PDA

View Full Version : Post your oldest "living" PowerPC Mac!

Pages : [1] 2

Corbin052198
Jun 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
This is the forum for posting your oldest, still-working PowerPC-based Mac! It's OK if it has a couple minor issues (dead FireWire or USB ports, non-working CD drive, e.t.c), just as long as it boots!

This is mine:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/IBook_G3_M6497_J.jpg/800px-IBook_G3_M6497_J.jpg
iBook G3 (Dual-USB, Late 2001) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#iBook_G3_Dual_USB_.2812.1.22_and_14.1.22.29)

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 05:34 PM
Mine is now with my aunt. It's a Blue & white G3 with a G4 500MHz, 1GB RAM, 40+30GB HD and a Radeon 7000 32MB. Also added a USB 2.0 PCI card for her camera and replaced both stock fans with high end Antec dual ball bearing. It's painted like the one in my signature but with spray paint rather than car paint.

I set it up for her with 10.4.11, office 2004 and iphoto 08. She is very content with the performance as all she does is web, personal photos and use word.

Forgot to add that I bought this B&W new in 99. Had it ever since and it still runs 100% great.

A photo:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/57/201497790_08eb9e31bb_o.jpg

mrchinchilla
Jun 9, 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm sure I have an 12" iBook G3 running at 800MHz lying around here somewhere... The battery sometimes lasts 3 hours at a push as I found out on a train journey about a year ago, that was the last time I used it.

Edit: My 1998 PowerMac G3 Minitower@350MHz (slightly overclocked) trumps my iBook.

g3powerbook boy
Jun 9, 2010, 06:32 PM
I have a g3 400 mhz 256k imac, a g3 powerbook pismo and a g4 titanium powerbook all working perfect.

DesmoPilot
Jun 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
Blue & White G3 350MHz with 512MB RAM, 40GB HD and the original ATI rage 16MB. Only has OS 9 on it and only boot it up when I decide to play OS 9 games; which isn't often, but it still works.

DewGuy1999
Jun 9, 2010, 08:44 PM
Apple iMac (17" Flat Panel)/G4 1GHz/768MB RAM/80GB HD/Super Drive/Mac OS X 10.4.11
Apple iMac (Rev. B/Bondi Blue)/G3 233MHz/160MB RAM/4GB HD/CD-ROM/Mac OS 8.6
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213267&d=1265146546

Hrududu
Jun 9, 2010, 10:05 PM
Got all of you beat so far. Performa 6115 running at a whopping 60MHz.

666sheep
Jun 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
Mine is iBook Clamshell 466 SE w. max RAM, Airport and 32 GB SSD. Used almost everyday for iTunes playback and light web browsing if needed. For 10 years old laptop it does all of this very well.

northernbaldy
Jun 10, 2010, 03:11 AM

thats a sexy beast

I would love apple to open a styling studio. a pininfarina style company, coming up with some nice car designs

zen.state
Jun 10, 2010, 03:17 AM
thats a sexy beast

I would love apple to open a styling studio. a pininfarina style company, coming up with some nice car designs

Thanks man. The link in my signature will show you an even sexier one painted with car paint.

netsurfz
Jun 10, 2010, 07:00 AM
PowerBook G3 266 (PDQ - Late 1998) (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_266.html)

Just bought it today. Its an old machine, but its still cool for me. Will post the image later.

By the way, the machine is really heavy.

Corbin052198
Jun 10, 2010, 07:37 AM
Got all of you beat so far. Performa 6115 running at a whopping 60MHz.

I am impressed. Vey cool :D

Corbin052198
Jun 10, 2010, 07:40 AM
Apple iMac (17" Flat Panel)/G4 1GHz/768MB RAM/80GB HD/Super Drive/Mac OS X 10.4.11
Apple iMac (Rev. B/Bondi Blue)/G3 233MHz/160MB RAM/4GB HD/CD-ROM/Mac OS 8.6
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213267&d=1265146546

I also have an iMac G4 (The New iMac, it was called), but it is a 15-inch model, I think.

DarkCloud2015
Jun 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
I also have an iMac G4 (The New iMac, it was called), but it is a 15-inch model, I think.

I have one of those, currently waiting for a mobo replacement. Once it's up and running I'll post pics :D

Dane D.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
We still have on-line a 8600/200 for communciating with our old Fiery RIP.
-200MHz 604e cpu
-OS 8.6
-160MB RAM
-2GB boot drive (SCSI)
-9GB internal HD(SCSI)
-350MB internal HD(SCSI)
-CD-ROM(SCSI)
-ix3D Ultimate Rez video card
-external SCSI ZIP 250

I still use my B/W's as my daily home units, see sig.

macgeek18
Jun 10, 2010, 10:43 AM
My oldest running PPC system is a 33Mhz Macintosh Performa with 24MB of ram and a 250MB HDD,running OS 7.5. :D

I think I have some of you beat.:P

I also have a 867Mhz PM G4 Quicksilver,and a dual 450Mhz PM G4 Digital Audio.

peakchua
Jun 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
i have a mac mini g4 that boots faster than my imac 2.66 ghz nvidia..

20 gb hdd
64mb gpu (i forgot i took the ram out and dont know how to replace it)
1.2 ghz ppc g4 (still really fast)
in my conclusion the g4 is the best ppc chip apple used :) g5 killed everyone :eek:

Hrududu
Jun 10, 2010, 10:49 AM
My oldest running PPC system is a 33Mhz Macintosh Performa with 24MB of ram and a 250MB HDD,running OS 7.5. :D

I think I have some of you beat.:P

I also have a 867Mhz PM G4 Quicksilver,and a dual 450Mhz PM G4 Digital Audio.
33MHz is gonna be a 68k system, not a PPC :D

xi mezmerize ix
Jun 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
1999 iMac G3. Runs fine still, just a little bit slow. Used it up until a few weeks ago when I got an i5 MBP. Moved the iMac off my desk and into my closet in case I ever need it again.

http://www.designedinca.com/images/256/imacsnow.jpg

drewdle
Jun 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have an original B&W G3/300Mhz model in the closet. It still works, it's just in pieces at the moment as it had to give up some of it's parts (namely a DVD burner I had installed) for use in the iMac. I have 4x256Mb sticks in it, but it only sees 512Mb of memory, and I can't get it to see ANY PCI expansion cards (I've tried several from local vendors). Also, strangely enough, the 300Mhz CPU only shipped on Rev A motherboards (with their little hard drive issue) but the board in mine is a Rev B board (and incidentally came with the faster of the two graphics cards they offered, the Rage 128 Pro).

I would fix it up, but at present I have no task for it. Thought about turning it into a server of sorts. Also, I just spent money fixing up the iMac, so it's not the highest priority. Still can't believe I can surf the internet on a 12 year old computer. :)

Do we get points for one's oldest non-PPC Mac? I've got a Macintosh SE FDHD and an ImageWriter II setup.

macgeek18
Jun 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah,that's true. :rolleyes:

max¥¥
Jun 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
gotta be my imac g3 rev.c 333mhz

macgeek18
Jun 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
My 867Mhz PM G4 Quicksilver is sitting here updating Leopard right now,and later today I will be installing Tiger on the second HD, I can't wait to get my dual 450 G4 later today or tomorrow,nothing like a a free Mac. :)

Makosuke
Jun 10, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have a 1998-vintage Performa 6500/250 that still gets occasional use to transfer data off Mac-format floppies; also has Ethernet and USB cards added (previously had an upgraded ATI GPU in place of the USB card).

We also have a couple of Yikes G4 towers running 10.4 that actually get used regularly by students at work. That's a little sad.

These don't really count, as they're not getting used, but as far as machines that still work I have an original LC, ca 1990 (16MHz 68K chip, upgraded to 12MB RAM of which it could only use 10 if memory serves), which was my earliest Mac (I can't remember if it's that LC or another, but there is an LC with the Apple II personality card, which is cool), and an Apple //c and //c+, plus a Centris 610 and Quadra 6100AV (I think; can't remember the exact model number, but it's the same form factor as the Centris, which I always kind of liked).

thebez
Jun 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
PowerBook G3 266 (PDQ - Late 1998) (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_266.html)

Just bought it today. Its an old machine, but its still cool for me. Will post the image later.

By the way, the machine is really heavy.

That is one of the cool ones, where the rubber on top is covering a stainless steel plate. I'm not entirely sure anyone knows why they did that. I do know that it looks really cool when you take the rubber off!

My oldest running Mac is a bondi blue iMac, with a 333 mhz processor, running OS X beta. It is so weird to use after getting accustomed to 10.6! Every once in a while I need to boot it up with a cd so I can set the clock to a date that the beta likes.

I used to have a WGS 91500120, but I got tired of dealing with the pre USB stuff.

DewGuy1999
Jun 10, 2010, 09:03 PM
That is one of the cool ones, where the rubber on top is covering a stainless steel plate. I'm not entirely sure anyone knows why they did that. I do know that it looks really cool when you take the rubber off!

My oldest running Mac is a bondi blue iMac, with a 333 mhz processor, running OS X beta. It is so weird to use after getting accustomed to 10.6! Every once in a while I need to boot it up with a cd so I can set the clock to a date that the beta likes.

I used to have a WGS 91500120, but I got tired of dealing with the pre USB stuff.

Nit picking mode on...

If it's a Bondi Blue iMac it's not 333 MHz, it's 233 MHz. If it's 333 MHz then it's Blueberry iMac. :)

Intell
Jun 10, 2010, 09:10 PM
My oldest "living" one is my Performa 6200/Power Macintosh 6200. It is often view as one of the worst Macs ever made. But after 15 years it still runs very well. My oldest "living" PPC Mac that sees regular use is my trusty G4 Cube.

drewdle
Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
My oldest "living" one is my Performa 6200/Power Macintosh 6200. It is often view as one of the worst Macs ever made. But after 15 years it still runs very well. My oldest "living" PPC Mac that sees regular use is my trusty G4 Cube.

The 6200 has a terrific write up on just how strange a design it was over at Low End Mac. When you route primary system functions like Ethernet communication through the main CPU, and then strangle that CPU with an architecture designed for a far simpler chip, you're just asking for trouble. Cool to see one still alive (most were thrown out of high-up building windows in frustration).

If that Cube is fully original, you might want to consider installing a fan on it. Not the most elegant solution, but some of these had overheating issues, and a cooler computer is a happier, longer lasting computer. :) Not that nine years strong isn't something to be proud of.

zen.state
Jun 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
The 6200 has a terrific write up on just how strange a design it was over at Low End Mac. When you route primary system functions like Ethernet communication through the main CPU, and then strangle that CPU with an architecture designed for a far simpler chip, you're just asking for trouble. Cool to see one still alive (most were thrown out of high-up building windows in frustration).

It certainly is one of the more strange and unique Macs ever. A good friend of mine who is now a very successful graphic designer made his start on a 6200. Back then (1995) I remember him buying an extra 16MB RAM and it costing almost 1400. I guess that was when the RAM price scandal was in it's full bloom. :)

CandyShop
Jun 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm a college student, and this past spring, my MacBook died without warning or explanation right before finals week. I took it to the Genius Bar, and they told me it would be $800 for an in store repair, $300 if they shipped it out for repair.

I couldn't afford either option, and I desperately needed a computer because I really did not want to spend finals week typing all my papers in the computer lab. I went down to Goodwill with the cash I had, because they sell old Macs and I wanted anything that would let me write in the peace of my own room. I settled on a 600MHz Graphite iMac G3 running Tiger with 512MB of Ram. It was a tough purchase- I knew that I would be better off saving the money and putting it towards the cost of repairing my MacBook. However, I decided I would just have to eat the cost of the iMac purchase for the sake of my sanity during finals week, and figured that I could hand the computer down to a younger sibling after my MacBook was fixed.

I brought the iMac home on the bus, fired it up, and I am thrilled to say that its running beautifully; it runs almost as fast as the MacBook for my daily tasks! (Email, iTunes, word processing, web.) I actually like the iMac better than my MacBook; the industrial design is stunning, and I won't be giving it up even once my MacBook is fixed later this summer. It saved me during finals, and I feel like you're forever bonded to a computer once you have the experience of hauling it across town in a cardboard box via public transportation haha. :)

MacHamster68
Jun 10, 2010, 11:17 PM
It certainly is one of the more strange and unique Macs ever. A good friend of mine who is now a very successful graphic designer made his start on a 6200. Back then (1995) I remember him buying an extra 16MB RAM and it costing almost 1400. I guess that was when the RAM price scandal was in it's full bloom. :)

i remember these days very well when i had to pay a fortune for a couple MB ram :(

btw my oldest Mac is a PowerMac 5500 /275 mhz ,now with sonnet crescendo upgrade 500 MHz G3 with 1MB/250 MHz L2 cache running OS9 from May 1997
my TAM is from the same year same upgrade card also running OS9 but is from july , have the original receipts for both
and i even believe the powermac 5500 is the rarer model of the two as it was a european model only , i think the only Mac ever produced for europe only

drewdle
Jun 11, 2010, 12:07 AM
I'm a college student, and this past spring, my MacBook died without warning or explanation right before finals week. I took it to the Genius Bar, and they told me it would be $800 for an in store repair, $300 if they shipped it out for repair.

I couldn't afford either option, and I desperately needed a computer because I really did not want to spend finals week typing all my papers in the computer lab. I went down to Goodwill with the cash I had, because they sell old Macs and I wanted anything that would let me write in the peace of my own room. I settled on a 600MHz Graphite iMac G3 running Tiger with 512MB of Ram. It was a tough purchase- I knew that I would be better off saving the money and putting it towards the cost of repairing my MacBook. However, I decided I would just have to eat the cost of the iMac purchase for the sake of my sanity during finals week, and figured that I could hand the computer down to a younger sibling after my MacBook was fixed.

I brought the iMac home on the bus, fired it up, and I am thrilled to say that its running beautifully; it runs almost as fast as the MacBook for my daily tasks! (Email, iTunes, word processing, web.) I actually like the iMac better than my MacBook; the industrial design is stunning, and I won't be giving it up even once my MacBook is fixed later this summer. It saved me during finals, and I feel like you're forever bonded to a computer once you have the experience of hauling it across town in a cardboard box via public transportation haha. :)

I've had a very similar experience with my iMac G4, even though nothing so dire as my MacBook dying had happened. I've found this machine to be plenty quick at daily tasks, and it seems to have far more character than my MacBook did (can't put my finger on it, it's just different when everything isn't lightning quick). And again, the design is incredible. I've always loved the iMac that you bought, ever since I remember being about 12 and seeing a Tangerine slot-loader for sale in a London Drugs. That was my first hard-core computer crush. I wanted it bad. That being said, the flexible-arm iMac G4 has got to be one of the most stunning things you'll ever see sitting on a desk.

My wife killed her first MacBook with a glass of water. As she was strapped for cash at the time, I tried to convince her to look into used machines, but she waited for the money to come and bought another new one. Could have had another classic PPC in the house. *sigh*

mmfphotodude
Jun 11, 2010, 03:22 AM
a PowerBook 5300CS...

But really i only use my :apple:PowerBook G4 Titanium 550MHZ.

Use it just about everyday, heck im on it now, 6-8 hour battery, its perfect for me.

It just works.

-mmf

g3powerbook boy
Jun 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
i have a g3 imac 400mhz/256k, a g3 powerbook pismo 500mhz/512k and a g4 titanium powerbook 400mhz/512k .

I have been using my newest aquisition every day since i got it 3 weeks ago, the g4 titanium powerbook and love every minute of it. a lot of people have asked me if it is a macbook pro... a few apple users have too.

the g series macs are the best i think!

course then again all macs are the best.....

redcupr
Jun 11, 2010, 10:40 AM
Not as old as some, but quite the find from the recycle pile here at work this week. Quicksilver 800MHz with a 17" Studio Display. The both work perfect and look brand new. And the price....free. :p

Sorry about the Dell mouse, the Pro Mouse no worky.

http://i46.tinypic.com/24chbfb.jpg

Intell
Jun 11, 2010, 11:27 AM

If that Cube is fully original, you might want to consider installing a fan on it. Not the most elegant solution, but some of these had overheating issues, and a cooler computer is a happier, longer lasting computer. :) Not that nine years strong isn't something to be proud of.

I've read the thing at Low End Mac. It is an odd computer, but I love to still play old games on it. As for my Cube, I put a fan in it with a 1.5Ghz PowerLogix G4 and a bigger hard drive about a year ago. It does run warmer then I would like it, but I love it all the more.

I remember the RAM pricing issues as well, 8MB for $75, outrageous. I'm now running 64MB in my 6200 and it is one of the best things I have ever done for it and I pulled the RAM from an old PC box.

a PowerBook 5300CS...

But really i only use my :apple:PowerBook G4 Titanium 550MHZ.

Use it just about everyday, heck im on it now, 6-8 hour battery, its perfect for me.

It just works.

-mmf

Those are some of the best laptops ever made. I've dropped mine, kicked it, thrown it, and dismantled it. It still works. I find it to be a bit slow at some things but the Internet is still usable on it, just no YouTube.

aliensporebomb
Jun 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
Still have a Performa 6400/180 downstairs with 136 megs of ram, still boots but doesn't get used very often. I have an external drive that boots BeOS R5!

For OS X I still have my Sawtooth G4/400 with 2 gigs of ram and assorted IDE drives but usage is very occasional when I still want to use a non OS-X audio app for music production.

My regular daily use PPC machine is a G5 2.5 dual with 8 gigs of ram, 4.7 TB of disc, nVidia 7800 GS graphics (256 megs), 23" Acer LCD flat panel and a bunch of music and audio production doodads stuck to it via USB or Firewire.

That's a pretty capable machine still.....

zen.state
Jun 11, 2010, 12:10 PM
Still have a Performa 6400/180 downstairs with 136 megs of ram, still boots but doesn't get used very often.

I used to have that exact spec of the same model. Loved it. I also added 512KB L2 to mine.

aliensporebomb
Jun 11, 2010, 12:18 PM
I used to have that exact spec of the same model. Loved it. I also added 512KB L2 to mine.

I added one of those as well!

Adding that let me do 16 tracks of audio in real time, I was so happy with that one. The internal 1.6 gig drive didn't do much though.

The case was also one of the most hideous things to work on ever designed to add replacement drives to, etc.

tkatchev69
Jun 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
I am very pleased to have Lucid Lynx running on my TiBook G4 500MHz from yesteryear with a whopping 384 MB of RAM. Wasn't that easy to get the xorg.conf correct. And crazy me didn't think an airport card built in was necessary, so I have a PCMCIA wireless card. But it slowly gets by!

coupdetat
Jun 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
My 600 mhz iMac G3 Snow is still in daily use. In fact, I'm typing on it right now. Safari isn't blazing fast on it, but it's perfectly fine for reading the news, going through forums, browsing Amazon, etc. Programs like iTunes, Office 2004, and Photoshop CS all run great. Basically anything that doesn't involve Flash is totally fine. Plus, as mentioned earlier, the industrial design on these things is just stunning. It's totally silent, compact, gorgeous to look at, and very usable. The only bad point is the CRT, which looks great at 800x600 but goes a bit fuzzy at 1024x768.

[edit] Great speakers, too!! I'm listening to WNYC on mine as I chat on Adium and browse MR.

PowerGamerX
Jun 13, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'll post pictures when I find my camera, but every Mac I've had has either died or just been not as fun to use as my 12" PowerBook. I have it hooked up to a 19" display (Dell) with Apple wireless keyboard and mouse etc. and it runs beautiful.

And heres the kicker for all you, everybody thinks its lightning fast and brand new. They are astonished that it's over 4 years old. The secret... 64gb SSD drive. Expensive yes, but it really breathed new life into the system.

I plan to go over to my local refurb/used Mac store to get a aluminum cinema display. They typically have them for 200 or so, which seems good to me :).

Oldest one that I've ever owned (and passed on to my step-sis, still works) is a PowerBook Pismo.

Overall the oldest computer that still works that I own though is a 385 ThinkPad. If I were to ever need to buy a PC a Lenovo ThinkPad would be the brand.

Intell
Jun 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
The secret... 64gb SSD drive.

Any more details on that SSD? I've been wanting one for my old Ti Book, but I'm having trouble finding one that's IDE/PATA.

DesmoPilot
Jun 13, 2010, 10:57 PM
Any more details on that SSD? I've been wanting one for my old Ti Book, but I'm having trouble finding one that's IDE/PATA.

You won't ever fine one as they don't and never will exist.

Intell
Jun 13, 2010, 10:59 PM
You won't ever fine one as they don't and never will exist.

I know they exist, but they are rare. I know can make one using come Compact Flash cards. But I want a real one.

PowerGamerX
Jun 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
I know they exist, but they are rare. I know can make one using come Compact Flash cards. But I want a real one.

I think I'm using this same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/64GB-OCZ-2-5-PATA-IDE-SOLID-STATE-DRIVE-SSD-BRAND-NEW-/380237493355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item5887ebb46b

Intell
Jun 13, 2010, 11:16 PM
I think I'm using this same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/64GB-OCZ-2-5-PATA-IDE-SOLID-STATE-DRIVE-SSD-BRAND-NEW-/380237493355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item5887ebb46b

Thanks.

666sheep
Jun 14, 2010, 02:25 AM
^ Considerthis (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-SSD-IDE-64GB-PATA-MLC-IBM-T43-T40-Dell-Afq-/260545092325?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca9b29ae5) - it has better specs than OCZ.

PowerGamerX
Jun 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
^ Considerthis (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-SSD-IDE-64GB-PATA-MLC-IBM-T43-T40-Dell-Afq-/260545092325?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca9b29ae5) - it has better specs than OCZ.

Looks good! Most slow SSD's still fly past 7200rpm drives anyway though.

I really like the G4 cube setup back a couple posts. It's really neat.

Intell
Jun 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
I really like the G4 cube setup back a couple posts. It's really neat.

Thanks, I was showing off to my Aunt who has never seen one before. Now it's on a KVM switch.

robotmonkey
Jun 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
Not a powerpc, but our '89 se/30 is quicker to open programs than my new mbp.

dandeco
Jun 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
My oldest would have to be my B&W G3, the 1st version with a 300 MHz processor. It boots up (it makes the chime sound), but since I do not have a graphics card for it, I am not sure what to do with it yet. (After all, I DID get this for free anyway.) It also came with no RAM (I can easily fill that gap) and a 40 GB hard drive. I may make it into a Mac OS 9 video-editing machine of some sort, and try out running the original iMovie or Final Cut Pro (the latter being the original version 1.0, if I can find it) on this Mac.

My second oldest would have to be my iMac G3 from mid-2000; it's the Indigo model and has a 350 MHz processor, 768 MB of RAM, a 7 GB stock hard drive (I plan to upgrade it), a slot-loading CD-ROM drive, and two dead USB 1.1 ports, which means even though it boots, I cannot use it without a keyboard or mouse! Now that I have additional hardware, I want to try and max out the old iMac and experiment with it. Any idea on how to fix the USB ports or something?

I also have a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver in my basement, that boots and works perfectly (it's connected to a large Dell CRT monitor via a DVI-to-VGA adapter, shared with the downstairs Dell desktop we use as a server; it is also used with the Apple Pro Keyboard and a spare Logitech mouse.) It has the 867MHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, an 80 GB hard drive, an HP dual-layer DVD burner with LightScribe, and a PCI USB 2.0 card added to the back. I do use it on occasion, but not often, it is considered a "backup" Mac. But it does run Mac OS X Leopard really well, along with iLife '06.

My daily use PPC machine is my 1.42 GHz G4 eMac. It is the top-of-the-line model that comes with the SuperDrive and the 160 GB hard drive. It also has an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 64 MB of VRAM. I also upgraded the RAM to 1.5 GB (plan to max it out to 2 GB soon), put in an old AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi card I had lying around, and also installed the Mac Box Set (Leopard version) on it, as it only came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger with no additional software (not even iLife). I even got iMovie '09 running on it without much problems (via that run-iMovie-on-a-G4 hack thing). This machine even handles YouTube videos just fine, though sometimes they can stutter a bit if I am doing heavy multitasking. I also use a newer-style Apple Keyboard with it (the version with the numeric keypad) and Apple Mouse (I REALLY need to get the trackball cleaned up, as it will not scroll down right now).

violindoug
Jun 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
thats a sexy beast

WOW U TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! :) My friends also think I'm kinda a geek when it comes to computers b/c once I went rambling on about how the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are sexy... haha

violindoug
Jun 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
i have a g3 imac 400mhz/256k, a g3 powerbook pismo 500mhz/512k and a g4 titanium powerbook 400mhz/512k .

I have been using my newest aquisition every day since i got it 3 weeks ago, the g4 titanium powerbook and love every minute of it. a lot of people have asked me if it is a macbook pro... a few apple users have too.

the g series macs are the best i think!

course then again all macs are the best.....

haha yesterday i was talking with someone who owns a mac about the iBook G4 i have for one week now and they said "Macs are the only way to go..."

violindoug
Jun 20, 2010, 02:41 PM
My oldest would have to be my B&W G3, the 1st version with a 300 MHz processor. It boots up (it makes the chime sound), but since I do not have a graphics card for it, I am not sure what to do with it yet. (After all, I DID get this for free anyway.) It also came with no RAM (I can easily fill that gap) and a 40 GB hard drive. I may make it into a Mac OS 9 video-editing machine of some sort, and try out running the original iMovie or Final Cut Pro (the latter being the original version 1.0, if I can find it) on this Mac.

My second oldest would have to be my iMac G3 from mid-2000; it's the Indigo model and has a 350 MHz processor, 768 MB of RAM, a 7 GB stock hard drive (I plan to upgrade it), a slot-loading CD-ROM drive, and two dead USB 1.1 ports, which means even though it boots, I cannot use it without a keyboard or mouse! Now that I have additional hardware, I want to try and max out the old iMac and experiment with it. Any idea on how to fix the USB ports or something?

I also have a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver in my basement, that boots and works perfectly (it's connected to a large Dell CRT monitor via a DVI-to-VGA adapter, shared with the downstairs Dell desktop we use as a server; it is also used with the Apple Pro Keyboard and a spare Logitech mouse.) It has the 867MHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, an 80 GB hard drive, an HP dual-layer DVD burner with LightScribe, and a PCI USB 2.0 card added to the back. I do use it on occasion, but not often, it is considered a "backup" Mac. But it does run Mac OS X Leopard really well, along with iLife '06.

My daily use PPC machine is my 1.42 GHz G4 eMac. It is the top-of-the-line model that comes with the SuperDrive and the 160 GB hard drive. It also has an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 64 MB of VRAM. I also upgraded the RAM to 1.5 GB (plan to max it out to 2 GB soon), put in an old AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi card I had lying around, and also installed the Mac Box Set (Leopard version) on it, as it only came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger with no additional software (not even iLife). I even got iMovie '09 running on it without much problems (via that run-iMovie-on-a-G4 hack thing). This machine even handles YouTube videos just fine, though sometimes they can stutter a bit if I am doing heavy multitasking. I also use a newer-style Apple Keyboard with it (the version with the numeric keypad) and Apple Mouse (I REALLY need to get the trackball cleaned up, as it will not scroll down right now).

uh yeah how do u do the "that run-iMovie-on-a-G4 hack thing" because i have an ibook g4 and i really want imovie 09

MacsBestFriend
Jun 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
my aunt has an extra ibook g4 i'm trying to talk her into giving me. it's that or my little sister gets it...

Graeme43
Jun 20, 2010, 03:18 PM
I have B&W G3 and iBook G3. I'm putting 10.2 on the iBook right now as an upgrade from 10.1 lol but can't seem to get OS9 on it :confused: bloody disks dont boot lol

Sooo retro!!

macgeek18
Jun 20, 2010, 04:28 PM
I have my 2 PowerMac G4's,my 867Mhz Quicksilver,and my dual 867Mhz MDD.

dandeco
Jun 20, 2010, 05:00 PM
uh yeah how do u do the "that run-iMovie-on-a-G4 hack thing" because i have an ibook g4 and i really want imovie 09

You can find out how to do it here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/iLife09_user_feedback_tips.html

But as a reminder: your graphics card MUST support Core Image (and I mean hardware-accelerated, NOT software-accelerated). If it does now support Core Image, it will not work.

Archon Gold
Jun 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
PowerMac G3 B&W 300Mhz 1Gb RAM First Revision w/ original Keyboard, Mouse, and Power Cables. :D

MacGeek, I never knew you had a Digital Audio PowerMac. (from one of your earlier posts, I just saw this thread lol)

Shotgun OS
Jun 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
I have a G5 iMac w/ iSight, but I think it's on its last legs. It heats up really hot (so hot in fact that it has burn marks on the top right of the screen), and the operating system failed installs like 3 times...it's a bit slow and messes up and won't load some applications at times. :(

But my dad still uses a Powermac G4 as his main machine. He keeps upgrading it and it's chugging along just fine.

We used to have a perfectly working, maxed out iMac G3 bondi blue, but we lent it to our friends after their computer died, and a power outage friend it.

OGDaniel
Jun 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
Mine is now with my aunt. It's a Blue & white G3 with a G4 500MHz, 1GB RAM, 40+30GB HD and a Radeon 7000 32MB. Also added a USB 2.0 PCI card for her camera and replaced both stock fans with high end Antec dual ball bearing. It's painted like the one in my signature but with spray paint rather than car paint.

I set it up for her with 10.4.11, office 2004 and iphoto 08. She is very content with the performance as all she does is web, personal photos and use word.

Forgot to add that I bought this B&W new in 99. Had it ever since and it still runs 100% great.

A photo:

I envy you friend. That is a fantastic machine :)

SuperCompu2
Jun 21, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm currently posting from my 400MHz Pismo! Bought a 5+ hour battery for it, and it's still chugging along!

Safari 4 = god send for old machines

drewdle
Jun 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
I think it's awesome that there's been four or five of us with B&W G3's. I got mine for free too, and as it stands can't find RAM that works in it despite it meeting the requirements as laid out by Apple. It's working well as a music server at present though. See below for how that works.

So, if numbers don't lie, B&W G3's are hard to kill. :) Mine's almost 11.5 years young, and it runs cold (all the exhaust air coming out the back is cold), so who knows how much longer it'll keep going.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2599/picture1qp.png

DewGuy1999
Jun 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think it's awesome that there's been four or five of us with B&W G3's. I got mine for free too, and as it stands can't find RAM that works in it despite it meeting the requirements as laid out by Apple. It's working well as a music server at present though. See below for how that works.

So, if numbers don't lie, B&W G3's are hard to kill. :) Mine's almost 11.5 years young, and it runs cold (all the exhaust air coming out the back is cold), so who knows how much longer it'll keep going.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2599/picture1qp.png

Have you tried Crucial? I've always had good luck with them and if you use their Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool I believe they guarantee it to work.

Intell
Jun 24, 2010, 04:47 PM

320 MB, a G3, and Tiger that must be one slow computer.

drewdle
Jun 24, 2010, 04:56 PM

Indeed. I had to use it for two weeks as a backup when my MacBook was in the shop and I hadn't bought the iMac yet. It was murder. Makes a great music streamer though. It's been on all day chugging away on a SomaFM stream, haven't heard it skip a beat once. :D When Diaspora goes live, it'll function as a server for that as well. In the role that it's been placed, it does well enough.

Thanks for the tip about Crucial; I don't think I'll be upgrading the G3 unless it really needs it, but I'll keep that in mind. I had good service (and luck) from OWC as well, which is where I got the memory for the iMac.

Bennieboy©
Jun 24, 2010, 05:22 PM
have got a iMac G3 600Mhz, will post pictures later sometime lol it's the oldest mac i have, apart from my MDD G4

0dev
Jul 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
I got an iMac G4 and will be acquiring a PowerBook Pismo shortly. The iMac runs fine (though it needs a RAM upgrade), and I'm told the PowerBook is the same, though I've yet to even lay eyes on it, so I have no idea if that's true yet :p

4JNA
Jul 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
i have and still use an iMac g3/400 that spent several years with a friends daughter (teen). it survived every myspace horror that she threw at it, was on the internet/chat 23.9999 hours a day, and was finally given back to me after she went off to college.

other than the crazy pink stickers, it seems to run well.

ouch my eyes. :eek:

Roman23
Jul 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
Also, have a G5 Quad here and also a G4 MDD 2003 model.. don't really use the powerpc anymore as I use my Intel since its the way forward.

bobbytomorow
Jul 19, 2010, 03:38 AM
SE/30 FTW

Pic for reference but mines mint with KB/M

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/EMILE.jpg

Hey Jerry Seinfeld had this :cool:

mrsir2009
Jul 19, 2010, 01:58 PM
I've got a Mac Classic (not sure if its a Power PC Mac, but its a 20 yr old Mac) from 1990, and it still works fine :D I'd post a picture but its tucked away in the attic at the moment.

tommer419
Jul 19, 2010, 07:29 PM
iBook G3 Dual USB 500 MHz

Jessica Lares
Jul 23, 2010, 01:37 PM
PowerBook 180c, be careful not to keep these things in garages, the battery will explode. I had some of the older big floppy Macs when I was like 2 though.

mrsir2009
Jul 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
WOW U TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! :) My friends also think I'm kinda a geek when it comes to computers b/c once I went rambling on about how the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are sexy... haha

Steve Jobs gets aroused by the MBP's design.

BarnacleGrim
Jul 25, 2010, 09:15 AM
The SE/30 and PowerBook 180c both have Motorola 68030 processors, not PPC.

My oldest PPC is a Power Macintosh 6100, but I haven't had time to see if it still works. My 6200 works, though, but it's a big time road Apple.

d88co88
Jul 25, 2010, 09:32 AM

I actually had an iMac G3 with 192 mb ram running tiger and it wasn't slow at all.

Intell
Jul 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
My 6200 works, though, but it's a big time road Apple.

We should start a "I *love* my Performa/Power Mac 6200" thread. They seem popular.

macgeek18
Jul 26, 2010, 12:41 AM
Still rocking my 867MHz PM G4 Quicksilver. :) Still smokes a 3Ghz P4 with double the Ram. :D

Jessica Lares
Jul 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
The SE/30 and PowerBook 180c both have Motorola 68030 processors, not PPC.

My oldest PPC is a Power Macintosh 6100, but I haven't had time to see if it still works. My 6200 works, though, but it's a big time road Apple.

Ah, ok then, sorry!

crobbins
Jul 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have a PowerMac G4 733MHZ quicksilver. I believe it was originally purchased in 2002. A friend gave it to me so while I haven't had it most of it's life, I do now!

Error Type -43
Jul 27, 2010, 08:00 PM
Power Mac 6500/275, 96mb ram, 4GB HDD, OS 8.6, video capture card from factory. Though it mainly sits in my closet, every now and then I'll hook it up to a monitor just to see what's on it.

masterjedi73
Jul 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
G4 1ghz MDD.

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have an old 5450CD? Performa or something of that nature. It has a bad hard drive though. Got it in '94-95 back when a Mac was a Mac :D. Have all the original stuff like boxes and Apple 15" CRT somewhere up in the attic.

Does that count as "Living"? :p

AppleCode
Jul 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
I have a :apple:PowerMac G4 Agp Graphics
http://www.applelinks.com/news/gifs/PowerMacG4.jpg

costabunny
Jul 29, 2010, 05:52 AM
Just picked another orphan powermac. G3 blue & white 350MHz with 320MB Ram. It had a corrupt install of 9.2 on. Quick rummage in my bits'n'pieces bin found a DVDRom and a couple of PC100 sticks - now she has just finished an install of Tiger with 512MB on her 6GB hard disk :)

Will make a nice machine for my nephew to play with.

(picked up a classic too but needs fans looking at and some boot disks)

JoeG4
Jul 29, 2010, 06:09 AM
I'm surprised, I expected a bunch of people with G5s to say that was their oldest lol.
My oldest is my MDD 867 G4 :)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zZDRx0MKYqE/S7kmeQpV7bI/AAAAAAAAAJs/_lQYUMWYovQ/s400/final%20001.JPG

DewGuy1999
Jul 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm surprised, I expected a bunch of people with G5s to say that was their oldest lol.
My oldest is my MDD 867 G4 :)

Nice setup. That desk looks really nice with your vintage gear.

kbfr08
Jul 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
My oldest (working) mac is is an iMac G4 1.25 USB 2.0 built week 50 of 2002 ;) .
I just trashed a bondi iMac G3 :'(

iLoveiMacs
Jul 30, 2010, 08:32 AM
My oldest is an iMac G3, 400 MHz Blueberry. I also have an 800 MHz iBook G3, and a Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4 which is dead (fixing it soon hopefully).

PowerGamerX
Jul 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
I figured I'd take the picture since I'm home due to stomach flu but here's my (really awesome) setup.

PowerBook G4 12 1.5, 1.25gb, 10.5.8, 160gb HDD
Cinema Display 20"
Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Bose Companion 2 Speakers
iPad 64gb WiFi
Twelve South BookArc

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1292/img2811n.jpg

drewdle
Jul 30, 2010, 02:51 PM
As my B&W G3 seems to be having logicboard related issues (I/O errors not related to the HD, a reluctance to boot, randomly deciding it doesn't like my RAM), my oldest "surviving as in fully functional" PPC Mac is my Clamshell.

I love my Clamshell. I had to restore a friend's 4 year old HP laptop from the clutches of some bad malware, and after a clean install of Windows 7, was amazed that my iBook can boot faster. My friend couldn't believe it. We did it twice just to be sure (the first time was a fluke; I just happened to turn them both on at the same time, as I was downloading patches and security software for him through the iBook to prevent any infections before he got set up).

DewGuy1999
Jul 30, 2010, 02:56 PM
I figured I'd take the picture since I'm home due to stomach flu but here's my (really awesome) setup.

PowerBook G4 12 1.5, 1.25gb, 10.5.8, 160gb HDD
Cinema Display 20"
Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Bose Companion 2 Speakers
iPad 64gb WiFi
Twelve South BookArc

A good looking setup and a nice mix of Apple tech you've got there. How do you like the Bose Companion 2 speakers?

P.S.: Get well soon.

PowerGamerX
Jul 30, 2010, 03:00 PM
A good looking setup and a nice mix of Apple tech you've got there. How do you like the Bose Companion 2 speakers?

P.S.: Get well soon.

Thank you!

The Bose speakers are great, I didn't invest in the subwoofer though, but they still sound excellent.

cluthz
Jul 31, 2010, 05:13 AM
I have a PowerMac 6100 and a PowerMac 7100! The first two powerpcs!
The 6100 have a NewerTech G3 210 MHz card!
The 7100 has the Apple AV card.
I also have a Apple PC compatibility card, a 486 DX 66mhz, but I had to remove it to fit the G3 card.

Tbh, I'm not 100% sure the 6100 works, and I haven't put much time into figure it out. The 7100 ran like a champ last time i tested it.

I also have quite a few macs in storage:
Mac SE, Mac SE30, 2x Mac IIsi, Centris 610, PowerMac 6100, PowerMac 7100, Umax S900 PPC604 @180Mhz, PowerMac G3/266 (clocked to 300mhz with added CPU fan, always been 100% stable).
Powerbook 180, Duo 230, Duo 280, Duo 2300, iBook G3/300

Other strange Apple stuff:
Apple SC 40 HD, Apple SC 80 HD, Apple CD 160 HD, Duo Dock (fullsize) and a minidock that just adds SCSI, ethernet and VGA

Computers that are still in use:
PowerMac G4/450 mhz (2x80 GB HD and 1x120GB, 724 MB ram, Geforce 4MX, Adaptec SCSI card.)
Was a work horse for several years! Amazing machine!
iMac G5 1.8GHz 20inch, upgraded with Airport and 1.5TB HD.

Giuly
Jul 31, 2010, 06:07 AM
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/723/img0238o.jpg
PowerMac G4 (Digital Audio) w/ 466MHz running Tiger Server. Both fans replaced with silent ones (http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/index.php?StoryID=30&ProductID=53&websiteLang=en), and the hard drive is mounted on silencers (http://www.cooltek.de/HDD-Zubehoer/artikel/Cooltek+Disk+Silencer.html).
I'm looking for a dual cpu board or 1/1.6GHz Sonnet upgrade right now, and a PSU which fits the power connector, has a 120/140mm fan inside, and is 80+ certified. I'm going to install 6 2TB WD Caviar Green drives in RAID0+1 via PCI-SATA-Controllers.

It's going to be the King of the G4 home servers.

OrganMusic
Aug 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
G4 cube, radeon 7000, 10.5.8.

I did a little scanning the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how well my scanner works on usb1 and how well Photoshop elements 6 runs.

Stinkysteve
Aug 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
G4 400 Sawtooth, I filled the ram slots with memory from abandoned computers on garbage days. I use this mostly for old OS9 apps and iTunes.

iBook G4 800 for something to take out of the house.

Performa 6250 CD, I installed a TV tuner I found on eBay and an ethernet card. Have not started it up in about a year, it's about time....

I also have an Apple II Woz edition I have to get out of the closet soon.

Intell
Aug 3, 2010, 08:48 PM
Performa 6250 CD, I installed a TV tuner I found on eBay and an ethernet card.

The Performa 6200 series with a TV tuner and the video in board is amazing for TV purposes. I start mine up from the ram disk and use an old Sony remote to watch TV on some massive 22" CRT I found in a dumpster. Love it.

GyroFX
Aug 4, 2010, 02:49 AM
a quicksilver dual 1ghz G4 tower. It'll survived longer than my G5 Quad will since the G5 is having thermal runaway issues...

ZAPPAR
Aug 31, 2010, 01:00 AM
G3 333 (Gossamer Beige) Mini-Tower, 1 GHz Sonnet Processor, Sonnet SATA PCI Card, 2 - 250 GB Hitachi HD's (No Partition Limit), Sonnet USB/FW Card, ATI Radeon 9200 / 128MB Video Card, 756 MB RAM, OS 10.4.11

It runs like a top, but it can't operate the $1300 wide format printer & scanner I bought along with it in 1997. Epson Stopped Supporting those in 2001. :cool:

MaxUbiquitous
Aug 31, 2010, 01:05 AM

A photo:

way nicer than the stock bw's..

Time Clock
Aug 31, 2010, 01:25 AM
I have a Performa 5200. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a road apple, but I have fond memories of the thing: accessing the internet for the first time through AOL on a painfully slow dial-up connection, Descent 1 with a joystick, those awesome Mac Addict demo disks, playing A-10 Attack! and crashing purposefully to see the plane explode, parents banging on the keyboard trying to finish science fair projects at 11:00pm the night before:D... I actually miss the good old days; it was much simpler back then and being an Apple fan ignited a passion within my 6th grade self that I simply lack now.

AlphaDogg
Aug 31, 2010, 01:26 AM
iMac G3 333MHz, Grape model. 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD.

raysfan81
Aug 31, 2010, 06:49 PM
400mhz Sawtooth. Boring, I know. :D

SkyBell
Aug 31, 2010, 10:35 PM
I've got an original Rev. A iMac G3(In Bondi Blue, of course ;)) But its power supply died sometime last year, so I suppose it doesn't count in this thread.

And that would make my oldest my Lime Rev. C iMac G3 followed by my Blueberry clamshell iBook G3.

headset
Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've got some old working classic macs but my oldest powerpc mac is a 7100/80. I think my mom bought it when I was in 3rd grade. I think I booted it when I was home a few months ago. It was succeeded by a snow imac g3 500mhz which is also still running...

Thermonuclear
Sep 1, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've got a 7500 PowerMac, circa 1995. Eight years ago it got a 500 MHz G3 processor card and is now running Mac OS/X 10.2 Jaguar. It's booted about twice a month to hold backup files.

But it takes up a lot of space and will likely be headed to an Apple Store soon to go into the recycling bin.

sysiphus
Oct 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
Dual 500MHz G4 tower. Typing this on it right now. A little slow, but if I were going to use it on a regular basis, I'd throw in a gig or two of RAM and I bet it'd be fine (only half a gig in there now).

SuperJudge
Oct 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
It had been a Graphite iMac DV, but the hard drive died on it and now it won't boot from its optical drive for some reason. I'll get around to getting it up and running soon.

Currently it's a dual-USB 500MHz G3 iBook, running Tiger and used mostly for testing purposes, but it will get up to something else eventually since I managed to swap in a new 120GB HD in it a few weeks back. Just need to get an Airport card in it first.

GeekOFComedy
Oct 2, 2010, 04:30 PM
iBook G3 Clamshell.

Hallivand
Oct 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
1999 Power Mac G4/400 AGP with 320 megs ram. Yeah, for like three years it was my first and only desktop mac, running Panther too. I was and still am amazed at what I could do with it, hell I could watch AVI's on vlc and south park eps on quicktime with iTunes and a few tabs of tech sites open. Alas now after my G5 purchase (AU$350 off eBay :D) its a permanent Tiger print/file server. 11.5 years strong. Although in the past three years it tried to die on me, after numerous reboots it'd just spontaneously come to life. Easier to just not shut it off. Enough ranting, my G5 is blowing a gale through my mind.

bizzle
Oct 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
The oldest I have now is a 400mhz Pismo. I had a 7200 and 7300 but I gave them away recently.

Other PPC Macs I have are:
iBook G4 14" 1.33ghz
PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 15" (1.5/1.67 model)
PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 15" (Double-layer SD model)
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver Dual 1ghz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver Dual 800mhz
PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Door Dual 1.42 ghz (overclocked to 1.58)
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8ghz (Late 2004 model)

XaPHER
Oct 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
I own own one of the 3 oldest ppc-based machines. It is a 7100/80 in a case from a centris 650.
I have a G4 DA too.

EricJD
Oct 14, 2010, 04:41 AM
I have a 400 MHz iMac G3 and an 867 MHz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.

Creative One
Oct 14, 2010, 05:36 AM
Two Cubes. 500 MHz

stuntmaster
Oct 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just the one Graphite G4 Gigabite Powermac.

plugged into a belkin omniview USB KVM (keyboard plugged into other devices and a mouse jammed into the USB keyboard port to stop the effing omniview beeping)

Omniview flips between the mac and a win7 machine (win 7 machine has mac keyboard layout installed extra keys dead but works)

The mac, is connected to an akura 24" HD screen in 1920x1080 res, initially it had issues with overscan but DisplayConfigX cured it. Performance is as good as when I had it in 1280x1024.

Ram is at 1GB but im looking to get it to 2GB. A friend gave me a radeon 9700Pro (it's a 9800 but with some pipelines disabled but mac flash re opens those) flashed to a 9800 Pro Mac, and is running fine. Tiger successfully reports both quartz extreme and core image as supported. It has only 1 Hard disk the stock 30GB (looking to replace that). The drive is a PC based DVD-RW enabled via patchburn.

Also I use a wheelmouse optical with the mac driver in. and to pair with the mac, it came with finalcut Pro HD (I think its ver 4) and I bagged a lovely migila Directors cut scart Ver1. right out the box for mac usage.

Performs well except a few odd behaviours. upon start up the screen shows nothing, if I press reset on the front then it'll reboot and the display kicks in, it never used to do that. Also when starting up the disc tray opens and closes spontaneously just the once.

Apart from that it works spot on, I love it. looking to acquire more macs. around the G4/G3.

stuntmaster
Oct 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1260/desktopvb.th.png (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/desktopvb.png/)

click image for Full screen

and below is the about mac screen

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4851/aboutny.png

And system profiler...

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2661/picture3jo.png

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8484/picture4ej.png

chrismacguy
Oct 17, 2010, 10:16 AM
Currently: iBook G3/300 in Original Configuration (never been touched or upgraded really, still in OS 9)
Maybe, perhaps, eventually one day: PowerMac 6100/66: The Machine that started it all :D

raysfan81
Oct 17, 2010, 09:21 PM
click image for Full screen

and below is the about mac screen

And system profiler...

Got a link for that wallpaper? Its amazing!

leekohler
Oct 18, 2010, 11:24 AM
Mine is a 2.0 dual core Power Mac G5. 8 gigs of RAM (soon to be 16), 7200 RPM 500 gig HDD and 160 gig HDD, 256 Radeon x1900. I love it, it's not going anywhere soon. When it is no longer viable as my main computer, I will use it as a server. Not sure what I'll do for my next tower. No way will I pay for a new Mac Pro. I may get a used one or go hackintosh. But as long as this G5 edits HD video as well as it does now, who cares? That's what I'm doing with it for the most part these days.

I have a 2.4 MacBook to keep up with current web browsers, CS 5 and such.

PantherJeep
Oct 19, 2010, 05:39 PM
Until recently I had a Powerbook G3 "Lombard", but it finally gave up the ghost. It was preceded in death by my loyal old 6100/66. Now my oldest working PPC Mac is my little 12" G3 iBook dual-USB. It doesn't do much these days, but makes for an OK email station and ssh terminal. :)

On the 68k side, I have a Powerbook Duo 270c (68030/33, 8MB) that still boots and runs Office 4.2.1, Netscape Navigator (I have an external PDS Ethernet adapter from, I think, Newer Technology), Eudora (!!) and some other oddball apps. It's really just a conversation piece at this point, but it's fun to open it up and demonstrate Office in 8MB of memory. :D I want to say it's got OS 7.6.1 on it, but it might be 7.5.something (been a while since I started it up).

If I remember, I'll post a pic of the two "old soldiers" up and running together. :)

I also have a couple iMac DV's floating around in my storage unit (one red, one purple), but no idea if either works anymore. There's an olive iMac DV in the cubicle across from me at work, but I have no idea if it works either.

stuntmaster
Oct 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
Got a link for that wallpaper? Its amazing!

sure.

Click Here 1920 x 1200 res (http://blog.blakeperdue.com/images/wallpapers/apple2.jpg)

leaopard like

although not mine, I could crop it down for other resolutions if needed.

Trusty G4, best buy I made for 2010.... got a B&W G3 on watch, a mate says that if it works I can have it. Too right! needs a good home. might make a nice lil wordprocessor that.

dmr727
Oct 19, 2010, 06:19 PM
My oldest PPC is a WGS 9150 at 80MHz. It's a beast!

raysfan81
Oct 19, 2010, 06:33 PM
sure.

Click Here 1920 x 1200 res (http://blog.blakeperdue.com/images/wallpapers/apple2.jpg)

leaopard like

although not mine, I could crop it down for other resolutions if needed.

Trusty G4, best buy I made for 2010.... got a B&W G3 on watch, a mate says that if it works I can have it. Too right! needs a good home. might make a nice lil wordprocessor that.

Thanks! Good luck with the G3.

bibi2205
Oct 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
Here's mine:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8035444/PowerMacG4/IMG_0272th.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8035444/PowerMacG4/IMG_0272.jpg)
PowerMac G4 400Mhz, 896Mb ram, 120 + 80Gb HDD, OS X Tiger.

I don't use it often, but it's currently used for data recovery at work.
The system to the right is my Hackintosh, and in the reflection of the G4 you can see the iMac G5 from my signature.

PantherJeep
Oct 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
Here's a pic of my two oldest surviving Macs, my 12" iBook G3 (PPC 750fx@700MHz, 640MB RAM, 120GB HDD, DVD/CD-R combo upgrade) and my PowerBook Duo 270c (68030@33MHz, 8MB RAM, 240MB HDD, NewerTech 10Base-T PDS adapter). As you can see, and as expected, Netscape Navigator 3.0.1 on the 270c doesn't really display MacRumors quite right (no Java, had to close about 8 Java error windows)...

The Duo 270c was in fact my very first laptop, and has outlasted every other laptop I've owned since, except my current Macbook Pro and this iBook, from any manufacturer. :)

Epsilon88
Oct 23, 2010, 01:06 AM
IBOOK 12", circa 2004. :apple:

MattA
Oct 23, 2010, 07:25 AM
I purchased an iBook G3 in 2003 that I used pretty much exclusively for around 3 years. It was plagued with the bad logic board issues, and Apple replaced the board 5 times. On the 6th time, the repair program was up, and I implored to them that it wasn't a matter of if the logic board would fail again, it was a matter of when.

They replaced it with an iBook G4.

I still use it as my primary laptop, though I'd like something a little faster.

My wife has a 12" Powerbook G4 867 that she still uses occasionally. It is in mint condition. The thing looks brand new. Gotta love that aluminum!

Graeme43
Oct 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have a rev a iBook G3 that has led a flawless life :D no logic board issues at all! I don't even know if its even ever crashed lol :p

d4nn0
Oct 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm using my first mac right now, a 2004 PowerBook G4. She's had a few issues through her lifetime, including

Sony battery recall (had an actual defective one, bust its casing and everything!)
Original power cord caught on fire
Keyboard got water spilled on it
Fan is a little rattle-y.. need to take'r apart and clean that up

But, still works great! Even runs Leopard quite well. Gonna become my new "Apple TV" :D

wirelessmacuser
Oct 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have a few, so I'm going to post my absolute favorite.

It's my Nov 2002, 1.0 GHz G4 PowerBook. I bought it new in Nov 2002 when it was released, the first Apple I bought from an Apple store.

Still runs and looks great today.

BigDukeSix
Oct 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
How many of you still use your old Apple's on a daily basis?

Intell
Oct 23, 2010, 06:31 PM

I use my old G3 iMac and Powerbook G4 almost daily.

mrsir2009
Oct 23, 2010, 08:29 PM

I use my iBook weeky :D

Epsilon88
Oct 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
I use my iBook once every few days.

Brien
Oct 24, 2010, 12:33 AM
I have a dual 450MHz PowerMac G4. The original Studio Display took a crap about a year ago, but other than a hard drive replacement and a broken hinge/retaining clip for the side latch the thing is still going strong.

All of these old Macs are making me feel nostalgic.

BigDukeSix
Oct 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
I drug out my PowerBook G3 and fired it up. It still works, I don't really use it for anything, but it is fun to see it again. The Lombard version had the absolute best keyboard of any of the laptops.

XaPHER
Oct 25, 2010, 11:07 AM
Centris 650(power macintosh 7100 motherboard inside)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs472.ash2/74566_164854013533324_100000261799253_456058_1963271_n.jpg
I still use this one every weeks, but i work with a powermac g4 (digital audi0) 466 mhz

henry999
Oct 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
Centris 650(power macintosh 7100 motherboard inside)I can beat this. I have a Power Macintosh C650.

'Huh?!?', I can hear everybody asking. 'What's that?!?'

The Centris and Quadra models, the last of the 68040 machines (1993), had a Processor Direct Slot (PDS) on the mobo. When Apple switched to PPC (1994), they came out with an 'Upgrade Kit' which consisted of a PPC 601 chip on a card that plugged into the PDS. Installing that card transformed the C or Q into a PM.

Clock speed was double of that of the '040.

cheers,

Henry

bizzle
Oct 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
I know this isn't PPC but I just obtained a PowerBook 190cs. Works fine other than the battery.

XaPHER
Oct 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
I can beat this. I have a Power Macintosh C650.

Nice, i searched this card long time ago. But it is said that '040 runs 2x faster than the clock speed we can see. I find this weird, but i heard it many times. So, this is not absolutely false.

To make my 7100 a little faster (...), I've put a crescendo G3 in his pds.

mrsir2009
Oct 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
I've always wondered, do you guys use the internet on Mac OS9?

XaPHER
Oct 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
I use it sometimes, when i boot on OS 9. The scroll bar is a bit slow, but it works.

Nameci
Oct 29, 2010, 11:39 PM
PowerMac G4 "Yikes!", still on original ATI vid card, k/b and mouse.

mrsir2009
Oct 30, 2010, 02:39 AM
I'm on the white iBook G3 now. With a Cassilla browser and Mac OS9 the internet isn't too bad. Its served me well for the past five years :D

dryjoy
Oct 30, 2010, 03:32 AM
My oldest Mac is a 400 MHz G4 Sawtooth. Still boots fine, into OS9.

My parents house, however, is something of a Mac museum - they have 2 x Bondi Blue G3 iMacs, a Mac LC and a Mac Plus. They all still boot as far as I am aware. They also have the first Intel iMac (the white plastic one, 1.8 GHz Core Duo?) and a recent Aluminium iMac.

Barnz63
Oct 31, 2010, 09:17 PM
My oldest is a Beige Powermac G3 266 mhz. Saved 4 of them from a local business. Use it weekly. Running OS 9.2. I used one just like it when I started working for a newspaper in the graphics dept. about 6 years ago.

I also have a Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" 292 mhz running OS 9.2. Use it several times a week as a journal keeper and for creative writing. I love the keyboard on it.

AlphaDogg
Nov 1, 2010, 05:36 PM
I have 2 1999 iMac g3 333mhz's. One is Bondi Blue and the other is Grape. The bondi has 512mb of ram and the Grape has 96mb of ram. The Bondi has a 40gb hdd and the grape has a 6gb hdd. Other than the ram and HDD's they have the same specs.

mrsir2009
Nov 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
My oldest is a 1990 Mac Classic. Geez, it'd also have a mid 90s Preforma too if I didn't get rid of it 5 yrs ago :(

DewGuy1999
Nov 1, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have 2 1999 iMac g3 333mhz's. One is Bondi Blue and the other is Grape. The bondi has 512mb of ram and the Grape has 96mb of ram. The Bondi has a 40gb hdd and the grape has a 6gb hdd. Other than the ram and HDD's they have the same specs.

FYI: A "blue" 333 MHz iMac is technically "blueberry" not "bondi blue". The "bondi blue" iMac was only 233 MHz and was discontinued on January 5, 1999 when the fruit colors (lime, strawberry, blueberry, grape, and tangerine) were introduced starting at 266 MHz. ;)

TheAngryKiwi
Nov 6, 2010, 02:49 PM

It is amazing to have an experience like this and realise just how quick older machines can still be, and how state of the art they once were. Heck, ask my Dad, who wrote his MBA thesis back in 1992 on his then brand new PowerBook 145. The thing flew and had a good battery life. 4MB RAM, 20MB Hard drive, you gotta love it :P

My oldest living PPC Mac is my only PPC Mac. Alongside my MacBook and iMac, I have a Rev.B 333MHz Grape iMac G3.

hazza.jockel
Nov 7, 2010, 06:02 AM
My oldest is a Power Mac G4 (400mhz AGP graphics) running OS 9.something. I also have another Power Mac (466mhz digital audio) with 10.4.something on it. I rarely use them but have booted them both recently to check they work.

I also have a non-working G3 Power Mac (300mhz B+W). Currently the case is empty but i have all the parts if i ever wanted to put it back together. It is currently being used in conjunction with the AGP power mac as my bedside table.

I also have a G4 iMac (800mhz 15"), which my brother currently uses.

I didn't own any of them from the beginning of their life.

longwood
Nov 7, 2010, 08:15 AM
Everything I have is in my signature - the oldest being the iMac followed by the PowerBook. Although I will soon be adding a 17" 1Ghz PowerBook to the collection which will be the oldest.

heidintrans
Nov 7, 2010, 02:04 PM
This is the forum for posting your oldest, still-working PowerPC-based Mac! It's OK if it has a couple minor issues (dead FireWire or USB ports, non-working CD drive, e.t.c), just as long as it boots!

This is mine:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/IBook_G3_M6497_J.jpg/800px-IBook_G3_M6497_J.jpg
iBook G3 (Dual-USB, Late 2001) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#iBook_G3_Dual_USB_.2812.1.22_and_14.1.22.29)

At least MINE is a g4!

heidintrans
Nov 7, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have a G4 ibook 1.33GHz w/1.5 GB that has been able to download and use stand-alone adobe cs4 software adequately.
I CANNOT find additional upgrades to the cs3 basics to cs4 I have left over.
It is a nightmare. Does anyone have a secret to finding a place for me to get it?
I cannot afford newer stuff right now in order to acquire CS5.
(I guess it's hopeless to try that on my computer, but I was not supposed to be able to get cs4, either).
I have looked EVERYWHERE. I hate Adobe. :apple:rules!

Macdctr
Nov 8, 2010, 08:41 AM
I have a few very old Powerbooks which are still operational.

PowerBook 3400c/240
PowerBook G3 "Kanga" - the first G3 PowerBook
PowerBook "Pismo"
PowerMac 8500/180

Although all three PowerBooks are functional, I still use my "Pismo" from time to time for Internet surfing. It's been upgraded to 1GB Ram/G4 550MHz processor/120GB HDD. It still does an adequate job.

I still have my very first Macintosh computer, an SE/30 which still works too! :apple:

Today I use the following computers:
- Mac Pro 3.0Ghz Quad
- PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz (file server)
- MacBook Pro 15" (First Gen)
- MacBook White 2.4Ghz
- MacBook Air (2010)
- 64Gb iPad
- iPhone4

Quicksilver2001
Nov 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
A Performa 6400/200 (back when Macs were beige, before Steve Jobs came back and revolutionized everything). I almost gave up on it and threw away the front cover in despair, but the rest of it is there and works (save the PRAM battery, which did go dead in storage. It's got a video input card allowing a VCR, analog video camcorder, and even a cable box (darned analog-to-digital conversion ruined direct cable input though).

It's got the System 7.5.3 install on one 6GB hard disk with a 3GB partition available, out of a dead older Mac (with Apple ROMs at that) plus another hard disk with 8.6 (same thing down to the Apple ROMs here too.)

The 6400 in question has After Dark 10th Anniversary Edition loaded on both hard disks, so I can have flying toasters on my one compatible (both hardware and software-wise) Mac.

I love it and wouldn't sell it for anything, as it is the perfect Mac for our kitchen...

Thanks so much and have a great day all!

joepunk
Nov 21, 2010, 12:44 AM
Anyone think it is worth $19+shipping to buy a Powerbook Duo 230? I don't know what exactly I would use it for. Maybe play some really old games. It doesn't come with the Dock system so I know I am very limited in ports/floppy.

Yaris
Nov 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
Here's a picture of my setup with my G4 Mac mini when it was pretty much new: :)

Graeme43
Nov 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
lol my mom has a 1.25 G4 mini with 512mb ram and i fitted a 5400rpm 160gb hd (the 40gb 4200 standard was terrible!!) in it and its mainly used for web but it still seem to lag a bit sometimes :( :confused: maybe its cuz i use a mac pro lol but it seemed snappy on 10.3 like 5 years ago tho lol

boogers
Nov 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
No photo. A B&W 450MHZ PCI with FreeBSD SNAPSHOT-9 still on it.

George Jetson
Nov 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
Here's mine.

chrismacguy
Nov 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
Mine has just got older... My current oldest living PowerPC Mac (with an original battery no less, that somehow gives me 2hrs of battery life :eek: ) is my PowerBook 1400c/166 (The fast one) - its brilliant :D

XaPHER
Nov 22, 2010, 03:25 PM
Here's mine.

Which video card? HM VRAM?(if i doesn't already know)

George Jetson
Nov 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
Which video card? HM VRAM?(if i doesn't already know)

I bought a few extra PPC's for backup parts from a company which was upgrading, stuffed all the available video cards in one computer to see what would happen, and got this result. Original PPC 7100 had 1 video out and a PDS video card. That gave me one DB-15 and one HDI-45 output. The additional video card fit in the NuBus slot giving me the third monitor. SuperVideo 3.0 software on one machine automatically took care of everything else except for the relative monitor placement. Software looks like I could have up to 9 monitors if I had the slots for the cards.

macgeek18
Nov 23, 2010, 12:33 PM
iMac G4 800Mhz,768MB RAM,60GB HD NVIDEA Geforce2 MX.10.4.11 :D

papabill
Nov 25, 2010, 07:42 AM
I have a beat-up old model M7628LL/A (SawTooth AGP), 1Gb RAM, a 20Gb and a 6Gb hard drives (I installed the 6Gb from an old G3 I just gutted).

It's running 10.4.11, and has a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video card w/VGA and ADC. Unfortunately, the logic board does not have the necessary connector to supply power to the ADC port, so I'm having to run a Compaq 1720 (flat screen).

I also have a G3 iMac Grape (original equipment) running 10.2.8.

It's amazing what us dumb noobs will buy just to get started with Mac.

tom vilsack
Nov 28, 2010, 04:54 AM
using for this post

12"ibook G3 600/384 mem/20 gig hd/cd/airport...tiger 10.4.11 (carbon copied image from my G4 ibook via usb stick....3hr latter-forgot G3 usb 1.1-) lots of tweaks to make faster,and running camino

for simple web browsing it's not half bad (camino with flash and adverts turned off)...mactubes for utube

just did a geekbench...ooo a screaming 306

Dave H
Nov 28, 2010, 07:49 PM
My current computer for 6 years now.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/sneezeguard/a.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/sneezeguard/Picture4.jpg

stroked
Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
This is one that I helped a friend with. It isn't the oldest, but it's the most redneck.

G4 from Ebay $75 after shipping
Airport from Ebay $20
Dell monitor from Craigslist $45
mouse, keyboard, 2nd HDD, and extra ram from junk room
Dewalt from the back of my truck

onlymybiribiri
Nov 28, 2010, 10:13 PM
I am too lazy to go take a picture but it is a 1995(I think) Macintosh Plus running OS 6, it is the one with the floppy drive. I am not sure if it is power PC or not. If it isn't then my oldest would be an old black laptop running OS 7.2, I don't know the specs of it off the top of my head.

tom vilsack
Nov 29, 2010, 06:46 PM
added pics:

ibook (A1005 16vram) G3 600/384 mem/20 gig hd

apps running in pics
-macvide (flash vid dl using mactubes)
-seashore (simple gimp like image editor)
-camino (web browser)

http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=184
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=183
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=182
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=181

dennyhenderson
Dec 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
First post here. Hello all!

The oldest one I still use is an 8500 with an upgraded Daughter card, OS 9.22.

At one time it had the original OSX beta installed.
It does a fine job converting Vinyl to Digital format for burning to CD's.

The oldest, not a powerMac is a IIci with an older version of bsd.
Not much use these days, since all those tools are now available on my G4 powerbook.

iMacC2D
Dec 5, 2010, 10:35 AM
I used to have a ton of these machines going back as far as the 6400 for PowerPCs. I still have a 512Ke that's running (reconditioned power supply) for 68ks.

I have a Power Mac G3 Beige Minitower here that overall still works, but isn't running at the moment since I still have to reassemble it. It's a decent enough system, 100GB of SCSI attached storage, 40GB on IDE, 233MHz G3 processor (was 266MHz, stuffed around with the jumper block though), 384MB RAM, a Wings AV Personality Card, a FireWire 400 Card and a USB 1.1 card. Runs Mac OS 8.6.

My oldest running PowerPC system at this very second is my iMac G3 Special Edition. 600MHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 Ultra 16MB Graphics, AirPort card, running Mac OS 9.2.2. I'm the second owner of this machine, the first being a school that I attended and subsequently worked with for a short time. It was my main machine from 2004 to 2006, ran like a champion that entire time before the CRT began to dim and flicker as it got older. Since then i've had the Power/Analog/Video board replaced with a replacement part, cleaned up the inside of the machine, bumped the HDD and RAM specs, replaced the school student-damaged speakers and polished up the Graphite plastics. Now it just needs the foot/stand replaced (since it has minor cracks in it) and it'll be in A1 showroom condition.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5406/img0373swm.jpg

MultiFinder17
Dec 5, 2010, 01:37 PM
Oldest PPC mac around here is my trusty old 6500/225. Great machine - 225MHz 603e, 64MB RAM, 3GB HDD, System 9.1. Has a great speaker in it that makes the startup chime rattle the walls :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/fad2cw.jpg

joepunk
Jan 3, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oldest PPC mac around here is my trusty old 6500/225.

I have always like the looks of those.

mulo
Jan 3, 2011, 08:38 PM
i'm impressed, my only ppc mac is a powermac dual G5, currently using it as a server, OpenVPN HTTP SMB AFP PPTP L2TP and so forth.

iDutchman
Jan 4, 2011, 03:47 AM
iMac G4:

Born: April 2002
CPU: 700Mhz
HD: 500GB WD Caviar Blue <-- Original 40GB Maxtor (still working)
RAM: 1GB
Use: Nothing much really. Just being pretty.

Its in perfect condition. As white as it can be.
Despite it's age and all, the iMac can still be used for playing simple videos or browsing the web in general. Playing music, syncing (old) iPod. and such.

87vert
Jan 4, 2011, 07:54 AM
I have a powerpc G3 (M6503F/A) Mac Desktop (boots but shuts off after about 15 minutes)

and a Macintosh SE that works fine.

Both are on my desk at work.

Transporteur
Jan 4, 2011, 08:59 AM
iMac G4:

I want one too! Unfortunately they are really rare on ebay, especially the 20" versions with a little more CPU power. :(

iDutchman
Jan 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
I want one too! Unfortunately they are really rare on ebay, especially the 20" versions with a little more CPU power. :(

Yeah. I always wanted one. I bought this one 1 month ago. It was just a bargain. 70 EU's. I had to. Despite it's little CPU juice and the fact it has USB 1.1 and only CD R/W. I maxed it out. Runs fine. Happy as a child.

Transporteur
Jan 4, 2011, 11:38 AM
50€ is a good price for that thing.
It's really hard to justify the 200 or 300€ for those things on ebay considering of what they are capable of today, but for 50€ I wouldn't hesitate a second. They just look too nice to end up on a dump.

masterjedi73
Jan 4, 2011, 06:24 PM
I just got a PowerBook 5300cs from craigslist today. Works very well, minus the battery which doesn't hold a charge.

Now...what do I do with it? Lol

tom vilsack
Jan 5, 2011, 02:01 AM
I just got a PowerBook 5300cs from craigslist today. Works very well, minus the battery which doesn't hold a charge.

Now...what do I do with it? Lol

take it to starbucks and search for a modem plug ;-)

crammedberry
Jan 5, 2011, 08:33 AM
iBook G3 500MHz 576MB 10GB... 10 years and still strong... haha

masterjedi73
Jan 5, 2011, 03:10 PM
take it to starbucks and search for a modem plug ;-)

Ha! Totally.

lythium
Jan 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
This has been on my desk working flawlessly for a very very long time.

Hrududu
Jan 5, 2011, 04:51 PM
Oldest PPC mac around here is my trusty old 6500/225. Great machine - 225MHz 603e, 64MB RAM, 3GB HDD, System 9.1. Has a great speaker in it that makes the startup chime rattle the walls :D

I've got the Performa 6400 version of that Mac and i agree about the sound. The built in woofer really makes it the best internal speakers on a Mac.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 5, 2011, 04:55 PM
My PowerMac 6100/66 is still operational, though it's currently in storage back east. I don't plan on getting rid of it though. My next oldest operational machine would be my Lime iMac G3. Still works, though only about a third of the parts in it are original as a result of a few big hardware failures.

Strimkind
Jan 6, 2011, 12:54 AM
The oldest working PPC computer I have is a Powerbook 5300c with 64MB RAM. For its age its in pretty good condition with a semi-working battery. I also have a 1400, a 3400, and 2 2300s in working order but I believe the 5300 was the first.

Yaboze
Jan 6, 2011, 10:00 AM
I have a iBook G3 14" with an Airport Card (installed under keyboard back in the day), fully working. It has 640MB and is 700Mhz and a 30GB HD I believe.

I'd still use it for browsing and stuff but any kind of flash just brings it to it's knees. :(

crammedberry
Jan 6, 2011, 01:34 PM
I have a iBook G3 14" with an Airport Card (installed under keyboard back in the day), fully working. It has 640MB and is 700Mhz and a 30GB HD I believe.

I'd still use it for browsing and stuff but any kind of flash just brings it to it's knees. :(

You should give clicktoflash (http://clicktoflash.com/) a try... it gave my iBook an extension on life...

chrismacguy
Jan 8, 2011, 05:31 AM
My oldest is now probably my 8100/100 - amazing machine for the time, even if by todays standards its below the lowend into the just plain 'ol slow...still, I guess I can use it as a main machine still with some effort :cool:

henry999
Jan 9, 2011, 03:16 AM
Macintosh Plus running OS 6... I am not sure if it is power PC or not.Erm ... no.

cheers,

Henry

henry999
Jan 9, 2011, 03:34 AM
This has been on my desk working flawlessly for a very very long time.heh heh. You must be a very very young person. :)

I can't tell which version of the 'lampshade' iMac this is, but if I read the information correctly the first model was introduced in January of 2002 and the last one was discontinued in July of 2004. So, at max, yours is nine years old. Very very what? :)

cheers,

Henry

macgeek18
Jan 11, 2011, 11:39 PM

I used my G4 iMac almost everyday till I just finally moved my better PM G4 to my desk. It will get used more now than sitting in the corner.

Corbin052198
Jan 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
OMG I can't believe this thread is still going....

....Awsome!

iBook G3 500MHz 576MB 10GB... 10 years and still strong... haha

My iBook's hinge broke about 2 months ago. :mad::( I figured, "What to I have to lose?" So I installed Ubuntu linux 10.04 LTS on it and it rocks!!! I so recommend trying it on the CD for any PPC Mac user. I later upgraded it to Ubuntu 10.10.

This has been on my desk working flawlessly for a very very long time.

I also own an iMac G4, wish the Intel iMacs were more like them...

I used my G4 iMac almost everyday till I just finally moved my better PM G4 to my desk. It will get used more now than sitting in the corner.

My dad owns all of the New World PowerMacs (G3, G4, G5). He was going to get the Mac Pro, but holy crap it's expensive. He got a 27' iMac instead. :)

Corbin052198
Jan 12, 2011, 07:53 PM

http://i54.tinypic.com/fad2cw.jpg

Wow. Floppy AND PowerPC logo. And Snow White, may I add. :D

Lord Blackadder
Jan 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
My dad owns all of the New World PowerMacs (G3, G4, G5). He was going to get the Mac Pro, but holy crap it's expensive. He got a 27' iMac instead. :)

I have a handful of G3s and 2 G4 Macs, but I don't think I'll ever own a G5.

Hilariously, the fastest CPU I've ever owned is the little 1.6Ghz Atom in my EeePC netbook. My next machine will be a new Mac of some sort, so I will have finally graduated from the PowerPC over half a decade after Apple did.

chrismacguy
Jan 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
I have a handful of G3s and 2 G4 Macs, but I don't think I'll ever own a G5.

Heh, I thought that, until I realised that in a couple more months (maybe a year), G5s will be incredibly cheap, then I think I may get one as a Server (incredibly powerful for a server for files - the only thing Im not going to have on it and have to get an Intel Server for is Final Cut Server.... (That and the design matches my Pro nicely).

Nameci
Jan 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Perhaps, after a couple of months I could get my dream machine, PowerMac G5 2.3Ghz Dual Core, then by that time my hunger for PPC Macs will be satisfied. Hopefully... :D

ryannel2003
Jan 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
I've owned all kinds of PowerPC machines. My very first Mac ever was a little Bondi Blue iMac which I loved, but was so slow that I never had the chance to really use it. I followed that up with my first OS X Mac, a 1.25GHz eMac. I used that machine for 4 years with no problems at all and it was one of best Mac's I've owned to date. Some people criticized the design but I thought it was quite nice and right before I sold it I loaded it up with 768MB RAM and Leopard. I followed that up with an iBook G4 which was nice but the screen was too small for my liking. Sold that after a few months and haven't owned a PowerPC Mac since... until now. Saw an auction on eBay for a very nice looking 17" 800MHz iMac G4 and I picked it up for $100. Came loaded with Tiger and 256MB RAM, which I'm upgrading ASAP. It's a great machine, though slow compared to my last Mac, a 2GHz Aluminum MacBook. Once I upgrade the RAM it's gonna be a great internet browsing, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. machine. I have always wanted the iMac G4, and it was my best chance to get one for a great price. It had some issues (a few marks on the screen, dirty, etc.) but I still love it more than any computer i've ever owned... and I've owned more than 10.

chrismacguy
Jan 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
but I still love it more than any computer i've ever owned... and I've owned more than 10.

Im looking to get a 20" iMac G4 myself eventually, I think it will look nice as a iTunes playback machine (Im planning on a G5 or late PMG4 as a server).. still wont be as old as my PowerMac 8100 however...

Lord Blackadder
Jan 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
Heh, I thought that, until I realised that in a couple more months (maybe a year), G5s will be incredibly cheap, then I think I may get one as a Server...

See, the idea sounds tempting, but I already have so many old Apple computers (between my Apple IIxx-es, 68k Macs and old PPCs) that if I accumulated any more, my domestic situation would probably deteriorate. ;)

ryannel2003
Jan 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
At the moment that's all my iMac is useful for because it has such a low amount of RAM. With more than one program open the computer really isn't usable. Other than that, it's a gorgeous machine that does everything I want with no fuss. I plan on upgrading to Leopard one day because there are very few programs that support Tiger, let alone PowerPC in general.

chrismacguy
Jan 13, 2011, 04:33 AM
See, the idea sounds tempting, but I already have so many old Apple computers (between my Apple IIxx-es, 68k Macs and old PPCs) that if I accumulated any more, my domestic situation would probably deteriorate. ;)

hahahaha - I think thats the problem well all face. Just remember, if you can get them to use it, even if its just "Oh iTunes and iPods will be so much faster than this" occasionally you can blag yourself "just 1 more" :p

trickyred
Jan 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
hahahaha - I think thats the problem well all face. Just remember, if you can get them to use it, even if its just "Oh iTunes and iPods will be so much faster than this" occasionally you can blag yourself "just 1 more" :p

We are such hoarders!!

I have a 233mhz rev A Bondi Blue iMac, the first mac I owned, but it hasn't been powered up since November 2005, when it was used as the music provider for my wedding reception!! Loaded up with iTunes and a nice pair of speakers and a sub and it worked a treat.

chrismacguy
Jan 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
We are such hoarders!!

I have a 233mhz rev A Bondi Blue iMac, the first mac I owned, but it hasn't been powered up since November 2005, when it was used as the music provider for my wedding reception!! Loaded up with iTunes and a nice pair of speakers and a sub and it worked a treat.

I definitely am.... im gonna get to like 40 before realising Im pushing it and scaling it back xD - and thats awesome that your G3 had a massive last hurrah :D

macgeek18
Jan 13, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm tempted to sell my G4's and get a dual 2.5 or 2.7 PM G5. Just a little more functionality than a G4 these days.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
I'm tempted to sell my G4's and get a dual 2.5 or 2.7 PM G5. Just a little more functionality than a G4 these days.

If you are really thinking about it, do it NOW - the value of the G4 is dropping like a stone these days, because it is unable to use the latest OS. Best to make a little money while you still can.

chrismacguy
Jan 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
If you are really thinking about it, do it NOW - the value of the G4 is dropping like a stone these days, because it is unable to use the latest OS. Best to make a little money while you still can.

AS is the G5. Since it too, cant run the latest OS - personally Im waiting to snag a G5 for 100 quid or so.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 13, 2011, 05:43 PM
AS is the G5. Since it too, cant run the latest OS - personally Im waiting to snag a G5 for 100 quid or so.

True, though most of the G5s can at least handle HD content. The G4's limitations have really increased in the last couple years.

Back in 2005ish when I bought and upgraded a used G4 tower, you could still do just about everything the latest Macs could do, albeit slower. Nowadays that is no nonger the case. And, as you say, the G5s are beginning to hit that same stage. The Intel switch certainly reduced the potential longevity of the G5.

IF I had the space for it (and that's a big if these days) I wouldn't mind having a G5 tower.

chrismacguy
Jan 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
True, though most of the G5s can at least handle HD content. The G4's limitations have really increased in the last couple years.

Back in 2005ish when I bought and upgraded a used G4 tower, you could still do just about everything the latest Macs could do, albeit slower. Nowadays that is no nonger the case. And, as you say, the G5s are beginning to hit that same stage. The Intel switch certainly reduced the potential longevity of the G5.

IF I had the space for it (and that's a big if these days) I wouldn't mind having a G5 tower.

Heh, Im currently in the process of getting a fast Dual G4 purely to run Mac OS 9 (I have a massive amount of classic software) and the price drops recently have really helped (I only got one to replace my G4/450 as its getting rather tired for anything at all... my current plan is a Dual, 10.5 capable MDD - and then a G5 in the future to sit next to my Pro and look cool.... :cool:

Lord Blackadder
Jan 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
Heh, Im currently in the process of getting a fast Dual G4 purely to run Mac OS 9 (I have a massive amount of classic software) and the price drops recently have really helped (I only got one to replace my G4/450 as its getting rather tired for anything at all... my current plan is a Dual, 10.5 capable MDD - and then a G5 in the future to sit next to my Pro and look cool.... :cool:

I still have the G4 in my sig, it was originally a dual 533. I have considered removing the upgrades (including the CPU upgrade) and making it an OS 9 machine as well, though that would mean I'd lose SATA capability, the GeForce 6800 would have to go, and no more USB 2.0. :eek:

Aatos.1
Jan 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
Nov 2002 G4 Titanium PowerBook 1GHz / 1GB / OS X .

chrismacguy
Jan 13, 2011, 06:01 PM
I still have the G4 in my sig, it was originally a dual 533. I have considered removing the upgrades (including the CPU upgrade) and making it an OS 9 machine as well, though that would mean I'd lose SATA capability, the GeForce 6800 would have to go, and no more USB 2.0. :eek:

My G4/450 is staying in original CPU config just as I have more modern Macs for speed (Mac Pro, MacBook and Intel iMac), and its my OS X Torture machine, as well as for Classic Stuff.

icehockey77
Jan 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
My dad's office is running a G3 tower as a server, his secretary is on a g5 imac, and his secondary machine is a 2003 17" powerbook. Until may I was running an '05 ibook 1.4 ghz. in design school. much happier now on my 15" i7 that's for sure!

crammedberry
Jan 13, 2011, 11:23 PM
The iMac G4's really are the most amazing computers apple ever designed... I have one that I still use routinely, the only thing that brings it to it's knees is flash... other than that it's an amazing computer that is very much still useable over 8 years later!

As far as linux... I messed with Debian on my iBook once and never got that far haha... it was a massive headache, I'm sure Ubuntu would be much easier, but for now Tiger seems to be doing pretty well...

If G5's drop to $100 bucks that is definitely a steal, regardless if they run the newest OS or not... G5's are still extremely powerful... especially the Dual and Quad Core PowerMacs... I too, like many of you need to stop grabbing every old mac I see... haha

Corbin052198
Jan 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
The iMac G4's really are the most amazing computers apple ever designed... I have one that I still use routinely, the only thing that brings it to it's knees is flash... other than that it's an amazing computer that is very much still useable over 8 years later!

Death to PPC Flash....

As far as linux... I messed with Debian on my iBook once and never got that far haha... it was a massive headache, I'm sure Ubuntu would be much easier, but for now Tiger seems to be doing pretty well...

I use Ubuntu 10.10 on my iBook G3 and it works like a charm, minus wifi. :p

If G5's drop to $100 bucks that is definitely a steal, regardless if they run the newest OS or not... G5's are still extremely powerful... especially the Dual and Quad Core PowerMacs... I too, like many of you need to stop grabbing every old mac I see... haha

I have said this before and I will say it again:

There will always be PPC Linux...

Irishman
Jan 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
Ah, good times! Threads like this take me back to the beginning of the WWW, the wild west days, etc.

My oldest living Mac is a PowerMac 8600 tower. 225 Mhz 604e processor, 160 MB interleaved RAM, 4 GB SCSI hard drive, ZIP drive built in, 3.5" floppy Drive, 24X CD-ROM drive, aftermarket ATI 7300 32 MB PCI video card (got it for Quake III Arena), Soundblaster LIVE! Mac Edition sound card (got it for Deus Ex 5.1 Surround mix). I added a 4-port IUSB PCI card to it, because it predates USB. still use it for doing Illustrator art. The Mac is temporarily put away for desk space reasons, but she still boots up. I used a hack to make OS X install on her, and I have lived in OS X ever since.

chrismacguy
Jan 14, 2011, 05:43 PM
Ah, good times! Threads like this take me back to the beginning of the WWW, the wild west days, etc.

My oldest living Mac is a PowerMac 8600 tower. 225 Mhz 604e processor, 160 MB interleaved RAM, 4 GB SCSI hard drive, ZIP drive built in, 3.5" floppy Drive, 24X CD-ROM drive, aftermarket ATI 7300 32 MB PCI video card (got it for Quake III Arena), Soundblaster LIVE! Mac Edition sound card (got it for Deus Ex 5.1 Surround mix). I added a 4-port IUSB PCI card to it, because it predates USB. still use it for doing Illustrator art. The Mac is temporarily put away for desk space reasons, but she still boots up. I used a hack to make OS X install on her, and I have lived in OS X ever since.

Nice 8600 :D - My poor 8100 and 8200 both currently have no HDs - damn the scarcity of SCSI HDs... Eventually the 8200 will get a PCI IDE card and then hopefully I can get it all to work hunkydory (120Mhz Internet Browsing anybody?_, but since the 8100 is NuBus I suspect it shall remain HDless till I find another old Mac I can take a SCSI HD out of.... :( - anyone know any good International/UK sources for 50-pin SCSI drives?

tom vilsack
Jan 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
I too, like many of you need to stop grabbing every old mac I see... haha

lol was just doing same thing on craigs

I use Ubuntu 10.10 on my iBook G3 and it works like a charm, minus wifi. :p

maybe last official unbuntu for ppc would get wifi working?

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/6.06.2/

chrismacguy
Jan 15, 2011, 05:03 AM
lol was just doing same thing on craigs

maybe last official unbuntu for ppc would get wifi working?

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/6.06.2/

If it doesnt work in 10.10, I highly doubt it would work under 6.06.2, and even if it did, Ubuntu 6 is too out of date to use full time.

Jony Mac
Jan 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
My PowerBook G4 TiBook
800MHz
1GB Ram
100GB Hard Drive
Airport (Not Extreme)

rickwTX
Jan 26, 2011, 07:32 AM
Still running, OS7.2, still in use.. seriously. I still use it with Illustrator 6 for doing line drawings for instruction manuals. Hooked up to a 22 Mits CRT, it boots fast, runs clean, and for B/W drawings, it's close to perfect. I bought originally with 2.5 megs of ram and a 40 meg HD, stopped upgrading at 64 megs of ram and 400 meg HD, with a sonnet processor upgrade and a video card. I'd never sell this thing.

chrismacguy
Jan 26, 2011, 08:43 AM
Still running, OS7.2, still in use..

Im assuming you mean 7.5 (Since there isnt a 7.2 release) - nice SE/30, although I wouldnt like to use one in place of my Mac Pro they certainly are capable machines for the age.

rickwTX
Jan 26, 2011, 10:02 AM
I used that SE30 daily until Power Computer came out with the PowerTowers, still have one of those in a closet too... my PPC7500... let that one go. I started working in the Apple world on a brand new MacPlus... that dates me.

TEG
Jan 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
I owned an original Bondi Blue iMac for a couple of years, but got rid of it when I left College (no room in my car). My current oldest PPC Mac is my PowerBook G4 500, which is currently used as my dad's laptop. Followed by my PowerBook G4 667 (DVI), which runs my online radio station, but has a dead screen, so I have to VNC into it to do anything. And finally my PowerBook G4 1.33, which is my day-to-day machine.

I also just received a PowerBook 145B from a local thrift store. Technically I was paid 26 cents to take it, and I'm in the process of locating software to make it usable, otherwise it may just end up in storage.

TEG

macgenius09
Jan 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
I've got a performa ppc 6400/180.

It was our first computer. And the first to run internet. xD

coupdetat
Jan 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
I have a Snow iMac G3 that I still use:
-600 mhz
-1 gb RAM
-80 gb 2.5" hard drive (to reduce noise compared to 3.5")
-DVD drive

It's nearing its 10th anniversary and still going strong!!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_S77mhNHTM6o/So9Ti3YcaoI/AAAAAAAAAwg/8EodYJ3bWtE/s640/DSC03514.JPG

macgeek18
Jan 27, 2011, 12:32 PM
I don't know what's older my PowerBook G4 867 TiBook or my iMac G4 800. :D

macgeek18
Jan 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
My PowerBook G4 TiBook
800MHz
1GB Ram
100GB Hard Drive
Airport (Not Extreme)

Nice TiBook. It's really close to the one I just bought. How is the performance on it?

walterwhite
Jan 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
Macintosh SE/30... still boots and runs.

skinniezinho
Jan 27, 2011, 01:50 PM
Powermac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 400MHz
Waiting to flash the Geforce 6200 with "mac rom".Specs on the sig :)

chrismacguy
Jan 27, 2011, 02:37 PM
Mine is my 8100/100 running OS 9.1 - Pics coming soon (Gotta get thru my exams - then Ill hook it up - it might only have 128MB RAM, but back then that was a MASSIVE amount).

henry999
Jan 28, 2011, 01:27 AM
Macintosh SE/30... still boots and runs.Erm ... you're the second one in two days. Last I checked, the SE/30 is not PPC -- the topic of this thread!

Great machine, by the way -- one of Apple's all-time best models. I got one new in August of '89 and it still works.

I bought it with four 256K RAM SIMMs installed and four empty slots. I immediately filled the empty slots with 1MB SIMMs; I still have the receipt -- those 1MB SIMMs cost $200 each.

I ran it with 5MB for a few years and eventually replaced the little boys with 4-megabangers, bringing the total to 20.

cheers,

Henry

Jony Mac
Jan 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
Nice TiBook. It's really close to the one I just bought. How is the performance on it?

Its not that bad at all surprisingly. Firefox seems to get laggy with flash content, and on some websites. Besides that I can't complain.

Mac Hammer Fan
Jan 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
PowerMac G 333 with OWC G4 533 Mhz upgrade.
Sonnet ATA card (Tempo), ATI Radeon 7000 card 64 MB (flashed) and Firewire card.
2x 80 GB HD and 768 MB RAM.
Running 9.2.2 and Panther 10.3.9
http://www.everymac.com/images/cpu_pictures/apple_powermac_g3tower.jpg

non Power PC
Performa 600 with Daystar Turbo 040, PLi Quick SCSI accelerator, Radeon Graphics Card, Ethernet Card
500 MB HD
Running 7.6.1
http://www.everymac.com/images/cpu_pictures/apple_mac_iivx.gif

macgeek18
Jan 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
Its not that bad at all surprisingly. Firefox seems to get laggy with flash content, and on some websites. Besides that I can't complain.

try TenFourFox as a web browser and MacTubes for YouTube and see what you think. Oh don't forget to change mactubes video player from flash to quicktime player. I can now watch youtube with no lag on my 800Mhz iMac. :)

el-John-o
Jan 29, 2011, 01:35 PM
Power Computing PowerTower Pro
250MHz CPU (not even G3)
512MB of RAM (it was used as a workstation, it spans the memory across either 6 or 8 slots, it's been a while, I'll have to crack it open and see)
2.0GB factory HDD + High Speed SCSI 9.0GB HDD (that is the size of four HDD's stacked on top of each other)
Runs OS 9.1
PCI USB Card
Twin Tubo graphics (2MB of Graphics Memory IIRC)

It's been a while since I've used it, but it still boots. Runs fairly quick too. This is exactly as it was when it was new in '99, no upgrades since then with the sole exception of the PCI USB card. It was used by my cousin (A Graphics/Design professional) as a workstation, the massive amount of RAM was for, of course, Graphics software, in addition to using RAM Disks to store files he was working on to make them quicker (A 1999 version of an SSD, ha!)

-John

Tyroler
Feb 1, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bought the G3 B/W from a Recording Studio. 2 of 3 Ram don't work and Button "6" and "C" are missing. Tiger on it and running well. CPU is 300mhz Hd 4 Gb

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/Lovelyperson/images.jpg

Have also
a G4 iMac with Flat Monitor (Lamp design). The Smaller one.Not upgraded at all
a Quicksilver with 1 gb ram
2 Mdd. one with 512 Mb ram and Tiger,and the other 2 Gb ram and Leopard
a iMac G5 17" not working

Jamie37211
Feb 1, 2011, 03:44 PM
My oldest is an iMac G4 800. The screen went kaput, so instead of installing a new screen, I made it dual purpose - iPad stand and function G4 Mac in one! I had it plugged into a 42" LCD at one time. It's running Tiger fairly well, but looked like crap via VGA on that large screen. Currently trying to integrate into my tiny home office.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4735566343_1fd5ff83c2.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4735566145_def905a9b8.jpg

raysfan81
Feb 1, 2011, 06:20 PM
My oldest is an iMac G4 800. The screen went kaput, so instead of installing a new screen, I made it dual purpose - iPad stand and function G4 Mac in one! I had it plugged into a 42" LCD at one time. It's running Tiger fairly well, but looked like crap via VGA on that large screen. Currently trying to integrate into my tiny home office.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4735566343_1fd5ff83c2.jpg

That is the best looking iPad stand........ ever.

Jamie37211
Feb 2, 2011, 09:36 AM
That is the best looking iPad stand........ ever.

Thanks! It took some time, since the "arms" that hold the iPad are actually four metal bookends that I had to bend into place by hand. But, I love the end result, and I feel good about extending the life of an old mac and getting a cool articulating stand at the same time.

I have a PPC Mac Mini that I was given by my father-in-law who is a huge mac lover...heavily involved in two user groups in Memphis, has a "cave" in his house littered with Apple computers. I need to figure out what to do with it...I may look at modding it (cosmetically) and using it as a file server or to run all of my old PPC software (Creative Suite CS2, Macromedia Studio MX, etc.). It'll need a RAM upgrade if I am going to do the latter though - 1gb isn't going to give me the greatest performance for those apps.

Irishman
Feb 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
Nice 8600 :D - My poor 8100 and 8200 both currently have no HDs - damn the scarcity of SCSI HDs... Eventually the 8200 will get a PCI IDE card and then hopefully I can get it all to work hunkydory (120Mhz Internet Browsing anybody?_, but since the 8100 is NuBus I suspect it shall remain HDless till I find another old Mac I can take a SCSI HD out of.... :( - anyone know any good International/UK sources for 50-pin SCSI drives?

I bet you could install a PCI-based USB adapter card for peanuts and then install a USB HD. The data rate would probably be on a par or maybe a tad faster than your SCSI (10 MB/sec, right?)

chrismacguy
Feb 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
I bet you could install a PCI-based USB adapter card for peanuts and then install a USB HD. The data rate would probably be on a par or maybe a tad faster than your SCSI (10 MB/sec, right?)

Shame that will only work for the 8200, since the 8100 has NuBus slots instead of PCI. I want an IDE one, because booting anything pre OSX on Intel off USB is impossible (AFAIK) to persuade to work. I certainly dont think System 7.6 which is what these 2 machines will eventually run can be run off a USB HD (In fact I dont think it even knows that USB exists).

rickvanr
Feb 7, 2011, 01:20 PM
love this thread!

I've got a couple old ones still going

Beige G3 Desktop 233 or 266, basically just for OS9.

Bought a QS G4 733 about a year ago to replace it but haven't got around to playing with it yet, it works with OS X just fine though.

sgfralick90
Feb 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
i have a macintosh performa 6200cd