Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenfused

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Did anyone else notice that Steve said that they would ship "millions of facetime devices" in 2010. He didn't say "millions of iphone 4s"

I bet the ipod touch 4th gen has the camera and facetime too!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Did anyone else notice that Steve said that they would ship "millions of facetime devices" in 2010. He didn't say "millions of iphone 4s"

I bet the ipod touch 4th gen has the camera and facetime too!

I would say iPad first over iPod Touch.. Just my opinion. Also Macs as well. So far the facetime is on available if you are on an actually phone call with someone, then you can switch it over.

I just seem them investing that in the iPad before iPod Touch, considering iPad at least has 3G connectivity, and in 2011 that may be supported by AT&T

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You don't need the iPad's 3G for FaceTime. I doubt there will be a new model just months after the first model. I also doubt the iPod touch will have more than one camera. So maybe just a video call VGA camera and not a regular camera on the back? That would seem kind of dumb.

mjcorbitt

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
i noticed that too and since you can only do FaceTime over wifi i think it is possible...i could see it going on the ipod touch and ipad...a front facing camera would also allow video Skype calls

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
it don't make sense to add facetime since that would kill the iphone 4. They'll add the A4 chip, same camera/flash as new iphone, and same screen resolution as the iphone 4 for the simple reason that its cheaper to order all those items in bulk for the same 2 devices then having separate supply chains for the phone and touch.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
NO feature on a Touch has ever killed the iPhone. Two distinct markets. You can already use Skype w/video on the Touch. No threat to iPhone sales yet.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
"Millions of FaceTime devices in 2010"

So from Now til December these are the only possibilities:

iPad: No because it was released in April. Apple will wait at least a year before an upgrade like that.

iPod Nano: Maaaaybe but it would have to have wifi in order to work and then the whole device just gets cluttered for its size.

iPod Touch: This is our best bet. They ship/sell millions every year and this device already has wifi built in. By September (when iPods are released) iPhone 4 users will already be comfortable with making FaceTime calls over wifi which basically puts iPod Touches in an easy position to be added to.

instep

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Belgium
"Millions of FaceTime devices in 2010"+

@Andrew K., maybe you can add Macs and Macbooks to your list.

rattydog

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
He didn't say "millions"

He actually said "10's of millions FaceTime devices in 2010". (01:33:44 into the Keynote address)

I wondered the same thing. There is something awaiting us for September...

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
He actually said "10's of millions FaceTime devices in 2010". (01:33:44 into the Keynote address)

I wondered the same thing. There is something awaiting us for September...

iPod touches will replace Mac Pros and minis in the Apple product line. ;)

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
it's coming

think of all the highschool kids who can't afford an iphone but can afford a touch. it's not the device that costs money but rather the contract. this will allow them to video chat remotely which is super cool. it's almost as good as having a phone.

wait till they start live video phonesexting each other. LMAO.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I think the touch will come first after the iPhone 4. Apple will of course make it even better to connect than we could think, with no buddy lists or accounts. Somehow.
The iPad will probably come next year.

gheat93

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
San Francisco
I think this is quite likely. It makes sense, considering FaceTime is only compatible with the iPhone 4 as of now, which doesn't seem to give it enough of a user base...

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Facetime adds video to regular phone calls. How could that be possible on the iPod Touch?

I'm guessing there'd be a native FaceTime app, only functional over wifi.

Steve said FaceTime will only work this year with WiFi and that they had to work out things with the cell phone carriers, but what would they really hVe to work out? It'll only work with wifi because they want to see what it will be like with the new iPod Touch's as well.

The iPad didn't have the camera for marketing reasons. Face Time is supposed to be the killer app on the iPhone 4, and if they had already introduced that 5 months ago, the iPhone wouldn't be as "revolutionary".

EDIT: And he said 10s of millions of FaceTime devices, and frankly, there won't be 10s of millions of iPhone 4's shipped this year. It has to be Face Time capability with the 4G Touch, and some kind of compatability with iChat on Mac's.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Or maybe Steve Jobs knows more than he's letting on about some 3rd party manufacturers who might already be in the midst of working on implementing their own FaceTime-compatible devices... Remember, Apple claims to have submitted it for acceptance as an open standard.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I'm guessing there'd be a native FaceTime app, only functional over wifi.

Steve said FaceTime will only work this year with WiFi and that they had to work out things with the cell phone carriers, but what would they really hVe to work out? It'll only work with wifi because they want to see what it will be like with the new iPod Touch's as well.

The iPad didn't have the camera for marketing reasons. Face Time is supposed to be the killer app on the iPhone 4, and if they had already introduced that 5 months ago, the iPhone wouldn't be as "revolutionary".

EDIT: And he said 10s of millions of FaceTime devices, and frankly, there won't be 10s of millions of iPhone 4's shipped this year. It has to be Face Time capability with the 4G Touch, and some kind of compatability with iChat on Mac's.

I may be wrong but the way i understood FaceTime is that you place a call and if the transmitter and receiver are both connected to the internet via a wifi network you can switch over to FaceTime. So essentially you are still paying the rate for a phone call and still need a data carrier.

If it is that way where you have to pay for the call then i cant see the 4G ipod touch getting FaceTime though i can see it on the ipad. Only if its a free service i.e video chat (which i doubt) can i see it being on the ipod touch.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
If Apple wants to put their full force behind FaceTime they need to include it everything they ship (similar to how they pushed the built-in iSight). That includes Macs via iChat, the upcoming Apple TV revision, iPod touch and iPad.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Except cpu speed for quite a period of time ;)

I think you're using "killed" in a different sense than 4DThinker was. You seem to be using "killed" in terms of a clear front runner in a spec-for-spec comparison of one particular feature.

4DThinker, on the other hand, seems to be thinking of "killed" in terms of a large base of customers who would have purchased an iPhone, but decided against it mainly because they saw in the iPod touch as a more desirable competitor.

gmaster456

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Michigan
I agree

I agree that the iPod touch will get Facetime as well as iPad and macs. The iPod touch should get it in its refresh the Fall and the iPad next spring. No telling when the desktops and laptops will get it though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.