Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
My dad just heard about it, and he doesnt know how to use my mac so he wants me to do it if its stable and ready to use on a daily basis unlike the previous betas

monksealpup

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu, HI, USA
In my experience I would wait. It doesn't seem to be 100% stable -- a few quirks that are more significant than something that would make it into a shipping OS.

The primary reason I installed it early was the unified mailbox. Some of my apps launch and then crash. Sometimes (rarely) things cause the phone to freeze. The only apps that do multitasking are Apple's own stuff, which they pretty much all did before anyway.

Just chill for 1.5 weeks. It's not going to be fun and exciting until all the 4.0-approved apps come through the pipe anyway (and those cannot even be submitted until tomorrow, supposedly).

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
  1. It's a gold master candidate. That's an important distinction.
  2. It's been pretty trouble free for me so far, but then so were all the previous betas.
  3. Unless you or your father are paid devs and need iOS 4 installed for testing, I'd recommend holding off a couple of weeks for the legitimate (and Apple-supported) release.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
  1. It's a gold master candidate. That's an important distinction.
  2. It's been pretty trouble free for me so far, but then so were all the previous betas.
  3. Unless you or your father are paid devs and need iOS 4 installed for testing, I'd recommend holding off a couple of weeks for the legitimate (and Apple-supported) release.

currently it is out now, and people without the developer license are able to use it

however what problems have you guys run into? he says he just wants to use it on a daily basis without any hiccups, and i am also interested in this too since its seems pretty cool to have it early

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Without hiccups means he should wait. This has hiccups.

i see then, i guess well ill just tell him to try it on the ipod touch or something

what hiccups are there? are apps not working because they arent compatible with 4.0?

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I've had a couple of issues with the GM candidate.

For some reason, I can't set my lock screen wallpaper. It just stays black.

I received two e-mails yesterday - both showed up on my iPhone as being received 01/01/1970 and were completely blank. Showed up after a reboot though.

aedan86

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Ios 4 gm and car stereo

I seem to have stumbled across and interesting problem by where if I use the 30 pin connector and try and plug it into the car stereo (iPhone 3GS) it will sit there blinking "reading" and gets no further.
Any one got any clues to why this might be... Ok yes I do realise that it is still not a final release but still... Normally the car stereo will control the iPod ie songs and playlists are selected off the head unit not the phone

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Anybody can install iOS4 now. Your UDID no longer has to be activated. So just download the OS and shift restore in itunes and your good to go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.