PDA

View Full Version : Dell targets iPod mini

MacBytes
Oct 15, 2004, 05:18 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Dell targets iPod mini (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041015181809)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Macmaniac
Oct 15, 2004, 05:22 PM
Wow in true Dell stroke of innovation they have made something truly original. I hope you can smell my sarcasm. What a blatant rip-off! On one hand though I think Apple should update the mini, and drop the price a wee bit.

polyesterlester
Oct 15, 2004, 06:39 PM
Dell totally doesn't get the point. What makes the iPod mini popular is not the storage capacity but the sex-appeal of the object. The Pocket DJ is totally lacking. Just because it's a little cheaper and holds a little more music, doesn't matter much. It's ugly, and that's the first thing consumers will notice.

The iPod mini is still safe (although I agree that it would be nice if the price came down. If they sold the 4 gig for the same price as Dell's 5 gig, it would be perfect).

Dr. Dastardly
Oct 15, 2004, 06:43 PM
Dell totally doesn't get the point. What makes the iPod mini popular is not the storage capacity but the sex-appeal of the object. The Pocket DJ is totally lacking. Just because it's a little cheaper and holds a little more music, doesn't matter much. It's ugly, and that's the first thing consumers will notice.

The iPod mini is still safe (although I agree that it would be nice if the price came down. If they sold the 4 gig for the same price as Dell's 5 gig, it would be perfect).
Exactly! You would think that Someone from Dell would have figured that out. Do they really think that the mini is selling so well because its $50 ceaper and a little smaller than the regular iPod? For an extra $50 I can get 15 gig more. :rolleyes:

Doga
Oct 15, 2004, 07:03 PM
The iPod is a pearl.

The Dell DJ is a booger.

zelmo
Oct 15, 2004, 07:09 PM
Imagine your Mom and Dad going out to shop for Xmas. They see the iPod mini for $249, and this Dell POS for $200, with 25% more capacity. This thing will probably sell okay.

Now imagine your face when you open up that gift and see this ugly @$$ player. Keep smiling and thank them politely, but make sure you pick your moment to ask later if they saved the receipt.
That $50 you got from Grandma is gonna come in handy.

Dell really doesn't have a clue what makes the mini popular.

redAPPLE
Oct 16, 2004, 12:49 AM
because dell couldn't beat up the big brother, they run after and try to beat up the little brother...

there is a lesson here folks, dell is a bully.

Abstract
Oct 16, 2004, 02:01 AM
Wow in true Dell stroke of innovation they have made something truly original. I hope you can smell my sarcasm. What a blatant rip-off!

How is this a ripoff? Dell made a smaller player. It's not a ripoff. Its like saying Sony ripped off Apple because they made a cool looking laptop that's 1" thick. Well, everyone tries to make their laptops thin and elegant. Dell just wanted to offer something smaller in size and capacity for those who don't need the big player, and I really don't think it's a ripoff in design or anything.

Mainyehc
Oct 16, 2004, 12:36 PM
Dell just wanted to offer something smaller in size and capacity for those who don't need the big player, and I really don't think it's a ripoff in design or anything.
Yes, it's true this thing is not an exact copy of the mini... But take a second look at it... Rounded side edges, sharp top and bottom edges, aluminium-like case... hmmmmm, I smell a ripoff ;)

Blue Velvet
Oct 16, 2004, 12:58 PM
How is this a ripoff? Dell made a smaller player. It's not a ripoff. Its like saying Sony ripped off Apple because they made a cool looking laptop that's 1" thick. Well, everyone tries to make their laptops thin and elegant. Dell just wanted to offer something smaller in size and capacity for those who don't need the big player, and I really don't think it's a ripoff in design or anything.

I agree, sort of.

The way some people go on around here it's like Apple actually invented the hard-drive based music player.

Howver, what IS happening is a certain imitation of style... which is flattery really. After all, have you seen the Virgin one? Now, that is ugly.

montex
Oct 16, 2004, 09:25 PM
Ok guys, at least admit that it's an improvement on the bigger DJ. It's not a terrible knock-off and it is exactly what I expect from Dell. Granted, they're firmly stuck in last century's design paradigm and they're incapable of making something innovative. But they do try.

Now that I've got that out of the way... Look! Another Turd-Tastic player from Dell! :p

tech4all
Oct 17, 2004, 05:31 PM
The iPod is a pearl.

The Dell DJ is a booger.

Interesting comparision.... :D