PDA

View Full Version : G5 power switch inoperable with La Cie d2

maczyz
Jun 9, 2010, 06:07 AM
The power on switch of the G5 is dead. I thought I had a PCU failure and took it to the shop where it worked faultlessly. Took it home, plugged it in with a printer and external drive attached and same problem. Unplugged all the peripherals and it starts like in the shop. Whenever the La Cie d2 is plugged in the power switch is dead and the G5 won't go. Once it's running plugging in the drive is OK and it backs up fine. All the software is up to date and I'm running Leopard. What do I do?

ClassicII
Jun 9, 2010, 09:21 AM
The La Cie d2 is firewire right? If so it draws power from the power supply. I have seen weak power supplies do things like that. Maybe it does not have enough power to fire up but is fine after its running.

Does it do the same thing with the front ports and the back ports?

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 09:24 AM
The La Cie d2 is firewire right? If so it draws power from the power supply. I have seen weak power supplies do things like that. Maybe it does not have enough power to fire up but is fine after its running.

Does it do the same thing with the front ports and the back ports?

This is very true. I once had the same issue with a FW drive about 2 years ago.

maczyz
Jun 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
It does the same on both ports and it doesn't make any difference if the drive is switched on or off when its plugged in. I have access to another firewire cable so I'll try that. There does seem to be a lot of bad stuff out there about La Cie drives but I've run this one for 5 years with no trouble.

ClassicII
Jun 9, 2010, 08:57 PM
Agreed try that other cable. Do you have any other firewire devices that you can test? Did this just start happening?