Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Helloooo,

today I got my InvisibleSHIELD back (not front, using PS Anti-glare) and proceeded to put it on.

Installation didn't go very smoothly, but it wasn't catastrophic either...screwed up near the bottom where some black lint from the cloth remains, but there are worse things.

Anyway, take a look at these...are they supposed to disappear in the next few days? I pushed off the most I could (bubbles), but these ones I couldn't.

Please let me know, I'm OCD'ing here lol.

(PS - the pictures were taken with my iSight, not exactly best quality, so there are no scratches, just bubbles like mad.)

photoon20100609at23593.jpg

photoon20100609at23592.jpg

photoon20100609at2359.jpg

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
My experience with applying invisible shield is that it is best to use lots of soapy water. I put a few drops of dishwashing soap into a large bowl, pour in water, foam it up, and then soak the shield in the water. Lay the shield carefully down on the iphone/ipad. You may have to lift it up a few times and re-soak it in the soap solution. Most times I don't squeegee it, just let it dry on its own. Also, do it in your bathroom (dust free as possible).

If you contact invisibleshield they will send you a replacement for free. :)

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Small, very flat bubbles will work itself out over a week, if there are big bubbles (hard to tell from your photos) they won't go away. If that's the case it's better to redo.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Helloooo,

today I got my InvisibleSHIELD back (not front, using PS Anti-glare) and proceeded to put it on.

Installation didn't go very smoothly, but it wasn't catastrophic either...screwed up near the bottom where some black lint from the cloth remains, but there are worse things.

Anyway, take a look at these...are they supposed to disappear in the next few days? I pushed off the most I could (bubbles), but these ones I couldn't.

Please let me know, I'm OCD'ing here lol.

(PS - the pictures were taken with my iSight, not exactly best quality, so there are no scratches, just bubbles like mad.)

photoon20100609at23593.jpg

photoon20100609at23592.jpg

photoon20100609at2359.jpg

Sorry to say, you're hosed.

How much fluid did you use? I go to town with the fluid almost emptying out the bottle.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
:(

I used the entire bottle of fluid.

I just removed it, cut two parts though (one for the Apple logo, one of the "iPad" on the bottom so they don't scratch)...just a temporary solution until I get my new one.

So in the end, the best way is to not use a lot of fluid? Or use a lot of fluid?
robby you said dish soap and water foamed up, but wouldn't there be risk of water damage with that?

Anyway, thanks for your answers...sigh.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto

I just removed it, cut two parts though (one for the Apple logo, one of the "iPad" on the bottom so they don't scratch)...just a temporary solution until I get my new one.

So in the end, the best way is to not use a lot of fluid? Or use a lot of fluid?
robby you said dish soap and water foamed up, but wouldn't there be risk of water damage with that?

Dang, that sucks dude.
Just call Zagg and explain to them your problem and they will likely send you a replacement for free.
Also, watch "how-to" videos on YouTube, there are tons and can be helpful.

I don't know why there are so many bubbles. Give it a good cleaning and maybe use an air can to remove any dust. Dust particles could be removed using the tape method (again, YouTube).

I have an InvisibleShield and Wrapsol, but waiting to go back to Canada and get an iPad so I have been watching videos so I don't screw up.

Good luck and let us know what Zagg says.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007

Put masking tape over the open ports but yeah use lots of soap/water...I don't bother with the little spray bottle because it is not enough fluid and I prefer soaking the shield in the soap water for a minute before applying. The water soaked shield helps you position it correctly and will also reduce the air bubbles.

Another option - My local shopping mall has an invisible shield kiosk. they will apply the film for you and they do a bang up job. I have never watched them do it so not sure what their technique is...

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Hey, did you follow the instruction while installing ?

I did, but they're not very helpful. "apply solution to adhesive while facing up"..."apply to iPad". :p

The video is pretty good.

Dang, that sucks dude.
Just call Zagg and explain to them your problem and they will likely send you a replacement for free.
Also, watch "how-to" videos on YouTube, there are tons and can be helpful.

I don't know why there are so many bubbles. Give it a good cleaning and maybe use an air can to remove any dust. Dust particles could be removed using the tape method (again, YouTube).

I have an InvisibleShield and Wrapsol, but waiting to go back to Canada and get an iPad so I have been watching videos so I don't screw up.

Good luck and let us know what Zagg says.

Unfortunately, Zagg told me they don't cover installation issues and as such, I can't get a new one. :( I went ahead and ordered the Bestskinsever body combo, it cost less than the InvisibleShield and it's of great quality, apparently.

I tried to do what you say, but the minute I removed the shield, it expanded in such a way I couldn't put it back on (it got too stretched out). After that I called up Zagg, then went to their website, got the same answer twice, and ordered the BSE.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I don't blame Zagg for not offering me a new one, I f*cked up, not them.

Put masking tape over the open ports but yeah use lots of soap/water...I don't bother with the little spray bottle because it is not enough fluid and I prefer soaking the shield in the soap water for a minute before applying. The water soaked shield helps you position it correctly and will also reduce the air bubbles.

I'll consider this when I get my BSE (pretty much the same thing as the IS). I'm just worried that if I do this that the water will somehow find its way to the screen edges and damage it/void my warranty (water damage sensor).

Thanks for your help guys, when I get my BSE, I'll try and be more patient/calmer while applying it. I was stressed out while applying the IS, and it bit me in the ass.

Ingram

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
You don't want to soak the shield dripping wet, but you want the adhesive side to be wet all over, the fluid (soapy water or Windex) prevent the adhesive side to stick, so you are able to *glide* the shield on iPad's surface. Once you align the shield, use a squeegee to gently push out the excess fluid and bubbles.

My method to prepare the shield is to pour soapy water/windex into a big shallow dish, dip the shield (adhesive side down), to have a thin layer of fluid coat the adhesive side. You can shake the shield or with wet fingers, wipe out some excess fluid.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
No normal person can install an InvisibleShield perfectly. Most of us have trouble doing it imperfectly.

They will ship you a replacement as a courtesy. Just tell them how much trouble you had.

Your best bet, though, is to take it to the place in the mall. They have abnormal people who know how to do this.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

MORE FLUID!!!

Check this guy out. He makes it look crazy easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPF0EelYHm4

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I've installed about a dozen shield products on various products. I used to buy Invisible Shield but their prices even after 50% off is ridiculous. I'm in Canada so the shipping charge is even more outrageous. I now only buy BestSkinEver and it is identically in every way but much much cheaper.

The key is to use a very fine mist, that's where their spray bottle is helpful. If the water droplets are too big it's harder to squeegee out. It's also very important there's enough soap as that gives you the slippery contact to make it easy to squeegee, I assume you remembered to spray both sides? I don't spray my device as that adds too much liquid.

The minute you finish spraying both sides of the shield and apply to the gadget you have to start working out the bubbles with the plastic card. If you wait, it will stick too much. The amount of bubbles in your photo suggest you didn't make it soapy slippery enough and you didn't squeegee in time so the outsides had adhered before you could push out from the center.

IS will replace if it is, ahem, damaged, but not during install.

There should only be a few flat bubbles when you're done, and those will work out after a week. I've used BSE shields and IS shields on 13" and 15" MacBook Pro's and never had a bubble remain after a week. Just make sure you get the room dust free as per my hint above. Good luck.

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Those are some serious bubbles. You gotta work from one side to the other all the while pushing out the bubbles.

But give it a week or so and most of them should work itself out. Just hope for the best and if not you're in the same position anyway.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Steps to freedom

1. Take a key in your hand.

2. Put the iPad down with the back facing up.

3. Put the key on the iPad.

4. Close your eyes.

5. Scratch your iPad all over with the key for at least 10 seconds.

6. Open your eyes.

Now your iPad is invincible. You are free.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
1. Take a key in your hand.

2. Put the iPad down with the back facing up.

3. Put the key on the iPad.

4. Close your eyes.

5. Scratch your iPad all over with the key for at least 10 seconds.

6. Open your eyes.

Now your iPad is invincible. You are free.

Or you can do that.

Funny my sister did that with my new car. She said, "Might as well get it out of the way." XD

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Or you can do that.

Funny my sister did that with my new car. She said, "Might as well get it out of the way." XD

I don't have to do it because I am using my iPad without worries. If it scratches, it scratches. If the screen scratches, I will throw it out and buy a new one. So I am already free.

It is better to enjoy it and let it scratch than to be so careful with it that it takes away the enjoyment. If there is a way to do both, fine.

A car is the prime example. People are less likely to mess with those cars that are old and all banged up. Those people have nothing to lose. lol

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I don't have to do it because I am using my iPad without worries. If it scratches, it scratches. If the screen scratches, I will throw it out and buy a new one. So I am already free.

It is better to enjoy it and let it scratch than to be so careful with it that it takes away the enjoyment. If there is a way to do both, fine.

A car is the prime example. People are less likely to mess with those cars that are old and all banged up. Those people have nothing to lose. lol

I hear yeah. =)

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
I also do my own invisishield applications in the bathroom, apparently if you fog up the room (run hot water or after shower) there will be less dust particles in the air.
I've applied a few of them on iPhones at work as well (without the foggy room)

You need to be quite methodical when you push the bubbles out, on the iPad I worked from the apple to the centre of one of the short sides, then the other short side. Apple to centre of long side, and other long side, then pushing the bubbles in rows from the centre to the short side until the distance to the corner is the same as the long side, and kinda go from each side so the bubbles in the corner get pushed out evenly. Make sure there are no big bubbles trapped between rows or in the middle as they are hard to get out if the edges have sealed first. Once the big bubbles are stuck you have to hope that they will dry and evaporate on their own, otherwise if you push it, it stretches the plastic and there will be a bubble impression forever.
Lol. That hardly makes any sense to me, err hope it helps someone.

(I'm the crazy screen protector lady at the phone shop, lol)

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
I've done this 6 times for family and friends ,get it perfect every time ,the trick use a 16 ounce cup with water and fill with 5 to 8 good drops of dishwashing soap liquid , very soapy water , wet the Invisible shield like how you would wet a facial towel very wet , let the access water drip off apply and let dry , there will be very minimal bubbles when the invisible shield is very wet , just push it out if needed ,hope this helps if you give it a second try

mchank

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
If you can't get a replacement, try Body Armor kiosks at Best Buy. They'll do the application for you and they have special equipment to make it dry and adhere faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.