PDA

View Full Version : Summer Project.

RaindropDress
Jun 9, 2010, 08:18 PM
I just got 2 old iMac G3... they each has 333MHz. One is lime green and one is blue :) . I want to upgrade them... (both of them). How much would ram be (and what kind)? How much would a HDD be? (and what kind). I'm also wondering if I can put a DVD drive in it(they aren't slotloading).

d88co88
Jun 10, 2010, 04:34 PM
I think the maximum RAM for both of these is either 384 MB or 512 MB unbuffered SDRAM. Ram is pretty cheap, I got mine for about $20. The maximum size hard drive is 128 GB because of the cap that doesn't allow any more. You can find a variety of prices on eBay for those kind of hard drives. Unfortunately, I do not think you can put a DVD drive in since they inly started doing that in the slot loading. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

thebez
Jun 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
You can put 2 256mb so-dimms in the tray load iMacs. You can install any size ATA (not SATA) you want, but the computer will only be able to use 128 gigs. Also, if you use a HD over 128 gigs you may not be able to access the data on the drive if you put it in a newer mac. Whatever size drive you use, you need to make a partition smaller than 8 gigs at the beginning of the drive to install OS X in. The newest version of OS X you can run is 10.3.x. You should be able to install a laptop style DVD drive, but I'm not sure how much luck you are going to have with the faceplate. I'm also not sure if you would actually be able to watch a DVD, as I'm not sure that old of an iMac has the horsepower to pull it off. It's a bit borderline. If you don't mind how it looks, you could use a slot loading drive from a later PowerBook or iBook.