Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
One of the guys at the Apple store just showed me this site:

http://clamcase.com/

It looks pretty amazing - allowing you to insert the iPad into the lid, it has a bluetooth keyboard and the whole thing appears to be fairly thin, especially if you compare to some of the cases like the inCase folio which is so thick.

I'm not able to find out the price point but did make a suggestion that they offer MacRumors members a discount code once the product is released. Not sure if they'll take me up on my idea but it can't hurt to ask!!

I'm very intrigued by this case for a number of reasons. I like the Apple case for the sleek and thin design, but don't like the material. This case does make the iPad look almost like a laptop when in "keyboard" mode, but the keyboard folds back and is out of the way when you just want to view the iPad alone or standing vertically. It appears that it will be available in a glossy as well as matte black finish plus possibly white and silver.

One of my problems with the Apple bluetooth keyboard is that it turns on so easily. On my last business trip I accidentally left both batteries in and it had turned itself on in my bag and had drained the battery on my iPad to 76% just in the time I was waiting for my flight!!!

So, this Clam Case is very intriguing. I'd love to hear opinions from the group.

Sandy

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Honestly, I love the look. I love the keyboard included. I think it's a cool idea, but I wouldn't buy it. I have a MacBook pro, and when I travel, I like the iPad being less... Macbook like.

Who knows though, seeing on in person may change my mind.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I guess I like the flexibility of using it with this case or just the Apple one where the MBP has only one option.

Ultimately it will come down to how much they'll ask for it and the build quality.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I'm really hoping it turns out as nice as the renderings but it seems doubtful since this company doesn't seem to have a track record to show that they can turn the rendering into a reality. Love the concept though and I'd absolutely buy one if it lives up its potential.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
so it turns it into a macbook that is not a macbook ???

You say this as if they iPad is being transformed into a different device. The point to it is that you can pop the iPad into it when you need to do a ton of typing, as a stand or for protection. If they make it really difficult to insert/remove the device well then that's a different story.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
It looks good as protection while traveling, and for disguising the iPad.

Disguising mine in public when it's not concealed in my backpack is my main issue. This would make it look like a $300 Windows netbook to the unknowing eye, thus making an iPad holder less of a target...I think.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I want my iPad to be an iPad and my Macbook to be a Macbook. I don't see the point in trying to turn the iPad into a notebook/netbook.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Unfortunately, the deal breaker, for me, is that you still can't use a mouse (unless there's some jb way?).

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I want my iPad to be an iPad and my Macbook to be a Macbook. I don't see the point in trying to turn the iPad into a notebook/netbook.

I think you've missed the point or it's simply not a product for you. The iPad will always be an iPad and can always be used as such. This is simply a case that can be used to hold up the iPad, allow for easier/faster typing or just as protection when carrying the device from place to place. The iPad isn't permanently affixed to it. The intention isn't to turn the iPad into a Macbook, it's to make the iPad an even more versatile device.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I think you've missed the point or it's simply not a product for you. The iPad will always be an iPad and can always be used as such. This is simply a case that can be used to hold up the iPad, allow for easier/faster typing or just as protection when carrying the device from place to place. The iPad isn't permanently affixed to it. The intention isn't to turn the iPad into a Macbook, it's to make the iPad an even more versatile device.

Yep - my feelings exactly. As a business traveler, I'm often using the quiet and solitude of the airplane to finish up a presentation or do some writing and as useful as the iPad is, for extensive writing, it's just better to have a real keyboard.

I've been getting by with the Apple bluetooth keyboard but unless you remove the batteries, it turns itself on while in your bag - and it's one more thing to add bulk to my travel bag.

The ClamCase solves both problems - less bulk, and provides a keyboard for the times when I need it. I can envision packing my Apple case in my suitcase and traveling with the Clam Case so that when I don't need the extra protection and keyboard, I'm back in the slim case that I use every day.

From the pricing survey the Clam Case company did online, I'm guessing the pricing will be in the $100-$129 range which is very reasonable.

I'll definitely post if I hear any more information from them.

Sandy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.