PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle, UK

Banana Pancakes
Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
This is my first post even though I've been browsing Macrumors for ages :o

Just wondering if anyone is planning to queue for the iPhone 4 at the Apple store in Newcastle?

I've done a few launches in Northern Ireland but since moving to the North East, I haven't quite managed to convince anyone to come along with me!

I could just order it online but where's the fun in that? Queueing is half the fun!

I notice that the other UK threads are pretty empty so I'm not expecting much but shout loudly if you intend to be there!

anthdci
Jun 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
:eek: im shocked there is another member from the north east.

i work at newcastle university, i was planning to get mine from the o2 shop in the city centre until i realised its released in the middle of my 2 week leave so ill be getting it from my local o2 store in sunderland instead.

But from all the emails going round between the apple lovers at work i very much doubt youll be alone.

Banana Pancakes
Jun 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
:eek: im shocked there is another member from the north east.

i work at newcastle university, i was planning to get mine from the o2 shop in the city centre until i realised its released in the middle of my 2 week leave so ill be getting it from my local o2 store in sunderland instead.

But from all the emails going round between the apple lovers at work i very much doubt youll be alone.

Fab! That's good to hear!

I was torn between O2 and Apple but tbh, it might be sad but I do get a bit of a buzz walking out of the store with my white Apple bag! HA!

I'm actually in Middlesbrough btw but who really wants to queue outside anywhere in the dark in Middlesbrough?! :rolleyes:

Caris
Jun 11, 2010, 10:26 AM
You might just see me.

Red Bull
Jun 14, 2010, 04:29 AM
I might be there...

I can't decide whether to visit O2 in Darlington like I have the past three launch days (as there's only ever been 10 people max outside at 9am, and the queue never starts before 8.30!) or whether to go all out and go to the new Apple store in Eldon Square.

I probably will go to Apple for a change :)

Banana Pancakes
Jun 14, 2010, 06:43 AM
You might just see me.

Were you there for the iPad launch?

I've only visited the store once (it's a little trek for me tbh) but from what I can remember, it's under cover. Will they allow a queue outside the store or will it be outside?

Banana Pancakes
Jun 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
I might be there...

I can't decide whether to visit O2 in Darlington like I have the past three launch days (as there's only ever been 10 people max outside at 9am, and the queue never starts before 8.30!) or whether to go all out and go to the new Apple store in Eldon Square.

I probably will go to Apple for a change :)

Darlington is much closer for me tbh!

But isn't there something about wakling out of the store with the white Apple bag?! :p

We're all a bit looney really :D

Deano.uk
Jun 14, 2010, 07:26 AM
I'm in Yarm (between Darlo an Boro), think I'm just gonna order the phone through o2 and have it delivered. Would like to go to the apple store though in Eldon Square, but don't think they do upgrades on contract, and can't be bothered :)

Banana Pancakes
Jun 14, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm in Yarm (between Darlo an Boro), think I'm just gonna order the phone through o2 and have it delivered. Would like to go to the apple store though in Eldon Square, but don't think they do upgrades on contract, and can't be bothered :)

Good reasons!!

I must live quite close to you so howdy!

Deano.uk
Jun 14, 2010, 07:51 AM
Good reasons!!

I must live quite close to you so howdy!

Howdy!

Moved up to here from London cos Parmos are amazing!

Normally go to Middlesbrough, or Teesside Park for buying things.

Banana Pancakes
Jun 14, 2010, 08:00 AM
Howdy!

Moved up to here from London cos Parmos are amazing!

Normally go to Middlesbrough, or Teesside Park for buying things.

I do love a good parmo :D

I don't fancy going to the Boro O2 shop at stupid o'clock, have you ever been in town at that hour? :eek:

Oh I don't know what to do!

Deano.uk
Jun 14, 2010, 08:08 AM
I do love a good parmo :D

I don't fancy going to the Boro O2 shop at stupid o'clock, have you ever been in town at that hour? :eek:

Oh I don't know what to do!

Went to the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2 in boro to get it from GAME. wasn't too bad, lots of geeky people qued outside of gamestation and GAME. parked next to mcdonnalds so didn't walk far.

Apart from that, many drunken nights spent in boro

What time does o2 open to launch the iPhone?

Banana Pancakes
Jun 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Went to the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2 in boro to get it from GAME. wasn't too bad, lots of geeky people qued outside of gamestation and GAME. parked next to mcdonnalds so didn't walk far.

Apart from that, many drunken nights spent in boro

What time does o2 open to launch the iPhone?

Ah, that's good to know then! I've had a few, um, dodgy nights/mornings in the centre of Boro when I was a student :rolleyes:

No idea what time they'll be open at but I think it was 8am previously?

Red Bull
Jun 15, 2010, 03:41 AM
With today's store reservations and pre-ordering, is anybody going to be at the Eldon Square store on Thursday?

anthdci
Jun 15, 2010, 03:54 AM
if I was in two minds then with today's apple prices I will most definitely not be buying direct from apple. I am going to wait patiently for O2 to say what they are going to do then get it from their shop in sunderland which will hopefully be quiet

Banana Pancakes
Jun 15, 2010, 04:55 AM
With today's store reservations and pre-ordering, is anybody going to be at the Eldon Square store on Thursday?

Well, I've reserved to pick up at store but I'm still not 100% certain I will. Will have to see what the craic is with upgrades!

Red Bull
Jun 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
I've reserved one :)

I figured I'd rather take the hit in one go and stick with a cheaper tariff than get a cheaper handset and pay 40+ a month.

Deano.uk
Jun 16, 2010, 05:13 AM
if I was in two minds then with today's apple prices I will most definitely not be buying direct from apple. I am going to wait patiently for O2 to say what they are going to do then get it from their shop in sunderland which will hopefully be quiet

Im gonna do the same, either with o2 online or in the middlesbrough store. :o

my faith is running low on getting one on launch... keep twitter searching the prases "o2 iphone", "orange iphone" and "vodafone iphone" and its quite funny to see all existing/potential customers slagging off the companys for keeping them in the dark about iphone avalibility. I know one of them 3 companys were due to take pre-orders from monday, however this was canceled at the 11th hour with no information why... so i think its an apple thing... :(

dino01
Jun 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
hey guys

what time are you guys planning on going to eldon square next thursday???

Red Bull
Jun 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Probably 9-9.30 for me

No way am I getting out of bed early enough to make the 8am opening, plus I'll give it an hour in case there's a bit of a queue to die down :)

dino01
Jun 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
Probably 9-9.30 for me

No way am I getting out of bed early enough to make the 8am opening, plus I'll give it an hour in case there's a bit of a queue to die down :)

do you have yours reserved or are you just going in the hope that they wll have some then

Banana Pancakes
Jun 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm hoping to get there around 7am (have reserved a handset) but tbh, I'm not totally sure where the store is and Im a bit geographically challenged so goodness knows what time I'll actually make it there!

Red Bull
Jun 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
do you have yours reserved or are you just going in the hope that they wll have some then
I reserved mine on Tuesday morning, so I'm hoping they have a shiny 32GB waiting for me!
I'm hoping to get there around 7am (have reserved a handset) but tbh, I'm not totally sure where the store is and Im a bit geographically challenged so goodness knows what time I'll actually make it there!
Park in The Gate down near Chinatown, head out of the main entrance to The Gate and across the road into Debenhams, out of there into the new Eldon Square extension and the Apple Store is on your left-hand side :)

Actually I'm thinking of heading up for 8am now... I don't want to miss out on the fun!

Banana Pancakes
Jun 18, 2010, 05:49 AM
I reserved mine on Tuesday morning, so I'm hoping they have a shiny 32GB waiting for me!

Park in The Gate down near Chinatown, head out of the main entrance to The Gate and across the road into Debenhams, out of there into the new Eldon Square extension and the Apple Store is on your left-hand side :)

Actually I'm thinking of heading up for 8am now... I don't want to miss out on the fun!

Ah ha! Thank you for that... I'm sure I can follow that!

Do you know about getting in at that time? Presumabley the centre won't be open as early

Red Bull
Jun 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
I've cut through Eldon Square before 9am in the past, so I guess you'll be able to get in somewhere for the 8am Apple Store opening. Perhaps not through Debenhams though.

If you look at Debenhams from The Gate, there's a Lau's Chinese restaurant to the left of it - In between the store and the restaurant there's an entrance to the mall :)

Chris3125
Jun 20, 2010, 12:28 PM
I will also be making my way up there on thursday morning :D, was going to go for about nine as i have a reservation but someone at the store told me they had 400 reservations, now i'm thinking if i get up there for about 7:45 i may get away sooner rather than going for 9:00 and queuing, not to bothered about having to get it early I just don't fancy queuing for hours :/

Orbane
Jun 21, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'll be heading up there for around 7:30ish. Hopefully Eldon Square will be open and let us in! I was quite surprised to even see a Newcastle thread tbh. Good to see there's a few of us around :)

BlueWave
Jun 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
I'll be there pretty early as well

dino01
Jun 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'll be there pretty early as well

just outta curiosity how early is EARLY??

Reser
Jun 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
So does anyone know for sure how the launch is working? Store told me they were opening at 8am when i rang a week ago but eldon square states they do not open till 9am so no clue how we get in for the launch...

dino01
Jun 21, 2010, 02:26 PM
So does anyone know for sure how the launch is working? Store told me they were opening at 8am when i rang a week ago but eldon square states they do not open till 9am so no clue how we get in for the launch...

i am going into town tomorrow so i will ask both eldon square and the apple store to see how its going to work

BlueWave
Jun 21, 2010, 06:32 PM
just outta curiosity how early is EARLY??

7 i'm thinking

dino01
Jun 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
7 i'm thinking

cool well im coming in from blyth, so i am prob going to be getting in for about 6.30 ish just thought when you said early you meant like 5.30-6 ish

BlueWave
Jun 21, 2010, 06:44 PM
cool well im coming in from blyth, so i am prob going to be getting in for about 6.30 ish just thought when you said early you meant like 5.30-6 ish

20 minute walk from my flat for me :D

I was considering coming earlier but at the end of the day I'm guessing 7am will be more than early enough to get a decent place in the queue

dino01
Jun 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
20 minute walk from my flat for me :D

I was considering coming earlier but at the end of the day I'm guessing 7am will be more than early enough to get a decent place in the queue
:rolleyes: lucky for some i have to get a 5.3 bus just to get in to town early enough to get a decnt space in the queue. :( :apple:

flatspikes
Jun 22, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'm aiming to be down there for a little after 7 as I've not managed to reserve one and the staff said they would be very limited on non reserved stock... Just got to hope they have enough.

They said for the iPad launch Eldon Square opened an hour early I guess the door by the new tesco is the one yo use? Anyone got any ideas on the number of people who turn up to these lanch events?

Oh and is there anyone else like me who'll be having to chop their sim card down as tmobile still appear not to have micro sims?

kylejc86
Jun 22, 2010, 08:13 AM
:rolleyes: lucky for some i have to get a 5.3 bus just to get in to town early enough to get a decnt space in the queue. :( :apple:

That is unfortunate luckily for me i live in gateshead and i only have a 10 min walk to get to the apple store i will be getting myself there for 5 as i got to the apple store for the iPad launch at 5.30 and i was 10th in the line hopefully i will be in and out :D:apple:

flatspikes
Jun 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
I can't believe you need to be there so early... Did the q for the iPad stay small until say after seven or was it passed 50 by 6am?

I'm also really curious where you q as the store is sealed away until eldon sq opens at 7??

Reser
Jun 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
I can't believe you need to be there so early... Did the q for the iPad stay small until say after seven or was it passed 50 by 6am?

I'm also really curious where you q as the store is sealed away until eldon sq opens at 7??

Eldon Square actually opens at 9am. Still no clue where to go at 8am or if Eldon Square will also be opening early just for Apple. Will ring Apple store tomorrow

flatspikes
Jun 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
Eldon Square actually opens at 9am. Still no clue where to go at 8am or if Eldon Square will also be opening early just for Apple. Will ring Apple store tomorrow

I spoke to the apple staff at the weekend and they were confident of an early open. They mentioned the centre matching the open time to that of the iPad which was 7am right?

Not sure how the q will work outside the centre... Think I'll aim to get in just before 7am...

BlueWave
Jun 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
I hope the small entrance next to Lau's (mentioned on page 1 I think as well) is open. Aim to be at that entrance for 7

tcextreme
Jun 22, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi all, does anybody have any experience with queuing before 7am? How does it work if Eldon Square itself is not open? Would Apple staff give out numbers or anything? If not, what prevents people from just making a mad dash to the Apple store once the Eldon Square doors open?

My friends and I were thinking of either going at like 1am, or maybe just in the morning at 7-ish. Would there be any benefit at going at a time like 1am?

Just wondering, first time doing any Apple queuing! Cheers!

anthdci
Jun 23, 2010, 03:01 AM
my old boss is planning on picking 2 up from the darlington o2 store. He said he has been in and spoke to the staff and they are expecting 10 handsets in. So for you guys planning on going there you will have to be there early. He is planning on being there at 7.30

Flea24
Jun 23, 2010, 06:36 AM
I've reserved my 16GB SIM-Free one. ill be picking up at the Newcastle store as i work for Northumbria university and im coming in from cramlington.

never done a launch queue before, just preordered stuff but fancied a buzz.

do you rekon the queue will be massive by 9am?

flatspikes
Jun 23, 2010, 06:50 AM
I've reserved my 16GB SIM-Free one. ill be picking up at the Newcastle store as i work for Northumbria university and im coming in from cramlington.

never done a launch queue before, just preordered stuff but fancied a buzz.

do you rekon the queue will be massive by 9am?

I spoke to the apple store this morning and they confirmed eldon square is always open around 7 for staff but couldn't say which entrances would be open.

The store also said 7am should probably be early enough for an unreserved purchase.. I hope the store is right!

I'll get down for 7 but not sure which entrance it will be. Need advice from anyone who was at the iPad launch

guymarble
Jun 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'm planning to get there for about 5:30 (haven't reserved), rang up yesterday to see when Eldon Square would be opening and he said 6!

Just trying to decide which entrance is best to wait at? I'm thinking the one near Lau's but don't know if they would open the bigger main entrances first lol.

Also they will be doing upgrades in store :)

Flea24
Jun 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
Well as I'm reserved I doubt I'll need to get there that early what do you guys think? 9:30?

Red Bull
Jun 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
Well I certainly won't be there before 9am and I've reserved.

Yeah it's a nice phone, but I'm not getting to a shopping centre to buy it at 6am! Way too OTT for me!

Banana Pancakes
Jun 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
Called the store earlier, spoke to a lovely laydee called Sarah :)

Apparently they will open at 7 and the centre will too. I specifically asked if i would need to use a different entrance and she said nope!

Reser
Jun 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ok well, friend tells me there has been people queueing since last night, how exactly does that work? Surely when Eldon Square closes for the night they will get kicked out?

//Edit

Apparently they are queuing at the door near Debenhams... crazy and annoying.

Banana Pancakes
Jun 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
Ok well, friend tells me there has been people queueing since last night, how exactly does that work? Surely when Eldon Square closes for the night they will get kicked out?

//Edit

Apparently they are queuing at the door near Debenhams... crazy and annoying.

Argh!

According to the email, there will be a separate queue for those who have reserved so I'm hoping that's slightly smaller!

kylejc86
Jun 24, 2010, 12:35 AM
In line at apple store they only have phones for people who have a reservations so people without are being told that they can get put on a list and will be called when more become available good thing I have a reservation :)

Reser
Jun 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
Apple has ZERO stock for people who did not reserve.

Edit/ I should refresh more.

I have 2 16gb reservations but just going to get mums as I want a 32gb

flatspikes
Jun 24, 2010, 01:21 AM
Just back from the store a few quid lighter in parking charges but thanks to ZERO stock for non reservers I leave empty handed. Think I'll pop in and reserve one when there isn't a huge q. Didn't quite see the need to hang around for an hour and a half till it opened then goodness knows how long to put my name down...

Coupled with watching the reservers playing with their new toy! Ah well the wait continues...

Reser
Jun 24, 2010, 01:57 AM
Just back from the store a few quid lighter in parking charges but thanks to ZERO stock for non reservers I leave empty handed. Think I'll pop in and reserve one when there isn't a huge q. Didn't quite see the need to hang around for an hour and a half till it opened then goodness knows how long to put my name down...

Coupled with watching the reservers playing with their new toy! Ah well the wait continues...

They opened an hour early and done reservations in the front queue.

Only 1 iPhone 4 per card btw, seems cannot pick up a friends/ families.

anthdci
Jun 24, 2010, 02:50 AM
I'm in queue at sunderland o2 in the bridges, they say they have 3 big boxes and the queue is about 30people and fones4u have been round saying they have loads aswel if anyone in the north east is struggling to get one.

Reser
Jun 24, 2010, 02:58 AM
I'm in queue at sunderland o2 in the bridges, they say they have 3 big boxes and the queue is about 30people and fones4u have been round saying they have loads aswel if anyone in the north east is struggling to get one.

Phones4u is selling them in Newcastle and it's dead. 0 people in it also o2 only had a small queue. Problem is I don't want contract. If more people went to the operator stores for their contracts apple probably would have had enough sim frees . I really think apple needs to stop selling them on contract in uk, let the operators do that, queue took forever cause of people getting contracts.

neilmacd
Jun 24, 2010, 03:56 AM
Was in the queue at the Apple Store from about 5.50am. They let everyone in at 6 ish and unfortunately some people legged it to jump the queue (tut tut).

Store opened at 7am as others have said, main queue was filled straight away, second queue further back filled in minutes.

Got in the store around 7.45am, out at 8.30am. Was panicing as I didn't have photo ID, but they only asked for my debit card, phew! Looks like theres going to be problems upgrading, with o2 upgrades portal dying twice while I was there.

When we left the queue was a fair bit longer, going to be a long day for some.

Oh, and don't take this as gospel but the lad who served me was saying they don't have enough stock to fill reservations, they only found out last night how many units they where getting.

flatspikes
Jun 24, 2010, 04:53 AM
Phones4u is selling them in Newcastle and it's dead. 0 people in it also o2 only had a small queue. Problem is I don't want contract. If more people went to the operator stores for their contracts apple probably would have had enough sim frees . I really think apple needs to stop selling them on contract in uk, let the operators do that, queue took forever cause of people getting contracts.

It really sucks not a single handset was available for anyone who had not reserved, I do wonder if apple are purposely keeping supply tight? Either way they should better inform their stores

BlueWave
Jun 24, 2010, 04:54 AM
Apple has ZERO stock for people who did not reserve.

Edit/ I should refresh more.

I have 2 16gb reservations but just going to get mums as I want a 32gb

I was behind you in the queue

Banana Pancakes
Jun 24, 2010, 05:46 AM
Oh, and don't take this as gospel but the lad who served me was saying they don't have enough stock to fill reservations, they only found out last night how many units they where getting.

I *really* hope you're wrong!! I joined the queue around 6:30am, left the store around 9am - iPhone in hand.

OH has to go back later to pick one up, ARGH!

Red Bull
Jun 24, 2010, 06:07 AM
I was at there for about 7.10am and left about 9.45.

Walked to the O2 store just further up in Eldon Square and was told if I needed a Micro SIM I still had to join a queue of about 50 people! I told him I'd go elsewhere and tried the the O2 Store on Northumberland Street instead and walked straight in and back out with a new SIM :)

Both SIM's are sat with 'No Service' at the moment though while I want for the service to move to the Micro SIM :(

Banana Pancakes
Jun 24, 2010, 07:04 AM
I was at there for about 7.10am and left about 9.45.

Walked to the O2 store just further up in Eldon Square and was told if I needed a Micro SIM I still had to join a queue of about 50 people! I told him I'd go elsewhere and tried the the O2 Store on Northumberland Street instead and walked straight in and back out with a new SIM :)

Both SIM's are sat with 'No Service' at the moment though while I want for the service to move to the Micro SIM :(

Stupid question but have you switched the new phone off and on again?

My current phone lost signal but the new one still said 'no service'. Switched it off, turned it on again and it's got full signal :)

Red Bull
Jun 24, 2010, 09:01 AM
Over and over, yeah. It is working now though, and it did start working after I'd switched it off and back on but I think that was just a coincidence, and it just needed a little time.

I can't get over the quality of the text on the screen!

Banana Pancakes
Jun 24, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm seriously hacked off now.

Reserved 2 handsets... called last night to verify that I would be able to pick one up this morning and one in the afternoon. Was told yes, that was fine. When I was in the store this morning, I mentioned 3 times that I would be back... again told, that's fine.

OH just called the store to be told that because 1 handset was already picked up, the order has been cancelled. BEYOND FUMING! :mad:

Red Bull
Jun 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
I can see where they're coming from - They were telling people one phone per customer when I was there - but if they've said over and over that it's acceptable for you to go back and get it, they certainly shouldn't have cancelled it without your permission.

Is it worth trying Phones 4U if it's an upgrade you're after?

neilmacd
Jun 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Well after a change of heart (and after seeing some videos of cracked screens) went back to Eldon Square Apple Store at 6pm to buy a bumper. Still plenty of reservations to pick up apparently.

In hindsight, could have walked in at 6pm and been done by 6.20pm, no queue, calm restored!

Unless a lot of people turn up before closing time (9pm), there's a good chance of picking up an ex-reserved iPhone tomorrow morning!

Banana Pancakes
Jun 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
I can see where they're coming from - They were telling people one phone per customer when I was there - but if they've said over and over that it's acceptable for you to go back and get it, they certainly shouldn't have cancelled it without your permission.

Is it worth trying Phones 4U if it's an upgrade you're after?

I got it sorted in the end, they really are a nice bunch of guys in there :)

I assumed it would be 1 per customer but I couldn't get hold of my OH when the pre order page went up so I took a chance and tried reserving 2. It let me do that with no hassle so obviously it was allowed.

(just to clarify... i had reserved 2 handsets, one for me and one for my partner... i never expected 2 handsets for myself, lol! we're both registered on the same itunes account so therefore they're reserved in the 1 e-mail address, phew)

Anyway, all's well that ends well... I gave them a call, explained everything, they admitted it was their mistake and an hour later I was back in the store (with OH this time!) and picking up an iPhone :)

Actually, the guy in front of me picked up 2 this morning so I'm not sure where you heard the '1 per person' rule?!

Reser
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
I got it sorted in the end, they really are a nice bunch of guys in there :)

I assumed it would be 1 per customer but I couldn't get hold of my OH when the pre order page went up so I took a chance and tried reserving 2. It let me do that with no hassle so obviously it was allowed.

(just to clarify... i had reserved 2 handsets, one for me and one for my partner... i never expected 2 handsets for myself, lol! we're both registered on the same itunes account so therefore they're reserved in the 1 e-mail address, phew)

Anyway, all's well that ends well... I gave them a call, explained everything, they admitted it was their mistake and an hour later I was back in the store (with OH this time!) and picking up an iPhone :)

Actually, the guy in front of me picked up 2 this morning so I'm not sure where you heard the '1 per person' rule?!

When I said I would be coming back for a 32GB for myself they said 'Sorry you can only have 1 per card so that will be a problem' spent ages with the guy while he tried to figure out how I should go about reserving a 32GB he said only way would be for my mum to pick mine up on her card and order it in her name , since I have already picked up hers on my card.

I asked if I could use my other card to buy it.. he paused for a bit on that question and then said no. I am betting the real answer is yes but he would get in trouble for saying it, hence the pause while he decided wether to tell the truth.

flatspikes
Jun 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
So tomorrow, will it be worth a try or is it game over till July now? Will there be a glut of uncollected phones ready for sale? Will the be opening at 9am as usual tomorrow?

Banana Pancakes
Jun 25, 2010, 03:40 AM
When I said I would be coming back for a 32GB for myself they said 'Sorry you can only have 1 per card so that will be a problem' spent ages with the guy while he tried to figure out how I should go about reserving a 32GB he said only way would be for my mum to pick mine up on her card and order it in her name , since I have already picked up hers on my card.

I asked if I could use my other card to buy it.. he paused for a bit on that question and then said no. I am betting the real answer is yes but he would get in trouble for saying it, hence the pause while he decided wether to tell the truth.

That makes sense. I suspect you're right about the second bit, you probably could buy a second handset on a second card.

The guy in front of my was picking up 2 sim free... one for him, and one for his mum. Not sure if he had different cards but as they're sim free maybe that wasn't a problem?

In my case, the 2 phones weren't for me thus I would be buying one on my card and my partner buying the other on a different card.

I just wanted to be there at opening whereas my OH wasn't so bothered :o I would have reluctantly have waited until the evening and we both could have gone together but havng called the store the night before to check, decided it was safe enough to be there for the opening!

Thankfully it got sorted or I may not be alive to post this today :p

Banana Pancakes
Jun 25, 2010, 03:42 AM
So tomorrow, will it be worth a try or is it game over till July now? Will there be a glut of uncollected phones ready for sale? Will the be opening at 9am as usual tomorrow?

Did you call them? They definitely weren't holding any reserved phones past closing last night so it may have been worth checking. I guess it depends on the size of the queue that put their names down yesterday :eek:

flatspikes
Jun 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
Did you call them? They definitely weren't holding any reserved phones past closing last night so it may have been worth checking. I guess it depends on the size of the queue that put their names down yesterday :eek:

Been to the store today they had none as to be expected I guess. They said there is a priority list and so I added my name to it, they seemed hopeful of stock really soon so fingers crossed, it may even be next week!

Reser
Jun 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
Been to the store today they had none as to be expected I guess. They said there is a priority list and so I added my name to it, they seemed hopeful of stock really soon so fingers crossed, it may even be next week!

I put my name down for priotary on launch, got an email today after just getting home from work telling me they had my 32GB already! Then i remember the 1 per card thing the guy told me, and mum could not come all weeked and it was only reserved till Saturday. Rang them up and asked them if the one per card thing I was told was true, they said er no actually it is 2 per card so your fine. lol... seems that guy was just being difficult.

By the time I noticed email and rang them it was 5pm, and Apple closes at 6 D: I litrually left that second and quickly caught bus to newcaslte and arrived at 5:55pm, sprinted to Apple store, arrived exhausted and dieing at 5:59pm, so so close, store closed just after i finished talking to the people about picking up my phone, luckily they let me stay till i had it, Took them 3 scanners though! lol, all of them running out of battery power. The whole buying process is a bit lengthy like! how many times do they have to scan the bloody thing lol.

Apparently the Iphone was a non picked up reservation. So I am surprised it took them till 4pm today to email me. I am also surprised that many people didnt pick up their phones, I saw tons of people put their name down before me.

Anyway now I have the antenna problem.. woe is me...

flatspikes
Jun 26, 2010, 03:46 AM
I put my name down for priotary on launch, got an email today after just getting home from work telling me they had my 32GB already! Then i remember the 1 per card thing the guy told me, and mum could not come all weeked and it was only reserved till Saturday. Rang them up and asked them if the one per card thing I was told was true, they said er no actually it is 2 per card so your fine. lol... seems that guy was just being difficult.

By the time I noticed email and rang them it was 5pm, and Apple closes at 6 D: I litrually left that second and quickly caught bus to newcaslte and arrived at 5:55pm, sprinted to Apple store, arrived exhausted and dieing at 5:59pm, so so close, store closed just after i finished talking to the people about picking up my phone, luckily they let me stay till i had it, Took them 3 scanners though! lol, all of them running out of battery power. The whole buying process is a bit lengthy like! how many times do they have to scan the bloody thing lol.

Apparently the Iphone was a non picked up reservation. So I am surprised it took them till 4pm today to email me. I am also surprised that many people didnt pick up their phones, I saw tons of people put their name down before me.

Anyway now I have the antenna problem.. woe is me...

Wow wee that is some adventure! Seems a book could be written on an apple product launch. Perhaps I should have queued to put my name down on launch day too but I walked off to work instead... Still on the list now and have changed my apple Id email address so I might actually get the confirmation, it's crazy that my @mac email address cannot actually receive mail