PDA

View Full Version : University Village, Seattle, WA

Eddyisgreat
Jun 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
Whose in? I already know a few people who will probably show up because they do every year lol (devs).

Last year they handed out t-shirts @ around 12-1 in the morning, after they were finished setting up the displays.

I expect a full continental breakfast this time around :p

optophobia
Jun 16, 2010, 12:40 PM
Bringing beers, and a grill, probably arrive before midnight .

Eddyisgreat
Jun 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
Bringing beers, and a grill, probably arrive before midnight .

heh I might bring down some mike's or something too.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
edit : I won't be there. Mods, feel free to delete this thread or someone who is going can take over.

edit : I'm going again lol.

Proph3T
Jun 20, 2010, 06:30 PM
thinking about going to u-village this time around. what's the chaos like there? how early would i need to get there to make sure I can get an iPhone since I wasn't able to pre order one?

Eddyisgreat
Jun 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
thinking about going to u-village this time around. what's the chaos like there? how early would i need to get there to make sure I can get an iPhone since I wasn't able to pre order one?

You didn't reserve one?

oooooooooooooo tough call. I know it's going to be busy even for those with reserves.

Might I suggest the ATT store located nearby? Apple might have more stock but you'll be waiting a long time, and if its anything like last time, the reserves will given priority at opening.

optophobia
Jun 20, 2010, 09:15 PM
You didn't reserve one?

oooooooooooooo tough call. I know it's going to be busy even for those with reserves.

Might I suggest the ATT store located nearby? Apple might have more stock but you'll be waiting a long time, and if its anything like last time, the reserves will given priority at opening.

Correct

Proph3T
Jun 21, 2010, 01:55 AM
yeah i had all kinds of issues getting stuff to work on the 15th and when i finally got it pre-ordered they said it wouldnt come until July 2nd. So i'm going to try to wait in line on the 24th to get one even if i have to wait for forever.

Jim82
Jun 21, 2010, 03:35 AM
yeah i had all kinds of issues getting stuff to work on the 15th and when i finally got it pre-ordered they said it wouldnt come until July 2nd. So i'm going to try to wait in line on the 24th to get one even if i have to wait for forever.

Hopefully it will be like the iPad launch at Alderwood. They had two line going; reserved/pre-ordered and those who were unable to. They were checking in everyone that was in the reserved line before the store open. They would let like 3 people in to the store from the reserve line for every one person from the non reserve line. But of course it was more people then that at a time, that just seemed to be the ratio. That was very very organized and went smoothly, not sure how many people were turned away in the end. When I got their I was like 30 back in the reserved line and by the time I left there were probably 150-200 people in the reserved line and same in non reserve.
I hope it's the same way this time around.

akarpy
Jun 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
midnight? wow.

i was planning to show up around 5, then again i was also planning to get to work before lunch.

went to the att store for the 3g launch, got there an hour before opening. left, with a phone(albeit a white one as they ran out of black), 2 hours later.

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
Anyone know if there's already a line here?

Wasn't able to get a preorder in on the 15th so I'm going to try to show up early tomorrow to get a phone...I was hoping I could show at like 5AM and get one? Store opens at 7. I tried calling but they wouldn't give me any idea of how many phones they had in stock.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone know if there's already a line here?

Wasn't able to get a preorder in on the 15th so I'm going to try to show up early tomorrow to get a phone...I was hoping I could show at like 5AM and get one? Store opens at 7. I tried calling but they wouldn't give me any idea of how many phones they had in stock.

YES

Four people in line as of 1:24.

I was told by the manager that they were all there for walkins.

I plan on going in at 7:00 (w/ reserve).

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
YES

Four people in line as of 1:24.

I was told by the manager that they were all there for walkins.

I plan on going in at 7:00 (w/ reserve).

Maybe I'll have to get there a little earlier, ugh. I take it they are doing 2 lines--one for reservations and one for walk-ins?

Did you ask anyone how many phones they had in stock?

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
Maybe I'll have to get there a little earlier, ugh. I take it they are doing 2 lines--one for reservations and one for walk-ins?

Did you ask anyone how many phones they had in stock?

Yes two lines like last year, One for reservations and one for walk-ins.

I didn't get an inventory check but the Black Shirt manager (dunno what his rank is but he seemed to have authority) I spoke to made it clear that I should get there as early as possible.

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 03:56 PM
For the 3GS they had a ton of phones...I showed up at like 4PM...waited in line (~150 people) for about 3-4 hours and they still had stock of all phones that evening when I left. Not sure if the iPhone 4 will be as well stocked though.

Did they do preorders for the 3GS?

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
They did preorders online (only) to be shipped to your house and reservations (only) to be picked up in store. So you couldn't preorder and pay for a phone and have it sit at the store .

And yes 3G[S] demand was high but this is the first time Apple has had to shut down the reservation system. For the 3G[S] you were able to get one pretty much whenever you wanted to up until launch. I was also able to get multiples (by accident, but I was able to). Not so this time around.

agirton
Jun 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Yes two lines like last year, One for reservations and one for walk-ins.

I didn't get an inventory check but the Black Shirt manager (dunno what his rank is but he seemed to have authority) I spoke to made it clear that I should get there as early as possible.

Black shirt is a business rep.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 05:26 PM
Black shirt is a business rep.

o

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
Any line updates? :)

I'd drive over there but Ballard is SOOO far away

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
Any line updates? :)

I'd drive over there but Ballard is SOOO far away

It's getting a tad bit longer not to mention confusing. Earlier they were lined up to the left which is most logical but now they're on the right, Which is infront of "The Ram" resturaunt.

chadsteruw
Jun 23, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's getting a tad bit longer not to mention confusing. Earlier they were lined up to the left which is most logical but now they're on the right, Which is infront of "The Ram" resturaunt.

If it was like the iPad line back in April, in front of the Ram is the non-reserved line. they'll line up the the reservations the opposite direction.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 07:52 PM
If it was like the iPad line back in April, in front of the Ram is the non-reserved line. they'll line up the the reservations the opposite direction.

//owned

Thank you. I just walked up and posted up at the end of the "no reservation" line. Then some gentleman asked me if I was there for the phone and I said "yes" then he told me basically what you said.

Lol I assumed that atleast one of them were there with a reservation but nope. I am accidentally first .

Dang I could have stayed at home and sat in the AC.

Anyway current count @ post time is uhh....

Reserve: 1
Non-Reserve : 12 (Estimate)

Edit: Just saw some lady walk by with hers, I'm assuming she got it early from Apple/Fed Ex. I ain't mad but u can tell she was trying to show it off i.e TROLLING.

chadsteruw
Jun 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
Edit: Just saw some lady walk by with hers, I'm assuming she got it early from Apple/Fed Ex. I ain't mad but u can tell she was trying to show it off i.e TROLLING.

LOL - My friend who got his in the mail did the same thing at the Southcenter store.

If you're first in the reservation line, I'll make sure to say hi. I'll be getting in line sometime between now and 7am ;)

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
Is the walk-in line getting longer?

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
Is the walk-in line getting longer?

Yup
I'd post a pic but vB and iOS don't get along.

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
Ergh maybe I should suck it up and just head over there now

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2010, 11:54 PM
No rush I think the 2:00 AM and earlier crowd is here. I expect it to ramp up at 2:30 or 3:00

AlvinNguyen
Jun 23, 2010, 11:57 PM
How's the reserved line looking guys? I'm thinking of showing up there at 3

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
How's the reserved line looking guys? I'm thinking of showing up there at 3

Take your time. There is a grand total of two people.

seandynamite
Jun 24, 2010, 12:09 AM
Meeting up with some work peeps around 6... all with reserves. Looking forward to it. :apple:

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 12:18 AM
Take your time. There is a grand total of two people.

Sweet thanks for the update bro! We should have macrumor ID badges haha

optophobia
Jun 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
Still only a couple of people in line there?

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
Yup the best part is that all the news crews are going straight to the guy at the front of the non reserved line asking questions lol

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 01:29 AM
I'm trying to upload some pics but I can't get mobileme to cooperate on Apple's wifi.

GO FIGURE.

scharlston
Jun 24, 2010, 03:18 AM
hows the line going? I told my mom to get there around 3 to 4 since im in spokane working tonight and tomorrow night :(...keep us posted please!

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 03:32 AM
hows the line going? I told my mom to get there around 3 to 4 since im in spokane working tonight and tomorrow night :(...keep us posted please!

Reserves : 16+

Non Reserves : 80+

Both Estimates. I know there is one lady in the non reserve line who isn't buying a phone so maybe others are too. I also tried to match bodies to chairs so...yea...

scharlston
Jun 24, 2010, 03:49 AM
alright cool..thanks man...keep us posted...i think im going to call her at 3 and make them get up...i want my damn phone! lol

canadianipad
Jun 24, 2010, 05:29 AM
I hope everyone in line is having fun. I had a god time during the launch of the iPad 3G + WiFi - was first in line. The staff at this Seattle Apple Store is great.
Enjoy your new phones - I'm so jealous - Canada doesn't get them until late July.:mad::apple:

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 06:09 AM
Wow the reservation line it about 30 people now. Just got here and set up camp in front of victories secret. I think the non reserved line is up to about 100+

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 06:15 AM
Wow the reservation line it about 30 people now. Just got here and set up camp in front of victories secret. I think the non reserved line is up to about 100+

//squint

Sorry can't see that far back :D

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
//squint

Sorry can't see that far back :D

Wonder if we spoke as I came in? I'm Asian and was with my girlfriend, I talk to a couple people at the front asking about which is the right line :D

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 06:44 AM
And you were wrong! They did go down the line and interviewed me :D must have been my crazy MBP / iPad setup lol

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 06:49 AM
And you were wrong! They did go down the line and interviewed me :D must have been my crazy MBP / iPad setup lol

Heh oops

JMark206
Jun 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
If anyone could give a report of how the pre-order line is shaping up, it'd be appreciated! Also, if those in the front of line could give a quick update on how long it took to activate, that would be great too!

Is Apple letting people take the phone home to activate?

westkoast
Jun 24, 2010, 08:49 AM
I'd say 100+

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
Got in after only 15 min and I was about 30th in the reserved line. The none reserved is impossible to move through! There is probly over 300 people now! Apple employee is telling me it will take until nightfall before they can get through everyone!

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
I walked in first and got bumrushed by the media when I walked out ugh.

But i'm tempted to go back and film once my damn phone starts working again lol it's stuck on "no signal". Typical ATT :rolleyes:

Good luck to you guys

chead
Jun 24, 2010, 01:51 PM
I went down there today and just drove through because I slept in on accident...anyways an employee told me the huge line was for reserved. Anyone get in line around 10 and got there phone yet?

PitcherIPA
Jun 24, 2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, that was a tiring experience, but overall pretty fun actually (until some people behind me started complaining like little kids).

I didn't have a reservation.

Arrived around 4am, didn't check the reserved line. Got in the non-reserved line, which stretched around to the parking lot behind the Ram.

By 7am I was turning the corner at the front of the Ram. From the corner to entrance into the store took another ~4.5 hours.

The whole time I was there the line for reserved stretched all the way around the mall past Aveda. Heard estimates of 1000+ in reserved line, hundreds in non-reserved line. By the time I left at 12 noonish, the reserved line was still almost to Aveda, as people just kept getting in line.

The non-Reserved line moved extremely slow as the managers were letting in 1 non-reserved person for every 15 people with reservations. This made many people in my line restless, but I think it's a good policy to honor reservations no matter what so Apple was doing what they had to do. There should be phones for everyone who wants, but if you go down there now I would estimate a 3 hour wait for those with reservations and a 6-9 hour wait for those without reservations, hard to estimate depending on how quickly they get through the customers.

The activation process was very smooth, my new 16GB iPhone 4 was set up and accepting calls. Paid $217.94 w/ 2 year contract.

The Apple employees were pleasant (although maybe a bit too earnest). The managers kept buying food throughout the day including Smart water, Top Pot donuts, Starbucks coffee, and appetizers from the Ram. Also, received free Oatmeal from Jamba Juice, free Lemonade from Honest Tea, and a free T-Shirt and iPhone 4 case from some website.

Overall, thumbs up to the Apple Store staff and to the 80% of people in line who weren't acting like whiny children.

fluffykittunzzz
Jun 24, 2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, that was a tiring experience, but overall pretty fun actually (until some people behind me started complaining like little kids).

I didn't have a reservation.

Arrived around 4am, didn't check the reserved line. Got in the non-reserved line, which stretched around to the parking lot behind the Ram.

By 7am I was turning the corner at the front of the Ram. From the corner to entrance into the store took another ~4.5 hours.

The whole time I was there the line for reserved stretched all the way around the mall past Aveda. Heard estimates of 1000+ in reserved line, hundreds in non-reserved line. By the time I left at 12 noonish, the reserved line was still almost to Aveda, as people just kept getting in line.

The non-Reserved line moved extremely slow as the managers were letting in 1 non-reserved person for every 15 people with reservations. This made many people in my line restless, but I think it's a good policy to honor reservations no matter what so Apple was doing what they had to do. There should be phones for everyone who wants, but if you go down there now I would estimate a 3 hour wait for those with reservations and a 6-9 hour wait for those without reservations, hard to estimate depending on how quickly they get through the customers.

The activation process was very smooth, my new 16GB iPhone 4 was set up and accepting calls. Paid $217.94 w/ 2 year contract.

The Apple employees were pleasant (although maybe a bit too earnest). The managers kept buying food throughout the day including Smart water, Top Pot donuts, Starbucks coffee, and appetizers from the Ram. Also, received free Oatmeal from Jamba Juice, free Lemonade from Honest Tea, and a free T-Shirt and iPhone 4 case from some website.

Overall, thumbs up to the Apple Store staff and to the 80% of people in line who weren't acting like whiny children.

You must have been really close to me in line...I arrived around 4:30. Walked away with 2 new 32GB iPhones around 12:30, about 8 hours later. Lots of free stuff. Probably wouldn't have shown up though had I known it was gonna take 8 hours...the line slowed a lot later on when they started letting a massive # of preorder people in.

AlvinNguyen
Jun 24, 2010, 03:46 PM
You must have been really close to me in line...I arrived around 4:30. Walked away with 2 new 32GB iPhones around 12:30, about 8 hours later. Lots of free stuff. Probably wouldn't have shown up though had I known it was gonna take 8 hours...the line slowed a lot later on when they started letting a massive # of preorder people in.

That's pretty crazy but at least you guys were able to get them. Ingot in at 7:15 and mine was done at 7:30 but my gf had AT&T server issue (no connection) and that took a while but we were done by 8:30 nonetheless. I was REALLY happy and now I'm posting from the iPhone 4! Goodlucl guys and as long as you get a phone today I don't think it's a waste of time at all! I was there at around 4AM too but talking to other Apple fans were fun :) see you guys at the next launch!

Eddyisgreat
Jun 24, 2010, 05:04 PM
ya glad everyone got their phones. That line for walkins was pretty long indeed because alot of people didn't know about reserves and wouldn't have been able to past the first...what...8 or so hours before ATT's servers died and reservations were shut down.

I feel kind of bad for being let in ahead of the guy who was at the front of the non reserve line. He had already been there for 5-6 hours before I moseyed on down lol. I guess those are the rules.

jjohn
Jun 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
FYI, an hour ago, I was able to just walk in to the uvillagestore and pick up a phone. No line whatsoever. Whole process took under 5 minutes.

CocoaPuffs
Jun 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Same with the Bel Square line. Funny how a day makes such huge difference, far different than initial 3G launch.