Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallaisen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Hey,

I have the following setup:

-imac 27
-macbook pro
-mac mini used exclusively for a home theather with plex
-airport extreme
-250gb external hd
-1tb external hd (with power supply)

For different reasons I am currently on a network with an old linksys router, but am planning ahead for when Im switching to the Aiport Extreme. Will I be able to plug the 1tb external hd into the USB port of the Airport Extreme and access it from all my different macs? Will I be able to stream from the HD in plex on the mac mini? Even HD-videos? The 1tb hd is currently formatted as ms dos fat32. Will I have to format it to Mac OS X format for it to be accessed on the network? Will I be able to plug a usb hub into the airport extreme and then connect both the 1tb and the 250gb hd with that hub and access both of them on the network?

Also, will the wifi network be fast enough for me to use the 1tb hd on my imac as storage for vidoes to be watched on the mac mini with plex?

Thanks!

PS. The reason why I would like to do this is to get the external hd away from the livingroom if anyone was wondering.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. Yes, you can then access the HD from any Mac. FAT32 is fine but it doesn't support over 4GB files so for high quality movies, that may cause issues thus I would format it to HFS+.

2. Yes, you can use USB hub but get one with external power supply i.e. not bus powered

3. Airport Extreme supports wireless N which stream 1080p fine

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
when i tried streaming through the airport extreme i got jumpy lag. It was on standard def and the base station is not far from the ATV (although in a different room).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.