Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
In the top left quadrant of my screen, I have what appears to be a white spot, the sort that plagued Rev A Powerbooks. It's most noticeable on a light grey background -- in particular, the grey left border of Macrumors threads (thanks a lot, Macrumors :mad: :p ;)).

It looks like there may also be a white spot forming in the middle of the screen, though this is not as "bright" as the one in the top left area.

Though I have a Rev C, I checked out
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/
anyway, just to see if my white spots matched up. The middle one does, but not the on the top left side.

So anyway, I was wondering -- has anyone else had white spot issues with Rev C Powerbooks? Are white spots something that just happens? Might I have done something to cause the white spots? :(

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I don't believe that there are any known white spots problems past Rev. A. And none with any other than the 15". If you have a revision C then you must have a 12" or 17". This may be why you aren't getting any hits here.

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
You're Not Alone!

I have a 15 inch 1.33 GHz Rev C PB, and it has the central white spots that are pictured on the apple website about the extended repair. I've not done anything yet about seeing if they will fix the problem, despite the fact that my computer is not one of the ones they say they will fix. I'm waiting until I'm done with exams and maybe until the Apple Store in Toronto opens, then I'll go in in person and show them the problem.

Keep us posted if you do contact Apple - I definitely want to know what they have to say!

(I just tried taking pictures of the screen to post, but they didn't come out very well)

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I have a rev a 12" PB and no white spots....but I do have a blue spot almost in the middle of my computer screen. The good thing is, you only see it on a completly black background pretty much. Anything white/silver/yellow or any other bright color you can't even tell. To tell you the truth, I always for get its there until I watch a movie on it or something. Been that way since I bought it almost 2 years ago.

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
they fixed min

i am not sure what rev my pb will be but i have a 1.5Ghz 15in alubook, so its the rev before the current one.

anyway, it started to develop a white spot on the lower left of the screen, and it took it to the apple store. they send it off and i got a new scree :)

so they do take care of them

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
fradac said:
i am not sure what rev my pb will be but i have a 1.5Ghz 15in alubook, so its the rev before the current one.
The 1.5GHz 15" PowerBooks are rev. b.
Its confusing because the 15" alu PB's are one revision behind the 12 and 17" PB's. ;)

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
My Mistake

solaris said:
The 1.5GHz 15" PowerBooks are rev. b.
Its confusing because the 15" alu PB's are one revision behind the 12 and 17" PB's. ;)

If the 15 inchers are 1 rev behind, then the one I mention above is a Rev B. Glad to hear Apple took care of you. I guess I'll deal with mine next week, when exams are over.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
dotnina said:
In the top left quadrant of my screen, I have what appears to be a white spot, the sort that plagued Rev A Powerbooks. It's most noticeable on a light grey background -- in particular, the grey left border of Macrumors threads (thanks a lot, Macrumors :mad: :p ;)).

It looks like there may also be a white spot forming in the middle of the screen, though this is not as "bright" as the one in the top left area.

Though I have a Rev C, I checked out
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/
anyway, just to see if my white spots matched up. The middle one does, but not the on the top left side.

So anyway, I was wondering -- has anyone else had white spot issues with Rev C Powerbooks? Are white spots something that just happens? Might I have done something to cause the white spots? :(

I have this problem on my rev C 17" PB. I have 2 of them, and Apple is aware of the problem and will fix it under my warranty. However, I cancelled the airbill because the other issue with my laptop stopped being an issue and I can't be without it because it's my main computer for work and school. I kept their box and might fix it later on when I can afford to be without the machine.

The guy at Apple told me they'd fix it as long as Applecare was valid, so he said just call them if it gets worse then.

Steven

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
My Rev. C has a white spot... found it while using Pixel Checker linkety.

12" PowerBook. I might talk with 'em, but I may not-- the PowerBook IS my main computer and I can't really be without it. Maybe when AppleCare starts to run low in a coupla years.

tobio

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
London
I have a 1.5Ghz 15" PB with very noticable white spots, and apple told me they wont fix it under warranty, but they will fix it if I take out applecare.

Now I thought applecare was just a three year version of the warranty and support that comes with the computer in the first place, so I am confused by that one... I definatley feel as though apple are taking liberties with my consumer rights here.

Anyway, my rev-c (or b) powerbook same as yours also has white spots.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who got thiers fixed who was out of the serial number range, and wether you had applecare extended warranty or not...

I will also likely start a poll or seperate topic on the subject unless I find an existing one around somewhere.

best of luck getting yours fixed, dont give up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.