PDA

View Full Version : Ready to flash my XFX 4890 ZSFC v1.6. Is bootcd the only way?

Morisato
Jun 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
I got my card today and it's a v1.6. I read a Cindori post dated May 7th that the 1.6 is not compatible with Zeus. Is this still true? Does that mean bootcd is the only way to go? Is there a way to go through the bootcd method WITHOUT having windows, because I don't have windows. I know bootcd goes through DOS and DOS works on Mac Pro without having windows installed, but in order to create the bootcd, you need to have windows which is a bummer for me.

vizfxman
Jun 9, 2010, 12:56 PM
I am definitely no expert on this, but can't you create a bootcd such as ultimate boot cd (http://ultimatebootcd.com/) without using Windows?

Morisato
Jun 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
I am definitely no expert on this, but can't you create a bootcd such as ultimate boot cd (http://ultimatebootcd.com/) without using Windows?

I tried UBCD but I can't edit it to add ATIFlash or any other files. Opening the ISO is read only and creating a new one inside of OSX makes a non-bootable disc. I have windows in parallels so I was able to create a boot disc after many many new coasters, but in the end I couldn't get the ATIFlash files to show up in DOS. What a waste of a day.

vizfxman
Jun 9, 2010, 05:16 PM
Did you extract the ubcd, add your atiflash and ROM into a folder and then rebuild the .iso?

I know the feeling about coasters and wasting a day. Flashing my 4870 was an absolute nightmare for me.

Morisato
Jun 9, 2010, 06:49 PM
Did you extract the ubcd, add your atiflash and ROM into a folder and then rebuild the .iso?

I know the feeling about coasters and wasting a day. Flashing my 4870 was an absolute nightmare for me.

Yeah, I tried rebuilding the ISO but it would end up being unbootable. It would go to the black with text like DOS but at the end of all the reading and text lines it would give me an error like it can't find DOS and it needs to boot from HD and freeze or it would ask to insert disk or something weird.

I wouldn't mind the waste of a day if it wasn't for the fact that I'm in a middle of a project that's due on the 15th and I was unable to use my computer because I was trying to upgrade my card that I thought would take all of 10 minutes but instead lasted like 8 hours lol.

dbculp
Jun 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
Did you try the NATIT option using Zeus, so you can boot the card without flashing it? If that doesn't work I'd try backing up (dumping) the ROM and then flashing with Zeus using the ZDFC Mac ROM. If it doesn't work you can alwaysput the original ROM back and then try the ROM editing tips to mod your own, or and post the dumped ROM here to see if someone will mod it for you.

Morisato
Jun 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
Did you try the NATIT option using Zeus, so you can boot the card without flashing it? If that doesn't work I'd try backing up (dumping) the ROM and then flashing with Zeus using the ZDFC Mac ROM. If it doesn't work you can alwaysput the original ROM back and then try the ROM editing tips to mod your own, or and post the dumped ROM here to see if someone will mod it for you.

Not sure what the NATIT option is but Zeus isn't compatible with this card. So unless the NATIT is a different way Zeus does stuff, I'm guessing it wont work.

vizfxman
Jun 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
Morisato, I take it you haven't resolved this yet.

Here's a link (http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.php?title=Tutorials:Remastering#Remastering_the_ISO) I was given on another forum. I followed it and was able to make a bootcd and flash my graphics card.

The only addition I made to the steps they list is put a folder called "Mac" in the extracted ubcd folder which contained atiflash, dpmi, and the ROM.

Hope this helps.

666sheep
Jun 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Why bother with UBCD, especially if it don't "wants" to work?

My way: http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html - Win Me + small SATA HDD formatted to with MBR partition map w. MS DOS filesystem (Win Bootcamp partition is also usable, but OP hasn't one).

Put atiflash and ROM on HDD. Boot from WinMe CD, run atiflash from HDD, dump PC ROM from card (for backup or creating your own hybrid ROM if will be needed). Flash the card, if you got suitable ROM already.
Done.