Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iveo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I have been having issues streaming video wirelessly from my Mac Pro to my Macbook Pro and I'm not sure what the problem is. Randomly (it seems) the video will lag and keep playing but I can still hear it playing. Sometimes it does it every couple minutes sometimes once a show. I never have any problems streaming to my WDTV though (that connection is wired). I stopped watching 720p video figuring that was the problem since the file is so big but it doesn't matter.

My internet connection isn't very fast also other people in the house use the internet connection but those should have no factor in the speed of the network correct?

Do I need a "N" router to get perfect playback?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
An 802.11n capable router would be better, as HD video, compressed though, can use up to 2MB/s, something 802.11a/b/g is not really capable of.

I have a 802.11n capable router (AEBS) and have no problem streaming 720p or 1080p content from one Mac to another, as I get around 7MB/s with that network.

iveo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
An 802.11n capable router would be better, as HD video, compressed though, can use up to 2MB/s, something 802.11a/b/g is not really capable of.

I have a 802.11n capable router (AEBS) and have no problem streaming 720p or 1080p content from one Mac to another, as I get around 7MB/s with that network.

Thanks for the FAST response! :D

I don't think my macbook is N compatible since I bought it in 2008. If I have this ...
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible, then won't have "N" support?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks for the FAST response! :D

I don't think my macbook is N compatible since I bought it in 2008. If I have this ...
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible, then won't have "N" support?

I have the 2008 MB and the 2007 iMac, both are 802.11n capable.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
oh great! Do you have a suggestion on what router I should get? I currently have a 2 wire 2700HG-B router/modem combo.

I have the AirPort Extreme Base Station, which is working like a charm, despite some hiccup every four months or so. It was an improvement over a D-Link router, which was constantly (once a week, if not more) showing me the finger.

Use MRoogle to find many wireless-N router recommendations threads.

iveo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I have the AirPort Extreme Base Station, which is working like a charm, despite some hiccup every four months or so. It was an improvement over a D-Link router, which was constantly (once a week, if not more) showing me the finger.

Use MRoogle to find many wireless-N router recommendations threads.

I was thinking about getting an AirPort Extreme. Will that work as a modem/router or can I use the 2Wire as the modem and the AirPort as the router? I really don't want to pay $170 for a router but I guess I'm paying for the :apple: name brand / customer service / reliability.

checking out MRoogle... haha very cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.