be sent to store#1 specifically for you.

:)

SlavKO
Jun 9, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hey, this is not possible because based on the number of preorders from each store is what determines how many get sent to each store. and if you order from store #1, a phone will be sent to store#1 specifically for you.

:)

Thx for the info. Would it be possible to call and preorder from the store I want to pick it up from even if it isnt in my state?

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 01:34 PM
WOW Awesome Thank you so much for the info and the fast response.

I like employees that are on message boards like this and respond to questions like these and taking the time out of their day. Thanks.

So just to make sure. If I do go along with the Trade In on Tuesday I don't have to give them my phone then? when I go back to pick it up then they will take it?

Thanks

NP bro, glad i could help!

Don't do your trade in Tuesday, if you do, yes you have to give them the phone right then. Just have it appraised Tuesday so you know how much you can get for it. You want to actually do it they day you get the iPhone4 and give them your old one.

Now if you are afraid the values will drop as launch day gets closer and you want to be locked in with the quote you get Tuesday, then you will have to give it to them on Tuesday.

TitoC
Jun 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
According to RadioShack's official Twitter account, the electronics chain will be carrying iPhone 4 as of its U.S. launch on June 24th.

That's "THE SHACK" to you sir! Sorry, I still can't over this crappy, crappy branding decision of theirs to call themselves "The Shack." Really?

When I watched basketball performances, it was from "The Shack." When I was 12, I had my porno hidden in "The Shack." And when I was 15 and in the Boy Scouts and I went camping/boating, I took a crap in "The Shack." But, when I was 16 and built a home-made rocket, I got my parts from "RADIO SHACK."

hobi316
Jun 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
I just called a local store here in SC and this was pretty much all confirmed. His computer system was down, so he didn't have the info in front of him, but he said it would run pretty much like the EVO did, with a $50 downpayment for the pre-orders. Unfortunately he wasn't yet sure if all stores would be doing pre-orders or just the "in-stock" stores. I'll call back Monday to see if that store can get me a phone on the 24th, since it's close to my work. We'll see, I guess.

clockworksaulo
Jun 9, 2010, 02:26 PM
RadioShack store manager here and i have some

3Gs 32Gb - $271
3Gs 16Gb - $210
3G 16Gb - $149
3G 8Gb - $118

you there... :)

BEST BUY HAS BETTER TRADE IN PRICE

32gb 3GS = $315.00 compared to radioshacks $279

Personally i would try ebay, theyre going for about 400-500, thast 100-200 dollars more. Spoke to radioshack managers and they charge the upgrade fee, ATT and Apple and best buy are waiving upgrade fee.

Early Upgrade fee also available at all retail locations, Wal-mart, apple, att, radioshack, best buy

ugp
Jun 9, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am probably going to Radio Shack since I use to Manage one and my best friend is still a Manager at a local store. They are more than likely opening at 6AM and where I live the nearest AT&T store is 30 minutes away and Apple store is 1-1/2 hours away.

I am not sure if I am doing the trade in or not since I have a 16GB 3GS recently replaced by Apple so it's Like New but I really don't want to mess with eBay just to make a couple of extra dollars on it over the Trade-In price.

As for Upgrade Fees I am not concerned since I know the AT&T Rep for the Radio Shack still and I can get it waived regardless. I am sure Radio Shack will work something out and give some sort of incentive because Wireless is their main focus and biggest money maker right now.

I will agree with most everyone else though that Radio Shack has a bad name for itself because of their employees not being helpful and that comes down to the Manager at fault. When I was Manager I ran a tight ship and my store was there to serve the customers walking in and to solve their problems regardless where they bought their product. Stores forget what Customer Service is about. If it were for my best friend still the Manager there I would not be going to a Radio Shack to purchase my new iPhone. I would probably go to the AT&T store like I did with the rest of the iPhones I purchased. Where you purchase doesn't really matter because the warranty will be the same and have the same process.

I just called a local store here in SC and this was pretty much all confirmed. His computer system was down, so he didn't have the info in front of him, but he said it would run pretty much like the EVO did, with a $50 downpayment for the pre-orders. Unfortunately he wasn't yet sure if all stores would be doing pre-orders or just the "in-stock" stores. I'll call back Monday to see if that store can get me a phone on the 24th, since it's close to my work. We'll see, I guess.

I was told the same $50 Down-Payment via a Radio Shack Gift card would be the process more than likely like they did with the Evo. And if a Pre-Order is placed you will receive your phone launch day. The shipments will arrive at the store on the 23rd. This source came from the Store Manager. No Memo yet has been issued to them, only verbal information from the DM via a Conference Call after the iPhone was announced.

BEST BUY HAS BETTER TRADE IN PRICE

32gb 3GS = $315.00 compared to radioshacks $279

Personally i would try ebay, theyre going for about 400-500, thast 100-200 dollars more. Spoke to radioshack managers and they charge the upgrade fee, ATT and Apple and best buy are waiving upgrade fee.

Early Upgrade fee also available at all retail locations, Wal-mart, apple, att, radioshack, best buy

I would not ever go to a Best Buy myself and purchase a Cell Phone. They have no incentive to sell you anything really. An AT&T Store would be a better choice if you have no Apple Stores local. Best Buy and Wal-Mart would be my last option hands down. I would rather go somewhere that the employee makes commission and has more of a reason to serve and help you with your purchase than someone that is being paid hourly to be there. Apple Store is an exception here.

That's "THE SHACK" to you sir! Sorry, I still can't over this crappy, crappy branding decision of theirs to call themselves "The Shack." Really?

When I watched basketball performances, it was from "The Shack." When I was 12, I had my porno hidden in "The Shack." And when I was 15 and in the Boy Scouts and I went camping/boating, I took a crap in "The Shack." But, when I was 16 and built a home-made rocket, I got my parts from "RADIO SHACK."

I agree with you, I am glad I quit Radio Shack before they transitioned to all this new stuff. The reason I see they are rebranding is because they no longer are in the Radio business and want to move along with the Technology and keep up. The parts they were known for selling when they started is just not a high demand market and is hard to target.

dissdnt
Jun 9, 2010, 02:59 PM
Went down to Radio Shack today. They are doing a trade in but you're never gonna get the max price they offer unless it's out of the box new. My 3gs has normal wear over the year so they will only give 230 for it.

And I have a feeling trading in prices will drop when the iPhone 4 drops.

ugp
Jun 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
Went down to Radio Shack today. They are doing a trade in but you're never gonna get the max price they offer unless it's out of the box new. My 3gs has normal wear over the year so they will only give 230 for it.

Yeah it sucks because we have no way of knowing if the trade in values will drop on launch day or should we trade in the day before. So far employees have no word on them doing so but Radio Shack is notorious for not keeping them in the loop when it comes to important information like this.

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 05:04 PM
I would not ever go to a Best Buy myself and purchase a Cell Phone. They have no incentive to sell you anything really. An AT&T Store would be a better choice if you have no Apple Stores local. Best Buy and Wal-Mart would be my last option hands down. I would rather go somewhere that the employee makes commission and has more of a reason to serve and help you with your purchase than someone that is being paid hourly to be there. Apple Store is an exception here.
Absolutely true. We pay our guys well to sell you phones so they WANT your business and will help you 100% to gain it. Walmart and best buy are hourly employees and are just there.

I agree with you, I am glad I quit Radio Shack before they transitioned to all this new stuff. The reason I see they are re-branding is because they no longer are in the Radio business and want to move along with the Technology and keep up. The parts they were known for selling when they started is just not a high demand market and is hard to target.
This is directed at both quotes above...

We are not changing our name to "The Shack". The company name is RadioShack and will remain RadioShack for now.

"The Shack is a nickname that almost all employees call it. If im at home and left something at work i would say: "Damn, i left my hat up at the shack. Oh well, ill get it tomorrow." I cannot remember the last time i said "RadioShack" I have been an employee for 4 1/2 years and a store manager for 2 1/2. This is just what we as employees call the place.

The advertising behind the shack is an effort to show and share that nickname that we have for RadioShack with the world. It's something that i am very happy to have embraced and shared with everyone.

I have said numerous times in this thread that i wouldn't be surprised if the prices went down with the launch of the iPhone 4. Obviously i cant say whether it will or not bc i don't make that decision, but in simple business, it makes sense.

wiestlingjr
Jun 9, 2010, 07:23 PM
Bibbz,

I have a couple questions.. I want to preorder with radioshack. I am NOT the primary account holder, but I am an authorized user. I also know the last 4 digits of the account holders social. Will this be a problem when picking up the phone?

I also have a FAN account. Will these be a problem?

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 07:34 PM
Bibbz,

I have a couple questions.. I want to preorder with radioshack. I am NOT the primary account holder, but I am an authorized user. I also know the last 4 digits of the account holders social. Will this be a problem when picking up the phone?

I also have a FAN account. Will these be a problem?
FAN account isnt an issue.

At the shack we can only do an upgrade or add a line if the account holder is in the store. Some stores will do it, bc physically the computer will let us, but we are not supposed to.

wiestlingjr
Jun 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
And they wont do it even though I am an authorized user of the account? And know the last 4 of the Social Security number? Because I do not want to run into problems with this when I go to pick it up.

Also, will radioshacks be opening early that day?

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 08:15 PM
And they wont do it even though I am an authorized user of the account? And know the last 4 of the Social Security number? Because I do not want to run into problems with this when I go to pick it up.

Also, will radioshacks be opening early that day?

Correct to the even though your an authorized user. Authorized users can do anything but add or upgrade, atleaset at RS.

Again, this is if your store is following the rules. I've ran 3 stores now, and every time i take over a new one, that is something i have to address bc the old managers let them do it. Probably part of the reason they aren't there anymore, haha.

We haven't got official word on an opening time yet. I would imagine we will know at least by the time preorders start if not sooner.

SlavKO
Jun 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thx for the info. Would it be possible to call and preorder from the store I want to pick it up from even if it isnt in my state?

Anyone?
THx

wiestlingjr
Jun 9, 2010, 08:21 PM
Okay.. well I guess I wont be taking my chances at RadioShack. If they let me preorder, would I be good to go on launch day? Or could i still encounter problems

TripHop
Jun 9, 2010, 08:53 PM
Okay.. well I guess I wont be taking my chances at RadioShack. If they let me preorder, would I be good to go on launch day? Or could i still encounter problemsLooks like it will be no problem to lock in an iP4 for launch morning as long as we pre-order next Tuesday morning. It's sort of like 2 launch days - pre order next Tuesday the 15th for a $50 advance (in the form of a gift card) and receive the 24th. The Shack is much handier than any other launch store for me. :)

Adamb18c5
Jun 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
Bibbz: I'm in the dfw area which radio shack do you work at? Would like to go through you for my next iPhone since know what's going on. I will be trading in my current 3gs.

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 09:45 PM
Bibbz: I'm in the dfw area which radio shack do you work at? Would like to go through you for my next iPhone since know what's going on. I will be trading in my current 3gs.
I tried to send you a pm, I'm not really sure why I couldn't.

ugp
Jun 9, 2010, 10:10 PM
I am doing my pre-order without even walking into the Store. The perks of knowing the Manager. He is going to take care of everything for me because I know he wants that SPIFF lol.

For any of your Radio Shack employees does your store plan on opening at 6AM? My friend said for the Evo launch they opened just for Evo customers at 6AM and he doesn't see any reason they would not do this for the iPhone 4 as well.

Adamb18c5
Jun 9, 2010, 10:25 PM
I tried to send you a pm, I'm not really sure why I couldn't.

I tried to PM you too couldn't get it to work either. You can email me at adamb18c5@gmail

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 11:00 PM
I am doing my pre-order without even walking into the Store. The perks of knowing the Manager. He is going to take care of everything for me because I know he wants that SPIFF lol.

For any of your Radio Shack employees does your store plan on opening at 6AM? My friend said for the Evo launch they opened just for Evo customers at 6AM and he doesn't see any reason they would not do this for the iPhone 4 as well.

No official word yet. The big thing with this is apple. They are very very particular with what we do at any time with the iPhone. I can't see apple letting us sell the iPhone at 6am if the apple stores don't. We should get more info in the next few days. I see apple controlling this and RadioShack, best buy, AT&T, and Wally world all starting sales at the same time.

TripHop
Jun 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
No official word yet. The big thing with this is apple. They are very very particular with what we do at any time with the iPhone. I can't see apple letting us sell the iPhone at 6am if the apple stores don't. We should get more info in the next few days. I see apple controlling this and RadioShack, best buy, AT&T, and Wally world all starting sales at the same time.You mean Wal-Mart or something else? I've never heard of Wally World. Is that a chain back east? :confused:

solarguy17
Jun 9, 2010, 11:23 PM

I bought my 3Gs from ATT store and my girlfriends at Apple Store. Mine began freezing within the first 15 days. Went to ATT and they gave me so much trouble when trying to exchange it. They ended up not wanting to exchange it for me and said they don't take returns on iPhones, when it says the customer has a 30 day (BY LAW) return policy. SO then i went to apple store, even though i bought it from ATT, they quickly opened up a new one and gave me a brand new one, no questions asked (just their standard serial number checks). Went to get 3 more iphones for family plan at Apple, fast easy and great service. Point is ATT = no good and Apple = better.

Now for Radioshack. Brother-in-Law goes and his credit gets run twice by child who works at Radioshack and signs him up to expensive plan. So they have to call their 3rd party service provider and the manager there and employee make a big mess of his ATT account and turns out the phone they had was from a customer return, not even brand new. He ends up just getting bad credit after 4 hrs in the stuffy dusty shack. We go to apple next week, now he has to put deposit cause his credit was messed up but guess what? thats right apple waived it as they saw the mistake and he gets a brand new phone. :) Radioshack = worse place to get any phone Apple = smart well trained employees

I just talked about these cases closest to me but I'll tell you those Radioshack employees are the worst to buy any cellphone from. you take a risk with your credit, used phone possibly, long activations, and bad locale. Radioshack is closest to me, then ATT, then Apple, then Best Buy and Walmart. I would take the long trip to apple before i try the first two stores. And if your other options are real far away i would recommend just ordering it on apple's website direct. Shipping is free and you know what plan youre adding. I've heard good stuff about BestBuy and dont have a clue how Walmart goes, just know RADIOSHACK IS THE WORSE, unless of course they get it right and phone works without a flaw the first 30days.

I used to work at Radioshack to and we had very different experiences. I loved working there and we did amazing Verizon and ATT cell sales, no problems at all.

Since I stopped working there (college) I have bought all of my phones (except 3GS) at RS becuase of the good service I got.

You must have been at a crappy store...

bibbz
Jun 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
You mean Wal-Mart or something else? I've never heard of Wally World. Is that a chain back east? :confused:

Walmart, lol

ugp
Jun 10, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've always called Wal-Mart Wally World.

gsander
Jun 10, 2010, 10:05 AM

I don't think any Radio Shack sales people know what a transistor is.

You got questions? We have cell phones.

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
When I talked to the rep at The Shack 2 days ago he told me to keep checking back for what time they'll be open on launch day. He said there is a good chance I'll know when I pre-orer the 15th.

As far as how many non pre-order phones they plan to have, he told me they will likely have as many stock phones as they get pre-ordered. Doesn't apply to those pre-ordering as much as those hitting up RS for shorter lines that didn't pre-order.

I wonder if they will allow me to pay in full on the 15th as oppose to the $50 down payment. Either way I hope this helps Radio Shack out. I have been treated 100X better by the staff there compared to Best Buy OR AT&T. Plus they're prices seem better. When I was there asking about the pre-orders I purchased a car charger/cord to plug my ipod in to the glove box that runs thru the deck for only $37 with tax.

Blonde Buddhist

ugp
Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
I don't think any Radio Shack sales people know what a transistor is.

You got questions? We have cell phones.

Why would they? Not many people buy them anymore.

In the 7 years I worked at RadioShack we didn't get much business for parts and when we did it was for the stuff we didn't carry. I think Fuses are the only things we sold often from those parts drawers. And it was always the same people coming in for parts anyways.

TripHop
Jun 10, 2010, 05:55 PM
Gazelle (http://www.gazelle.com/) buys old iPhones too. :)

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
Gazelle (http://www.gazelle.com/) buys old iPhones too. :)
true enough they do. though they only offered me $201 for my 16gb 3GS with AC adapter and cables in good condition. Ebay will give me AT LEAST an extra $100.. probably $150. But it's good for those without the patience or know how with an EBAY account Ill give you that.

Blonde Buddhist

ugp
Jun 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
Without any adapters and just the phone this is what Radio Shack says...
My phone was just replaced by Apple a few weeks ago. I am curious to see if the value drops as each day goes on. I don't want to be without a phone right now but that isn't a bad value being the value of them on eBay right now. Making $30-40 isn't worth the trouble on eBay. I will be trading mine in for sure.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z9nbd.jpg

TripHop
Jun 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
Without any adapters and just the phone this is what Radio Shack says...
My phone was just replaced by Apple a few weeks ago. I am curious to see if the value drops as each day goes on. I don't want to be without a phone right now but that isn't a bad value being the value of them on eBay right now. Making $30-40 isn't worth the trouble on eBay. I will be trading mine in for sure.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z9nbd.jpgThey're using different quote systems in the store. My pristine 16GB 3G with charger came in on the web @ $185.94 while the in store quote is only $141 and dropping daily according to the manager here. So I'm doing the FedEx pre-paid shipping to CEXCHANGE for the higher amount. Might have to wait for the gift card past the 24th but I'd rather get the higher amount. Plus my store manager says he'll hold my reserved iPhone until the gift card comes back if it doesn't arrive back in 2 weeks. :)

ugp
Jun 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
They're using different quote systems in the store. My pristine 16GB 3G with charger came in on the web @ $185.94 while the in store quote is only $141 and dropping daily according to the manager here. So I'm doing the FedEx pre-paid shipping to CEXCHANGE for the higher amount. Might have to wait for the gift card past the 24th but I'd rather get the higher amount. Plus my store manager says he'll hold my reserved iPhone until the gift card comes back if it doesn't arrive back in 2 weeks. :)

Well that is pretty dumb of them to do that. Makes no difference whether the store does it or you send it in. You would think they would want you to take it into a store so an employee can see the product and make their judgement.

bibbz
Jun 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
Well that is pretty dumb of them to do that. Makes no difference whether the store does it or you send it in. You would think they would want you to take it into a store so an employee can see the product and make their judgement.

Thats exactly it, we judge them honestly bc we can get in trouble if we say its a pristine condition phone to get you more money then send it in and its old and busted...

I'm on a conf call and just got word about the early openings. As soon as i get to work in a minute ill post all the info i have. :)

-aggie-
Jun 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
With the Shack getting the iPhone, the iPhone may have finally jumped the shark.

ugp
Jun 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm on a conf call and just got word about the early openings. As soon as i get to work in a minute ill post all the info i have. :)

Please let me know ASAP! :D

danz1123
Jun 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if I place a preorder on the 19th what the chances are I'll be able to make a reservation for the 24th?

bibbz
Jun 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
My DM told me we can open anytime we want to no later than 8am. I have a best buy and ATT corporate store directly accross the street from me. Im waiting for them to announce when they are opening and ill be open 1 hr before them if they open at 6am, im openening at 5am.

ugp
Jun 11, 2010, 12:21 PM
My DM told me we can open anytime we want to no later than 8am. I have a best buy and ATT corporate store directly accross the street from me. Im waiting for them to announce when they are opening and ill be open 1 hr before them if they open at 6am, im openening at 5am.

I can't see Radio Shack being able to open and sell iPhones before Apple does. Granted your store isn't actually opening, it's for iPhone Customers only before normal business hours.

I am still waiting for my buddy that is a Manager to get an answer from his DM. He spoke up and asked about it on his Conference call this morning.

ugp
Jun 11, 2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone know if I place a preorder on the 19th what the chances are I'll be able to make a reservation for the 24th?

I would Pre-Order ASAP. The longer you wait the less your chances get. Being their are 4 Retailers confirmed to launch I am sure Apple has a big Inventory on these but how much will each Company be receiving is the question. I can see Wal-Mart getting the least from anyone.

bibbz
Jun 11, 2010, 01:53 PM
I would Pre-Order ASAP. The longer you wait the less your chances get. Being their are 4 Retailers confirmed to launch I am sure Apple has a big Inventory on these but how much will each Company be receiving is the question. I can see Wal-Mart getting the least from anyone.
We are being told that inventory will be limited for non preorder customers. Basically, if you want one, you better preorder.

About opening before apple stores...

Thats what i thought too, but the only thing we were told is no later than 8am opening. Basically we can open anytime up to 8am.

ugp
Jun 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
We are being told that inventory will be limited for non preorder customers. Basically, if you want one, you better preorder.

About opening before apple stores...

Thats what i thought too, but the only thing we were told is no later than 8am opening. Basically we can open anytime up to 8am.

I am praying that the Managers here get told the same thing by the DMs as well. Would make things a lot easier. If Radio Shack announces they are opening before everyone else you better prepare for a lot of customers.

brownpaw
Jun 11, 2010, 03:50 PM

I just talked about these cases closest to me but I'll tell you those Radioshack employees are the worst to buy any cellphone from. you take a risk with your credit, used phone possibly, long activations, and bad locale.

Just wanted to say that generally when people have these types of experiences, they are at RadioShack franchises and not company-run (corporate) stores. I have worked at both in the past, and though it's been about 6 years, I can say that things were definitely very different.

Franchise stores, at the time, did indeed work through 3rd party processors for cell phones so it was easier to mess things up. However, it was all through a web interface so more often than not the problems stemmed from the interface crashing or it not being up to date with the latest promotions, etc, than actual user error.

Corporate stores also ran through a web interface but it was directly through the carrier so it was much more reliable.

The bigger problem with cell phones at RadioShack was consistency. The sales flyers would always talk about this deal or that deal, and oftentimes that deal wasn't even offered to franchise stores.

I think a bit of this has been resolved, and I wouldn't mind getting a phone through RadioShack nowadays if there was a good promotion.

However, as someone else said, RadioShack prices on most other things are ridiculously high. I felt terrible when I saw a guy at our store sell this old man a 30-ft HDMI cable for $300. Not kidding at all. I don't know how they stay in business, their prices on most things are not competitive at all.

sw

wiestlingjr
Jun 11, 2010, 06:03 PM
Bibbz

I just talked to my local radioshack and they are also taking preorders. He told me he can't guarantee me the 24th. He said he's not sure when they will come in. How accurate is this? I really don't want to preorder if its not going to be there on the 24th.

bibbz
Jun 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Bibbz

I just talked to my local radioshack and they are also taking preorders. He told me he can't guarantee me the 24th. He said he's not sure when they will come in. How accurate is this? I really don't want to preorder if its not going to be there on the 24th.

If you pre order, you will have one on the 24th. That's kinda the point of a pre order. You know, to guarantee you get one. I'd try a different store if that's an option. If not, idk what to tell ya. Like I said though, if you pre order, you'll have one on launch day. On the Evo pre orders, you had two days to pick it up, if you didn't, we sold them and you had to wait till we got more to get one(all my preorders came and got theirs). Launch day and the day after. I speculate iPhone 4 will be the same way.

wiestlingjr
Jun 11, 2010, 08:09 PM
Okay, the guy I talked to seem pretty good. He just said he can't guarantee that they are even going to get the phones on the 24th. Thats what worried me. He said he couldn't promise me that they will have the phones on the 24th.

bibbz
Jun 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
Okay, the guy I talked to seem pretty good. He just said he can't guarantee that they are even going to get the phones on the 24th. Thats what worried me. He said he couldn't promise me that they will have the phones on the 24th.

The way our DC knows to send us phones on launches is by how many we pre order.

For example for the evo launch my store pre ordered 10, so we were guaranteed to get 10. We also got some extra based on how many pre orders we took, so we got 15 total. The 5 extra were gone within the 1st hour. About 1/2 the pre orders were gone by 10, then the rest of the pre orders came in randomly throughout the day.

As a company we had 10k we could pre order. Once all the stores reached that limit, pre orders stopped. Then we had a different allocation of phones that were sent to stores based on how many preorders they did. I would imagine apple will have us in waaaay better position than just 10k for 4500ish stores.

One thing to be concerned about though if you are on the west coast is if we have say 25k to pre order from, the other 3 time zones have a 3 hour jump on those. All the pre orders could be gone by the time the west coast stores open. Pre order early, and pre order often!!

NJRonbo
Jun 12, 2010, 07:31 AM
Been skimming over 4 pages here so
forgive me if this has been answered...

The only way this Radio Shack deal seems
to work well is if I can walk in the store,
hand them my 3GS phone and get immediate
credit towards an iPhone 4.

If I have to mail my 3GS back to RS and
then wait for a gift card to arrive in the
mail and then go to the store and buy the
iPhone 4 it is just not worth it.

So, the question is, can I simply go to
my Radio Shack store, hand them my
3GS and get immediate store credit on
the new iPhone?

bibbz
Jun 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
Been skimming over 4 pages here so
forgive me if this has been answered...

The only way this Radio Shack deal seems
to work well is if I can walk in the store,
hand them my 3GS phone and get immediate
credit towards an iPhone 4.

If I have to mail my 3GS back to RS and
then wait for a gift card to arrive in the
mail and then go to the store and buy the
iPhone 4 it is just not worth it.

So, the question is, can I simply go to
my Radio Shack store, hand them my
3GS and get immediate store credit on
the new iPhone?

Yes, whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

You come in tell us you want to trade in
We log in and appraise it.
Tell you the appraisal.
You approve or decline.
If you approve, we then hit accept and generate a shipping label and some bar codes with a sku number, and amount of credit.
We put your old iphone in a box slap the label on it and put it to the side.
We then ring up whatever you are wanting to purchase.
Scan the sku that tells the computer its about to have an amount scanned.
Scan the amount.
Instant Happiness!

If your total ticket is more than the appraisal it removes the appraised amount, if its less we apply the rest to a gift card.

NJRonbo
Jun 12, 2010, 08:34 AM
Not bad at all.

NJRonbo
Jun 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Another potential problem...

How many iPhone 4s is Radio Shack going to
have in stock on first day of sale?

It's not like they are the Apple or AT&T store.

If I could be assured of a phone on day one
from Radio Shack the deal would be a pretty
good one.

kutsushita
Jun 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
Another potential problem...

How many iPhone 4s is Radio Shack going to
have in stock on first day of sale?

It's not like they are the Apple or AT&T store.

If I could be assured of a phone on day one
from Radio Shack the deal would be a pretty
good one.

All the radio shacks in Houston sold around 67k evos first day (or so I was told by a manager.)

If anyone is in Houston and shops the galleria they've started a preorder list at the location next to the sanrio store. The manager said they will be opening early on the 24th as well.

umichfan
Jun 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
So if Im getting this right....I bring my 3GS to Radio Shack on the 15th to preorder the iphone 4 and then I have to turn in my old phone in order to get the buy back gift card? But then I would be without a phone for over a week? My local Radio Shack said I could get $256 for my 3gs. But if I read right that price could go down the closer it gets to the ip4 launch?

Thanks

Folke Sonin
Jun 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
I went to my local radio shack tonight to find out about the pre order process. The store manager showed me their internal website where from June 24th to July 15th they were guaranteeing 100$ for any iPhone 3G in excellent condition and at least 200$ for any iPhone 3GS in excellent condition. As of today my iPhone 3G with 8 GB of flash was appraised for 118$. So on June 24th I might loose 18$ :-) You should go to Radio Shack and ask for the manager. She or he will be able to tell you what they can do.

Happy hunting

Folke Sonin

myemosoul
Jun 12, 2010, 10:32 PM
I sold my 16GB 3GS to my local Radio Shack on 6/9 for 184.13 and I'm currently using my old Motorola Razr V3, I'm preordering on the 15th so i certainly hope that i will be holding an iPhone 4 on the 24th. Since i sold my phone I've gotten two phone calls from the store manager, the first one was to ask if I was ok with him putiing my name and phone number on a list of people planning to pre-order and the second call was to ask for my zip code and he told me that he's almost positive i will be getting one on release day which was reassuring. I'm pretty nervous because pretty much all my experiences with Radio Shack have been sketchy over the years, sometime it's really annoying like when i went in one to buy something stupid like CDR's and the associate said i had to be in their system in order to make the sale which required me giving him my name, number and address which i thought was ridiculous.
So far everything is going well this time, when the 3GS came out ATT wouldn't bump up my upgrade date because my bill was under 100 dollars a month, this time they bumped everyone's upgrade date by 6 months! So instead of the 400 bucks i had to pay for my 3GS i will only pay 200 and with the 185 Radio Shack paid for my 3GS it will only be 15 dollars!
Is it true that i'm going to have to pay the $18 dollar upgrade fee at Radio Shack? Apple never charged me that. Or does it get charged to you cell phone bill?

So if Im getting this right....I bring my 3GS to Radio Shack on the 15th to preorder the iphone 4 and then I have to turn in my old phone in order to get the buy back gift card? But then I would be without a phone for over a week? My local Radio Shack said I could get $256 for my 3gs. But if I read right that price could go down the closer it gets to the ip4 launch?

Thanks

puggles
Jun 13, 2010, 12:37 AM
Will radio shack be selling the bumpers?

LARQ1
Jun 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hello Guys!!

I posted my 3gs 32GB White IPhone on CRAIGSLIST and sold it to the 1st guy that called me
for $425 ...why are people settling for the Price that Radio Shack is offering ?????

I had over 10 calls in about 15 mins on my way to sell the phone...I am in Miami FL.... G O O D L U C K all !!

BTW ...I feel naked :eek: now w/o my IPhone and cant wait for FeDex to knock on my door on the 24th :D !

yentrog31
Jun 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hello Guys!!

I posted my 3gs 32GB White IPhone on CRAIGSLIST and sold it to the 1st guy that called me
for $425 ...why are people settling for the Price that Radio Shack is offering ?????

I had over 10 calls in about 15 mins on my way to sell the phone...I am in Miami FL.... G O O D L U C K all !!

BTW ...I feel naked :eek: now w/o my IPhone and cant wait for FeDex to knock on my door on the 24th :D !

congrats..but why would anyone pay 425$ for a 3GS/32 when most can get the iPhone discount for a 4G for 74$ more?..I have 3GS/32 black and Im going to keep mine for a back-up phone/iPod/maybe sell it later/ and I'm getting the $499 discount since I'm not eligible for an upgrade til 3/11...glta

AttilaTheHun
Jun 13, 2010, 05:27 PM
congrats..but why would anyone pay 425$ for a 3GS/32 when most can get the iPhone discount for a 4G for 74$ more?..I have 3GS/32 black and Im going to keep mine for a back-up phone/iPod/maybe sell it later/ and I'm getting the $499 discount since I'm not eligible for an upgrade til 3/11...glta

You got great price, me too sold my 3GS 32G less then one year old in mint condition got only $400

IBradMac
Jun 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
Correct to the even though your an authorized user. Authorized users can do anything but add or upgrade, atleaset at RS.

Bummer, I was considering RS, until I read this.. :rolleyes:

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:01 AM
iBrad,

What did I miss here?

Going to RS today to turn in my iPhone. I don't know what to
make of the quote you provided but will there be any
restrictions in the upgrade purchase I want to make?

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
Just returned from Radio Shack.

I turned in my 32GB 3GS (with all accessories)
which was in almost excellent condition except
for a chip and a scratch and received a $247 credit.

They handed my SIMM card back to me so essentially
the phone is rendered useless.

That falls between what their website pays for
a pristine phone ($301) and a moderate wear ($226).

So, not bad, a $247 credit off of iPhone 4.

Radio Shack is taking preorders starting Thursday.
Essentially, they special order the phone for you.
That pretty much guarantees you a phone on opening day.
All you need to do is leave a $50 deposit when ordering.

They are not certain if they will have the phone
accessories or not.

JoeC2k6
Jun 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
radioshack just offered me 36 cents to $40 for a trade in on a 3GS......really great trade in value at RS...

hobi316
Jun 14, 2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=NJRonbo;10129607]Radio Shack is taking preorders starting Thursday.
Essentially, they special order the phone for you.
That pretty much guarantees you a phone on opening day.
All you need to do is leave a $50 deposit when ordering.
QUOTE]

I'm thinking you meant Tuesday there?

But yeah, they're definitely doing the $50 downpayment thing like with the Evo. I was told to call back this afternoon to get the opening time.

Generally seems like it will be easy to get this phone on launch day. Between Apple, RadioShack, Best Buy, and WalMart, I'm hoping everyone who wants one next Thursday will get it!

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
Nope, he looked it up on his computer and
told me preorders start Thursday for Radio Shack.

However, I would love to be proved wrong on that.

hobi316
Jun 14, 2010, 11:29 AM

I mean, RadioShack isn't at the forefront of techie retail or anything, but that guy can't be that idiotic, can he? The rest of the country is accepting pre-orders for this thing tomorrow, including the Radioshack store I've been in contact with. He's got to be mistaken, man. I would call back and question him on that.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah it's strange. I called them back. They
don't have anything in their system one way
or another but told me to stop in tomorrow and
they will check the system.

Store is on my way to work so I don't mind.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
BTW...

Quick question...

How does Radio Shack know what your upgrade
price will be?

I mean, I know already I am not eligible for a
discount and will have to pay $399 or $499.

Does Radio Shack have access to your AT&T
account to determine your upgrade price?

brownpaw
Jun 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
BTW...
Does Radio Shack have access to your AT&T
account to determine your upgrade price?

Basically, yes.

sampdoria
Jun 14, 2010, 01:46 PM
I just visited my local radio shack near my office and spoke with a sales person who seemed pretty well prepared for this, but take it for what it's worth...

Pre-order: In-store at 7am EST. He suggested to pre-order as soon as possible, because by the time it reaches the west coast, they could run out. "They" meaning radio shack, he wasn't speaking for apple or att. And yes, pre-ordering guarantees me an iphone on launch-day.

Launch-day: This store guaranteed me to have them on the 24th. And it will open earlier than usual (between 5am and 6am), depending on how the pre-orders go.

Trade-ins: Any cell phones, active and non-active ones (with chargers) will be accepted on launch-day. I have razrs and blackberries that I will happily trade in for a credit towards new iphones. This is why I'm leaning towards radioshack more so than the others.

Tip: Get to know your salesperson and vice-versa, before the whole madness begins, that way you'll get better service and no surprises.

-Samp
Boston

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
Pre-order: In-store at 7am EST. He suggested to pre-order as soon as possible

What day? Tomorrow, Tuesday or Thursday?

sampdoria
Jun 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
What day? Tomorrow, Tuesday or Thursday?

Pre-order at Radio Shack tomorrow June 15th as early as they open.

umichfan
Jun 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

I was told by the employee at my local Radio Shack that they go on sale tomorrow June 15. Sorry I meant you can do the pre-orders. =)

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
Are the RS stores opening at 7 or 7:30am tomorrow?

I mean I was at RS this morning and the frakkin' guy
didn't even know preorders start tomorrow let alone
that his store would be open early.

jfinn1976
Jun 14, 2010, 03:56 PM
My local RS said 7:30 pre-orders start on tues the 15th, I sure hope you don't wait until thurs.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Okay here's the deal....

None of the Radio Shack stores in our area
know anything yet because there is a conference
call within the hour.

Let me explain...

Called another RS store in the area. Was told
that they don't know anything about iPhone preorders
tomorrow simply because they are all due for a
conference call within the hour from corporate to
discuss what the procedure will be.

So, perhaps you store already got the news.

I will say this. The woman at the second RS
store took down my phone number and said she
would personally call me later today to give me
all the details.

puggles
Jun 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
Just went to mine...they are opening at 7AM and have both colors available to pre-order. They are also expecting a line and said to get there early because they will run out quickly.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 05:46 PM
I would urge everyone to call their Radio Shack store
immediately and report back on this....

Just called 3 stores in my area and got the following
information....

Radio Shack will be giving PIN numbers to everyone
starting at 1pm EST tomorrow.

The PIN does not guarantee you will get an iPhone.
You walk in the store, Radio Shack goes into the
system and checks your eligibility then issues you
a PIN.

There are only a limited amount of PINs available.

These are NOT pre-orders per Apple's request.
And again, the PIN does not guarantee you will
get a phone.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 05:58 PM
Here's the info from the big call we just had...

We will be taking reservations at 12PM CST. This reservation guarantees you a phone on launch day. The way our DC knows which stores to send phones is from the reservations. Example. If my store reserves 10, i will get 10 + a few extra. There will be limited quantities, so get to your store as early as possible before 12pm cst and hang out. The pin numbers are to match your reservation to your phone b/c there is no money transfer. Replenishment on iPhone 4 is based on iPhone 3G/s sales. If your local store sells 1 every 2 weeks, they wont be getting replenished as often as a store that sole 10/week.

Also, we CAN open whenever we want to on launch day. My store is opening at 6am. One hour before Best Buy, and ATT.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
@NJRonbo...

Reservations with a pin attached DO guarantee you a phone on launch day. This is how our DC knows how many to send. Otherwise there would be no point in doing a reservation. Basically if a store takes 20 reservations, they will get 20 phones plus a few extra based on how many reservations they took. If a store tells you the reservation will not guarantee you a phone, go to a diff RS bc that store doest know what theya re talking about.

:apple: says we cannot call it a "pre-order" and we cannot take money for the iPhone 4 before launch day!

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
I will try to hang close to my computer for any questions.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Wait a sec...

Had to read that again...

If I get a PIN tomorrow at 1pm EST I am guaranteed
a phone on launch day? I don't have to stand in line
that morning?

They told me differently when I called the store citing
NO RESERVATIONS.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
Wait a sec...

Had to read that again...

If I get a PIN tomorrow at 1pm EST I am guaranteed
a phone on launch day? I don't have to stand in line
that morning?

They told me differently when I called the store citing
NO RESERVATIONS.

If you get a reservation pin, you will have a phone on launch day, bottom line. No pin, no guarantee of a phone. With the pin, you can pick it up when you want. At opening or 8pm at night. I would make damn sure i am the 1st person in line at 1PM EST to be sure you get a PIN.

We just cant call it a pre-order, and cant take money before the 24th.

Be srue you talk to the store manager, and again, if you get something other than what i said, call another store.

Alxvasqz12
Jun 14, 2010, 06:09 PM
no white iphone preorder at radioshack! i just called my local radio shack and they said they are only preordering black ones. i think apple is the only one :eek:

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
bibbz,

Phew!

You are doing all of us a great service here with this information.

The salesman just called me from the store I was in today.

He is telling me that there is no guarantee of the iPhone even
if you get the pin -- but he admitted he was not certain. All he
knew was that there was something like 9500 pins nationwide.

Told him that I had just read your message and that you were
saying if I got a PIN I have a guarantee of a phone.

He warned me that Radio Shack does not want the word
"guarantee" used.

I am putting a lot of faith in what you are saying here.
I will be at my Radio Shack store early tomorrow.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:12 PM
What?!

No white phone?

Can you verify bibbz?

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
bibbz,

Phew!

You are doing all of us a great service here with this information.

The salesman just called me from the store I was in today.

He is telling me that there is no guarantee of the iPhone even
if you get the pin -- but he admitted he was not certain. All he
knew was that there was something like 9500 pins nationwide.

Told him that I had just read your message and that you were
saying if I got a PIN I have a guarantee of a phone.

He warned me that Radio Shack does not want the word
"guarantee" used.

I am putting a lot of faith in what you are saying here.
I will be at my Radio Shack store early tomorrow.

What?!

No white phone?

Can you verify bibbz?
The info i stated is directly from my DM.

We havent been told no white ones. I even asked specifically on the call, and no one had heard that.

TripHop
Jun 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
If you get a reservation pin, you will have a phone on launch day, bottom line. No pin, no guarantee of a phone. With the pin, you can pick it up when you want. At opening or 8pm at night. I would make damn sure i am the 1st person in line at 1PM EST to be sure you get a PIN.

We just cant call it a pre-order, and cant take money before the 24th.

Be srue you talk to the store manager, and again, if you get something other than what i said, call another store.My Radio Shack Manager knows nothing about PIN numbers and is opening at normal 9AM tomorrow. Says he still doesn't know exactly how the pre-orders will be conducted. Hasn't heard from corporate yet. Still in the dark he says. :confused:

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
You know what?

Third friggin' RS store I have called and ALL
say that even if you get a PIN tomorrow it is
no guarantee of a phone.

I think I am going to order directly from Apple.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
My Radio Shack Manager knows nothing about PIN numbers and is opening at normal 9AM tomorrow. Says he still doesn't know exactly how the pre-orders will be conducted. Hasn't heard from corporate yet. Still in the dark he says. :confused:
Incredible.

The company call was at 3:30pm cst, then my DM held a call with us at 5pm cst. No reason he shouldn't have the info.

TripHop
Jun 14, 2010, 06:27 PM

We havent been told no white ones. I even asked specifically on the call, and no one had heard that.

Rumor has it, 20k phones. We haven't got an official number, but i've heard 20k mentioned from a few different higher ups.That number has got to be just for your district. No way is that a national number. If I can't get a white one that leaves me out. I want a white 32.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
I hate Radio Shack.

Salesman have their heads up their butts
or corporate does not know what to tell them.

The 4th store I called said if you have a PIN
you are guaranteed a phone.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 06:34 PM
I hate Radio Shack.

Salesman have their heads up their butts
or corporate does not know what to tell them.

The 4th store I called said if you have a PIN
you are guaranteed a phone.
I understand your frustration, but apple kept us all in the dark until the very last minute. Before 3:30 no body knew anything. It will take it a little while to roll down hill.
I think we all know how secretive apple is don't we?

I just manage a store in the best region in the company. We have a very effective chain of command here in E. Texas.

TripHop
Jun 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
I understand your frustration, but apple kept us all in the dark until the very last minute. Before 3:30 no body knew anything. It will take it a little while to roll down hill.
I think we all know how secretive apple is don't we?

I just manage a store in the best region in the company. We have a very effective chain of command here in E. Texas.I called all 3 corporate stores in my county and none of the managers knew about the conference call and none of them know how they're going to handle pre-orders tomorrow morning. They ASSUME it will be the way they pre-sold Evo phones which was with a $50 deposit. But they don't know anything about PIN numbers or anything else the East Texas administration or national is telling you. One manager reported there's a pre-opening conference call scheduled for California stores tomorrow morning. The other 2 didn't even report that to me. But just called my closest store and the manager says the 8:30 conference call tomorrow morning is a weekly event and nothing special for the pre-order instructions. :confused:

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
The situation gets worse for Radio Shack....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/how-to-pre-order-the-iphone-4/

Update 2: We've been tipped that Apple may now be blocking third-party retailers from taking pre-orders altogether tomorrow. RadioShack already changed its story on us, and now Best Buy locations have started doing the same, telling us that they definitely won't be taking pre-orders tomorrow but may be by the end of the week. Bottom line -- hit up Apple's website in the morning.

Azdel
Jun 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
I just got off the phone with my local RadioShack. I was told that the PIN would not guarantee you a phone on launch day, but that the chances of getting one are VERY VERY good. I know the manager very well, and trust that whoever told him said the same thing. I'm assuming the calls were done on a regional, if not district level, as opposed to company wide to give people a chance to ask questions, so it seems that most likely personal interpretations came into play, causing the original message, whatever it may have been to get screwed up.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
Why on earth would Radio Shack ask anyone
to stand on line tomorrow to get a PIN just
to stand on line again opening day to get a phone
for which you are not guaranteed for?

What kind of crap is that?

The problem is, each store has a different
opinion on the reservation policy.

I think I am going to order directly from Apple.

Problem is, I have a $247 credit from Radio
Shack and I don't even shop at their stores
anymore.

sampdoria
Jun 14, 2010, 07:01 PM

Rumor has it, 20k phones. We haven't got an official number, but i've heard 20k mentioned from a few different higher ups.

Let's see, 20k iphones for the entire country, you have better odds at getting a pair of U2 concert tickets!

Oh well, I guess I'm going with Apple...

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
I called all 3 corporate stores in my county and none of the managers knew about the conference call and none of them know how they're going to handle pre-orders tomorrow morning. They ASSUME it will be the way they pre-sold Evo phones which was with a $50 deposit. But they don't know anything about PIN numbers or anything else the East Texas administration or national is telling you. One manager reported there's a pre-opening conference call scheduled for California stores tomorrow morning. The other 2 didn't even report that to me. But just called my closest store and the manager says the 8:30 conference call tomorrow morning is a weekly event and nothing special for the pre-order instructions. :confused:
My district had our 8:30 conf call for tomorrow at 5pm today. There was the normal RS stuff, then all about the iphone launch. Some stores may not get the info til tomorrow bc it was communicated so late in the afternoon.

I just got off the phone with my local RadioShack. I was told that the PIN would not guarantee you a phone on launch day, but that the chances of getting one are VERY VERY good. I know the manager very well, and trust that whoever told him said the same thing. I'm assuming the calls were done on a regional, if not district level, as opposed to company wide to give people a chance to ask questions, so it seems that most likely personal interpretations came into play, causing the original message, whatever it may have been to get screwed up.
The original call was Area specific and all dms were on it. Then my DM held a call with us immediatly after the big call. Some DM's might hold this info til tomorrow. I have no idea why.

Why on earth would Radio Shack ask anyone
to stand on line tomorrow to get a PIN just
to stand on line again opening day to get a phone
for which you are not guaranteed for?

My point exactly. We wouldn't be doing it if you weren't guaranteed a phone. See my above text, and call your store again in the am.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
Bbiz,

Keep us posted. Worse case I pre order from Apple first
thing tomorrow then cancel if Radio Shack guarantees me
a phone later that day with their PIN program.

myemosoul
Jun 14, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm in the same exact boat Ronbo. I live in NJ too by the way.
I traded my 16GB 3GS to Radio Shack on 6/9 for a 184 dollar credit to use on iPhone4 and i got a call from the store manager an hour and a half ago telling me that they're not allowed to take pre-orders but i can come tomorrow at 1pm and get a pin number that DOESN'T even guarantee me a phone on the 24th?
I'm probably going to pre-order on apple's website tomorrow and spend my 184 dollar credit on a vcr/dvd recorder combo instead.
UGH, i knew i shouldn't have done this, and the icing on the cake is that I have to use my Razr V3 until the 24th which is killing me, and all for nothing.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
Nice to meet you Jersey.

Are the gift cards good indefinitely?

puggles
Jun 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
ok definitely not going to radio shack... they changed the time from 7AM to 1PM and are now giving out pins which will put your name on a list and they will call you as they are received to the store.... definitely not guaranteed! They also seemed really desperate for my business. Im guessing they also made the 1PM time so you will miss other pre orders and be stuck with them....unless you can pre order with apple and radio shack and cancel the apple one if radio shack does work out?

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2010, 07:50 PM
Puggles,

Exactly my plan.

myemosoul
Jun 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
Now they're saying white won't be available until later this summer. dammit, i wanted white!
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/714102-exclusive-iphone-4-only-black-initially.html

nvjusme
Jun 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
Radio Shack employees are clueless and have very little information about the Iphone 4 preorder. It looks like they are only taking names and they'll call you when they get them, whenever that is.

TripHop
Jun 14, 2010, 08:49 PM
Now they're saying white won't be available until later this summer. dammit, i wanted white!
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/714102-exclusive-iphone-4-only-black-initially.htmlThat's BS. I bought my white 3GS last year on launch day. No way is Apple only making black phones to begin with.

I guess this means the only way to be sure we can get a white one is to pre-order with Apple. So much for the Radiio Shack trade-in program. I'll just let Fed-Ex do the walking for me.

bibbz
Jun 14, 2010, 08:51 PM
Nice to meet you Jersey.

Are the gift cards good indefinitely?
Yes

ok definitely not going to radio shack... they changed the time from 7AM to 1PM and are now giving out pins which will put your name on a list and they will call you as they are received to the store.... definitely not guaranteed!
wrong, read my posts from today.

Radio Shack employees are clueless and have very little information about the Iphone 4 preorder. It looks like they are only taking names and they'll call you when they get them, whenever that is.
wrong, read my posts from today.

BrentT
Jun 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
My local RS said they were on a conference call at 5:30 pm EST for the latest info. He said they will take preorders at 1 pm on 6/15 BUT that is only taking a name and number, it is not a reservation or guarantee of a phone on the 24th. He had no idea how many phones they will actually receive. I don't think I will bother signing up.

One question I forgot to ask is if they will still buy my 3G phone? He earlier told me there would be a $100 floor for trade-ins from 6/24 to 7/24 but I don't know if that requires a phone purchase too.

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 06:30 AM
I have no choice but to go with Radio Shack.

Despite what was told to all of us in advance
based on upgrade eligibility after December 2010,
a new iPhone will cost me $600.

It comes with no commitment which is fine. I
will get the new iPhone next year at a discount.

So, I need that $247 store credit to bring the
pricing down.

I will go to the store today. The kid there knows
me by now and I think he will help me get the
phone on opening day.

Still grumbling about this whole ordeal plus the
fact that NOBODY is getting white phones.

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 09:02 AM
Those of you still looking to order from the Shack...

The latest I am hearing this morning from at least
one store is that preorders start at 1pm.

...however they are not calling it preorders. They
take down your name, phone and email and check
the system. No deposit.

I am being told that you ARE guaranteed a phone
with this reservation.

jfinn1976
Jun 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
Those of you still looking to order from the Shack...

The latest I am hearing this morning from at least
one store is that preorders start at 1pm.

...however they are not calling it preorders. They
take down your name, phone and email and check
the system. No deposit.

I am being told that you ARE guaranteed a phone
with this reservation.

This is the same I was told last night and this morning.

No deposit required, they'll call at 1, and get a pin number and he said it will not be a problem getting it.

jeremy.king
Jun 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
My wife walked into store about an hour ago. Reserved a 16GB and a 32GB without issue. We were offered store credit for trade-ins but don't have to decide until we purchase, and $20 accessory credit as well. We were informed that we may not get them on launch day, but we would have them by 6/28 at the latest. I'm fine with this, and so far I'm pleased with Radio Shack.

spencers
Jun 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
Just called my local Radio Shack and left my information. They said they'd call me back at 12pm (CST) with a PIN number.

:D

I'm not eager to get the iPhone 4 on launch day. I just think the trade-in offer is pretty sweet. Sure, I could potentially get more $ for my 16GB 3GS, but I think the market will be saturated come June 24, plus it's much less of a hassle!

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for fully subsidized pricing, so I'd be paying $400 for early upgrade. Doing the trade-in will bring me down to $200, so I'm fine with that!

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
are you able to reserve more than one phone on a family plan??

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
My RS store would not let me leave information.

They are waiting till 1pm EST.

Meanwhile, people are twittering their stores
are issuing pin numbers to them.

What gives?

Man of man, was Radio Shack the worst outfit
to do this through. Don't totally blame them for
being handed this crap.

bibbz
Jun 15, 2010, 11:36 AM
Se after some clarification, heres the process...

We cant guarantee you a phone, but if you "reserve" and have a pin number, you will get a phone. We just cant make a promise, guarantee, or anything like that per apple.

The same still applies, if we take 10 pins, we get 10 phones.

bibbz
Jun 15, 2010, 11:39 AM

What gives?

We cant issue pins before 12cst, but we can take down your info and punch it in at 12, then call you and give you the pin.

ugp
Jun 15, 2010, 12:48 PM
My buddy was able to get my PIN to generate but every ticket after will not. He did my ticket for me at 1:00EST on the dot.

Hopefully I get it. If not I will wait I guess until it comes in. In the end it's just a phone.

ugp
Jun 15, 2010, 12:49 PM

What gives?

Man of man, was Radio Shack the worst outfit
to do this through. Don't totally blame them for
being handed this crap.

Stores were told any ticket generated before 12CST would be voided.

styles111
Jun 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
I went to Radioshack today right before 1:00pm like 12:58 and the store manager was able print out two pin numbers for me. One for my wife and the other for myself. They are only allowed to do one pin per person but I am going to start up another separate account for myself that's why he gave me two. I drove 8 minutes down the road (like a maniac) to another Radioshack to reserve my finally Iphone 32GB with them but they weren't able to print me out a pin number with that reservation.

This was literally 15 minutes apart from store to store. When the Manager of the first Radioshack that I went to completed my first reservation, he was like "Damn, there was literally over 100 pre-orders placed within a space of 2 minutes".

This is going to be crazy on release day.

puggles
Jun 15, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well I went to RS around 2 EST and she couldn't get it to go through but she just called me and said im all set... Not holding my breath though. I have a backup preorder at apple...it would be way easier to just go to RS though.

spencers
Jun 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
To follow up to my last post, just got a call from my local Radio Shack and got my PIN.

The waiting begins!

styles111
Jun 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
To follow up to my last post, just got a call from my local Radio Shack and got my PIN.

The waiting begins!

So did I! She called me and gave me my pin 24000000xxxxx.

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 02:17 PM
What a cluster F it was at Radio Shack.

It was just my friend and I on line. Nobody else.

Was there for 30 minutes before I left for work
leaving them with my name. My friend stayed
an additional 30 minutes.

They could not generate a pin. System kept
rejecting their request. Finally we were told they
were out of pins.

Meanwhile, I still see posts about some of you
getting PIN numbers.

spencers
Jun 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
So did I! She called me and gave me my pin 24000000xxxxx.

Neat, I'm 22000000xxxxx

cmcgivern
Jun 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
Radio Shack is no longer doing Pre-orders...I was told there are no more iPhones available for them...

The Best Buy in my area is doing a $50 Pre-order but it's BS...The $50 doesn't go towards the iPhone...You're still going to have to pay full price (not guaranteed that you will get one on launch) and the $50 that was originally paid will be returned to you as a gift card. Are you serious????

bibbz
Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
We ran out of pins within an hour. Ridiculous.

myemosoul
Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
Went to my Radio Shack and was the only person there looking for an iPhone4, stood there for an hour from 1 to 2pm while the manager and another associate tried a million times to get me a PIN, finally they told me to go home and they would keep trying and give me a call when they got one.
45 minutes later i got a call that they finally got through and i have a PIN, they told me that even if one phone shows up at the store on release day it's mine.
Now i have to sit and wait 9 days to see what happens on release day, not betting on getting one at this point, i even had to sacrifice and order black when i wanted a white one. When white finally does come out i'm going to the Apple store and asking them to swap phones for all this trouble.
This whole process so far has been one big fat WTF!

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 02:55 PM
Question for our Radio Shack representative here(BIBBZ)

Do you think that Apple will ship phones to stores
that were not able to obtain pin numbers?

Any estimation how soon after launch Radio Shack
may start receiving shipments of phones for the
general public?

Unfortunately, at $600, Radio Shack is my only
means of getting an iPhone with their $247 trade-in.
Otherwise, the phone is just too overpriced -- and
at $600 it comes with a new 2-year contract (not
no-commitment) since I am in mid contract already.

jbro1999
Jun 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
Went to my Radio Shack and was the only person there looking for an iPhone4, stood there for an hour from 1 to 2pm while the manager and another associate tried a million times to get me a PIN, finally they told me to go home and they would keep trying and give me a call when they got one.
45 minutes later i got a call that they finally got through and i have a PIN, they told me that even if one phone shows up at the store on release day it's mine.
Now i have to sit and wait 9 days to see what happens on release day, not betting on getting one at this point, i even had to sacrifice and order black when i wanted a white one. When white finally does come out i'm going to the Apple store and asking them to swap phones for all this trouble.
This whole process so far has been one big fat WTF!

Same thing happened to me! Just got mine pin too. Took them over 250 tries. I was the only one in the store that got an iPhone. He also told me only 4 stores out for 22 got through in our district. I'm not mad though... It was kind of fun, and killed most of my boring day at work.

sampdoria
Jun 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
What a cluster F it was at Radio Shack.

It was just my friend and I on line. Nobody else.

Was there for 30 minutes before I left for work
leaving them with my name. My friend stayed
an additional 30 minutes.

They could not generate a pin. System kept
rejecting their request. Finally we were told they
were out of pins.

Meanwhile, I still see posts about some of you
getting PIN numbers.

Sorry to hear NJRonbo. I was back and forth between going to Apple and RS. But the RS salesperson last night, persuaded me to give him a try, and he would throw in a $50 gift card on top of my crappy trade-ins (good salesman), because I was going for 2 iphone4s. If it didn't work, then go to Apple.

So I decided this morning to try my luck with him. I was the only person in the store asking for the new iphone at 1pm, in the middle of urban cambridge (boston), believe it or not. Patience was key here. He started my order right at 1pm, but got declined like 20 times. I went back to my work an hour later. And he calls me around 2:45pm to say that he has two pins for 32GB iphone4s for me! As far as he knows, they will be available on launch day. With all the uncertainties that have been said on this thread, I won't hold my breath for launch day, but I do appreciate the discounts and trade-ins. So, I say good deal in any case.

He told me he got calls from DM's about there being still plenty of inventory an hour after the start, but because everyone was accessing the central server at once, it was jamming up. It took 2hrs and 45 mins to get my order processed.

I'm pretty satisfied (or lucky) so far, even though the process is so f'd up. I don't think RS intentionally does it this way, but hey it is what it is, for this once in a few years.

East
Jun 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
I went to my radio shack i was the only one to come in and pre order it but i didn't get a pin but they took my name down and said they would get them in Thursday but want sell them til Friday and that they would call me

Dark K
Jun 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
Same situation here, only guy that was pre ordering on my local RS, they couldn't enter the reservation, I talked to them and finally decided to come the 24th very early to get my phone without reserving it, I have to say that RS is a mess with reservation, I can't imagine if there were more people reserving today.

I am happy though, the town where I live, when it comes to apple stuff, it is ghost town, so I kinda bet that it will be me plus a maximum of 4 people atleast on launch day.

blizzardnorth
Jun 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
So I called my local radio shack multiple times pertaining the iphone 4 launch and preorder/ customer request and about trading in my iphone.

I stopped in the store today exactly at 12PM and asked if I could sign up for the iphone preorder. The man there corrected me and said it was a "customer request/reservation" that was taking place. He said he was having internet troubles and couldn't access the website right now, but would take down my information and put me into the system once it was up. I gave him my information and then we talked a little bit about trading in my current black 32 gb 3gs.

<- Shoot, OSX10.6.4 wants me to reboot... and I'm itching to see if it's any faster.

Wow, got a whole round of modern warfare 2 hardcore team deathmatch in while 10.6.4 installed.

Ok, then I read online that Radio Shack stopped the program within like 2 hours so that had me wondering if my local store was able to enter my information into the system in time.

I called again and was assured that my information did go in correctly... But he made no mention of a PIN.
I'm thinking about calling back and asking if there will be any confirmation emails/calls.

My local Radio Shack says that they are getting stock on the 24th and that they will call me and arrange a meeting where I will receive my iphone.

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 04:31 PM
So, again I am hoping our Radio Shack rep here can tell
us if the stores will be getting shipments of the iPhone for
the general population on launch day.

I think I can persuade the owner into at least calling me at
home when his shipment arrives.

slothy420
Jun 15, 2010, 04:41 PM
Radio Shack is no longer doing Pre-orders...I was told there are no more iPhones available for them...

The Best Buy in my area is doing a $50 Pre-order but it's BS...The $50 doesn't go towards the iPhone...You're still going to have to pay full price (not guaranteed that you will get one on launch) and the $50 that was originally paid will be returned to you as a gift card. Are you serious????

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it doesn't match my experience at BB this morning. I paid $50 for the deposit which was returned to me in the form of a $50 BB gift card, which the sales rep specifically told me to bring it back on the 24th and it would be applied towards my iPhone purchase. I have a 9am appt at the store (1st appt of the day) and will be the first one to walk out of there with my new iPhone 4.

severe
Jun 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it doesn't match my experience at BB this morning...

Likewise. The GF and I stopped by our local BB just after opening this morning as well. As much as I don't particularly like BB, our location made it as painless a procedure as it could be. One iPhone each. In and out in a few minutes, with a 10am appointment made for pickup on the 24th. And a promise of a call for confirmation before then.

BTW, the GF used a gift certificate for the preorder and will use the remainder when she picks up the phone. Absolute zero out-of-pocket for her. I'm glad I tagged along today, having heard of the disaster elsewhere.

Good luck to those of you still looking to preorder.

NJRonbo
Jun 15, 2010, 06:36 PM
This whole day has left a bad taste in my mouth
as I am certain many others.

It was impossible for many to order an iPhone from
the Apple site.

Let alone the anger there must have been about there
being no white phones available.

I can tell you that Radio Shack was taking orders for
white phones. I opted not to order because I figured
if Apple was not selling them then I would not have a
phone on launch day. There is a rumor that 3rd party
retailers like RS and Best Buy would get white phones.

Anyhow...

Standing in the RS store as the employees kept punching
in attempt after attempt to get a stupid pin number was
just an inane process. It's the same thing as thousands
of people converging on the Apple site at the same time
to preorder an iPhone.

It shouldn't have to be this frustrating.

ugp
Jun 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
This has to be the worst a pre-order has ever gone in history. Better preparation needs to be made in the future to avoid these problems.

I was able to get Apples site to get to the final stage and "Place Order" but I opted not to. I am first on the list at my local Radio Shack and I will take my chances there. I am not going to be able to be home when the iPhone would deliver. If I have to wait I will wait. My friend is the Manager and he would process my ticket for me if he had to and drop it off to me if it doesn't come launch day. Otherwise I will be there the 24th in the morning at opening.

DEE9299
Jun 15, 2010, 08:39 PM
i got 2 pins from radio shack today.....one 22000...... and the other 25000......

Raidersmojo
Jun 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
I work for radioshack and they were doing a nationwide release at the same time for iphone 4, because when we did the evo release, the east coast took all the phones before the west got anything.

this time they did a major release at 12:00 Central. totally screwed everyone since everyone waited for 1 to generate pins.

luckily, got two for customers, and four for myself (had my dad buy them)

two 32 Gigs and two 16's. I hope they come because our manager was talking about how potentially we might not get the phone.

NJRonbo
Jun 16, 2010, 06:18 PM
Raiders -

Do you think perhaps you may get a shipment of
iPhone 4s for the general public without pins prior
to July 24th?

You think that is possible or do you think Apple is
just going to cut RS out of the iPhone 4 equation altogether?

TripHop
Jun 17, 2010, 05:51 AM
West Coast corporate store. At 10AM Paciific they had white codes to order with but no orders were possible due to the overload. So my store manager put all the orders on paper and manually placed them with corporate later in the day over the telephone. He thinks he's getting one WHITE 32 for me and will let me know Tuesday when he gets a copy of the shipping manifest. :eek:

Raidersmojo
Jun 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
Raiders -

Do you think perhaps you may get a shipment of
iPhone 4s for the general public without pins prior
to July 24th?

You think that is possible or do you think Apple is
just going to cut RS out of the iPhone 4 equation altogether?

rumor has it, yes. We are going to get iphone 4's from wireless D2U, but there will not be many.

However, with the constraints on the inventory right now, I doubt that is possible. It's going to look like if you did not get a pin this time, you will not get an iphone.

My DM told me I might not even get the iphones I ordered myself for various reasons. Radioshack had no idea what they were going to do for the launch the night before.

Best bet is to either go to wally world (wal mart) or get it on apple.com

gadgetgirlnyc
Jun 17, 2010, 09:52 AM
rumor has it, yes. We are going to get iphone 4's from wireless D2U, but there will not be many.

However, with the constraints on the inventory right now, I doubt that is possible. It's going to look like if you did not get a pin this time, you will not get an iphone.

My DM told me I might not even get the iphones I ordered myself for various reasons. Radioshack had no idea what they were going to do for the launch the night before.

Best bet is to either go to wally world (wal mart) or get it on apple.com

I have not heard anything about Walmart getting the iPhone4 :confused:. I do know I went to my local RS & was asked for my information. The manager said he will call me @ 1:00am Thursday morning to give me a pin#. Gave me an appointment for 8:00am. I told him if no shipment, do not call me!! ;)

gkp
Jun 17, 2010, 11:43 AM
I got to my local RS at 8am, nobody there, left and came back around 8:45, there were a few people there. The manager was on his cell phone listening to a conference call. After the call finished, he said that it was decided that they are NOT taking pre-orders, but only reservations. He took our names and info and said he would call later in the day with "Pin Numbers" that were assigned to their store. He also said that he could not reserve any iPhones in their system/computer until 10am. So, basically what happened is another store entered their reservations before the 10am assigned time and took up all the pin numbers for OUR area. (This cheating store is in Sacramento, Ca.)
So, later in the day, I called and the manager said that they could only hope for some iPhones to be sent to our store and if so, they would keep ours aside for us (first come, first serve). But, he said the likelyhood of this happening looks grim.

Why did Apple/RadioShack even bother? Even the manager told me the whole process was screwed up.

myemosoul
Jun 17, 2010, 11:57 AM
The store i went to showed me the piece of paper with the directions on how to get the PIN numbers and it specifically said that if the store were to try and push a reserve through before 1pm it would be cancelled.
I for one certainly hope they honor this rule as my store waited until exactly 1pm to try to put mine through and couldn't get a PIN until an hour and a half later.

GermanSuplex
Jun 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
Why did Apple/RadioShack even bother? Even the manager told me the whole process was screwed up.

This is what I'm wondering. Why bother if this is how its going to be? I've seen several different outcomes to one situation: People trying to get an iPhone. My name was written on a piece of blank paper (apparantly I was the first one at my store to ask for the iPhone 4). The guy called me back an hour and a half or so later for my address and the make/model of the phone I wanted. I've gotten no further updates, no pin, etc.

*Update:

I just received an email from Radio Shack, an advertisement email with a 10% off coupon. Nothing about the iPhone though.

**Just called the store, and supposedly out of three stores in my area I was the only one who asked for a reservation before they were cut off. My reservation was supposedly successful. The guy said that the outlook is good that I'll get one on launch day, but it isn't definite. We'll see, I guess.

TripHop
Jun 18, 2010, 06:30 AM
He said they gave up and that corporate is just going to send out whatever allocation next week not based on any PIN numbers since most stores give-up trying to get them. :rolleyes:

NJRonbo
Jun 18, 2010, 07:32 AM
There has been a lot of speculation that PIN
numbers were given out as early as 7am that
morning -- well in advance of the 12pm CST
preorder start.

If you read posts here on Mac Rumors you
will see that claim is substantiated.

Very unhappy with the way Radio Shack ran
this entire preorder campaign.

theonekcrow
Jun 18, 2010, 07:50 PM
Basically if a store takes 20 reservations, they will get 20 phones plus a few extra based on how many reservations they took.!

Are you certain on this statement, if so I will be camping out in front of Radio Shack on the 24th...

NJRonbo
Jun 18, 2010, 07:55 PM
Would also like confirmation on this from someone
that works for Radio Shack. Here's why....

If you did not get a PIN it's hard to even pick a store
to try and buy a phone from on launch day.

Most stores were unable to even preorder one phone
for their customers. I called 4 stores in my area and
only one of them was able to generate a single pin.

The store manager told us that the way Radio Shack
determines how many phones they will get is by how
many 3GS phones they sold over the year.

There are so many factors that play with each
individual store not to mention the fact that I don't
think Radio Shack has a huge supply of phones coming
to them in the first place.

Dark K
Jun 19, 2010, 03:29 PM
If anyone can answer me this question, it would be most appreciated :D

Does anyone know how many iPhone 4s Radioshack will be getting apart from those that they "reserved"?

ugp
Jun 19, 2010, 05:58 PM
There is no telling how much Inventory RadioShack is going to actually receive. My buddy told me my pre-order, I mean reserve was the first one to go through in the district. Our district here was able to generate 60 PINs he was told by the DM. Not I don't believe anything RadioShack says and don't expect them to receive all 60 of the phones. I just pray that his store receives at least one iPhone 4 so I can have mine.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 20, 2010, 04:28 PM
you might be better off at a mall RadioShack than a stand alone store....they tend to get more inventory of any product

mikewilder23
Jun 21, 2010, 03:43 AM
well looking forward for its launching...:)

Brandon4692
Jun 21, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've been reading this whole post and I'm finally gonna chime in. I went into my local radioshack the day of pre orders/request and they took down my info and tried getting me a pin... They called me back the next day saying they couldn't get any. But their website says they will have the iPhone 4 "coming soon" so I'm nervous about if they will have some at launch so I went to the same store and the idiot behind the counter had no clue about what he was talking about (different guy than before) he said to try on Thursday cause they won't know till actually Thursday if/when they will get them. I may be an idiot for trusting radioshack but I want to trade in my 3GS so... I'll be waiting outside of my radioshack atleast an hour before they open on Thursday. Wish me luck!

severe
Jun 21, 2010, 11:49 PM
...I may be an idiot for trusting radioshack but I want to trade in my 3GS so... I'll be waiting outside of my radioshack atleast an hour before they open on Thursday. Wish me luck!

I would sell the 3GS privately. You're almost guaranteed to get more for it. Post it somewhere tonight and I'll bet you that you get more for it than what Radio Shack will offer you.

Radio Shack's trade-in program is a decent option, but one could do much better with a little leg work.

Brandon4692
Jun 22, 2010, 12:43 AM
I would sell the 3GS privately. You're almost guaranteed to get more for it. Post it somewhere tonight and I'll bet you that you get more for it than what Radio Shack will offer you.

Radio Shack's trade-in program is a decent option, but one could do much better with a little leg work.

Yeah I thought about that... But I'd rather not go through the hassle of craigs list and eBay... Just to many unknown factors. Who they are shipping meeting up with strangers scams I just feel safer trading it into the store but hey if you can get more for you phone all the power to you! I'm just a wimp about it lol

severe
Jun 22, 2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah I thought about that... But I'd rather not go through the hassle of craigs list and eBay...

Just a suggestion. Don't blame ya. eBay is a disaster. And Craigs wasn't far off, with all the inquiries and little follow through. I let it go for less than I would have liked, just to be done with it.

Still glad I did.

-aggie-
Jun 22, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm tired of wading through all these posts. I didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone know if the Shack is carrying the 32GB iPhone 4?

NJRonbo
Jun 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
Aggie,

They are supposed to.

However, nobody knows how much stock
Radio Shack is going to receive.

There are those that have reserved phones.
Stock may only cover those. Perhaps there
will be a few extras.

RS is on the low end of the totem pole for
receiving stock of these new phones so I
suspect there will not be many on hand.

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
My local store has received no information or shipment orders as of yet. A few new SKUs generated in the system for accessories but that is it so far.

As soon as I hear from my friend I will post updates.

Still don't have much faith though...

NJRonbo
Jun 22, 2010, 09:05 AM
ugp,

Were there any PINS given in your store?

Please keep us updated. We look forward to it.

Thanks

Dark K
Jun 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
That is just ridicoulous, what, shipment will come the 23rd on midnight? If they tell you "come Thursday", that probably means that we won't get any, if Radioshack has indeed not receive any info, that means that selected stores will get the pre-orders plus some others.

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
ugp,

Were there any PINS given in your store?

Please keep us updated. We look forward to it.

Thanks

Yes I was. Mine was the first one generated in the district so my buddy was told by his DM. He closed my ticket out as soon as the clock struck 1PM EST here.

Just got word. My buddy was just updated that he would not be allowed nor any other store is going to be authorized to open early due to the restricted Inventory levels. Radio Shack does not want to give the wrong image of the need to open early with such low levels of product at launch.

He has not received any info on how much product he would get but the memo hinted at that there would be no extra phones sent to store to the amount of reserves they had.

mcgillmaine
Jun 22, 2010, 10:32 AM
I just got off the phone with a radio shack in the area I live in (Raleigh-Durham, NC). The guy (Alex) seemed to be well informed on what's going to happen in the next few days. This is a sum of what was told to me.

Our area sent out 251 pin request (or something like that). And only got back 96. Which leaves each store at about 3-5 phones. So he went on and talked about the "pre order" list that didn't really mean you would have one on the 24h and said it's about a 1-50 chance most people will get there phone on Thursday. Not good news for me. I hope this can help!!

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 11:50 AM
My district here received their phones today...

Out of 68 PINs generated, only 11 phones were sent. Only to 4 stores and one of the stores that received the most phones did not even generate P any PINs. System was screwed up like I thought it would be with Radio Shack.

Out of the 11 phones 10 are 16GB and 1 32GB. The store that generated the most PINs did not receive any phones at all.

Anyone shocked... I know I am not being I worked for Radio Shack for 7 years.

mcgillmaine
Jun 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info ugp.....Is there anyway you can check other stores to see what they got in stock?

Also what area do you live in? And why do you think Apple sent out so little to your area? Because Raleigh-Durham is a decent size (maybe 7-10 stores) but we also have two Apple stores. So maybe Apple is taking that into consideration with allotted units to Radio Shack. IDK just an idea.

Thanks again for your help! Good luck on the 24th!

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 12:23 PM
I am in Inverness, FL.

I have 3 stores in my County and only 2 of them received phones. The store I reserved mine at did not get any. But they issued the most PINs.

Citrus County and North is my District area.

As I am not an employee there anymore I cannot check stock myself.
I will see if my buddy can pull a Regional View and Print it out.

EDIT:
The Region (Region 2) is getting 139. Every District is getting phones. Lowests being 4 and the highest being 29.

ALSO Note, This is what Stores are receiving right now. There is no word until tonight if more will be coming in tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.
The Region consists of all of Florida and Georgia.

Brandon4692
Jun 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
Do these stores you guys are talking about actually have the iPhone in stock already?!?! Cause I just called the two closest ones near me and they still aren't sure if they will receive any for thursday

myemosoul
Jun 22, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm afraid i have more bad news to throw into the fire.
I live in New Jersey and I called my local Radio Shack (where i was the only person to get a PIN on pre-order day) and the manager told me his district is only getting 4 iPhones and there's 19 stores in the district so my chances of getting one on Thursday are very, very slim.
I have decided to camp out at the Apple store starting 10pm tomorrow night and i'm sure i will have a much better chance of getting one that way.
I will use my $184 gift card i got from trading in my 3GS to buy a vcr/dvd recorder and i will make it a point to never shop at a Radio Shack again, which from what i read the other day won't be long because they're rumored to be out of business by 2011.

NJRonbo
Jun 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
myemosoul,

What district/area is this?

I am in central NJ and counting on some
stores around here to get a few...hopefully.

Dark K
Jun 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Nevermind my previous post, I just pass by my local Radioshack, and I think that every Radioshack will be getting the iPhones, why? I do not live in the states, I live in Puerto Rico, and by that being said, one of the sellers told me that they already receive the phones, just like Walmart, he even told me that the store has 8 (6 16GB black and 2 32GB black) iPhone 4s. Now is just a matter of time and wait.

myemosoul
Jun 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ronbo,
I am in Southwest NJ by Philadelphia, Gloucester county.

tanbo
Jun 22, 2010, 05:40 PM
According to Radio Shack, the full, non-contract price, for the iPhone 4 will be $649.99 for the 16GB and $749.99 for the 32GB.

Seems pretty high to me.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150207691250542

NJRonbo
Jun 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
Whaaaat?

Is this a case where Radio Shack is charging
$50 more than Apple just because they can?

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 06:53 PM
Do these stores you guys are talking about actually have the iPhone in stock already?!?! Cause I just called the two closest ones near me and they still aren't sure if they will receive any for thursday

Yes Brandon they received them in store today. My buddy was able to grab two from the local store that did not generate any PINs so I will be getting mine Thursday morning now. Radio Shack is also giving $20 Gift Cards to use towards accessories at the time of purchase in this area.

Brandon4692
Jun 22, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yes Brandon they received them in store today. My buddy was able to grab two from the local store that did not generate any PINs so I will be getting mine Thursday morning now. Radio Shack is also giving $20 Gift Cards to use towards accessories at the time of purchase in this area.

Ugh! Lucky!! I think I'm going to just keep calling my local radioshacks and head to one at least an hour before they open on Thursday!

rangrbob
Jun 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
The Radio Shack in my city just received their pre-order shipment. They got 2. They had a total of 6 pre-orders.

ugp
Jun 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
Ugh! Lucky!! I think I'm going to just keep calling my local radioshacks and head to one at least an hour before they open on Thursday!

Well being Best Friends has it's advantages. And his DM is actually pretty cool. The store that received 5 of them that he is getting the 2 from, they are all idiots in that store. The Manager is literally Cross-Eyed, Employees don't even greet you when you walk in and are not very knowledgable. It's a shame too because I use to work at that store for several years. Received many trophies for sales. Including this one...

http://i48.tinypic.com/24fjhvm.jpg

What's really sad is that it's a Mall store. Use to be a Million Dollar plus store. Now it has dropped well below that. Although it was back in the day when they actually cared about their employees. They have such a high turn over rate anymore. I had quit because I got tired of the DM (Different DM then) threatening us with our jobs everyday during Golden Quarter. I left my keys on the desk and never returned along with a few others Managers at the time.

DEE9299
Jun 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
this radio shack thing is driving me crazy...... hope my phone comes in to the store tomorrow

rangrbob
Jun 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well being Best Friends has it's advantages. And his DM is actually pretty cool. The store that received 5 of them that he is getting the 2 from, they are all idiots in that store. The Manager is literally Cross-Eyed, Employees don't even greet you when you walk in and are not very knowledgable. It's a shame too because I use to work at that store for several years. Received many trophies for sales. Including this one...

http://i48.tinypic.com/24fjhvm.jpg

What's really sad is that it's a Mall store. Use to be a Million Dollar plus store. Now it has dropped well below that. Although it was back in the day when they actually cared about their employees. They have such a high turn over rate anymore. I had quit because I got tired of the DM (Different DM then) threatening us with our jobs everyday during Golden Quarter. I left my keys on the desk and never returned along with a few others Managers at the time.

They stopped handing out awards and plaques to their employees and stores, but they are still happy to threaten your job.

mcgillmaine
Jun 23, 2010, 07:46 AM
NC RS's know nothing. Maybe today will be different when I call. We have 3 stores selling the phone out of maybe 10. I talked to one and he told me that what ever they get will be on 1st come bases.

So I'm not sure if my best bet is just to camp out at the apple store from which I hear will be getting a lot for "walk ins".

Also i'm trying to buy two phones so if ugp is right about most stores getting 3-5. I'm sure if any pre orders are wrote down at those stores, My chances are slim to none.

DEE9299
Jun 23, 2010, 08:14 AM
has anyone gotten a phone call from radio shack yet.?

udontsurf9
Jun 23, 2010, 09:02 AM
got my call here in houston, tx. They said it'll be ready at 8:30 Thursday morning

ugp
Jun 23, 2010, 09:05 AM
NC RS's know nothing. Maybe today will be different when I call. We have 3 stores selling the phone out of maybe 10. I talked to one and he told me that what ever they get will be on 1st come bases.

So I'm not sure if my best bet is just to camp out at the apple store from which I hear will be getting a lot for "walk ins".

Also i'm trying to buy two phones so if ugp is right about most stores getting 3-5. I'm sure if any pre orders are wrote down at those stores, My chances are slim to none.

Here the stores were told one per person.

GermanSuplex
Jun 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
I've gotten no calls at all. I called twice yestereday (with the intent of talking to two different employees).

The first one said that they expect to be able to fulfill reservations (I was told last week I was the only one who reserved at that store), the second employee only told me "I haven't heard a thing."

NJRonbo
Jun 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
My name is on a list at one of the busier Central
Jersey stores (Monmouth Mall) but I am being told
that they aren't getting any phones on launch day.

So, if THAT store isn't getting any I don't hold much
hope for a lot of these others.

ugp
Jun 23, 2010, 12:41 PM
If the whole Region down here for Florida only got 139 I doubt Radio Shack got many iPhone 4s at all. Either that or all of them went to the huge Markets like New York and other areas like such.

mcgillmaine
Jun 23, 2010, 01:48 PM
Now the two stores that were getting phones are saying they haven't got any in yet. so i'm going to pass on RS. Maybe i'll just trade my old phone for a case or something else.

myemosoul
Jun 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
I confirmed today that my store will not have any for release day tomorrow, i got the district managers phone number and left a message about wanting my 184 dollar gift card put on my debit card instead due to false advertising that they would be doing Pre-orders instead of reservations which led me to believe that i would get a phone on release day, as a result i am forced to go camp out at the apple store overnight in 91 degree heat in a few hours with my fingers crossed that i get one. All of this could have been avoided if they didn't post on their twitter on June 9th that they were taking part in release day.

NJRonbo
Jun 23, 2010, 02:37 PM
Let's be frank...

Whether totally Radio Shack's fault or
not this was a very sloppy launch for the
company.

Quite frankly, I think they were just given
the ******** end of the stick by Apple who
obviously is throwing them whatever leftovers
they have which now must be distributed
across all their stores.

I'm stuck. This phone is costing me $650
and I will not spend that kind of money without
getting $200 off on my trade-in. So I am
sitting here just waiting it out. It may work
out well for me because I may luck out on a
White iPhone by the time my store gets stock.

mpolda
Jun 23, 2010, 02:38 PM
I just got a call from the manager of the Radio Shack I placed my preorder at. Even though I was first in line I'm being told I won't be getting my phone tomorrow. They screwed up the sku's and oversold the phones. This is a company-wide problem. He couldn't tell me when I'd be receiving it. I called the district manager and they're looking into it, but didn't have any additional info.

GermanSuplex
Jun 23, 2010, 03:38 PM
Same story here: I got the call today that despite being the first and only one on the reservation list at my store, they will not have any iPhones tomorrow.

I'm not surprised, but yeah... Radio Shack shouldn't have even bothered announcing anything.

ugp
Jun 23, 2010, 05:13 PM
I confirmed today that my store will not have any for release day tomorrow, i got the district managers phone number and left a message about wanting my 184 dollar gift card put on my debit card instead due to false advertising that they would be doing Pre-orders instead of reservations which led me to believe that i would get a phone on release day, as a result i am forced to go camp out at the apple store overnight in 91 degree heat in a few hours with my fingers crossed that i get one. All of this could have been avoided if they didn't post on their twitter on June 9th that they were taking part in release day.

Good luck with that one as that is not going to happen. They did not advertise Pre-Orders. They said reserves only. They told no money from you nor did they hold credit card information on file like Apple does.

NJRonbo
Jun 23, 2010, 05:32 PM
Good luck with that one as that is not going to happen. They did not advertise Pre-Orders. They said reserves only. They told no money from you nor did they hold credit card information on file like Apple does.

No...

...but what they did do was waste people's time.

How can you ask customers to stand in line last
week -- in my case (and certainly others) arriving
to the store early to be first in line and then wait
an additional 90 minutes for the store to attempt
to generate a PIN --- and be told that none of
what you just did will guarantee you a phone?

Imagine only 9,000 pins available and every Radio
Shack Store online at the same time trying to get
one for their customers on line. It's like a
Beatles Reunion concert going on sale nationwide
through Ticketmaster and everyone is trying to get
their ticket at the same time.

All the inconvenience and wasted time that RS
put their customers through last week all in the
name of asking for a phone that is not officially
being called a "preorder."

Now, all those people that stood in line and
had to go through the hassle of wasting their
afternoon to not officially preorder an iPhone
aren't seemingly going to get one at all.

Radio Shack really screwed this one up.

At least people who lined up at AT&T to
preorder a phone weren't told that they
were doing so just to gauge a number of
requests and none of them would be
guaranteed a phone.

It's really sad that all of us that spent
an hour, two or three in the stores last
week did it all for naught.