PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rips

phenixdragon
Jun 10, 2010, 04:48 AM
I know how to rip DVDs to get them to converted to play within iTunes and other Apple products, such as the iPad. But it seems you have to encode the movie to work for each device. Is there a way to just rip it to know format/specs and when I sync my iPad up that it will automatically transfer to the iPad at the correct resolution? I don't know if I am explaining it right but I know when you buy something on iTunes it will just sync up to any Apple device you plug in and that's what I am trying to do with my DVDs.

spinnerlys
Jun 10, 2010, 04:55 AM
All the iPods with displays accept videos in .mp4 format (H264 codec) with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480, which is close to NTSC anyway.
The iPad accepts videos with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 720 (720p), but as DVDs are in SD anyway, why don't you just use the 640 x 480 (4:3) setting?

That way the video is compatible with both devices and the source is only slightly bigger (if at all, 720 x 480).

phenixdragon
Jun 10, 2010, 06:58 AM
I could but I do want to keep them at the native resolution for the iPad and also to watch on TV either Apple TV or another player.

spinnerlys
Jun 10, 2010, 07:06 AM
I could but I do want to keep them at the native resolution for the iPad and also to watch on TV either Apple TV or another player.

Then use the native resolution, 720 x 576 for PAL and 720 x 480 for NTSC, if no iPod is involved, as the iPad and the Apple TV can handle the native SD resolution.

phenixdragon
Jun 10, 2010, 09:34 AM
Well what I am wondering with that is if when the movies are copied to the iPad, does iTunes do anything to optimize it for the iPad such as making it smaller?

zedsdead
Jun 10, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well what I am wondering with that is if when the movies are copied to the iPad, does iTunes do anything to optimize it for the iPad such as making it smaller?

No. iTunes does not transcode video over the fly.